Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Explosive damage from a powder horn or powder keg
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  01:31:56  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Recently adapted firearms into my group's long-running Realms campaign world and already the resident pyro is wondering how much damage a powder horn or powder keg would cause if it was destroyed. BTW, we are using Faerunian Firearms 3.5 by Alex Putnam from Candlekeep, so we figured this would be the place to ask.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  14:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Recently adapted firearms into my group's long-running Realms campaign world and already the resident pyro is wondering how much damage a powder horn or powder keg would cause if it was destroyed. BTW, we are using Faerunian Firearms 3.5 by Alex Putnam from Candlekeep, so we figured this would be the place to ask.

It depends on how tightly the powder is packed in my game, but we figured powder horns and grenades function like blastglobes (MoF) only with fewer saving throws. Barrels, again, depends on how tightly the powder is packed, but the big barrels we treated like maximized, empowered fireballs with the Caster Level varying based on a Craft/Skill check.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  15:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A barrel of powder going off for me is an insta-kill for anyone standing nearby, with "nearby" changing depending on how big the barrel and how many they are. Don't even bother rolling dice, if you're that close you're dead. Period.

I don't use smokepowder in my games so I've never had to deal with an exploding powder horn. If it did come up, though, I'd base it off of the backfire damage of the weapon. For most 2e firearms (which is the system I play; can't help with 3.5), a backfire causes 1d6 points of damage. Figure at least some of that comes from the fact that you have the exploding thing against your face, so cut it in half.

So an exploding powder horn would do: [# of charges]d6/2.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  17:22:36  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pathfinder (which has a pretty good firearms rules set if you are playing something 3Eish) handles explosions thusly:

Black Powder: Black powder is the key explosive component within a firearm that enables it to function, but in larger amounts this alchemical material can be quite destructive on its own as well. A single dose of black powder is enough to power a single shot from most one-handed and two-handed firearms, while 10 doses are required to fire a cannon. Black powder is often stored and transported in kegs (which hold 100 doses), but in this quantity the powder itself becomes dangerous. Exposure to fire, electricity, or a misfire explosion causes black powder to explode—a single keg that explodes in this manner deals 5d6 points of fire damage to anyone within a 20-foot burst (DC 15 Reflex half). Storing black powder in a powder horn protects the powder from explosion.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  18:15:28  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the Pathfinder stuff, but it seems low. Kegs are lined with lead to keep the powder dry, as well as it's 15 lbs of powder.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  18:34:42  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

A barrel of powder going off for me is an insta-kill for anyone standing nearby, with "nearby" changing depending on how big the barrel and how many they are. Don't even bother rolling dice, if you're that close you're dead. Period.

I don't use smokepowder in my games so I've never had to deal with an exploding powder horn. If it did come up, though, I'd base it off of the backfire damage of the weapon. For most 2e firearms (which is the system I play; can't help with 3.5), a backfire causes 1d6 points of damage. Figure at least some of that comes from the fact that you have the exploding thing against your face, so cut it in half.

So an exploding powder horn would do: [# of charges]d6/2.

The insta-kill is obvious, but what is the blast range then, and what is the damage outside the kill range? Have to factor in possible blindness (similar to drow light blindness), deafness, and shock, as well as shrapnel.

About ready to go visit a friend who hunts with black powder and blow up a keg to get an idea...

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  22:38:03  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that explosions kill with 1) shrapnel and 2) concussive force. So, unless you are packing your containers with shot you are only dealing with the wood/metal/bone in the horn or cask as far as shrapnel and the concussive force of black powder fades pretty quickly. It's not C4 nor is a cask a hand grenade (i.e. designed to kill when it explodes). Even hand grenades and C4 aren't deadly all that far from the blast (http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/50367-mythbusters-grenade-blast-zone-video.htm).

