Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster’s Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  16:09:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Well, Sage, if you moved to the USA, you won't have to wait for stuff. Troy MO is a nice place, if a bit empty.

A move to the US is always a possibility -- it's just the harrowing prospect of trying to find work in another country for both myself and the Lady K, that's putting us off. That, and the money required to execute such a move.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Oct 2012 16:11:30
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  16:30:10  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if you don't mind the cold you can move to north dakota. we have the lowest unemployment in the nation due to the oil boom. most people don't like -30 below F. temps in january and february though. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  19:41:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

It was my understanding that Ed's players voted not to play through the Time of Troubles. So their timeline continues, sans ToT.

I like that idea...but did you ever hear of any events which caused any of the "Dead Three" to be killed off in his game, Bane returning, or Midnight/Kelemvor/Cyric ascending?

No... Why? We already know this book contains some info that is not strictly related to Ed's home Realms...

My curiosity is only in what is actually going on in Ed's own game. I spotted some of the material early on that didn't feel like his writing...but simply because it wasn't put there by Ed Greenwood doesn't eliminate the chance that similar things may have happened in his game...the stint on Bhaal in particular interested me. Bane would be an interesting topic with Ed as well.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2012 :  19:51:46  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't help you there, I'm looking to get some credit house in economics and trying a different field.
JOb market here not so good, as the news tells.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  00:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it and its amazing!!!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  01:15:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting Development Time Involving the Sage and His Experience With Ed Greenwood Presents --

I just received an email informing me that my delivery has been made. So, ecstatic as I was with glee, I immediately contacted the Lady K -- who is presently on holidays and resting at home -- to check at the front door for my package. Sadly, she telephoned me back to say that no package was waiting by the door, nor was there any note from Australia Post notifying me that they had missed me and so, thus, couldn't leave registered mail without someone at the residence signing for it.

So, apparently, I've had no delivery, as it hasn't been left by my door, nor do I have a note from Australia Post telling me were I can pick it up later, after the postal van returns to whatever mail centre it works from.

Hmmm.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  03:09:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I like that idea...but did you ever hear of any events which caused any of the "Dead Three" to be killed off in his game, Bane returning, or Midnight/Kelemvor/Cyric ascending?
No I haven't.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  05:33:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well mine has just been re-ordered from the supplier. It won't even ship till 10/11/12 at the earliest. Not happy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2012 :  14:32:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well mine has just been re-ordered from the supplier. It won't even ship till 10/11/12 at the earliest. Not happy.

-- George Krashos

I share your pain, Krash. After my own disappointing episode with Australia Post this morning, I contacted the local Mailing Centre for help. They can't seem to find my package or the shipping manifest, so it looks like I may have to reorder another copy as well.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  03:01:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just did something I never do... I posted a review on the Amazon. And it was of this book, because I really want to see more.

quote:

Let's face it, if you're a fan of the Forgotten Realms, you know there has been a lot of material released for the setting.

None of it has been like this.

We've had books detailing areas of the Realms. We've had histories of nations, lists of rulers, and broad overviews of towns within those nations. We've had maps of castles and dungeons. We've learned the secrets of innkeepers. We've learned about the plants and critters found in a region, and the magic used in that area.

That's not this book.

We've had books detailing power groups of the Realms. We know about avatars. We've read about trading companies, churches, power-hungry mages, knightly orders, xenophobic elves, noble houses, and adventuring bands.

That's not this book.

We've had books detailing the magic of the Realms. We've learned about magical tomes, powerful spells, wondrous items, and the magic used by a noteworthy group of female siblings. We know about mage sigils, flying ships, gemstones that can be turned into ioun stones, and of a magical hangover cure.

That's not this book.

What we've never really had is a book about *living* in the Realms. We've never had a book that listed Realms-specific common words. We've never had a book that discusses how temples earn money. We've never had a book that discusses elven cuisine. We've never had a book that discussed the flow of trade and those who facilitate this flow. We've never had a book that discussed hygiene in the Realms.

In other words, we've never had a book that shows us the Realms from the perspective of the common 0-level NPC. We've been told about the history, lands, magic, and movers and shakers of the Realms, but we've never learned how people of the Realms are shaped by that history, what their lives in those lands are like, how they view magic, and how they are protected and/or used by those movers and shakers.

This is that book.

Don't pick up this book expecting rules. Don't pick up this book expecting you're going to get lots of nifty new things to write down on your character sheet. Don't pick up this book thinking you're going to get history or another regional splatbook.

Pick up this book expecting to see life in the Realms. Pick up this book to make the setting come alive for your character. Pick up this book expecting something that will tell you how your character lives when he's not slinging a spell or swinging his sword.

Pick up this book for those countless little minor details too small to be mentioned in novels that rush about blowing up the setting. Pick up this book to help you understand living in the Realms.

This book is for those who want to keep the role in their RPG.

Ed Greenwood has spent decades thinking of every single aspect of life in this sprawling wonderland he's shared with us. This book holds the words of the master; this is him sharing what he sees when he looks at the Realms.

The Realms is more than spells, monsters, wizards, and drow. The Realms is history and wonder intertwined. The Realms is where stories happen. And this book shares the facts of life for those characters living those stories.

This book is the Realms.

One can only hope that we'll have many sequels to this wonderful resource.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  03:15:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kick ass Wooly!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  03:19:14  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guys I hope your new orders are delivered ASAP.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2012 :  12:10:00  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy arrived Yesterday

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  04:19:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Krash!.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  05:17:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Sorry Krash!.

