Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Living Constructs of the Realms: Wooly's Warforged
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  15:41:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so, as I've mentioned more than once, I've been working on three articles presenting Realms-based versions of warforged.

It's been an on-again, off-again project, more off-again than on-again. My free time isn't all that copious: I have a toddler, I work long hours, and I am easily distracted by bright and shiny objects. So this project has crept along at glacial speeds -- or, when compared to the Sage, it's been lightning fast!

I've already pinged Big Al, and these will be part of the next site update. But since a lot of people have expressed interest in this, and because I really want to, I've decided to go ahead and share.

Why the warforged? Of the new races of Eber-whatsit, I like them the most. I'm a huge fan of droids, robots, AIs, and even cyborgs, when it comes to regular sci-fi. The fantasy equivalents are intelligent constructs, particularly free-willed intelligent constructs. We don't have many of those in the Realms, but there are a few, like Minder, Squch, and Aragus.

As mentioned in the intro's for my warforged equivalents, other Eber-whatsit races like shifters and changelings are easy enough to port to the Realms.

Changelings could be the results of ancient magical manipulation, or they could be descendants of half-doppelgangers. Either way, I'd have them extremely rare, with maybe a dozen in a city the size of Waterdeep.

Shifters could be descendants of lycanthropes who didn't get enough of the lycanthrope blood for a full change -- the Eber-whatsit backstory, with the purge of werecritters, isn't really necessary. Alternatively, a shifter could be the offspring of a cursed lycanthrope -- I, personally, have never like the D&D idea that cursed lycanthropes would have more cursed lycanthropes as offspring. Going this route, maybe it would take two shifters having kids to make a natural lycanthrope... Another idea is a cursed lycanthrope who manages to overcome the curse, and has shifter abilities as a consequence.

Warforged are a bit more tricky than shifters or changelings, though. Warforged are the results of what is essentially a fantasy version of World War I. That doesn't work as readily in the Realms. There have been some major wars, but nothing as large as the Last War.

So here's what I've come up with... Each one includes a sample NPC; I'd've been done with this somewhat earlier if I hadn't decided to include those!

Living Constructs of the Realms, part 1: Livegolems
Living Constructs of the Realms, part 2: Elfbane golems
Living Constructs of the Realms, part 3: Eidelar

Edit: Changed the links to the files, from my own site to the main Candlekeep site, where Big Al so graciously shared them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Feb 2015 16:21:43

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  15:41:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Livegolems were the ones I came up with first; these are closest to the classic warforged of the Eber-whatsit setting. Their backstory is more closely tied in to existing Realmslore than the other ones, and they are the ones most suitable for use as PCs. The Raumathar-Narfell conflict from way back is the closest thing to the Last War, and it did involve constructs. Livegolems are basically an extrapolation of the lore concerning that conflict.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  15:42:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Living Constructs of the Realms, part 2: Elfbane golems

Elfbane golems were my second idea. The original idea was for a Spelljammer hook, blending the livegolem idea with the idea of a scro getting his hands on the plants the Elven Imperial Navy grows its ships from. I later decided to make this more of a Realms idea, and Dretch was the perfect connection to maintain that angle. I pinged Ed about it, and he agreed that it was something Dretch would go for.

I'm a huge fan of scro, so I had to leave that angle in there, though I played it down in the article -- if a DM isn't a Spelljammer fan, he can tweak Tolmakh into whatever works better for him. I personally figure that either Tolmakh was shipwrecked and decided to make the best of it, or he was a sort of saboteur, sent in to cause trouble before a scro invasion that was scheduled but never happened.

I figure that the sample elfbane golem is some sort of evil ranger, maybe with some druid abilities, as well. He was fun to come up with -- I so rarely do evil NPCs.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Sep 2012 15:45:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  15:42:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Living Constructs of the Realms, part 3: Eidelar

I'm also a huge fan of psionics, and psionics in the Realms means Jhaamdath. I wanted to do some sort of psionic warforged, and mixing the psicrystal concept with the B'omarr monk idea, from Star Wars, gave me the perfect angle.

The term "eidelar" was inspired by the word "eidolon"; going more with the classic definition than with the critter associated with Pathfinder summoners -- I hadn't even heard of them, when I finally came up with that term.

Ed told me that WotC had come up with the word eidelar themselves, and had some idea in mind for it, but since they've apparently not run with it, I consider my independent creation of the same word to be free for my use. If I was hoping to publish this thru them, I'd likely change that, but I have obviously decided against that.

