Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14152 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  15:35:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Sitting here with 32" of snow outside my door... I'm sure Ed knows what thats like (and for once I can't tell him to stop sending it this way - this one came from the south).

So it makes me think - what do the folks of the Realms do when things get this bad? Does a nation like Cormyr have War Wizards clearing snow from 'essential services'? Would a city like Silverymoon (being far North) have permanent things in place to keep snow from accumulating?

I'm just trying to kill time myself - not looking forward to going outside for the dig-out.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Feb 2013 15:36:22
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  20:23:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Ed is snowed in, too, and sends me this response to Markustay:

Snowbound folk in the Realms mostly just sit such severe weather out, in as secure shelter as they can find (remember, packs of wolves and other predators will get hungry in such conditions, and venture out as soon as they can). That's what all the drying, preserving, cutting firewood, et al is for. Folk in Cormyr and other heavy-snow regions have snowshoes (mainly of the "bearpaw" style that lack long "tails" that can get caught in rocks and treetrunks) and sledges (for towing loads atop/"over" snow).
Silverymoon has wards that keep the temperature comfortably high (avoiding ice but creating fog), and that can be "set" to repel falling snow like a giant dome - - so most of it will end up in/on the river, and be carried away. Usually a light snowfall is "allowed in" to wash down the streets, water plants, etc., but once more than an inch or two has fallen, the warming (and wind-slowing) wards are "tightened" by one of the mages serving the city to shed anything more falling from the sky.
Suzail has no such protections, but the War Wizards do use spells to clear major streets by literally blowing deep-piled snow out into the harbor, and frequently temporarily raise temperature to melt treacherous ice underfoot (though used rushes, "out" cinders, and the like are used as traction aids). Note that many cities, Suzail included, are ports that enjoy the moderating effects of the large bodies of water they are adjacent to. One of the reasons that Waterdeep developed into such a populous city is the seaward protection of Mount Waterdeep, that shields much of the oldest part of the city from gales blowing onshore. "Ice rime" forms on seaward faces of many Waterdhavian buildings in the winter, but the Watchful Order magists magically melt dangerous roofloads (that might plummet down on the heads of pedestrians below).
However, most Faerunians just hunker down and wait.
Please bear in mind that most inhabited areas of the Realms where snow is a prevalent problem retain far more trees and bushes than most heavily-populated real-world areas; they trap and steer drifts and falling snow, and enable locals who know the terrain to move about in limited ways. Severe weather doesn't hamper your commute - - it usually prohibits EVERYONE'S commute, is expected to, and so has no negative social/employment implications.

So saith Ed. Who tries to "be there" for the Realms and those who love it, regardless of the weather.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  22:08:49  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Inspired by the finding of Richard III's grave (and me probably parking on it a few times!) I was wondering if there are any 'lost' Obarskyr graves in and around Cormyr or legends of such?(i.e legends say that prince longnose lies buried under the shattered oak north of Wheloon etc). Or have the Crown/Mage Royals/War Wizards et al always ensured that an Obarskyr body is recovered no matter what the cost?

Also do the/did the Obarskyrs and the Silver families have/had any favourite places to dispose of 'enemies of the Crown'? Am wondering how full the Vast Swamp is of tyrant lords, mad marchionesses and noble rebels against the dragon throne?

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2013 :  22:44:28  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

Iíve just finished collecting names (204 of them!) and bits of lore from my paperback copy of Elminster Must Die and I have a boatload of question to ask.

Iíll start with a small handful:

A shield is briefly mentioned on page 320 that winks and glows when nobles bring things they shouldnít have to places they like to congregate. By page 323 Elminster appears to know a certain elder Lady Illanceís guards are in the palace, with poisoned blades.

Q. Does that shield detect poison? Does it respond to command words or prompts to provide more details (perhaps forgotten by the Year of the Ageless One)? Is its range more or less the length and breadth of the Royal Palace? Was it enspelled by a wizard or a cleric?

Elminster clunks around in a suit of King Duarís armor (on page 324) that sports an enchanted codpiece.

Q. What is the nature of the enchantment(s) on that piece of armor?

On page 343, Mirt confuses The Nine with the Naughty Nine.

Q. Can you tell us a little more about the dancers comprising the Naughty Nine? Did they all hail from Waterdeep or were they Sword Coast travelers? Were they all human? Did they cater to any social group in particular (nobles, moneylenders or not so secret Lords of Waterdeep)?

