Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 An alternative view about Finder Wyvrenspur
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blue
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  21:08:53  Show Profile Send Blue a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So im getting ready to play in my first campaign (!!!), and was thinking of playing as a cleric for my first character. I have always liked Finder Wyvrenspur, and would like to play a cleric of a neutral deity. However, I am not very interested in the entire renewal of the arts aspect of Finder, and was wondering what your thoughts would be about a cleric with an alternative interpretation of Finders creed. Instead of emphasizing the renewal of the arts, this cleric would emphasize the renewal aspect of Finder. Perhaps they were inspired by Finders story of overwhelming pride and redemption through renewal, and this clerics interpretation of Finders creed emphasizes the renewal of people themselves through change and growth over time. This would emphasize the cycles of life part of Finders portfolio. Any thoughts? Would you consider this a viable character build? I am a long time novel reader and first time gamer, so on any tips on character creation would be very much welcome. I will be playing 3.5, so that's the rulleset to refer to. Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  21:47:38  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finder once was nearly ruined because he didn't want anyone re-interpreting his songs or adapting his art to suit their tastes (and why he tried to create Flattery and Alias so his songs would never be changed). I think he learned from that experience and would be open to an adaption of his clergy into renewal of character. Whether another deity would take issue could even be an interesting campaign hook if your DM is clever! Enjoy the campaign!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  03:24:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's about renewal, and not just of the arts, so I don't see any issue.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  11:36:42  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if he was just about artistic renewal your cleric could interpret his faith as he chose. A lot of "heresies" exist.
Go to Top of Page

Blue
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  11:59:14  Show Profile Send Blue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of your feedback. If it would be considered a heresy, it would be interesting to see how other members of Finders church respond. Especially if my character proslytizesz, which I believe is a major part of the church's mission. I'm playing with a new DM, so I don't know how he's going to want to interpret it.

Edited by - Blue on 31 Oct 2012 12:01:32
Go to Top of Page

Blue
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  12:36:09  Show Profile Send Blue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Lathanders followers might have a dim view of this interpretation. It seems to border on the notion of new beginnings.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  15:57:33  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
congrats on your first campaign! hopefully your DM is a great storyteller, but if it seems like there's more emphasis on combat than story in the game don't get discouraged or turned off to the gaming side. it's a matter of style/preference. there's a little bit of an Art to matching DM and player preferences... which isn't a factor when you pick up a novel and sink into your favorite chair for a few hours.

i agree with what's already been said regarding your interpretation of Finder being totally valid, and also with your thought about the church of Lathander being predisposed against Finderites... Wyverners? Findspurs! whatever you call them, i'm sure Lathander's church would look at Finder's following as upstarts who are trying to pull followers away from the lord of the dawn... missing the fact that Finder's ascension is a renewal and the churches could/should easily complement each other at least in that particular area.

good luck, hopefully it's fun for all.
Go to Top of Page

Blue
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  16:46:38  Show Profile Send Blue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks xaeyruudh. He's got a great story set up so far, and I think he's got an exciting campaign for us, regardless of how he balances it. I'm feeling good about the Finder cleric, so we'll see how he wants to run with it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000