I hate you. Except that hate isn't strong enough a word!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  06:04:31  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Move to Brisbane.

Copies of this book have been available there for more than two weeks.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  16:09:12  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ordered it today on amazon.de - wondering how long it will take.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  16:58:25  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh it has been pushed back a month in the UK - Amazon wont be delivering to me now before Dec 14
We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

Wizards RPG Team "Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms: A Dungeons & Dragons Supplement"
Estimated arrival date: December 15 2012 - December 14 2012

I can only assume it is because it has sold so well that they have ran out of stock and are having to reprint it!

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2012 :  21:00:21  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I truly hope that it being sold out/selling so well sends a STRONG message that we want more lore from the pre-Spellplague era.

Hopefully money will talk louder than those who screamed at the top of their lungs against the fourth edition 5 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  23:37:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it. An unexpected arrival given I lodged an observation (a thinly veiled complaint actually) only a couple of days ago. Have had a skim ... wonderful stuff.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2012 :  22:39:56  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the book, It's awesome so much info, definitely enable you add to much flavour and life to any realms campaign. Out of curiosity, what is the cover made of? It's freaky weird. Who knew Illithid skin could take and hold Ink so well?? :D

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  22:38:20  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Book arrived today! Very much looking forward to read it.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  18:17:17  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

Sigh it has been pushed back a month in the UK - Amazon wont be delivering to me now before Dec 14

Well a nice surprise on the mat tonight

YIPPEEEEEE

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  02:46:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to probably buy this book but you know what? I've gone to three or four stores locally (two of them are gaming stores!) and not one person knows what I'm talking about when I ask about this book. I've been told so far, "It's not been published yet." or "There's no such book." or "It's not in our database so what are you talking about?"

Now, I'm just going to ask for it for x-mas and hopefully someone will get me a copy on Amazon.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2012 :  13:44:46  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy is on order, but it is my christmas gift from my girlfriend, so no reading of it until December 25th , when I expect to get into trouble for ignoring her and everyone else because I will be reading my book .
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2012 :  18:11:30  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I just did something I never do... I posted a review on the Amazon. And it was of this book, because I really want to see more.

That's a good review. I'll buy this, eventually, due to that review. First FR product I'll have purchased new in at least 10 years. (I've been slowly completing my 1e/2e FR collection with used books)

As for the Time of Troubles, I've mentioned this before, but folks seem to have forgotten that ed invented the idea of the Time of Troubles, I've always considered it very authentic Greenwood.

From Dragon #54 (Oct 1981), "Down-to-earth divinity: One DM’s design for a mixed & matched mythos":
quote:
Some higher directive might require the balance of gods be maintained, so that if one slays the war god, one must take his place. The DM can in this manner remove characters of stratospheric level from the campaign. Another mechanism for keeping things under control is the “Godswar.” This concept is also a good justification
to cover the changeover of a campaign from D&D rules to AD&D rules and will also justify any other divine revisions the DM feels necessary, once. Simply put, the Godswar is strife among the gods —- direct, physical battle in which gods are destroyed, or their powers
undone, wrested from them, or distorted, and a new hierarchy is created.

The most important feature of this conflict is that worshippers are not involved; all clerics and other servants are completely cut off from their deities — unable to communicate with them, renew spells above 2nd level, or receive accurate or complete information regarding the war afterwards (for deities may not wish to tell all to just any mortal.

The Godswar truly can cover a “multitude of sins,” in the manner described in the battle between the Vom and the Guardian in Alan Dean Foster’s novel Bloodhype; side effects of the energy released
in the conflict can transform or teleport landscapes, people, and any
number of items on the various planes.

This article explains how he created the original Realms mythos, so if you want to know what gods were originally in the Realms, there ya go, there is a chart (interestingly, no demihuman or humanoid deities, I don't think they existed when he put the pantheon together Deities and Demigods was published in 1980).

The article is really a masterpiece of DM advice, still a great resource for anyone designing a new world or just refreshing how they run priests and deities.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_
Go to Top of Page

Sonny
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  00:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Sonny's Homepage Send Sonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBestwick

My copy is on order, but it is my Christmas gift from my girlfriend, so no reading of it until December 25th , when I expect to get into trouble for ignoring her and everyone else because I will be reading my book .

Heh, I got it as a gift as well. I've been going through it for the last couple of days as I've had time. It's completely brilliant.

I would put it in my list of top 10 Realms accessories ever(well, so far). If this is what we can expect from Forgotten Realms' books with Ed back at the helm, I can't wait for what comes next.
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  13:19:32  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Without kicking off Edition War MMXXXVII, as someone who walked off into the sunset with the advent of the Spell Plague and is curmudgeonly wary of 'edition neutral' stuff should I or shouldn't I purchase this?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  14:10:42  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Without kicking off Edition War MMXXXVII, as someone who walked off into the sunset with the advent of the Spell Plague and is curmudgeonly wary of 'edition neutral' stuff should I or shouldn't I purchase this?

YES!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2012 :  14:35:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Yes, yes, oh yes. Read the review I posted on Amazon -- it's the 02 Nov 2012 03:01:11 post in this thread.

The book is edition-neutral because it doesn't focus on anything that would be changed by edition. 1E or 5E, the common folk of the Realms will eat the same food and use the same words. Their hygeine won't change. How inns operate won't change. And so on.

The book is about life in the Realms. Editions and rulers will come and go, but the way people live won't change -- and that's the focus of this book.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000