Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Amusing Realms Typos
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  05:24:35  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
my brain thinks Moonshaes, my fingers say Moonshakes.

surely I'm not alone in these minor mutilations. let's all have a few chuckles. share your unintentional genius!

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  07:18:24  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An obvious one is "Lloth/Lolth"...never can get that one right.

And then there's "Tethir/Tethyr"...and both are cannon names, just that one is a country and the other refers to a forest within that country (which was called the Wealdath in 3e/3.5e, which gets me to thinking that the misspelling was confusing to those who didn't know the difference between the two).

Let's not forget the "Cormanthor/Cormanthyr" one. Again, two places where one encompasses the other. Can't recall which was which at the moment.

I've done Everaska/Everesska instead of Evereska, and boy, does that irk me when I do that. Stupid fingers can't keep up with my brain.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?

Edited by - Xnella Moonblade-Thann on 28 Dec 2012 07:20:09
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  17:44:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually think "Drizzt Do Urban" (because he loves the night-life LOL)

Recently in Ed's thread I read Werehorse as 'Warehouse' (which lead to a bizarre train of thought).

And then there are the planer Assy-More (aasimar), and the Syphilis Empire.

I always read Vangerdehast as 'Vander's ghost'. Lustriel becomes 'lust for all'. Not making fun of those names - just how my mind always sees them is all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  18:16:27  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Markus, not trying to be mean , but how many times have you misspelled a spot on your maps and didn't realize it until someone else pointed it out? I do recall some of them being fairly amusing.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?

Edited by - Xnella Moonblade-Thann on 28 Dec 2012 18:17:22
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  21:41:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats only happened a few times that I recall, and I don't remember any of them being funny. {scratches head}

I usually switch vowels around (maybe I'm mildly dyslexic or something).

There's one I misread all the time (and I do it a lot with thread-titles too, and thats usually funny), but I can't think of it ATM.

I mispelled Netherese (as Netherease) for years before someone pointed it out to me.
I still misspell Shadowfel... but thats on purpose.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  22:17:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only one I can think of at the moment [and, even then, it's not really a typo, but rather a happy accident] is my sometimes referring to Elminster as Elmonster. But that only tends to happen because the Elmonster article in DRAGON #199 remains one of my all-time favourites.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  00:42:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol at Syphilis empire. I am pretty sure I've done that typo. Kind of fits, I liked Amn under Amnish rule, not under some ridiculous monster seige lead by Ogre Magi.

I used to call Elminster as "Elimster" as a child, because I'm possibly dyslexic or retarded mentally. In my mind Drizzt sounds more like Drittz..I guess that "drits" is easier for me to mind-pronounce.

On a slightly off topic...I'm never going to pronounce drow like it rhymes with cow. Drow is like crow...but with a d. Oh yeah, I went there.
Go to Top of Page

Rofocale
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  01:39:57  Show Profile Send Rofocale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xnella Moonblade-Thann

And then there's "Tethir/Tethyr"...and both are cannon names, just that one is a country and the other refers to a forest within that country (which was called the Wealdath in 3e/3.5e, which gets me to thinking that the misspelling was confusing to those who didn't know the difference between the two).

Let's not forget the "Cormanthor/Cormanthyr" one. Again, two places where one encompasses the other. Can't recall which was which at the moment.

I've done Everaska/Everesska instead of Evereska, and boy, does that irk me when I do that. Stupid fingers can't keep up with my brain.

I always say Lloth... aren't both technically correct? She'll always be Lloth to me!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  02:45:52  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of drow- I started out by spelling Eilistraee as Elistraee. For my HB world, I even changed her name to reflect my preference, and spell it Elistarrya there. But for Lloth/Lolth, I actually prefer the Lolth spelling. I hate words that start with a double-letter of the same consonant. (ie- llano, and certain other Spanish-orginated words)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  10:07:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rofocale

quote:
Originally posted by Xnella Moonblade-Thann

I always say Lloth... aren't both technically correct? She'll always be Lloth to me!
Yes, they're both correct. If I'm not mistaken, one is a misspelling of RAS (and given how popular his books are), it kinda stuck.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2012 :  10:10:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Draconic names. Most of them are full of consonants, long, and sound ridiculous. I often don't bother getting the spelling right.

Beholder names, too. I sometimes won't even bother 'pronouncing' them in mind. I simply refer to them as X, S, Y, Q, or whatever comes to mind.