So, I'd say 5d6 damage in a Fireball radius isn't crazy talk. That'll core just about every 1 to 2 HD normal in range. Kegs and horns of powder simply aren't designed to be deadly - quite the opposite - they TRY to make them safe. That and fantasy world black powder (or smoke powder in the Realms) does not combust as quickly and efficiently as modern chemical explosives. This is not to say that if you use that powder to make a DELIBERATE bomb (packed with shot, shaped to enhance the explosion, etc) that you might not have a nasty little bomb on your hands.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  23:29:40  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

Keep in mind that explosions kill with 1) shrapnel and 2) concussive force. So, unless you are packing your containers with shot you are only dealing with the wood/metal/bone in the horn or cask as far as shrapnel and the concussive force of black powder fades pretty quickly. It's not C4 nor is a cask a hand grenade (i.e. designed to kill when it explodes). Even hand grenades and C4 aren't deadly all that far from the blast (http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/50367-mythbusters-grenade-blast-zone-video.htm).

So, I'd say 5d6 damage in a Fireball radius isn't crazy talk. That'll core just about every 1 to 2 HD normal in range. Kegs and horns of powder simply aren't designed to be deadly - quite the opposite - they TRY to make them safe. That and fantasy world black powder (or smoke powder in the Realms) does not combust as quickly and efficiently as modern chemical explosives. This is not to say that if you use that powder to make a DELIBERATE bomb (packed with shot, shaped to enhance the explosion, etc) that you might not have a nasty little bomb on your hands.

I have a very...unique gaming party. They think outside the box. One really likes big booms, so I fully expect black powder to be made into bombs, or A BIG BOMB. I am limiting it severly, but's who to say they don't make an insane Craft (Alchemy) check to make some? Just need to be prepared.

I understand how black powder works. The shrapnel and concussive force is the majority of the damage outside the fire zone (and even inside), but what is the radius of a blast for those? Consider an average pack job, straight black powder, no shot. (If they try to make a nasty bomb, I think they will fail a Dex check and lose a hand; need to rein them in a bit).

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  23:46:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Deadlands D20, a stick of dynamite does 4D10 + 1D10 per stick added.

Doing some quick research, it takes an average of about 2 grams of Black Powder to load a gun, and a single stick of dynamite is about 270 grams. This means a single stick of dynamite contains enough Black powder to fire your gun 135 times! (that seems awfully high, but what do I know?)

That means it would take 135 charges to equal 4d10 of damage, so about 34 charges should equal 1D10 of damage. I don't know how much a horn or keg holds, but that seems pretty insignificant.

EDIT: I've found varying numbers for how much a gun uses - more like a gram for most pistols and 2 grams (and up) for rifles. If we assume FR/Golarion uses fairly primitive, small caliber weapons then its more like 1 gram = 1 charge, which would mean the Black powder horns and kegs will do even less damage then I calculated above (about half that).

The damage an explosion does is also affected by its containment - if you are in an open field you will sustain far less damage then if you were in an enclosed room.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Oct 2012 23:57:16
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  23:48:34  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am reminded of Bruenor's jump onto the back of the dragon Shimmergloom, carrying a keg of lantern oil and a torch. The keg shattered on impact, spewing the oil all about, and lighting old Shimmer up aplenty.

But because the wyrm was on the wing, the explosive force was largely carried forward with its momentum, so it didn't affect the bystanders up on the cliff ledge, or those crawling up the side of the gorge.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  00:58:57  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

In Deadlands D20, a stick of dynamite does 4D10 + 1D10 per stick added.

Doing some quick research, it takes an average of about 2 grams of Black Powder to load a gun, and a single stick of dynamite is about 270 grams. This means a single stick of dynamite contains enough Black powder to fire your gun 135 times! (that seems awfully high, but what do I know?)

That means it would take 135 charges to equal 4d10 of damage, so about 34 charges should equal 1D10 of damage. I don't know how much a horn or keg holds, but that seems pretty insignificant.

EDIT: I've found varying numbers for how much a gun uses - more like a gram for most pistols and 2 grams (and up) for rifles. If we assume FR/Golarion uses fairly primitive, small caliber weapons then its more like 1 gram = 1 charge, which would mean the Black powder horns and kegs will do even less damage then I calculated above (about half that).

