Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rule technical question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2012 :  11:23:46  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Guys,

I've just come across the feat "assume supernatural ability" in Savage Species, and I've realised that it actually works along with the "Polymorph" spell.

Here's my questions:
1) Do people agree with me that if a mage polymorphs into the shape of a Beholder, the caster would normally be able to see 360-degree around, and would be able to use the Beholder's flying/floating movement under the normal rules, since it's physically based Extraordinary abilities of the form, which you gain when you use the Polymorph spell? Or would you only be able to see straight ahead and somehow "crawl" along the floor at 5' round, as the All-around Vision and Flight abilities are classed as Extraordinary Abilities, and per the description of the Polymorph spell, you only gain Extraordinary Special Attacks (constrict, poison etc.) of the form, not other Extraordinary qualities like blindsight and fast heal.

2) The Beholder's Eye Rays are classed as a Supernatural ability, and Assume Supernatural Ability allows you to use a single supernatural ability of the form you've changed into. Do you agree that a mage with this particular feat would be able to polymorph into the form of a Beholder, and use it's Eye Ray attacks? Or would it be able to use only one specific Eye Ray, since the Feat specifies "You learn to use a single supernatural ability of another kind of creature while assuming its form through a polymorph self spell or a similar effect."?

If I read this feat right, it can make for some pretty interesting polymorphs. How about becoming a Gorgon or a Medusa for a Petrification attack. Admittingly, the feat (as I read it) only pertains to a single supernatural ability of a particular form, but it's still pretty interesting IMO.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2012 :  19:06:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am somehow reminded of old Pun-Pun. Technically permitted by the rules, but utterly game-breaking and ridiculous by every other measure.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000