Page 360 describes a war wizardís desiccated corpse thatís found by Elminster in a secret passage of the Royal Palace.

Q. Was this war wizard from before or after Vangerdahastís time? Is there anything you can tell us about the wizard (beyond the magical pendant he or she wore)? Was the wizard up to no good when he or she fell prey to the spike trap?

Thank you both very much.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 09 Feb 2013 22:45:11
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  01:01:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Damian, you're on to something.
These questions happen to be about things Ed and I have discussed in the past, so although I can't give anything like a definitive or comprehensive answer, I can say the Wizards of War, from Vangerdahast's rise to power onwards, are formally charged with recovering (every last bit of) every royal corpse (and known royal bastards) - - and that Vangey's predecessors made sure that royal remains were brought to the royal crypt whenever possible, so although there are indeed both lost Obarskyr graves and legends of such (the legends outstripping the reality), they are few - - and none of those remaining will be easily found.
And yes, the Vast Swamp received many remains, although the combined efforts of its denizens usually devour the dead utterly (yes, including bones), so it isn't a large stew of nascent undead and candidates for resurrection.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  01:05:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Jeremy, I need Ed to answer your superb questions, and can only go this far: he did once tell me that dessicated wizard was from before Vangey's time.
And I THINK (but my recollections are hazy, so could be wrong) that the shield you refer to was partly enchanted by Elminster, and involves locally influencing the Weave.
For the rest, we'll have to wait until Ed responds.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1361 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  16:26:04  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Hello THO and Ed,

Iíve just finished collecting names (204 of them!) and bits of lore from my paperback copy of Elminster Must Die and I have a boatload of question to ask.

Iíll start with a small handful:

A shield is briefly mentioned on page 320 that winks and glows when nobles bring things they shouldnít have to places they like to congregate. By page 323 Elminster appears to know a certain elder Lady Illanceís guards are in the palace, with poisoned blades.

Q. Does that shield detect poison? Does it respond to command words or prompts to provide more details (perhaps forgotten by the Year of the Ageless One)? Is its range more or less the length and breadth of the Royal Palace? Was it enspelled by a wizard or a cleric?

Elminster clunks around in a suit of King Duarís armor (on page 324) that sports an enchanted codpiece.

Q. What is the nature of the enchantment(s) on that piece of armor?

On page 343, Mirt confuses The Nine with the Naughty Nine.

Q. Can you tell us a little more about the dancers comprising the Naughty Nine? Did they all hail from Waterdeep or were they Sword Coast travelers? Were they all human? Did they cater to any social group in particular (nobles, moneylenders or not so secret Lords of Waterdeep)?

Page 360 describes a war wizardís desiccated corpse thatís found by Elminster in a secret passage of the Royal Palace.

Q. Was this war wizard from before or after Vangerdahastís time? Is there anything you can tell us about the wizard (beyond the magical pendant he or she wore)? Was the wizard up to no good when he or she fell prey to the spike trap?

Thank you both very much.

I'm sure many scribes, including myself would love to see your posted notes if they are shareable. :)
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  17:53:22  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Hello, I have some questions for the Fourth going into Fifth edition of the Realms, assuming there is not a huge time skip.

Could you describe the Wyvernspur Noble family of Cormyr in this time frame? Perhaps with some sample members (wondering if I could use them as a character or a personal connection to a character).

Has any nation, like Cormyr, ever thought of creating a stable air force to gain air dominance?

Sorry... lost my train of thought in a mountain, if it comes out the tunnel I will add more.

Additional: Train came out...

Even if you didn't create them...

Are Alias and her sisters immortal or alive in this time period. If not, are their descendants are, and could you describe them and any effects of being blood to an Alias vessel might be?

Please and Thank you. If you answer you get this fat free calorie free imaginary cookie.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 10 Feb 2013 17:56:44
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14152 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  19:56:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
@Damian - Great Question!

Thanks for all the wonderful answers THO and Ed (and not just to my own queries above).

Spent all day yesterday digging out my (very long) driveway, and the town/county never showed up to plow. Its still not plowed - in 4WD I made it five house away before I had to turn around (and got stuck doing so). I used to love snow... now, not so much.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  20:19:53  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
<jumps in really quick>
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I'm sure many scribes, including myself would love to see your posted notes if they are shareable. :)
I don't plan to make the notes available in their raw form.

