Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Halaster may live!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2012 :  02:13:31  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hola fellow scribes,

So I was reading through Volo's Guide to all things Magical and on page 85 we have Halaster's Quaff, a magical elixir the Mad Mage created and benefited from.

One of the abilities gained states: The imbiber gains 12 "extra" hit points, considered only when normal hit points are exhausted. When the last "extra" hit point is exhausted, the imbiber does not die; rather, his or her body passes into the ethereal plane to drift senseless there in temporal stasis, existing indefinitely in such a state until aided by prearranged magic or the actions of another being or harmed by a creature who happens upon it. If this floating body is dealt an additional 12 points of damage, death does occur.

So I'm theorizing that when Halaster was blasted into soul shards, part of him was also thrown into whatever the ethereal is called. Maybe if those shards are collected and fused with his body floating in stasis he will live again. It would make for an interesting 5E Realms premise to an Undermountain adventure. :)

Regardless of how it's accomplished this DOES give them a way to bring the Mad Mage back. :)

*In Homer's voice* WOO-HOO!

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2012 :  03:17:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, is that is what 6 people read and did not reply to?

All things are possible, and what was may not be what is. New Print is Canon even if it makes no sense with what was printed prior. So Yes very likely he is alive. Up to those that write canon.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2012 :  04:10:49  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know much about Halaster myself- mostly what I got from NWN HotU, which is not much. I've read a few bits in sourcebooks as well, but nothing really specific.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2012 :  05:33:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good point... I remain rather dissatisfied with Hally's death and subsequent events in Undermountain.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2012 :  12:24:58  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imagine Halaster returning, restarting his "zoo" of creatures and attempting to capture an Abolteh from the Sovereignty

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2012 :  14:44:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Bane

Imagine Halaster returning, restarting his "zoo" of creatures and attempting to capture an Abolteh from the Sovereignty

Only if it's the oly Aboleth left anywhere in the realms and I'd trade the whole sovereignty for Halaster in an instant.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2012 :  16:06:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's an interesting possibility, though may not exactly be the reason for his return. Ed mentioned some hints about the return of several characters, Hally included. Or so I gathered.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2012 :  18:41:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even in canon, he didn't really die... at leats not in the normal way. His soul was shattered.

To me, that means someone just has to glue him back together.

Nice catch on that Volo entry.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Sep 2012 18:41:40
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2012 :  03:35:24  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see Halaster again. I also wonder what happened to Priamons phylactery.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

glitter
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2012 :  13:10:22  Show Profile Send glitter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hola fellow scribes,

So I was reading through Volo's Guide to all things Magical and on page 85 we have Halaster's Quaff, a magical elixir the Mad Mage created and benefited from.

One of the abilities gained states: The imbiber gains 12 "extra" hit points, considered only when normal hit points are exhausted. When the last "extra" hit point is exhausted, the imbiber does not die; rather, his or her body passes into the ethereal plane to drift senseless there in temporal stasis, existing indefinitely in such a state until aided by prearranged magic or the actions of another being or harmed by a creature who happens upon it. If this floating body is dealt an additional 12 points of damage, death does occur.

So I'm theorizing that when Halaster was blasted into soul shards, part of him was also thrown into whatever the ethereal is called. Maybe if those shards are collected and fused with his body floating in stasis he will live again. It would make for an interesting 5E Realms premise to an Undermountain adventure. :)

Regardless of how it's accomplished this DOES give them a way to bring the Mad Mage back. :)

*In Homer's voice* WOO-HOO!

Well, I always considered that the question of resurrection is tightly linked to the soul (that spell only talk about the body), and the way Alaster died, I understand it as if woTC wanted to made it "definitive".
That's why I think that a come back is unlikely, even if I would like to see a return of my favorite bad guy of the Realms.

And, in case of a return, we can imagine another setting than Undermountain, he deserve better than that

-The black knight is invincible!
- You’re a looney.

Edited by - glitter on 24 Sep 2012 13:19:30
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2012 :  15:22:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds intriguing. I would like to see more of the Mad Mage of the Undermoutain myself.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  02:56:43  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think bringing Halaster back would be one of the most important pieces of restoring the Realms to me! There is stuff in the "old" Realms that I have little nostalgy for, but the concept of Undermountain and Halaster is something that I feel is timeless and editionless. It's simply an epic location and character and the realms cannot be whole to me without both!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  04:35:41  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course Hally didn't die, its was a clone of his that died in the ritual, while he is
in Deep Imasker creating a new power base. The current Halaster in Undermountain is
an insane Manshoon clone due to that his mind cannot control all the Undermountain features
and built in controls and extras.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  18:52:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, imagine those poor unfortunates trapped in those sections of Halaster's "Undermountain" domain which are covered by Ravenloft's hungry mists ...

I mean, hey, if good old Lord Soth was cool enough to retroactively "visit" the Demiplane of Dread (and Desire), then Halaster is an obvious follow up. Plus we could even assert another potential "escape" from Ravenloft ... through a Ravenloftified version of Undermountain ... mwoohahahaaaa!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2012 :  07:19:09  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great catch on the reference, Eilserus.

As an archmage of "unfathomable power" (please read that in the voice of Bill from "Kill Bill") I think that there are multitude of ways that Halaster could come back without it feeling like a lazy retcon... and his elixir is definitely one of them.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000