Edit: Updated link to B'omarr monk article.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Oct 2013 09:53:45
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  17:33:44  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason when I saw the phrase "Wooly's Warforged," the first thing that came to mind was "Roosevelt's Rough Riders." Anyways, I am looking forward to reading these. Thank you for sharing, Oh Great Wooly One!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  17:43:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like your spin on the last war concept...that, I think, is the best way to bring warforged into Faerun.

Simply finding a room filled with them in a dungeon (that was once a "manufacturing facility")...and them all awakening at once when the room is opened, could easily bring thousands of Warforged into the Forgotten Realms.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  17:52:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I really like your spin on the last war concept...that, I think, is the best way to bring warforged into Faerun.

Simply finding a room filled with them in a dungeon (that was once a "manufacturing facility")...and them all awakening at once when the room is opened, could easily bring thousands of Warforged into the Forgotten Realms.

Well, my idea is to have smaller numbers -- I mainly wanted the option of warforged, as opposed to making them a prominent race. That said, the livegolem idea in particular could be readily upscaled.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  17:52:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

For some reason when I saw the phrase "Wooly's Warforged," the first thing that came to mind was "Roosevelt's Rough Riders." Anyways, I am looking forward to reading these. Thank you for sharing, Oh Great Wooly One!

My pleasure!

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  17:53:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well, my idea is to have smaller numbers -- I mainly wanted the option of warforged, as opposed to making them a prominent race. That said, the livegolem idea in particular could be readily upscaled.

I was just placing the apple there for picking.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  01:39:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So this project has crept along at glacial speeds -- or, when compared to the Sage, it's been lightning fast!
Obviously, my own interpretations of varied contructs/warforged for the Realms will be vastly superior to your own.

When I get to finishing them up and posting the results here at Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  04:52:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

So this project has crept along at glacial speeds -- or, when compared to the Sage, it's been lightning fast!
Obviously, my own interpretations of varied contructs/warforged for the Realms will be vastly superior to your own.

When I get to finishing them up and posting the results here at Candlekeep.

Just in time for 7E, right?

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  06:18:48  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know whethr anyone read Bruce Cordell Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy but in the third book the warlock Japheth managed a ritual which transferred the psionic "awareness"(or energy) into a metal body. She is a sort of golem.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  09:19:59  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Livegolems are the most interesting of the three. Do they have any connection with the maugs, GHotR mentions the Raumathari created them. Elfbanes are also a fine idea, especially the crystalline plant material and the animation method.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  09:43:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Faerunian constructs are way inferior to heartstone-powered or etherium-enhanced constructs in Magic: The Gathering. Time to import etherium to the Realms, or give 'metal magic' some boost.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  11:05:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Livegolems are the most interesting of the three. Do they have any connection with the maugs, GHotR mentions the Raumathari created them. Elfbanes are also a fine idea, especially the crystalline plant material and the animation method.

I'm not familiar with maugs, so no connection. Besides, the livegolem project was one guy and his assistants -- it wasn't part of any national effort. It could have become that, in time, but events prevented that.

This was mainly to keep the numbers small. As I mentioned before, I didn't want warforged popping up everywhere -- but I did want the possibility of warforged characters.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  15:35:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not familiar with maugs, so no connection.
Maugs are Acheron-based constructs... originally detailed in the 3e Fiend Folio.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  17:03:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm not familiar with maugs, so no connection.
Maugs are Acheron-based constructs... originally detailed in the 3e Fiend Folio.

Ah. Definitely no connection, though I suppose that a livegolem could have been captured by the Narfelli and somehow corrupted into something like a maug...

I currently do not have that book; I've not replaced it, if I had it before the fire.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  19:04:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

I dont know whethr anyone read Bruce Cordell Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy but in the third book the warlock Japheth managed a ritual which transferred the psionic "awareness"(or energy) into a metal body. She is a sort of golem.

There was a female golem in the Forgotten Realms Comic book many moons ago...

Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  19:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this idea Wooly. Glad to see that it's finally a completed project (and, once I have time away from MY toddler, I'll be reading them all).

