Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lifespan of the various Yuan-ti breeds
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Contagious Cure
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2012 :  18:59:03  Show Profile Send Contagious Cure a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How long do Yuan-Ti purebloods, malisons and abominations live? According to this entry:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Yuan-ti, it says they mature at 20 years of age and can live 6000, 8000 and 10000 years respectively... but I have no idea how that article obtained that information as I can't find this information in Serpent Kingdoms.

Serpent Kingdoms does say that as yuan-ti get older, they start to slumber for increasingly long periods of time. Roughly when do they hit this stage? For an abomination would it be about the 8000 year mark? Are there any examples of famous/notorious Yuan-Ti that can give me an idea about their lifespan and when they hit their stage of somnolence?

Edited by - Contagious Cure on 08 Oct 2012 18:59:36

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2012 :  19:38:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Ecology of the Yuan-ti, Dragon Magazine 151 -
quote:
The gestation period for yuan-ti young is about 60 months. Approximately 30% of the resulting creatures are so deformed that they die shortly after birth. This gives the yuan-ti a very low growth rate but is counterbalanced by their extremely long lifespans. Pureblood yuan-ti age as do gray elves (AD&D 1st Edition Dungeon Masters Guide, page 13). Halfbreeds live twice as long as purebloods, and abominations have a life span three times that of a gray elf, some 6,000 years.

Today, we call 'Gray' elves Eladrin.

It should be 2000, 4000, and 6000. I have no idea where the 6K, 8K, and 10K numbers come from - I consider that article to contain the quintessential info on Yuan-ti.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Oct 2012 19:43:05
Go to Top of Page

Contagious Cure
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2012 :  19:55:33  Show Profile Send Contagious Cure a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Markustay, I'll see if I can get my hands on that article for a read.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  14:28:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Contagious Cure

How long do Yuan-Ti purebloods, malisons and abominations live? According to this entry:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Yuan-ti, it says they mature at 20 years of age and can live 6000, 8000 and 10000 years respectively... but I have no idea how that article obtained that information as I can't find this information in Serpent Kingdoms.

Serpent Kingdoms does say that as yuan-ti get older, they start to slumber for increasingly long periods of time. Roughly when do they hit this stage? For an abomination would it be about the 8000 year mark? Are there any examples of famous/notorious Yuan-Ti that can give me an idea about their lifespan and when they hit their stage of somnolence?

So, what I'm hearing is Yuan-ti body parts make great components in magical rituals to increase longevity.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  10:59:38  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Contagious Cure

So, what I'm hearing is Yuan-ti body parts make great components in magical rituals to increase longevity.

I was thinking the same thing, only in an alchemical sense. Things along the lines of Essential Humours and Phlegmatic Spirits and the like, derived from a yuan-ti abomination (proven ingredients, of course) would command quite the sum at the local Wizard's Market.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000