However, I've posted all the names I've found to a wiki page on the WotC website HERE.

The remainder of the notes I'm slowly organizing into chunks of lore and posting them in the Realmslore sub-forum at Loremaster.org.

</jumps back out>

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 10 Feb 2013 20:20:49
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  03:50:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sorry, Foxhelm, but by longstanding agreement between Ed and Jeff Grubb, details of the Wyvernspur family are left to Jeff to divulge, if he wishes (and largely, he hasn't done so, thus far). The Wyvernspur clan is an Ed creation, but the development and detailing of the Wyvernspurs in the published Realms are entirely the work of Jeff Grubb and his wife Kate.
However, all of your queries have been sent on to Ed, to see what he will answer . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  04:09:46  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Sorry, Foxhelm, but by longstanding agreement between Ed and Jeff Grubb, details of the Wyvernspur family are left to Jeff to divulge, if he wishes (and largely, he hasn't done so, thus far). The Wyvernspur clan is an Ed creation, but the development and detailing of the Wyvernspurs in the published Realms are entirely the work of Jeff Grubb and his wife Kate.
However, all of your queries have been sent on to Ed, to see what he will answer . . .
love,
THO

So either I have to be lucky in that Jeff Grubb answers or lets Ed answer, make it up myself... or develop telepathic powers and dig into the mind of Mr. Grubb.

Any tips on gaining telepathic powers?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5955 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  13:52:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Sitting here with 32" of snow outside my door... I'm sure Ed knows what thats like (and for once I can't tell him to stop sending it this way - this one came from the south).

So it makes me think - what do the folks of the Realms do when things get this bad? Does a nation like Cormyr have War Wizards clearing snow from 'essential services'? Would a city like Silverymoon (being far North) have permanent things in place to keep snow from accumulating?

I'm just trying to kill time myself - not looking forward to going outside for the dig-out.

I'll just say, many human children are born nine months later

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14152 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  16:49:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I've noted a couple of 'Zhentil Keep outposts' on various maps. Do the Zhents name these, or simply number them? I assume there has to be some method of identifying them individually.

If they have names, would you be so kind as to provide a few 'Zhent-sounding' names for them? Many Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  06:08:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello again THO and Ed!

Curiosity is gnawing away at me, so I have to ask: what language are the words of awakening used to activate blueflame items (as found in Elminster Must Die, pages 207-208), if any?

Is it Loross? Or a combination of old languages?

Or are the words just "magic words" and not really of any language?

Thank you both!

Go to Top of Page

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  19:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message
I have an unusual question - been percolating in the back of my mind for a while.

From a sales / real world perspective I understand why this wouldn't have happened. But from an in-world perspective, particularly Elminster's, I'm curious why he never went this route:

After Mystra's murder, which led to the spellplague and so forth, why did Elminster never use one of the known time-gates to go back in time and stop it from happening? Elminster had to know of these gates, and with Mystra dead (or functionally so) there was no god or goddess to enforce the "policy" on time travel. Or is this a kind of catch-22 thing, where even if El had gone back in time, the Mystra or Mystryl alive in that past would have been deaf or unresponsive to the future Elminster's warnings? As goddess of time, I'd find it hard to believe she'd plug her ears to such a warning.

Or did Elminster try it - and it failed for some reason? If so, what might that be?

Perhaps more importantly, is there some reason or temporal magic issue that might prevent a group of post-Spellplague adventurers from utilizing a time gate and attempting to create an alternate timeline? Do Mystryl's chronomancy travel rules apply whether a god or goddess of magic exists?

Edited by - Laeknir on 12 Feb 2013 19:26:37
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  21:21:08  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Laeknir

I have an unusual question - been percolating in the back of my mind for a while.

From a sales / real world perspective I understand why this wouldn't have happened. But from an in-world perspective, particularly Elminster's, I'm curious why he never went this route:

After Mystra's murder, which led to the spellplague and so forth, why did Elminster never use one of the known time-gates to go back in time and stop it from happening? Elminster had to know of these gates, and with Mystra dead (or functionally so) there was no god or goddess to enforce the "policy" on time travel. Or is this a kind of catch-22 thing, where even if El had gone back in time, the Mystra or Mystryl alive in that past would have been deaf or unresponsive to the future Elminster's warnings? As goddess of time, I'd find it hard to believe she'd plug her ears to such a warning.

