Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Alchemical process to become Half-fiend???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  16:14:03  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As it is possible, even in canon material, to become a half-Dragon by some complicated alchemical / magic procedures, I'd like to know if this also would work for the Half-fiend template??

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  17:04:39  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure that would be in the purview of alchemy. I would think it would be more likely a magical transformation via a powerful ritual. You would probably need to call upon a powerful archfiend and give him/her a valuable bribe. Even then, you'd have to hope for the fiend's favor.

Alternatively, it could be granted as a "gift" by a powerful fiend.

Like with anything, it is up to the DM (and the PC) if they want to use this kind of thing in their games. It could be achieved through a prestige class/paragon path. There may even be one that does this that I'm forgetting. There certainly were advanced classes allowing people to slowly transform into half-dragons or into undead.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  18:23:04  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the War of the Spider Queen saga, Triel Baenre,a Matron Mother, mates with the demon Belshazu, and give birth to a draegloth (drow/demon).

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  18:41:58  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Eytan, this is how I see it also, but on the Half-Dragon template, it is stated that it canbe achieved via alchemical procedures, prolly also boosted by magic, but that is what made me curious.
For example, the fiend which the gnolls obey, could grant agift like this to a formidable gnoll chieftain or something...

@gavinho
thanks for this, if you plan to have a half-fiend from beginning, this is fairly easy, u just add the template at char-generation.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  18:49:39  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nar fiendbond spell from Lost Empires of Faerun

using PF Alchemist I don't think so, it would be easier to use a synthesist summoner

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  21:03:37  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

@Eytan, this is how I see it also, but on the Half-Dragon template, it is stated that it canbe achieved via alchemical procedures, prolly also boosted by magic, but that is what made me curious.
For example, the fiend which the gnolls obey, could grant agift like this to a formidable gnoll chieftain or something...

@gavinho
thanks for this, if you plan to have a half-fiend from beginning, this is fairly easy, u just add the template at char-generation.

I think the issue likes in the fact that the term alchemy is being used differently in the lore than it is in the game mechanics. Alchemy often just means the art (or science) of turning one thing into another. In a lot of fantasy, you can achieve just about anything with it. But in D&D 3e and 4e, it is generally limited to creating substances that have unusual, but not necessarily magical effects. It doesn't generally extend to the transformation of living beings into other types of living beings - though alchemy could certainly be used to cause other kinds of mutations.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  19:12:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it a joke about Exterminatus Now?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  02:17:33  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you say it can be done, it can be done. If you can become half-dragon I don't see why you can't magically become part demonic. The limits of transmutation are only our imaginations.

In the Lady Penitent trilogy there is a character who grafts a demon onto himself. Over time and if he became more powerful why couldn't someone become a half-fiend? I believe this was based on Acolyte of the Skin from the sourcebook Complete Arcane. I can't remember exactly but I think they eventually become "Outsiders". Something like this could be adapted to become a half-fiend instead of merging with one. Remove parts of demons and graft them onto yourself? Slowly change your blood into demon's blood? Polymorph/shapechange yourself into demon/devil form so often you start to become more and more like one permanently?

Edited by - MrHedgehog on 01 Oct 2012 02:23:03
Go to Top of Page

Contagious Cure
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  20:48:26  Show Profile Send Contagious Cure a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't heard of it. Probably wouldn't be through alchemy though but a powerful ritual. Closest I can think of are the Yuan-Ti who at times perform rituals that can "elevate" a human to a pureblood, a pureblood to a half-breed and a half-breed to an abomination etc.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2012 :  00:45:59  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

If you say it can be done, it can be done. If you can become half-dragon I don't see why you can't magically become part demonic.
Yep, and that's kind of cheesy...
quote:
Originally posted by Contagious Cure

Haven't heard of it. Probably wouldn't be through alchemy though but a powerful ritual.
...on the other eyestalk, using bloodline mechanics to acquire traits similiar to a fiendish/elemental/fey/etc line (and not inheritable past "vague taint") via consecutive procedures would be fine, IMO.
Mechanically, it's not like taking a Wizard level, but since it doesn't count for multiclassing, while counts vs. "HD affected", maximum skill ranks, save DC and other benefits of all other classes at once, well, not bad either.

I'd rule it this way:
First, a check for alchemy to see whether the procedure and components are correctly designed; adjusted for prior performance, affinities, etc. Then another check for actual implementation.
Difficulty and component requirement would depend on the power of the process (replacing "bloodline strength" for HD rate requirement of hit dice).
E.g. an "Intermediate" augmentation is up to 1:2 with class levels and gives stuff between 1st and 2nd affinity bonuses, but it goes noticeably above sniffing pixie dust; "Major" can go up to 1:1, and is the only way to get stuff from the 2nd affinity bonus and up, but it requires substances like fresh blood/ichor/whatever of a full-blooded specimen of appropriate HD, or relevant even more exotic planar material, every time. Good luck with that.
Then the victim lab rat is given a drink/injection/immersion/all of the above and takes a Con check to see whether the body took it well; adjusted for the laborant's (2nd check's) result, number of already present augmentation levels of this type and difference between the subject's current HD and the one allowed to take the next augmentation level, and penalty from present non-restored drain by the same procedure.
Unless it's a too-powerful version used on a low-level character, failure should not be immediately lethal, but very debilitating for many days (depending on how badly it's failed), perhaps with ability drain of 1 / power grade or so (add a potion of restoration to the wasted expenses).
Of course, there's no good reason why all 3 checks should be made by the same character. So, choose your lab rat (or your mad doctor, respectively) wisely.
If all 3 checks are passed well, the subject is eligible (for the present augmentation levels, current HD and procedure's power level), the next augmentation level is added, yay.
Existing levels of augmentation of another type or bloodline should be incompatible or at best badly compatible (giving -4/level to Con check or something, and/or must be taken into account by tweaking the procedure).

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  01:59:28  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember distinctly of a drug from 3rd Edition, I think from a Dungeon Magazine, that if you used it you became a half-fiend for a limited amount of time. If I find it I will post the source.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2012 :  21:03:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Technicaly, there's a spell Fiendform, so why not brew a potion that temporarily turns the imbiber into fiend almost completely.
But where's the fun in that?

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  09:34:25  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A high-level demonbinder would also be a good candidate for becoming a half-fiend...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000