Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Friendship and rules
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  21:55:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once read a very good scify story (it may have been in OMNI magazine... not sure) wherein humans land on a planet, and the natives just had their own 'Jesus moment' (so the arrival of the high-tech humans seemed trivial by comparison).

I thought that was a rather interesting take - that every planet gets its share of 'Messiahs'. What they do with the message (and the messengers) then determines their fate.

I suppose that means the Realms - in that paradigm - should have its Messiahs as well - both the Adama and Padhran faiths follow this route. Also, Ilmater has been mentioned before in this thread - he has 'Saints', so he is probably another of the Realms' Messiahs.

So the Realms should never get the actual Jesus (unless thats where he went after he resurrected), but they could get a reasonable facsimile. Then again, who knows what Ed had in his Realms? For all we know what I said in jest (Jesus came to the Realms) may have been something he had. Combine that with the DaVinci Code theories and instead of the French Merovingian dynasty, perhaps some secret branch of his bloodline survives yet hidden in the Forgotten Realms? That could be an interesting adventure-path for a group of Christians to follow in the Realms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Sep 2012 21:57:06
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  23:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd heartily echo Richard Lee Byers's comments on the subject. The realms isn't supposed to have RW religions, and it avoids the issue of mockery or religious argument to stick to Realms religions rather than try to bring real religion into it.

You might suggest the player look into other gods that have some similarity to Christ. Nobanion, Ilmater, heck even Tyr or Torm have aspects that reflect things you might find in Christianity. I'd look at this as an opportunity to explore religion that's more specific and less "all-encompassing" as a monotheistic RW religion.

If you're interested in introducing Christianity to your game, I highly suggest you play in a setting or a game other than the Realms. Look into the Arthur Pendragon game, or homebrew a setting based on the actual Middle Ages. Read Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon and create a setting similar to that, etc.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  23:18:48  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I once read a very good scify story (it may have been in OMNI magazine... not sure) wherein humans land on a planet, and the natives just had their own 'Jesus moment' (so the arrival of the high-tech humans seemed trivial by comparison).

I thought that was a rather interesting take - that every planet gets its share of 'Messiahs'. What they do with the message (and the messengers) then determines their fate.

I suppose that means the Realms - in that paradigm - should have its Messiahs as well - both the Adama and Padhran faiths follow this route. Also, Ilmater has been mentioned before in this thread - he has 'Saints', so he is probably another of the Realms' Messiahs.

So the Realms should never get the actual Jesus (unless thats where he went after he resurrected), but they could get a reasonable facsimile. Then again, who knows what Ed had in his Realms? For all we know what I said in jest (Jesus came to the Realms) may have been something he had. Combine that with the DaVinci Code theories and instead of the French Merovingian dynasty, perhaps some secret branch of his bloodline survives yet hidden in the Forgotten Realms? That could be an interesting adventure-path for a group of Christians to follow in the Realms.

I could see a number of interesting points that they’d have to restle with, especially since the closest approximation to the Hydesteruaja God, is Ao, and Ao works to remove himself from the mind’s of most beings. It would be an interesting test of faith, do you continue to remain true to your beliefs in the face of rather strong forces to the contrary. Still as a Christian, I don’t typically have my characters be Christians in my D&D game. I believe it is entirely to remain true to the value set, as it’s one I typically follow, without making other people uncomfortable and even caustic with the presence of bringing the religion into the game. I do know of one person that did bring Judaism into the game and some players that want to get as far away from the subject of religion as possible were uncomfortable with it. Now, you can say this group might be hypersensitive, perhaps they were, but when doing something like this one has to keep the entire group in mind when bringing something into the game.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2012 :  04:14:27  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm generally in favor of leaving the ‘world religions’ out of a D&D game. No Christianity, no Islam, no Buddhism, etc. It’s way too easy to offend people by seeming to mock their beliefs.

Now, this doesn’t mean that I object to the use in D&D of fictional game ‘gods’ based loosely on ancient mythology. I seriously doubt the highly fictionalized Finnish Mythos in Deities and Demigods offended anyone except a few scholars of pre-Christian Finnish mythology, who might be annoyed by the rampant errors and inaccuracies. One of just a few Finns I know took a look at it and got a good laugh over some of the stuff, but pronounced it ‘fun.’ Likewise, very few people are going to be offended by the inclusion of Tyr, who doesn’t even resemble his Norse original all that closely.

Literature is also fair game. Nobanion is based on Aslan, and Aslan is to some extent an allegory for Christ. But notice the degrees of separation. Nobanion isn’t meant to be a stand in for Christ in FR, just a lawful good lion deity. Again, I doubt that anyone is offended.

Christians believe that Jesus is GOD. Making God part of a game and then pretending to render Him subordinate to fictional game entities is going to offend a lot of people, or just confuse things and make the fantasy setting less fun.

Kara Tur too an interesting approach by including fictional religions that were clearly inspired by real world religions, but changing the names and a lot of the particulars—or leaving stuff vague. That, too, is a valid approach. I prefer something a bit more fantastical in FR.

Al Qadim designers seem to have been careful to avoid using Islam or anything directly modeled on Islam, while at the same time making good use of the ‘Hollywood Near East.’ The choice of polytheism was smart, as Islam is very much a monotheist religion. If anyone were offended, all you’d have to do is point out ‘these can’t be meant to be Muslims, look at how many gods they serve. They are pagans.’ Good choice.

That’s all in D&D.

Erik mentioned Pendragon; I’m a huge fan.Christianity is an integral part of the Matter of Britain. It just wouldn’t make sense without Christianity. The handling of magic, miracles, the divine, etc is much more subtle and less rules-oriented in Pendragon than in D&D. doesn’t have spell casting clerics, pages and pages of magic rules, the complex metaphysical rules of FR, and all that jazz. God, saints, devils, magicians: it’s all very mysterious.

It works well, IMO.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)

Edited by - combatmedic on 14 Sep 2012 04:16:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000