Or did Elminster try it - and it failed for some reason? If so, what might that be?

Perhaps more importantly, is there some reason or temporal magic issue that might prevent a group of post-Spellplague adventurers from utilizing a time gate and attempting to create an alternate timeline? Do Mystryl's chronomancy travel rules apply whether a god or goddess of magic exists?

Maybe Mystra wanted it to happen?
Go to Top of Page

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  01:40:55  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Maybe Mystra wanted it to happen?

I suppose that's possible, but usually gods don't like to lose their power and control over their portfolios. In the latest Elminster book, Mystra did not seem to possess much of her knowledge and essence - well, at least until the Simbul and El did their thing at the end. So it's a curious thing.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
14152 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  18:43:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I think its either a self-correcting thing (which the D&D supplement Chronomancer alludes to), where no matter what you did you can't stop it (and may even be RESPONSIBLE for it happening in the first place), or you create an alternate reality that the 'you' is from, and the reality you fix isn't yours (at least not anymore).

Or it could just be that post-plague the time portals all 'went on the fritz'.

New Question: I once asked about famous Earth personages (who have mysteriously disappeared) that may have wound-up on Toril. That was never answered, so now I have an add-on (or entirely new question if you prefer) - have any RW groups made their way over to Toril? I'm not talking about 'cultures' - we know about a few of those. I'm talking about the Knights Templar, Free Masons, the Illuminati, the Amish, etc - anything at all like that. Maybe even a bunch of Nazis in a cheesy 50's B-movie fashion?

Go to Top of Page

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  20:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think its either a self-correcting thing (which the D&D supplement Chronomancer alludes to), where no matter what you did you can't stop it (and may even be RESPONSIBLE for it happening in the first place), or you create an alternate reality that the 'you' is from, and the reality you fix isn't yours (at least not anymore).

Or it could just be that post-plague the time portals all 'went on the fritz'.

Well, possibly. Still, I'm hoping for some detailed answers to my Q's from Ed & THO, which is why I asked here rather than in General.

Edited by - Laeknir on 14 Feb 2013 01:18:42
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  02:21:21  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Fellow scribes, please, I ask that you remember that this scroll and those of other designers, are exclusively set aside for questions to and answers from the designers themselves.

It's making my task of compiling these scrolls for inclusion on the mainsite somewhat more difficult when I have to navigate through side-chatter from other scribes.

Thus, I would again request that we all try to keep the side-chatter to a minimum. If a point of interest in a question or answer to/from Ed sparks further discussion, I would prefer that it be taken to another shelf.

Thank you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  01:22:01  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
It's too quiet in here. So... moar questions! Maybe something with room for a touch of spice, for THO.

When illustrations are made for races, classes, prestige classes, etc, where the caption only identifies the race/class/whatever, does anyone officially decide who these individuals are (and generally just neglect to inform us; how rude)? If the author doesn't decide on an identity, essentially just introducing a face with no story, do you create an identity for them and introduce them to your players?

Example: the woman identified only as "Durthan" on page 23 of Unapproachable East. Who is she? What's her story? In a no-magic wrestling match between her and Laeral, who would pin whom and how many spectators would faint?

PS: there are many other examples, as you probably know, so you should expect --if you're inclined toward spontaneously inventing an identity for her just to address this query-- dozens more NPCs will appear in similar questions in the near future, from myself or similarly sadistic scribes. I unabashedly put a floodgate in front of you.

PPS: even if the answer is no, you don't invent stories for unidentified NPCs in pictures (you're not fooling me, by the way) I'd still like to hear about the wrestling match.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  04:19:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
xaeyruudh, Ed DOES invent names and stories for Realmslore illustrations, but only for our home campaign (back in the old TSR days, such names were shared back and forth with staff designers, because Ed had far more of a "spokesman for the Realms" role back then, and didn't want to inadvertently contradict lore someone else was about to reveal or had cooked up for a future product).
However, Ed has told me that he's not going to "go public" with his labelings of illustrations, due to these same consistency concerns. As for the wrestling match you posit, he doubts any spectators would faint (if they were queazy, they wouldn't remain as spectators), and his money would be on Laeral.
Who's "a bit of a spitfire," according to Ed, who added mysteriously: "As you'll see."
(!)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  06:37:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Queazy wouldn't my first guess for anyone's reaction, but I suppose there are folks who just don't like good clean (or preferably dirty) fun. The issue of consistency/flexibility is understandable. Bit of a downer, but a very reasonable one. And I was already thinking Laeral had some fire (other than Mystra's) but I'm looking forward to seeing more evidence of it!

