Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 mountain range between ride and tortured lands
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  11:25:50  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone know the name of the mountain range?

cannot find it on my 3e map

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  11:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm. Doesn't show up on the 4e map, either. The range is there, but there's no name.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  12:40:37  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mhm mhm lets just wait till markustay comes on, for sure he has some info
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  15:56:09  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The range is called the 'White Peaks'. A detailed map of the region can be found in the adventure 'Monument of the Ancients' in Dungeon #170.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  17:36:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian R. James is correct. IIRC, the name only appears on one earlier map (not counting the FRIA map, where the name also appears) and the range is MUCH smaller in earlier editions.

What we don't have is a name for that little cluster of mountains between the white Peaks and the Dragonspine Mountains. I believe Ed may have named a couple of the peaks, IIRC, but I believe those names were commandeered for something else (Not positive about that - I have to go back and check the pertinent posts when I get to that region). I guess I will have to eventually ask Ed for a name for that cluster.

I got two rivers I found on the west coast... I'm wondering if I should have a 'name these rivers' contest, or would that be over-stepping my boundaries? I will probably just "ask Ed". They appear on the Baldur's Gate game map and no other.

Very few features in FR have no names, but a few do have redundant names.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Oct 2012 17:38:44
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  17:56:28  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thx, both brian and Markus.

also, do you have any hints on the populations in the range?? dwarves? drow? giants?, which monster etc.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  22:25:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely remember something about Gnomes - a local named Forharn.

Myth Ondath is also located there. Seems more a place for (Unseelie?) fey then one for goblinoids, judging by the only two 'locales' there.

But as always, a person can place whatever they want there.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Oct 2012 22:26:40
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  07:11:55  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok thx markustay
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  04:34:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So seriously...there is no name for the mountains just north of the Dragonspine Mountains then?

Could those simply be an extension of the Dragonspines then?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  07:17:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, no. This is one of my many outstanding geography questions I have posed to Ed.

If I were to do a map of the region (hint hint), I would probably just lay some hills down to the west and connect the two (like how the Sunset mountains are around Darkhold).

I just realized something.... FR has TWO sets of 'Sunrise' Mts., but only one set of 'Sunset'... coincidence? Or does it have a 'deeper' meaning? Two suns rose... only one sun has set...

* Meh * - it probably is just an coincidence/error.
And I'm not sure if that was even a good comparison, since I did find a separate name for the northern branch of the Sunset Mountains.

I am planning to post my Western Heartlands map tomorrow (I am just hoping to hear back from someone first). I was going to do the 'DMs Map' next, but perhaps I'll move east instead... I did want to have the main campaign area complete by Christmas (or Hanukkah - take your pick). Something tells me folks need more Realms in their diet.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Dec 2012 16:20:23
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2012 :  15:47:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, yes indeed...a map should be made!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000