The damage an explosion does is also affected by its containment - if you are in an open field you will sustain far less damage then if you were in an enclosed room.

I think you are on to something here. Well, a keg holds 250 shots, is made of wood, lined with lead. The actual explosive flame damage wouldn't be too severe, but the shrapnel and concussive force would be out there.

BTW, Markustay, I LOVE your maps! What program do you use?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  03:23:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As of now, GIMP... for the time being.

I used to use Photoshop, and hope to be doing so again someday (if I ever manage to settle with the Ins. Co.)

Thanks for the praise - its what keeps me chuggin' along.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  15:16:43  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As of now, GIMP... for the time being.

I used to use Photoshop, and hope to be doing so again someday (if I ever manage to settle with the Ins. Co.)

Thanks for the praise - its what keeps me chuggin' along.

No problem. I regularly use your 3E style maps for our Realms campaign at home. Are you ever going to encompass them into a world map involving the entire Faerun-Kara-Tur-Zakhara continent? It killed me when WotC cut those settings for 3E.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  19:14:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had one that was about 75% done (a world map). Kara-Tur was 98% complete, and then I was moving onto Zakhara (which was started, but very undetailed at that point).

Unfortunately life did away with that map, the computer, my room... LOL.

So now I am working on another, and in a weird way, I felt almost 'uplifted' by my personal tragedy. By removing all my old stuff, it gave me a fresh start - something I wanted to do but was loathe to do because of all the work I put into the older stuff. The fire was almost cathartic - it removed all my attachments to canon (I had hundreds of game books and other reference material). It allowed me to view things in a new light.

I am moving far away from the topic now, but one last thing - I've sort of become a Kossuth worshiper through all of this. The fire did not destroy me; it set me free. In hindsight, I realize our 'stuff' can be become shackles. I was literally drowning in my material things, and now a great weight has been lifted. In life, you don't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need.

Anyhow, I am placing locales today on my new Western Heartlands map, so I will hopefully have that done in a timely fashion. Then I will do the Eastern Heartlands, and then onto the rest. So as to not repeat my previous mistake, I will be releasing them piecemeal, rather then waiting until the entire world is done. My plan is to eventually do Kara-Tur again, and possibly Zakhara at some point. If I learned anything, it is to set yourself more realistic goals.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Oct 2012 19:20:20
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  22:08:16  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I had one that was about 75% done (a world map). Kara-Tur was 98% complete, and then I was moving onto Zakhara (which was started, but very undetailed at that point).

Unfortunately life did away with that map, the computer, my room... LOL.

So now I am working on another, and in a weird way, I felt almost 'uplifted' by my personal tragedy. By removing all my old stuff, it gave me a fresh start - something I wanted to do but was loathe to do because of all the work I put into the older stuff. The fire was almost cathartic - it removed all my attachments to canon (I had hundreds of game books and other reference material). It allowed me to view things in a new light.

I am moving far away from the topic now, but one last thing - I've sort of become a Kossuth worshiper through all of this. The fire did not destroy me; it set me free. In hindsight, I realize our 'stuff' can be become shackles. I was literally drowning in my material things, and now a great weight has been lifted. In life, you don't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need.

Anyhow, I am placing locales today on my new Western Heartlands map, so I will hopefully have that done in a timely fashion. Then I will do the Eastern Heartlands, and then onto the rest. So as to not repeat my previous mistake, I will be releasing them piecemeal, rather then waiting until the entire world is done. My plan is to eventually do Kara-Tur again, and possibly Zakhara at some point. If I learned anything, it is to set yourself more realistic goals.

Been there. done that. One day, I looked around, and realized "I've got too much...crap." I just trashed it all. 4th time in my life that I got rid of everything or damn near (first three not by choice, 1 fire, 2 moves), but the first time I wanted to. Now I keep what I use. If I don't use it, it's gone. My old ROOM full of RPG books has been cut down to a small bookshelf. My multiple TB drives down to one, half full.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  07:15:23  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When Brian asked me to help sort some chronology stuff out in the early days of the latest Menzo book, I busted out all of my old Drizzt notes. And it's an unwieldy mess, I tell you. Honestly, I was finding it difficult to manage it all, knowing the schedule he was wanting to keep.

