Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster’s Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  15:57:09  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say the book is about life in the Realms. It focuses on Cormyr and Western Heartlands and the North... other areas get just a passing mention.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  20:05:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I wouldn't say the book is about life in the Realms. It focuses on Cormyr and Western Heartlands and the North... other areas get just a passing mention.

Yes, but what it focuses on, in large part, is how people live. If that's not about life, I don't know what is.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  01:28:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Yes, but what it focuses on, in large part, is how people live. If that's not about life, I don't know what is.

And a lot of those life-details are broad enough so they can be applied to other places in the Realms -- with just the slightest of tweaks for any region-specific traditions and such.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2012 :  10:33:05  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol! okay okay! I'm reading my shiny new copy right now. You're right, it's a lovely book and is the first WotC product I've purchased since GHotR. *Hint hint*

It's nice to see the Realms of old make a come back. I'd missed products like this.

Edit: OMG OMG OMG! It just hit me what this is. It's a pure fluff splat book!

Edited by - BlackAce on 31 Dec 2012 15:42:38
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  07:42:12  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is an awesome review, Wooly!

I just picked up my copy today - while on vacation in Maui. Devouring it.

I think you've nailed it and in an earlier post from Erik, I echo his thoughts about how future source books should be structured.

I know I'm reaching with this analogy, but it rings true in my mind. There's a video on YouTube - The Golden Circle, by Simon Sinek. It talks about the What-How-Why connection and how many (e.g., companies, people, etc) often look from the "outside-in" (i.e., from "What" to "Why"). Only those who truly differentiate themselves from the pack (or so Sinek argues in his video) look from the "inside-out". That is, first ask "why" it is what we do what do, then "how" and "what".

All that said, this book, to me, is the first of its kind that looks from the inside out and truly sets itself out from the rest. In other words, it uncovers "why" the Realms are as they are.

This is an awesomely fresh and insightful perspective. More please!

Thank you Ed.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  23:34:40  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the book was excellent. It has many years since I bought a book from Wizards of the Coast (the last one was Grand History of the Realms). I loved all the content and the art of the book. Some illustrations are fantastic ... really capturing the essence, as the noble on page 51, some are nostalgic, like art on page 161 showing Lady of Strategy, the style reminds me of AD&D. I just did not like the tieflings (page 12) ... although the art is very good.

About the content of the text, fantastic!!!. As always with Ed Greenwood's books. I also thought the book would show Ed Greenwood's Originals-Realms, yet I am very satisfied with the text.

I would like the Wizards understand that it is kind book that we like to buy.

I am also in favor of a reboot in the Realms, because I did not like anything about the 4th edition D&D... especially what happened with Forgotten Realms. I do not even buy a product that edition.

I also think Forgotten Realms did not need statistics rules tied to any edition of D&D. It was enough just those old stats _ CG hm F9 ... for example _ as shown in Box Old Gray and Forgotten Realms Revised (2nd edition), or something that anyone can use their favorite system of rules, regardless of the edition.

How could we give feedback to the Wizards about our opinion on this book? They visit this forum?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  02:09:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I'd like to probably buy this book but you know what? I've gone to three or four stores locally (two of them are gaming stores!) and not one person knows what I'm talking about when I ask about this book. I've been told so far, "It's not been published yet." or "There's no such book." or "It's not in our database so what are you talking about?"

Now, I'm just going to ask for it for x-mas and hopefully someone will get me a copy on Amazon.

Did you end up getting your copy, Kuje?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  03:37:20  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodrigoalcanza

I think the book was excellent. It has many years since I bought a book from Wizards of the Coast (the last one was Grand History of the Realms). I loved all the content and the art of the book. Some illustrations are fantastic ... How could we give feedback to the Wizards about our opinion on this book? They visit this forum?

As I understand it, WotC does visit these forums.

That said, you can also let WotC know on their Realms forums that you liked the product.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  20:10:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Did you end up getting your copy, Kuje?

I didn't. Grumble. One of these days when I do another Amazon order, I'll add it to that order I guess.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 08 Feb 2013 20:15:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  16:43:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today only, DriveThruRPG has the pdf of Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms available for just $10.

It's just a 24-hour thing.

On a related note, signing up for DriveThruRPG's emails can be a good thing.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Doc Filth
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  12:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Doc Filth's Homepage Send Doc Filth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only found out about this a couple of weeks ago, having been out of the loop for a while. My copy arrived yesterday, and it's absolutely fantastic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000