Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Elminster, Gandalf or Dumbledore?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Owesstaer
Seeker

Luxembourg
27 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2016 :  16:09:54  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another vote for El from myself.

In addition to being a pawn, he has retained a human personality... and he's got the Symbul! ;)
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
569 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2016 :  21:41:59  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

maltor ramus
Acolyte

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2016 :  05:40:55  Show Profile Send maltor ramus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster as my vote is not only powerful & cunning, but he's able to date a goddess and in my book that makes him the strongest of them all lol:)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  17:24:00  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First - how did Dumbledore even make the list? He was not very powerful and in the end was dead.

I would put the others on par with each other. Both are magically mighty individuals in service of a greater power set to maintain an order and prevent disaster. Now, the magic we see them use has certainly been much more developed in ELs case, and FR in general seems to be more magic laden - but the Istari are uniquely powerful in their world while El is just one among many.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  18:07:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

First - how did Dumbledore even make the list? He was not very powerful and in the end was dead.

He was one of the most powerful wizards in the Potterverse.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3387 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  18:43:47  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Choosing not to extend ones life indefinitely does not determine the level of power an individual holds.
Dumbledore appeared to me to be a very wise and learned individual with an insatiable curiosity for all things magical (including history and creatures of which was different from his colleagues). Whether this translated into raw magical power is unknown because the books never detailed any of his magic without him having the elder wand which admittedly he won from grindelwald but their relationship may have predetermined the outcome.

Power seems an odd thing to measure a wizard against when gandalf appears to have been a middling wizard but achieved great world changing things by virtue of his knowledge and skill reading/predicting people and their reactions often many years into the future (perhaps aided by some kind of foresight ability, perhaps not).

Dumbledore was of the same type as gandalf. He predicted and manipulated the actions of everyone he came into contact with (not necessarily with evil intent, sometimes people were manipulated merely into achieving their potential). He also made sure to know all he could about magic, both good and bad, which helped him greatly in fighting voldemort.

Elminster I don't know about because I've never read the novels. He seems both less and more wise (acting rashly and yet able to outwit all his foes).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  22:29:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the three of them, Dumbledore is the only pure mortal. Elminster is of course a Chosen, and Gandalf was one of the Maiar -- a kind of spirit, sent down by the kinda-sorta-deities of Middle-Earth.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000