Then, in the last days of my involvement, I was furiously trying to type down everything that came to mind before I passed out from sleep deprivation, and stuff just started flowing out of me, without even checking back with my notes. I distinctly remember that I finally figured out the birth years for Matron Malice and Zaknafein Do'Urden, based on lots of fleeting time clues from the "Dark Elf Trilogy" books, which was something that I had been struggling with for 5 years. (There's just so many tidbits of info to try to account for.) It all finally just clicked, and when I double-checked it against my notes--what do you know?--it fit! It was like a magical experience for me. (Well, that and the whole sleep-deprived-punchy thing.)

It's my understanding that a lot of the chronology stuff got cut from the final draft of the book, and that's a shame. But I will always remember that last day's whirlwind session of figuring and smashing away at the keyboard.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  14:24:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey

I have a very...unique gaming party. They think outside the box. One really likes big booms, so I fully expect black powder to be made into bombs, or A BIG BOMB. I am limiting it severly, but's who to say they don't make an insane Craft (Alchemy) check to make some? Just need to be prepared.

I understand how black powder works. The shrapnel and concussive force is the majority of the damage outside the fire zone (and even inside), but what is the radius of a blast for those? Consider an average pack job, straight black powder, no shot. (If they try to make a nasty bomb, I think they will fail a Dex check and lose a hand; need to rein them in a bit).

If that's the case... don't forget the critical failures too.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  21:53:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@BEAST - That really hits home for me.

I had created an 'Eastern Chronology' tying the Hordelands material into the K-T material, along with what little we know about the shining Lands and utter east, with supplemental material from Desert of Desolation and various other modules and stories set in that massive region. I did this for the Utter East project, and although it still had some rough patches it was pretty good (if I do say so myself). Then the GHotR came out, which changed a couple of things (or rather 'shed light on'), and I had to go back and re-tweak. As time went on, and I got more and more info (bits in Dragon Magic, Open Grave, and the 2e Book of Artifacts, to name a few), I found I was fighting my timeline more then anything else.

I absolutely hated the idea of just chucking the thing out and starting fresh, which is what I should have done. Then after the fire, that became a non-issue. That timeline no longer exists. It will be a lot easier assembling a new one without have to fight all the 'kewl' I padded the original one with. I can now create one with canon-only entries, and then go back in and sprinkle my own lore into that (because now I am aware of all the 'lost bits' that I had found after creating the original).

On Topic:
I agree with Slevas - FR/medieval tech isn't RW modern tech, and things were highly unstable, and early firearms, canon, and bombs usually, eventually lead to experimenter's deaths (and the poor saps who were 'honored' with testing them). People were also very afraid of explosions - me thinks there is a wee bit of 'meta-gaming' going on there (but of course, that's completely YOUR call).

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Oct 2012 21:59:03
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  22:58:39  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
On Topic:
I agree with Slevas - FR/medieval tech isn't RW modern tech, and things were highly unstable, and early firearms, canon, and bombs usually, eventually lead to experimenter's deaths (and the poor saps who were 'honored' with testing them). People were also very afraid of explosions - me thinks there is a wee bit of 'meta-gaming' going on there (but of course, that's completely YOUR call).

Oh, usually they figure on how to blow something up using achemist's fire, but with this introduction, I warned them all that meta-gaming will result in failed saves and lost limbs (or heads). I told them if they run into an enemy for the first time with a blunderbuss, because they have never seen one, or heard of one, they have to laugh at the NPC, then run away after someone is shot.

Figured by introducing gunpowder, and making it rare, it will keep them in check. I set the Craft (Alchemy) check VERY high to create it, even after obtaining some, because of the precise measurements it takes to make functional gunpowder from it's key 3 ingredients. A 1% variation on any ingredient can change how potent it is, so I set the check at DC 45 minimum. I doubt anyone will dump almost 20 points into Craft (Alchemy) before Level 20.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000