Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2012 :  20:11:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anybody watch this? What did you think of it?

I thought that despite the awful endless voiceover introduction, the boring opening sequence, and the corny dialogue throughout, it was at least a little better than Wrath of the Dragon God.

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2012 :  21:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They actually finished it? I'd been wondering. I'll have to check it out. I agree, the first two D&D movies were bad, but they were enjoyable bad. Almost like watching a play put on, and directed by six year olds, but one of the six year olds is my six year old, ergo I enjoy it.
Now my curiosity is peaked.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2012 :  21:35:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stay away from movies that I expect to be bad.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2012 :  22:49:06  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
started to watch it last night but fell asleep... got it dvr'd though so i can watch it later... yes the beginning was painful... probably what helped put me to sleep... lol
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2012 :  23:56:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A link to watch?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  00:04:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did watch most of it, almost started a thread about it.

The hero apparently broke ever voe he made to become a Knight of Pelor. Assassinated one member of the party with poison. In the end won the day but lost the girl.

It was two hours of not CNN, however the credits in some ways more interesting then the story about depicting what D&D is about.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  00:11:09  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it was on syfy so it should be on again whenever they play a bunch of dragon movies and if you have some kind of on-demand on your cable, you should be able to find it

Actually, i was just checking the syfy lineup and it looks like it plays again this Thursday, Nov 29th, at 9pm EST (8pm CST) and again Friday, Nov 30th, at 6pm EST (5pm CST)

Edited by - rjfras on 26 Nov 2012 00:14:20
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  00:19:16  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks rjfras!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  00:25:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Anybody watch this? What did you think of it?

I thought that despite the awful endless voiceover introduction, the boring opening sequence, and the corny dialogue throughout, it was at least a little better than Wrath of the Dragon God.

For What is is worth, I did not bother to watch all of _Wrath of the Dragon God_ which followed, there again I believe I saw it before.

Content is always hard to judge, but at least though in Wrath the party did not kill each other.. *shrugs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  09:45:29  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw it and i have to say, it is the best of the 3 so far imo. Of course some things could have been done better and i had wished for something non-core D&D setting, it nontheless was done well enough.
Liked the more mature approach but given the topic of the movie it was to be expected, yet i had hoped that evil had prevailed in the end and the reason why the "hero" won the day is a bit shady to me given the fact that he commited all these kinds of vow breaking things and yet his god apparently gives him a thumbs up.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  06:43:31  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless the setting was Ravenloft, no way Pelor would give paladin powers to that guy.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  15:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't even know that a third one was in the works. The first has the same appeal as the Masters of the Universe movie. I enjoy it, despite how bad it was. And I genuinely enjoyed the second one. Though there were parts of it that hurt still. I will probably watch this one when I can rent it from Netflix.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  21:32:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Unless the setting was Ravenloft, no way Pelor would give paladin powers to that guy.

In fairness, the word Paladin was never used, an order of Knights formed and given magical items of power. Good of heart and chivalry is a Knightly pursuit without becoming a Holy Warrior.

Though as indicated before, if this was the best they could produce in something like 600 plus years, the order does not appear too Knightly.

Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  07:40:28  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys know that if you keep watching this crap. they'll keep making more of it, right?

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  09:14:47  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you dislike it then just donīt watch it

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  13:31:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it is the best of poor choices I will watch them as opposed to something worst. *wink*

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  15:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, my brother TiVoed(sp?) it last night, and he and I and my wife all watched it together. I think it is my least favorite of the franchise. It had good special effects, but the script seemed strained; especially the further you got into the movie. Also, like the second movie, there was not much racial diversity shown. Which was really my only problem with the second movie. My main issue with the first movie was that I just had trouble taking the main villains (talk-show-host-haircut and blue-lips) seriously.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  02:06:09  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We watched it and well..yeah. We have seen all three. I highly recommend the Scourge of Worlds DVD if you want a D&D movie.
Or The Gamers, or The Gamers; Dorkness Rising.

Edited by - Euranna on 01 Dec 2012 02:06:56
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  21:37:59  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Hawkins

Also, like the second movie, there was not much racial diversity shown.

Really? A human, a Goliath, 2 Shadar-Kai, and a........lich-something-human guy was the main cast of this troupe. That's more diverse than the 2nd movie of 1 elf (Ormaline) and 4 humans (Berek, Lux, Nim, and Dorian).

As for the movie itself, I'm enjoying it so far. Perhaps even more than the previous two. I like the fact that I can see some of the spells and how they're sorta "weaving" 4E elements within the storyline. There's one part though that had me laughing AND mad at the same time. That would be when our "Hero" goes into the magic shop, which is going out of buisness. I laughed because I too employ magic shops in my game much like that and it sorta defies the angst against them people seem to have for some reason. But then it makes me mad when the Wizard-shop keeper asks him if wants the "Heroic" or "Paragon" version of the armor. That, to me, broke any sort of verisimilitude within the scope of the movie. Obviously they're terms from 4E, but they're (at least with my group) terms that are used for meta-game purposes, NEVER used In Character. Ugh!

As for the plot, I'm kinda liking it. It's short and a bit quick with a no moral direction the main character has but I like the special effects and the consistant use of verbage I'm familiar with. I haven't finished the movie yet (got to the point where they go to the Shadowfell) but I'm hoping the main character destorys the book or helps scatter it again.

P.S. The main character is in no way, shape, or form a Paladin. He's expressed Zero divine gifts or abilities that would lable him anything similiar to a Paladin or even a Blackguard. He is, basically, a Knight that uses a twp-handed sword. Were I to create him, that's what he'd be. Not a Fighter or some sort of para-military warlord, but a Knight class from the Essentials products with focus on Two-Handed weapons and perhaps the Protector Theme.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  12:14:58  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was under the impression that the rogue in the second movie was to represent a halfling and not a human.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2012 :  13:44:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

I was under the impression that the rogue in the second movie was to represent a halfling and not a human.

Wikipedia claims he was a Human. I thought so too when I watched the movie..
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  22:54:25  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Nim was most definitely human, though a tad on the short side. The only non-human was the elf woman. And was she wizard, or sorceress? I never quite figured out which she was. She talked about having spells prepared, but I never once saw her use a spellbook!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  01:49:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I stay away from movies that I expect to be bad.
Agreed. What a pain. I'm no masochist.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  08:10:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Bad" is a highly subjective standard, some bad is intolerably awful while other bad is enjoyably amusing.

Army of Darkness, the Death Stalker series, Flash Gordon, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and many other culty-classics were bad movies. Most people think Star Trek is bad. I like watching many of them.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  14:37:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

"Bad" is a highly subjective standard, some bad is intolerably awful while other bad is enjoyably amusing.

Army of Darkness, the Death Stalker series, Flash Gordon, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and many other culty-classics were bad movies. Most people think Star Trek is bad. I like watching many of them.

Bad for me is a movie that, when looking at the previews or hearing about it, I fully expect to not enjoy if I watch it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  12:16:24  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So like most of the things that Hollywood produced these days in terms of mass hyping vampires and werewolves?

Go to Top of Page

xenogenic
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  07:41:57  Show Profile Send xenogenic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, i watch all of this film, the start was boring. But now i love this film! Do you guys know, is this will be other part of this film? Because that he lost the girl, i really want to see more, with this film stars. Thank you for answers.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  23:10:26  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well nuts!

I missed it.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000