Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster’s Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  02:49:12  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Supposedly, my copy is shipping today.

Supposedly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30019 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  03:27:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Reading back a bit looking for information related to the area of the Moonsea, I found this post by THO:

quote:

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore
4378 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2010 : 17:51:05

Oh, a postscript: this would have been around 1358 or 1359 DR (the time of our visit to Loudwater). Torm visited the neighborhood again in 1361, and it hadn't changed much, to my (admittedly VERY fuzzy) recollection of what was said at the time between Ed and Victor (Torm's player).
love,
THO

It looks like Ed's home game has in fact had the ToT in it...and thus perhaps Cyric as well...

Not necessarily... He could have followed his own timeline, and not bothered with it.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  03:50:57  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Reading back a bit looking for information related to the area of the Moonsea, I found this post by THO:

quote:

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore
4378 Posts
Posted - 23 Aug 2010 : 17:51:05

Oh, a postscript: this would have been around 1358 or 1359 DR (the time of our visit to Loudwater). Torm visited the neighborhood again in 1361, and it hadn't changed much, to my (admittedly VERY fuzzy) recollection of what was said at the time between Ed and Victor (Torm's player).
love,
THO

It looks like Ed's home game has in fact had the ToT in it...and thus perhaps Cyric as well...

Not necessarily... He could have followed his own timeline, and not bothered with it.

That, or the adventurers in Ed's campaign happened upon some time portal that momentarily thrust them into a later year...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  03:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True...I didn't consider that fact...however, Cyric was included in the most recent work...so I wish we could find out. Simply for being a snoop of course.

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  05:02:17  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in hearing Ed's take on this, especially if it provides further insight into how he runs his home campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  05:55:13  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was my understanding that Ed's players voted not to play through the Time of Troubles. So their timeline continues, sans ToT.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  11:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

It was my understanding that Ed's players voted not to play through the Time of Troubles. So their timeline continues, sans ToT.

I like that idea...but did you ever hear of any events which caused any of the "Dead Three" to be killed off in his game, Bane returning, or Midnight/Kelemvor/Cyric ascending?

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  13:57:50  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Sage, if you moved to the USA, you won't have to wait for stuff. Troy MO is a nice place, if a bit empty.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
892 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  14:08:44  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wished some additional info on Hoar/Assuran would have made to cut, as my current character is a Nemesis. Oh well, maybe in his next sourcebook.

Speaking of Hoar, I hope he will ditch Bane to go back to his more neutral roots in the next edition. LN just suits him so well.

Oblivion loomed on every side, the offspring lived, basking in the realization that each moment could be the last moment.
--This was the beauty of chaos
--This was the beauty of Lolth
--This was the doom for all, but one

Quote from "Extinction"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30019 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  15:29:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I like that idea...but did you ever hear of any events which caused any of the "Dead Three" to be killed off in his game, Bane returning, or Midnight/Kelemvor/Cyric ascending?

No... Why? We already know this book contains some info that is not strictly related to Ed's home Realms...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  16:09:55  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Well, Sage, if you moved to the USA, you won't have to wait for stuff. Troy MO is a nice place, if a bit empty.

A move to the US is always a possibility -- it's just the harrowing prospect of trying to find work in another country for both myself and the Lady K, that's putting us off. That, and the money required to execute such a move.

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Oct 2012 16:11:30
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1361 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  16:30:10  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if you don't mind the cold you can move to north dakota. we have the lowest unemployment in the nation due to the oil boom. most people don't like -30 below F. temps in january and february though. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  19:41:32  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

No... Why? We already know this book contains some info that is not strictly related to Ed's home Realms...