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  19:41:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yup -- Minder. I mentioned her in my original post, along with other free-willed, intelligent constructs like Squch the scaladar and Aragus the Helmed Horror.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2012 :  02:39:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Aye. She became part of my inspiration for one of my own takes on Realms constructs/warforged. I need to finish it up, though, and compile it into an appreciable form for others to read.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  20:41:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Aye. She became part of my inspiration for one of my own takes on Realms constructs/warforged. I need to finish it up, though, and compile it into an appreciable form for others to read.

I've been fiddling with a similar idea for an NPC, myself... But that's beyond the scope of my articles. I may hit some of the one-offs, later. Once I finish with (or get bored with) my current project of populating an Inn, I plan on working some of these one-off NPC concepts I've been fiddling with.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  02:47:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've been fiddling with a similar idea for an NPC, myself... But that's beyond the scope of my articles. I may hit some of the one-offs, later. Once I finish with (or get bored with) my current project of populating an Inn, I plan on working some of these one-off NPC concepts I've been fiddling with.

Hmmm. Running my own take as an NPC is an interesting idea. I hadn't previously considered that.

Thanks Wooly.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  16:43:38  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally went the Narfell-Raumathar origin, with psi forged coming from ideas lifted from Jhaamdath (since Jhaamdath wouldn't have need of them really considering the peace aspect of Auppenser). I had it where a vast facility built by the Raumathar lay dormant and, mysteriously, stores war forged have begun awakening.

I also had Pathfinder's Summoner class originate in Narfell, and the art died out but surfaces in Faerun now and then---with many greedy wizards and other interests hunting down such people to take advantage of such power
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  02:06:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I personally went the Narfell-Raumathar origin, with psi forged coming from ideas lifted from Jhaamdath (since Jhaamdath wouldn't have need of them really considering the peace aspect of Auppenser). I had it where a vast facility built by the Raumathar lay dormant and, mysteriously, stores war forged have begun awakening.
I'm deep into a reworking of my own psiforged variants for the Realms -- drawing heavily from content included in the fantastic Hyperconscious by Bruce Cordell.

Hopefully I'll have this ready by the time I've finished with my own construct work-ups as well.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  05:15:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Livegolems were the ones I came up with first; these are closest to the classic warforged of the Eber-whatsit setting. Their backstory is more closely tied in to existing Realmslore than the other ones, and they are the ones most suitable for use as PCs. The Raumathar-Narfell conflict from way back is the closest thing to the Last War, and it did involve constructs. Livegolems are basically an extrapolation of the lore concerning that conflict.

I got some feedback from Krash on this one... I'd pinged him since this one deals with his corner of the Realms. I've since tweaked this article just a bit.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  17:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, Wooly.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  19:16:13  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saved all three constructs to my HDD. Well done, Wooly! I loved the background for each one!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  17:36:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only looked at one so far, and I think that might be the one you've tweaked. I really need to read the rest - I have a special interest in this sort of thing as part of my 'Eastern' research (pertaining to Imaskar and then Raumathar, which I have a feeling is part of what you discussed with Krash).

Interestingly, the PF RPG just added the 'Android' race (Inner Sea Bestiary). Not my cup of tea, but fans of Warforged would probably like them. The name alone was enough to turn me off.

Thanks again for posting these.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Dec 2012 17:36:59
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  19:58:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I've only looked at one so far, and I think that might be the one you've tweaked. I really need to read the rest - I have a special interest in this sort of thing as part of my 'Eastern' research (pertaining to Imaskar and then Raumathar, which I have a feeling is part of what you discussed with Krash).

Interestingly, the PF RPG just added the 'Android' race (Inner Sea Bestiary). Not my cup of tea, but fans of Warforged would probably like them. The name alone was enough to turn me off.

Thanks again for posting these.

Indeed, the Raumathar angle was what I discussed with Krash. Those contructs, the livegolems, are the best suited for use as PCs. The other two type have wholly different origins, and are not as suitable for use as PCs. Elfbane golems are from Cormanthyr and are meant to be opponents, and eidelar (hailing from Jhaamdath and inspired in large part by the B'omarr monks from Return of the Jedi) are more of a sage/adviser/mentor type.

People that dislike elves should like elfbane golems, I think.

And the eidelar are the psionic ones.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  06:15:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I got some feedback from Krash on this one... I'd pinged him since this one deals with his corner of the Realms. I've since tweaked this article just a bit.

The tweaks were very, very minor and Wooly did a great job with them. Really excellent realmslore and now officially part of "my" Raumathar.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000