Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rant on the destruction of the Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  19:27:17  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OwxeLK8tII
Also a review of D&D Nexerrr/ 5e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCBPTI1NNuc

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  01:42:39  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't have the patience to wait for any commentary about the Forgotten Realms because the sound was so bad. I don't know if there are any. Frankly, i wonder why you posted this here.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  03:00:53  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I agree with Patrakis, the quality of you video is pretty bad. You might want to put some effort into the production value if you want your review to be taken seriously.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  03:10:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though I've had my own rants about everything that was done to the setting, I'm moving on. We have a new edition of the Realms to look forward to, with Ed at the helm. If nothing else, that alone is worth moving past the negativity and hoping for something better.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  06:47:08  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was a solid review. You should check it out.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  17:56:10  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vorpalanvil

Again, the review is not the issue. It's the quality of the video...or lack there of. I'm not interested in suffering through really bad audio just to here some random dudes thoughts on DnD.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2390 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  18:24:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vorpalanvil

Meh, no. I'm literate. If the author is also literate, probably can type, or use voice-input if experiences some problems with manipulative appendages. If not literate, this probably is not worth my time hearing.
Popcasts are for people who enjoy hearing their voices way too much to think what they're saying and edit it if they got something wrong.
That's even before the whole "English is not my native language" part.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 02 Nov 2012 18:26:29
Go to Top of Page

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  20:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that it was a solid review, worth hearing because it had pros and cons. In no way was it just negativity. The sound was a little problematic on one (or two?) microphones, but I've heard way worse.

Podcasts aren't just about "people who enjoy hearing their voices" without editing. That's dismissive and snarky. Podcasts are for people who like to listen to commentary while they drive. Ever heard of NPR? This wasn't in any way egocentric or juvenile. It was pretty good IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  00:57:05  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, podcasts are great, especially when you are stuck to a computer for 8 hours of the day and you can listen to some cool stuff. I also enjoy listening to audio books while I work and drive.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  03:04:56  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was well done. Type it up, add the graphics from the post...make it a blog entry. I agree with almost everything said, and it wasn't really a rant or all negative.
Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  04:39:41  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I changed my office mic around the 11:15 part of the first "video". The second video has one good mic and one street mic. The street mic is worse but its nowhere near as bad as the mic I used in the first 11 minutes of the first video. In those jagged 11 minns I ranted a bit about the destruction of the Forgotten Realms and gave shout to candlekeep.

I'll likely transpose it into a blog after I update my website

Edited by - Rory on 03 Nov 2012 05:09:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  15:15:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live on LI, in NY.

"The destruction of the Forgotten Realms" actually seems kinda silly right now. The real world is so much more important - sometimes it takes a tragedy to put things in perspective.

Regardless, like Wooly, I decided to move on awhile back. There's a lot to look forward to. No offense, but I won't be checking out the videos - my Realms will always be precisely what I want them to be. I'm done getting anxiety over make-believe.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Laeknir
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  19:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Laeknir's Homepage Send Laeknir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I live on LI, in NY.

"The destruction of the Forgotten Realms" actually seems kinda silly right now. The real world is so much more important - sometimes it takes a tragedy to put things in perspective.

Regardless, like Wooly, I decided to move on awhile back. There's a lot to look forward to. No offense, but I won't be checking out the videos - my Realms will always be precisely what I want them to be. I'm done getting anxiety over make-believe.

I'd say that the real world is always more important. Not just now, and not just NY.

You'd get points for berating people who post about a game if you weren't doing the same exact thing yourself. In fact, you post more in the forum than most everyone else.

Edited by - Laeknir on 04 Nov 2012 19:23:51
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  20:58:56  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Yeah, podcasts are great, especially when you are stuck to a computer for 8 hours of the day and you can listen to some cool stuff. I also enjoy listening to audio books while I work and drive.

Agreed on both points, especially Podcasts when you're desk-bound for the entire workday.