Edited by - Dennis on 30 Dec 2012 02:13:43
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  02:06:13  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wijlfga, in The Halfling's Gem. The dragon names do get to be pretty silly. I like Tchazzar and Brimstone, though.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  03:03:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, dragons apparently come from the 5th dimension, along with batmite and Mr. Mxyzptlk.

I figure the rule of thumb (at WotC) is that if someone can actually pronounce the dragons name its no good. Not sure if that is better or worse then RAS' love of the Greek.

"Oh no!!! Its the dread dragon WhatTheheckWasHisNameOhYeahGratnilackusthernabulousOrSomeSuch!"

The idea is, by the time someone is able to shout the warning, the dragon already ate his fill and is flying away.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  04:20:44  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And this is why so many dragons have been given nick-names....

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  18:52:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's always this ...

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  19:35:08  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG!!! Those are frickin hilarious! I read them out to my gamer hubby, and he was rolling his eyes and laughing. I just about fell out of my chair laughing! Thanks Ayrik, I may have to borrow that affliction....

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  22:36:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll confess that unclean savant, flaming beer, grope trick, lightning belt, lobster summoning, and wall of forks have brought tears of weeping laughter to my gamers. And the typo concept has attracted the attention of prominent peoples ... but in the end it's just a little bit too unwieldy to explain in a concise and consistent manner, it is more creative gaming art than applied gaming science. I openly invite fantasy authors, DMs, and players to use and abuse the concept in any and every way they see fit. Have fun with it.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 30 Dec 2012 22:41:30
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  22:41:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I may have a gnome pyromancer who might- ahem- "benefit" from that concept- he's already a near-sighted, absent-minded clutz.... Oh, and a pyromaniac, too. This guy's got some serious problems, obviously.

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  00:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I've found it somewhat embarassing when writing anything prefixed with "candle", in a document, I automatically write "candlekeep" and rarely realise before sending the document out

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  01:11:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we should petition Ed to change the name to Alaundokeep?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  03:16:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Awhile back, I noticed these common misspellings by not a few scribes: Telemont, Netherease (yes, MT, I'm looking at you), and mythalar.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  05:01:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I've found it somewhat embarassing when writing anything prefixed with "candle", in a document, I automatically write "candlekeep" and rarely realise before sending the document out

I type the word "customer" so oft at work, any similar word tends to become "customer" instead of whatever it actually is. "User" is a more accurate term, but since they can see the info we put in the tickets, I prefer something that sounds a little friendlier. Also, since they can see the info in the tickets, I have to refrain from using things like I D 10 T, PEBKAC, or RTFM (a lot of people are amazingly incapable of reading simple, concise directions).

Not really an amusing Realms typo, but I frequently type Rauthamar instead of Raumathar.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  05:11:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

I've caught myself doing that a few times as well. And while not exactly a typo, I've also managed to slip the word "Drannor" behind most occasions of writing "myth" regardless of whether it's support material for my games or not.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2013 :  04:41:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Just recently, while writing an email to a friend, instead of Candlekeep, I typed "Candlekip." Well, I can hardly be blamed...I wrote a short story prior, and I used 'kip' probably more than I should have. Hehe.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  20:48:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bumping to hopefully gather more amusing typos that have occurred in the last year.

My latest (and amusingly persistent!) slip-of-the-fingers is hogboglin.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  21:01:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well they are hogs they will eat anything *G*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2017 :  04:46:13  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just accidentally invented the "gelatinous cute"
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2017 :  14:39:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I just accidentally invented the "gelatinous cute"

Just a note, the red version is not strawberry or cherry flavoring.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2017 :  15:56:38  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just a note, the red version is not strawberry or cherry flavoring.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2017 :  16:48:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised I didn't mention it before, in this thread... The 3E Player's Guide to Faerūn includes three references to the month of Ukta -- that's always amused me.

Something that wasn't a typo, but that proved amusing my gaming buddies, back in the day, was an encounter where my minotaur decided to use his great axe as his weapon.

"I'm hauling out my big ol' axe!" I announce... Only it wasn't the word "axe" that I said. It was another three-letter word, beginning with the letter A, and the use of that word presented quite a different image.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2017 :  17:49:04  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

"I'm hauling out my big ol' axe!" I announce... Only it wasn't the word "axe" that I said.

Big Ol' A**
Cost: --
Damage: 10d10 bludgeoning
Weight: a minotaur's hiney (approx.)
Properties: Heavy, reach, two-handed
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: