Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  04:05:16  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Ed, on another scroll, a scribe was wondering what it would take to make something similar to Evermead.

Have any suggestions?

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

618 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  11:11:07  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Only thing in the article that made me wince was the "dhergodemon" mention but I am sure that was more of a plug by some 4E Editor than it was Ed.

I sort of accepted that change - they are from chaos-tainted yugoloths banished in the Heart of Darkness purge. Their inherent elemental nature is still doubtful tough.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1136 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2013 :  23:20:55  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
For an upcoming session I want to start in a small elven village, but I was wondering if such elven settlements have any smithies in them at all? If so, Ed, what forges are used by Torilian elven mastercraftsmen to craft their famous steel/mithril blades, armor and arrowheads? I cant imagine all elven craftsmen travelling to nearby dwarven or human forges for making their weapons.

I imagine they don't use traditional firewood consuming forges because they tend to eat up a lot of fuel (albeit wood, charcoal or bitumen) and pose fire threats to the forest if the nearby trees are not specially warded against extreme heat. Did elves come up with a 'cold forging method' thats relatively safe to use in their preferred forest envorins or do they require magic wards for every metalsmith in their communities? Are elven smiths perhaps forced to work outside of the forest (in specially chosen areas well isolated to the trees)?

Thanks in advance!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

146 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  03:35:35  Show Profile  Send Cbad285 an AOL message  Send Cbad285 a Yahoo! Message Send Cbad285 a Private Message
I've posted this topic in the general chat, but was processed here.

Here is my question for Ed.

I work at Dragonmead Microbrewery in Warren MI and I'm working on brewing a real life version of Evermead, but I do not know exactly what the mead would consist of. So the question has two parts.

What are the ingredients to Evermead

and two,

Where can I find sources that describe the taste and texture of the mead?
Any help would be much appreciated!

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  16:56:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Cbad285, I'll try to get hold of Ed and squeeze a reply out of him for you, but from my notes, I find this much (which isn't much):

"Evermead is a rhodomel (honey with attar [[distillate of rose petals]])"

Hoping Ed can supply much more...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2013 :  17:05:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And one of Ed's longtime fencing partners saw the above post and e-mailed me with more:

Ed once told me evermead is a sweet (but not cloyingly sweet) mead "spiced up" with cherry juice, vanilla beans, and rose petals - - actual rose petals. This was after I stopped making batches of mead, when diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Boy, mead gave me WHAMMO hangovers.

And there you have it: a little more. I'm not sure Ed has an actual recipe to share, mind you...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 16 Mar 2013 17:06:18
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  02:02:47  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Are there such thing as Think Tanks (Groups of collective thinking on any topic/topics) or their equalivant in the Realms? What are they called? Could you give Examples?

Please and thank you?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 17 Mar 2013 02:03:11
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  20:05:42  Show Profile  Visit Razz's Homepage  Send Razz an AOL message Send Razz a Private Message
Did my Unrolling Scroll question get seen? Apologies if it has, I am not yet used to this thread's workings yet.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29784 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2013 :  21:24:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Did my Unrolling Scroll question get seen? Apologies if it has, I am not yet used to this thread's workings yet.

No question in Ed's thread goes unseen by him; his Lovely Hooded Emissary passes on everything to him, sometimes including discussions on other threads.

Here's the thing: Ed is one insanely busy guy. He has a creative output to rival that of the hypothetical Shakespearean monkeys, on top of a day job and other commitments. On top of that, he doesn't always have the answer to any given question readily available -- there is much Realmslore to be found piled in boxes and such in his legendary basement. And on top of that, he treads an ever-shifting minefield of NDAs and projects he has to avoid speaking on. Sometimes he can't even mention an NDA without giving something away.

So, long story short -- your question has been forwarded to Ed. He may answer within hours, you may be waiting for a few years... I've got unanswered questions going back at least 3 or 4 years, myself. I've gotten almost immediate answers, and I've gotten answers so much later that I'd forgotten I'd asked the question.

Heck, even being able to email him directly doesn't guarantee a swift answer to a lore question...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  01:27:20  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Are there such thing as Think Tanks (Groups of collective thinking on any topic/topics) or their equalivant in the Realms? What are they called? Could you give Examples?

Please and thank you?

Oooo! Cool question.

As an addendum to this, Ed, I'd also be curious to hear whether any of the Realms' more prominent personages, have ever been a part of these "think tanks?"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  07:41:06  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ed, who is the most resurrected being in your campaign to date?

Who is the most infamous band of "Robin Hood" style villains, robbing merchants, caravans, other adventurers and such yet never killing anyone at least not purposely, even attempting to heal those they hurt severely? How long did they last?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29784 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  13:14:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

We know Nain Keenwhistler has the record in Waterdeep, for the most resurrections...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  15:09:09  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

We know Nain Keenwhistler has the record in Waterdeep, for the most resurrections...

Which does remind me... I really need to reference every single one of those. Including the various ways in which Nain died each time.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2013 :  22:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Razz's Homepage  Send Razz an AOL message Send Razz a Private Message
quote:

So, long story short -- your question has been forwarded to Ed. He may answer within hours, you may be waiting for a few years... I've got unanswered questions going back at least 3 or 4 years, myself. I've gotten almost immediate answers, and I've gotten answers so much later that I'd forgotten I'd asked the question.

Heck, even being able to email him directly doesn't guarantee a swift answer to a lore question...

Ah ok, thanks for clearing it up. I forget he has to root through both NDA and cross reference with what he has or what another designer has in mind before saying anything.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29784 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  04:54:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Ah ok, thanks for clearing it up. I forget he has to root through both NDA and cross reference with what he has or what another designer has in mind before saying anything.

Not a problem. We all want our Edlore!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  06:08:30  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

And I know the archives themselves are still being updated, Razz, but if either you or any other scribes are concerned that you may have missed important replies to your queries, in future, simply PM me, and I'll search through the compiled files -- including those that have yet to be updated on the main site.

Go to Top of Page

wozniak1995
Seeker

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  14:30:34  Show Profile Send wozniak1995 a Private Message
Who is currently the best or most powerfull spellcaster in the realms?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  15:09:45  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Was reading about the possible discovery of a Viking "sunstone" in the Englilsh channel. Got me wondering how the average realms ship without a wizard or magic items managed to navigate in foul weather. Especially extended periods without sunlight and stars.

http://21stcenturywire.com/2013/03/09/fabled-viking-sunstone-crystal-believed-to-be-found-at-bottom-of-english-channel/

edit: i meant to ask about ships without a wizard or magic items navigating in weather with no visible sun and/or stars.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 19 Mar 2013 22:20:42
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Learned Scribe

84 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  15:46:38  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
I was wondering whether there are 'international crimes' in the Realms, that is to say wrongful acts considered as unlawful regardless of where they are committed and even if they are not considered as such under the law of one city-State or State. If so, would priests of Tyr and now Torm be the most likely official enforcers of such international norms given the justice portfolio of those deities? In such a case, do they have authorization to persecute and perhaps prosecute (logically someone different from those orders to avoid their being enforcers and juges) offenders?
Thanks to both Ed and THO!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2013 :  15:53:52  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Was reading about the possible discovery of a Viking "sunstone" in the Englilsh channel. Got me wondering how the average realms ship with a wizard or magic items managed to navigate in foul weather. Especially extended periods without sunlight and stars.

http://21stcenturywire.com/2013/03/09/fabled-viking-sunstone-crystal-believed-to-be-found-at-bottom-of-english-channel/

Historically, there were several methods of navigation, referring to the stars the most famous. The sun and moon were the other points to follow for celestial navigation. Beyond that, experienced sailors can refer to landmarks (sail within sight of land or from point to point), follow known wind patterns, and follow known ocean/sea currents.

Magic would make these things unnecessary of course. A simple find the path can tell you where to go. Dragon Mag had a some spells about sailing including some for navigating.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  00:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
I have a few follow ups to Eldacar's question on pg. 12 for Ed as I recently acquired the Magic of Incarnum book. Are there any known/high profile Incarnum practitioners/users in the Realms? Would they be more likely to be found in any one particular area?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest

Edited by - Tyrant on 20 Mar 2013 00:22:44
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  02:14:11  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, with the coming of 4e, one of my pet peeves was that the succubus was changed to being a devil. My question, is Malcanthet Queen of the Succubi now an archdevil in the heart of the Abyss or does she remain a demon lord with dominion over demonic succubi? or are all succbi devils?

As a side note, are all the erinyes just beastly and ugly, or do they retain some semblace of celestial beauty?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  02:29:51  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

Dear Ed and THO, with the coming of 4e, one of my pet peeves was that the succubus was changed to being a devil. My question, is Malcanthet Queen of the Succubi now an archdevil in the heart of the Abyss or does she remain a demon lord with dominion over demonic succubi? or are all succbi devils?

As a side note, are all the erinyes just beastly and ugly, or do they retain some semblace of celestial beauty?

I might be able to answer it, at least the first question. The "Wandering Monster" article on Wizards of the Coast has what the development team is doing with monsters. With 5th edition... The Succubus is a Demon Again, but one which seems to be working both sides of the fence.

From the article:
quote:
Succubus-Tempting Demon. A succubus in its natural form appears as a beautiful human woman with horns and huge, batlike wings. Physically the weakest of the demons (except the pathetic manes), succubi use their magical abilities to secure servants and allies for their own protection, ruling through wit and threat rather than a raw show of power. They are not very discriminating in their choice of servitors, selecting from among other demons, devils, yugoloths, and even mortals as the opportunity arises. This might account for the mistaken impression among some mortal sages that succubi are actually devils, rather than demons. Their magical abilities reinforce this role: they can charm, suggest, dominate, and otherwise control weaker-willed creatures, as well as change shape and read thoughts well enough to maintain complex disguises. Succubi have high Intelligence and Charisma scores, but low Strength scores. They are resistant to weapon damage unless the weapon is magic or made of cold-forged iron.

The Article is:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4wand/20121120

They had a poll too on the succubus on should she be a demon, devil both or neither?

This article from the next week show the vote:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4wand/20121127

I hope no one minds me answering this in my own way. Now back to Mr. Greenwood.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  13:10:06  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message
What happened to Elminster's space station. Did it suffer the Spellplauge?

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2013 :  22:01:52  Show Profile  Visit Razz's Homepage  Send Razz an AOL message Send Razz a Private Message
I don't understand why they couldn't leave the core D&D monster mythology alone?

Sorry. Need a new thread for that topic, I know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000