Selected Shorts is one of my favorite podcasts for picking up pointers on how to read stories out loud and how to take on different character voices.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  21:58:01  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to type up a point-by-point argument to Rory, but ya know what, there's really nothing for it. I doubt anything I say will change Rory's or others minds and it's better to remain neutral than fight. The Realms have changed. The Edition has changed. It's all moot and everyone's moving forward. What I can hope for is that the Realms and D&D stay in buisness for me to enjoy it and continue to play regardless of edition wars and arguments over a made-up fantasy world.

I like some things about Next but I also hate others.

CONS
• Magical Items are, frankly, boring. Their flavor and fluff are fine (and interesting) but how they're transposed in the world isn't my cup of tea. Espically when I play in the Realms, there ARE Magic-Marts. Magical items ARE sold and bought in the game. It's been a Fantasy RPG (video game, TTRPG, and others) trope for decades and I fail to see why NOW they've stopped now.

• Advantage and Disadvantage are fun but it's being over played and used ALL THE TIME. WotC needs to stop fitting this into every single mechanic and come up with some additional ideas.

• Specialties (ie. Feat Trees) were ok in Playtest packet #2 but really stunk in Packet #3. They need to figure out what their intent with them is and stick to it.

• The Rogue. Enough said. You can go over to the Wiz-bro boards and click on any of the dozens of anti-playtest packet #3 Rogue reviews to see what I mean.

• Turn Undead. 1. It's convoluted. 2. It's ridicuously situational. 3. They removed Channel Divinity for it. All of this = lame in my book.

• Two-Weapon Fighting. It's a joke. In the Packet #2 playtest it could be argued that it was a bad choice as a feat (which is what it required) but not as an "Everyone could attempt" style. Like the Sword-and-board or Two-handed style, it had it's uses and drawbacks. Which if great if it doesn't cost a feat. But this new playtest packet makes it so that it's better to just drop 1 weapon and swing with the other in two-hands. That's bad. It needs fixed.

PROS
• Combat is Faster

• Skills are decoupled with Ability Scores

• There are multiple Healing systems

• Bonuses are lowered, meaning no more +24 to attacks and AC

if they attempt to smooth over this stuff, I'll be happer but if it remains, I'll pleasantly remain fixed on 4E.

Edited by - Diffan on 04 Nov 2012 22:05:02
Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  01:34:22  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I live on LI, in NY.

The rant on the Realms is retrospective. That video is about why I walked away from D&D years ago. I was trying to offer context to why my review focused so heavily on stuff that hasnt changed. For example the Cleric class has probably changed the least yet its my least favorite class.  
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  01:54:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I live on LI, in NY.

Ouch, I feel for you man. The director of my department lives on the Jersey shore (perhaps by Newark?) and he said he lost pretty much everything on the 1st floor of his newly refinished house. I can't even imagine that. And yes, that DEFINITLY puts perspective on topics such as this.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2012 :  03:34:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was lucky - I never lost my power, and only lost Internet/cable/phone for a few. Most folks around here weren't that lucky. Tonight it drops down to 30° and I have to wonder how many children will be cold tonight.

My perspective came as a slap in the face about a year and a half ago... now I get to see thousands going through pretty much what I went through. It brings it all back. I saw a 19 year old girl collect water and supplies, rent a truck, and bring it all to one of the devastated areas. She was able to accomplish more then FEMA could. It gives me hope about people; those in charge, not so much.

I walked away from D&D toward the end of the 90's, when my pre-paid Dragon magazine subscription stopped coming. Then I saw all the fanfare when 3e came out, and I bought the PHB to see what all the fuss was about. It sucked me right back in. A good edition will do that.

I am not saying you shouldn't have feelings about what has gone before; lord knows I have. All I am saying is that its water under the bridge and we are starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Have a little faith... sometimes thats all you have left.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Nov 2012 03:36:28
Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  20:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wise words Markustay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000