Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Redeemed Fiends and Aasmir
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  15:39:36  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Redeemed Fiends and Aasmir.

Okay what would result from a Redeemed fiend a tiefling or an Aasmir?

For example say Sharess uses her powers to turn a Brachina into a Divine Minion of Bast and the Brachina Divine Minion of Sharess had kids with a human and that child had childern with a human would the Grand Childern be Aasmir or Tieflings?

It just something that came to mind as I was thinking about the recent article on fair folk celestials and what kinds of servants the Gods might have.

I came up with Tressym a Brachina seduced by Sharess and turned into a Divine Minion to defend her faithful against unfair charges in hell. Kind of like the sexy lawyer/Librarian trope personified. And then I wondered what her childern and grand childern would be Tieflings or Aasmir?

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  15:48:52  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aasimar & Tieflings are planetouched, not full-blooded celestials or fiends. If anything, a redeemed fiend would likely become an angel, archon, or eladrin.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2012 :  17:34:13  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I understand that aasmir and tieflings are planetouched and not full outsiders.

And I'm talking about a Brachina, which is a Pleasure Devil basically a more powerful Eyzrine, with the Mulhorandi Divine Minion Template for Sharess.

This would give her Fast Wildshape into Cat, Leopard, and Lion forms, Immunity to fear, and most importantly change her alignment to Chaotic Good including her attacks and make Hieropolis her native plane instead of Hell.

The Example given is Thah who was a Hound Archon who Set turned into a Divine Minion of Set. Thah retained the Archon subtype, but his Alignment changed to Set's Lawful Evil and his attacks became Evil and Lawful instead of Good and Lawful, but he didn't turn into a devil.

I figure the Brachina would keep the Devil subtype, but now she'd be Good and Chaotic and native to a non evil plane so she'd produce a half-Celestial childern who would have tiefling like Aasmir childern.

Here's the Mulhorandi Divine Minion of Template.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a

Its a fun template to add to stuff. Like you could have a Evil Throne Archon of Sebek, A Lawful Good Balor of Horus Ra, a Good Bladeling of
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2012 :  04:24:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage or Shemmy will likely be along with more, but I believe redeemed fiends retain their original form and most of their original abilities, at least those ones not alignment-specific (a redeemed fiend wouldn't need detect good, for example).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2012 :  16:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Sage or Shemmy will likely be along with more, but I believe redeemed fiends retain their original form and most of their original abilities, at least those ones not alignment-specific (a redeemed fiend wouldn't need detect good, for example).

*appears in a cloud of fire and darkness*

There's no easy answer, because the issue of fallen celestials and risen fiends has pretty much had a different handling in virtually every instance that they've been handled.

You had Zalatian the fallen trumpet archon in 3e handled very differently from the risen succubus on the WotC website in late 3.x. The former lost his alignment subtype and swapped various things to match his new alignment. The latter retained her previous alignment subtypes despite having been redeemed. I vastly prefer the former handling, and I would provide a physical shift corresponding to any true alignment change with outsiders, since their form and alignment are intrinsically linked. I find it nonsensical to be able to smite evil on a truly risen fiend.

My own contribution to the issue was a risen ultroloth in the gatetown of Ecstasy (in a late run issue of the print Dragon magazine). He shifted to a unique form when he rose from NE to NG. No full statblock, but I would have had him drop the [Evil] and gain [Good], as well as losing the [yugoloth] racial traits, but probably retaining a select few ultroloth abilities, and gaining some or all of the [guardinal] traits.

I've created risen fiends and fallen celestials for Pathfinder as well, but IIRC none of them have had statblocks. I would defer to any official ruling from Paizo's developers in those instances however, regardless of my personal preferences, mechanically speaking.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  00:29:55  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't...if I'm recalling her name correctly...'Falls-From-Grace', the succubus from Planescape: Torment have essentially the same abilities as a 'normal' succubus, even though she was lawful good? Not sure how applicable the example of a video game NPC would be in this instance, though it seems no less so than any other sort, to my way of looking at it.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  01:37:12  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Savage Species from 3.5 ed had rituals which could be used to change things about characters, monsters or character monsters.

There were Minor Rituals for changing alignment subtypes, Associations like belonging to a group like goblins, change elements, give people gills, and making people incorporeal.

(major rituals were for changing species)

For alignment, If the PC current alignment is opposed to the Alignment subtype it has a high DC to pass to succeed or they die. If different but no opposed, it will cause a shift to the new alignment subtype, which he looses if he changes from that alignment. Failure of Dc brings 1 negative level, success no negative level. If the same subtype as alignment, success brings the subtype but failure just uses up the gold.

It also cost XP in all cases. Actually all success change PC alignment to new subtypes unless succeeding the roll more then 5 over the needed DC. Subtypes can be added or lost.

So there's a path to change alignment but it costs XP and GP.

But body wise a Fiend is likely to give birth to a Tiefling... but it might be a very bizzare Tiefling (Angelic and Fiendish elements).

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000