So I guess the answer to the unasked portion of my earlier question is that these illustrations are not always/generally identified by authors; some/many of them remain open for individual DMs to assign names and personalities to... At least until/unless a designer or author says "hey I'm thinking this character I wrote about looks like Whozatguy on page X of The Whatchamacallit of Plumzarguud."

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  20:08:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring you the latest words from Ed of the Greenwood, this time in response to this, from Laeknir: "I have an unusual question - been percolating in the back of my mind for a while. From a sales / real world perspective I understand why this wouldn't have happened. But from an in-world perspective, particularly Elminster's, I'm curious why he never went this route:
Perhaps more importantly, is there some reason or temporal magic issue that might prevent a group of post-Spellplague adventurers from utilizing a time gate and attempting to create an alternate timeline? Do Mystryl's chronomancy travel rules apply whether a god or goddess of magic exists?"
Ed replies:

Ah, a good question indeed.
First, I'd like to say to Markustay (re. "Or it could just be that post-plague the time portals all 'went on the fritz'.") that although many gates/portals "went wild" or only functioned intermittently or even faded away or blew up as the Spellplague raged, they didn't all go awry. All "time portals" DID stop functioning, and attempts to use them by spell resulted in deadly "wild" magic rebounding on the casters, so people stopped trying, and therefore it's unknown if they are all still "gone." (I would suspect that they are.)
Second, the short answer to your second-last question, Laeknir, is that if a group of post-Spellplague adventurers can find a functioning time gate and use it without destroying themselves, an alternate timeline is all they could create, no matter what they do (in other words, they can't affect the "prime Realms" they departed from, regardless of what they do). (In other words, Markustay was right, in what he said in his post.)
Third, to answer your last question, Mystryl's rules of chronomancy apply so long as a Weave (in any form: decaying, Shadow Weave [as it's not independent, but depends on the Weave to "hold it up/together," no matter what condition the Weave itself is in]) exists. As we've seen in the Spellplague, the Weave persisted (badly damaged) with Mystra gone. Chronomancy (as a profession/skill) itself is only possible within Realmspace with the Weave to anchor it; without a Weave time travel is truly random and no "returns" are possible; it's a one-way trip to an unknown destination date. So you can't have time travel in the Realms without a Weave, and the "rules" are of the Weave, just expressed formally by Mystryl (she didn't make them, she merely described them for mortals) - - but you don't actually need a god/goddess of magic (or chronomancy) for the rules to pertain. Or perhaps it would be better to say the rules are of Ao and the (essential nature of the) Realms, not at the level of mere divinity.
Elminster didn't attempt what you suggest because he knew it wouldn't work, and because all Chosen are expressly forbidden to engage in attempts at chronomancy - - because all such attempts strain/stress/endanger the Weave. Keeping the Weave stable and flourishing is one of the primary tasks of the Chosen; El would never try to harm the Weave. The prohibition may be "policy" but the reasons for it are something anyone attuned to the Weave (as all Chosen are) know, FEEL (harming the nearby Weave causes actual pain and nausea to a Chosen), and would never offend against.
Neither the Time of Troubles nor the events that led to the Spellplague would have happened (or been necessary) if deities or anyone else could just go back in time and arrange things to their liking/advantage. Nor would the leapfrogging of rival deities to get back in time before or after other deities who've already done so to meddle (so the rivals could out-meddle them) ever cease. Ao knows this, and so the Weave itself prevents chronomancy that affects the Weave. (Certain mortals may think differently or honestly believe differently due to their own experiences, but that usually means they've been deceived, gone insane, or created their own new timeline without realizing it.)
Mind-numbing and circular, yes, but . . . you asked. :} Many priests in the Realms have pondered such things, and ended up with headaches.

So saith Ed. Explaining some of the limits of chronomancy clearly for us all, for the first time. Let the enlightenment spread.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 15 Feb 2013 20:12:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000