Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 30 Nightal/1 Hammer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChurchofShar
Acolyte

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  18:26:10  Show Profile Send ChurchofShar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm going to have fun with the Calendar of Harptos in 2013 and use it to schedule my shift work, workouts, birthdays, concerts, etc. I'm curious how the 7 day week will translate to the nameless tenday format, and if it will alter the way I function. Often we work 6 day stretches backed by four days, so it might work quite well.

I'm going to build a day-planner and a wall calendar. I've already designed some thematic calendar sheets to use, and covered the main Holidays in between, but I was curious about the lack of a new years celebration.

I could swear I've read of something like it in a book or two, but it could very well be that I'm thinking of another event altogether. It may be Midwinter I'm recalling, which for me works as a proper time to celebrate the birth of a new year anyway.

Besides the five in between days, and Shieldmeet every four years, is there another holiday I'm forgetting? Or even a term for the changing of the year?

Thanks all.

Edited by - ChurchofShar on 29 Dec 2012 18:26:58

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  18:54:54  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there are lots of other holidays, including ones local to certain regions/countries.

Not to mention special days for followers of certain deities.

what kinds of ones are you looking for?

Edited by - rjfras on 29 Dec 2012 19:03:49
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  19:17:12  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st of Alturiak - Imbolic: This is a celebration to banish the winter season, celebrate the change of the old to the new, and a celebration of fertilty and things yet to be born. Also considered to be the 1st of the 3 spring celebatrations. It is common to see lavender or white candles burning, as well as old worn item being thrown out in place of newer items. (gods commonly looking over this holy day: Lathander, Chauntea)

19th of Ches - Ostara (Spring Equinox): A celebration of balance not winter but not quite spring, a time for inviting energy to awaken the earth. During this time seeds are blessed for future planting and baskets of flowers are collected. (gods commonly looking over this holy day: Tyr, Lathander, Chautea)

5th of Mirtul - Beltane: This is a holy day, the last of the 3 spring festivals, in which people begin to prepare for the warmer months ahead. This is a time of love and union. On this day trees are decorated with bows and ribbons, bowls filled with floating flowers and/or candles, and fresh flowers picked before dawn are not uncommon sights. (gods commonly looking over this holy day: Sune, Lathander, Chauntea, and various nature and fey gods)

20th of Kythorn - Midsummer Night's Celebration (Summer Solstice): The longest night of the year, also a time of the faerie folk. Wreathes of red and yellow feathers twined or braided with ivy are common. As well as offering of sun flowers or any other flower of red, maize yellow or gold. (gods commonly looking over this holy day: Mystra, Azuth, various faerie gods and gold elven gods)

7th of Eleasias - Lughnassabh: The begining of the harvest cycle, the early grains, fruits, and vegetables to be harvested. The 1st of the 3 harvest celebrations. Bread is traditionally baked, as well as altars adorned with the 1st fruits of garden/field labor. (gods commonly looking over this holy day: Chauntea)

21st of Eleint - Mabon (Autumn Equinox): This holy day is associated with the taking of foods that are to be harvested at this time. Cornbread cakes and cider are often made for this festival. (gods commonly looking over this holy day: : Chauntea, Tyr and Mielikki)

7th of Uktar - Samhain: On this night the barrier between the prime material plane and the various other planes is at it's weakest. Black candles are burned to ward off negativity. (gods commonly looking over this holy day: Kelevmor)

20th of Nightal - Alban Arthan (Winter Solstice): On this day many people burn bayberry candles (till they go out on thier own) and hang wreathes of holly.

Check Ed's answers from January 3, 2005, he lists a handful of observances/festivals from Turmish never before published and some are are observed in many places in the Heartlands.
Go to Top of Page

ChurchofShar
Acolyte

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  19:45:24  Show Profile Send ChurchofShar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking for something specific to the turning of the year. The moment the calendar moves from 30 Nightal to 1 Hammer. The Toril equivalent to a new years eve might be a better way to explain it.

I might add in the culturally specific holidays at a later point, but I'm sticking with the basic five individual days (+Shieldmeet if I ever need it) to start.

While I was making it, the fact that I couldn't recall any name for the new year struck me, so thought I'd check it out. I assumed there would be a name for it within the Harptos system, but maybe not.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  06:04:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, ooh, instead of dropping the ball on New Year's Eve, can we drop Shade, instead? That's FR-specific, and I'd love to see it fall...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  08:54:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You wish.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  11:40:20  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ooh, ooh, instead of dropping the ball on New Year's Eve, can we drop Shade, instead? That's FR-specific, and I'd love to see it fall...

+1

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

ChurchofShar
Acolyte

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  16:48:29  Show Profile Send ChurchofShar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have sent a messenger to my superiors detailing your wishes.

When you lay down to rest your head this eve, it might be wise to keep one eye on the shadows...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  18:54:16  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Church of Bane is selflessly offering you refuge Wooly, just say the word

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  19:10:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is a Giant Space Hamster of Doom. Of course he 'looks down upon' the Shade enclave.

He'd also never have to watch his head if it fell... unless it fell 'up'... which could be just as amusing...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Dec 2012 19:11:07
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  00:51:50  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somehow, I don't think Netheril would mind dropping all kinds of Shades all over us, come New Years!

From my research, I believe that the Menzo Academy school year corresponds with the calendar year. So it would appear that the academic term begins with 01 Hammer, and ends with 31 Nightal, give or take. Perhaps there is some sort of grand ceremony marking the beginning of the Academy's school term, each year? I could see the matron mothers relishing in the opportunity to show off their children publicly, like that.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  03:45:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChurchofShar

quote:

I have sent a messenger to my superiors detailing your wishes.

When you lay down to rest your head this eve, it might be wise to keep one eye on the shadows...

Although, I heard the fur of Giant Space Hamsters is immune to shadow magic. But it's just a rumor that has never been confirmed.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000