My curiosity is only in what is actually going on in Ed's own game. I spotted some of the material early on that didn't feel like his writing...but simply because it wasn't put there by Ed Greenwood doesn't eliminate the chance that similar things may have happened in his game...the stint on Bhaal in particular interested me. Bane would be an interesting topic with Ed as well.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  19:51:46  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't help you there, I'm looking to get some credit house in economics and trying a different field.
JOb market here not so good, as the news tells.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  00:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it and its amazing!!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  01:15:20  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting Development Time Involving the Sage and His Experience With Ed Greenwood Presents --

I just received an email informing me that my delivery has been made. So, ecstatic as I was with glee, I immediately contacted the Lady K -- who is presently on holidays and resting at home -- to check at the front door for my package. Sadly, she telephoned me back to say that no package was waiting by the door, nor was there any note from Australia Post notifying me that they had missed me and so, thus, couldn't leave registered mail without someone at the residence signing for it.

So, apparently, I've had no delivery, as it hasn't been left by my door, nor do I have a note from Australia Post telling me were I can pick it up later, after the postal van returns to whatever mail centre it works from.

Hmmm.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  03:09:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No I haven't.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4834 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  05:33:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well mine has just been re-ordered from the supplier. It won't even ship till 10/11/12 at the earliest. Not happy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  14:32:37  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well mine has just been re-ordered from the supplier. It won't even ship till 10/11/12 at the earliest. Not happy.

-- George Krashos

I share your pain, Krash. After my own disappointing episode with Australia Post this morning, I contacted the local Mailing Centre for help. They can't seem to find my package or the shipping manifest, so it looks like I may have to reorder another copy as well.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30019 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  03:01:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just did something I never do... I posted a review on the Amazon. And it was of this book, because I really want to see more.

quote:

Let's face it, if you're a fan of the Forgotten Realms, you know there has been a lot of material released for the setting.

None of it has been like this.

We've had books detailing areas of the Realms. We've had histories of nations, lists of rulers, and broad overviews of towns within those nations. We've had maps of castles and dungeons. We've learned the secrets of innkeepers. We've learned about the plants and critters found in a region, and the magic used in that area.

That's not this book.

We've had books detailing power groups of the Realms. We know about avatars. We've read about trading companies, churches, power-hungry mages, knightly orders, xenophobic elves, noble houses, and adventuring bands.

That's not this book.

We've had books detailing the magic of the Realms. We've learned about magical tomes, powerful spells, wondrous items, and the magic used by a noteworthy group of female siblings. We know about mage sigils, flying ships, gemstones that can be turned into ioun stones, and of a magical hangover cure.

That's not this book.

What we've never really had is a book about *living* in the Realms. We've never had a book that listed Realms-specific common words. We've never had a book that discusses how temples earn money. We've never had a book that discusses elven cuisine. We've never had a book that discussed the flow of trade and those who facilitate this flow. We've never had a book that discussed hygiene in the Realms.

In other words, we've never had a book that shows us the Realms from the perspective of the common 0-level NPC. We've been told about the history, lands, magic, and movers and shakers of the Realms, but we've never learned how people of the Realms are shaped by that history, what their lives in those lands are like, how they view magic, and how they are protected and/or used by those movers and shakers.

This is that book.

Don't pick up this book expecting rules. Don't pick up this book expecting you're going to get lots of nifty new things to write down on your character sheet. Don't pick up this book thinking you're going to get history or another regional splatbook.

Pick up this book expecting to see life in the Realms. Pick up this book to make the setting come alive for your character. Pick up this book expecting something that will tell you how your character lives when he's not slinging a spell or swinging his sword.

Pick up this book for those countless little minor details too small to be mentioned in novels that rush about blowing up the setting. Pick up this book to help you understand living in the Realms.

This book is for those who want to keep the role in their RPG.

Ed Greenwood has spent decades thinking of every single aspect of life in this sprawling wonderland he's shared with us. This book holds the words of the master; this is him sharing what he sees when he looks at the Realms.

The Realms is more than spells, monsters, wizards, and drow. The Realms is history and wonder intertwined. The Realms is where stories happen. And this book shares the facts of life for those characters living those stories.

This book is the Realms.

One can only hope that we'll have many sequels to this wonderful resource.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  03:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kick ass Wooly!

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  03:19:14  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys I hope your new orders are delivered ASAP.

Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  12:10:00  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy arrived Yesterday

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  04:19:46  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Krash!.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4834 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  05:17:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Sorry Krash!.

I hate you. Except that hate isn't strong enough a word!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000