Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Forging the Forgotten Realms - by Ed Greenwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  05:02:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stopped trying to organise everything online-Realms-related that I've saved to my archives.

When you start getting into GB's of stored material, it's just easier on my mind to hope that I never have to search for anything in those archives at some future point...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  07:27:47  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wiki ftw.

The key, assuming that you want to be able to share it, is that things have to be paraphrased and massaged a bit. This makes public wikis difficult... eliminating plagiarism put up by lazy users and policing the uploads to avoid copyright violations becomes a full-time job for an entire team of people.

However, a blog is a good alternative. An offline wiki (which can be uploaded later to a site where JoeUser can't modify your work) can also work. I started on the blog approach and after 13k entries am building an offline wiki as well.

It's a lot of work to do by yourself... however, the payoff is that you have control of it and you can organize it to fit your needs. In my case I'm mostly interested in an index of where each bit of lore can be found. Then I can go read the original material. The only time I need to write something new is if I'm changing something for my own games or coming up with some way to unite divergent pieces of lore.

The huge value of a wiki or blog over word/text files is in the hyperlinks. Much faster than than opening files and doing Finds in Windows Explorer to find which document has a certain bit of text. Text/html files are also quite a bit smaller than Word files.

Anyway, I'm really happy to see this Forging the Realms series... happy because Ed is writing it, and happy because it offers streams of lore and thoughtstarters for a wide variety of people, places, and things. I've been disappointed when various similar series have stopped being published in the past; here's hoping that this one continues a good long while.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  21:48:21  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Staggering and overwhelming.
Yup.

But it's worth chipping away at, one piece of lore at a time for the particular bits of lore that we find interesting and worth saving as we're doing on Loremaster.

The work on collecting books and other media in the Realms is some of my favorite so far.

The Forging the Realms articles have been a great source of information.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 19 Jun 2013 21:50:25
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  01:58:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer
But it's worth chipping away at, one piece of lore at a time for the particular bits of lore that we find interesting and worth saving as we're doing on Loremaster.

The work on collecting books and other media in the Realms is some of my favorite so far.

Jeremy, I have a pretty up to date list of books, plays and songs of the Realms. Want me to send them through so you can fold them into your Loremaster stuff?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  03:03:22  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Jeremy, I have a pretty up to date list of books, plays and songs of the Realms. Want me to send them through so you can fold them into your Loremaster stuff?
George that would be a huge boon to the Lexicon.

Please and by all means send it on through and we'll do your work proud.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  03:44:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

-- George Krashos

Could I get a copy of that as well? My compulsion to compile every singular musically-related Realmslore tidbit forces me to peruse your own listing so I can see if I've missed anything.

Much appreciation in advance.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  14:53:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's article for the week focuses on guilds:- The Feather Guilds.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  03:44:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed reveals secrets of the Blades of the Unicorn in this week's "Forging the Realms" feature.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  03:58:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on secretive cabals this week, with Ed's latest "Forging the Realms" article:- Blades of the Unicorn [II?].

As per the update from The Lady Hooded One:- Vraunt of the Masked Princess.

I'm assuming either some individual on the Wizards' web team forgot to add a new name for this article [since it has the same as last week's submission], or these articles form a series of coverage on secretive/hidden cabals in the Realms.

Mod Edit: Posted amended title for the original article linked above.

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Jul 2013 03:46:00
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2013 :  19:22:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it should be entitled "Vraunt of the Masked Princess." Methinks the July 4th holiday (followed by the WotC offices being closed Thurs and Fri)had someone in a hurry, and the title field didn't get changed.
VRAUNT OF THE MASKED PRINCESS it is.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2013 :  03:46:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks, my lady.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2013 :  14:17:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Ed's own words... "Meet the Halarkenbloods."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  02:57:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More current clack from Ed for this week's "Forging the Realms" with:- Lord Mantlepard’s Homecoming.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  03:55:57  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady nobles dueling and defeating necromancers. That was an awesome article.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  05:58:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was a fun read.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2013 :  08:42:43  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In Ed's own words... "Meet the Halarkenbloods."

This one was superb. I will be using this interesting family in my game, rest assured.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  04:04:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed provides insights into the "mini-campaign" with The Solution.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  03:24:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's new article -- The Moondark Mystery -- cuts right to the heart of what I love about Ed-lore.

Plus, there's mention of spirit-guided skyships. Which left me cackling with ecstatic glee!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  08:37:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one was very nice and gave me some further ideas about ... stuff. Good stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  09:44:21  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was an awesome article. Kind of reminded me of a post Ed wrote in one of his Chamber of Sages responses about a singular elf tower, now gone to ruin, and the plants(?) bred to consume waste, that yet remain. I tried to google it but my google-fu is weak.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2013 :  05:04:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's back with quality Cormyr-lore in the aptly named article:- The Sly Blade.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2013 :  03:19:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed explores empire with today's "Forging the Realms" article:- The Dream of Empire.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2013 :  15:00:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed explores empire with today's "Forging the Realms" article:- The Dream of Empire.

I resent Ed making fun of The Most Dread Overlord of Muddy Middens. The two weeks that he ruled were by far the most fun I've ever had. His proclamation that all women had to comply with any sexual desire of the male population may have led to his demise, but it was the most insightful law I've ever heard of.

From the Article

Many adventurers have conquered a few woodlots and adjacent cow pastures in the Border Kingdoms and proclaimed themselves such things as "Lord High Emperor of the Eternal Realm of Twostumps," or "The Most Dread Overlord of Muddy Middens," a practice that highlights the ridiculous nature of overblown titles.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2013 :  16:45:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am curious about how Storm Silverhand sang about something in 412DR when she was born in 764DR... I'm assuming that was a typo.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  00:36:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure it isn't a typo. Read "Sailors on the Sea of Air" in Dragon #124 and 'The Workbook' in Pages From the Mages and see if you can work it out.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  01:28:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm pretty sure it isn't a typo. Read "Sailors on the Sea of Air" in Dragon #124 and 'The Workbook' in Pages From the Mages and see if you can work it out.

-- George Krashos

Are you referring to "The Wizard's Workbook"? I just read that one, and nothing suggested itself as a way to explain this one... I'll have to check Dragon 124 when I get home, and also rectify the fact that I don't have a copy of it at work.

Edit: Okay, I do have those files at work; I wasn't looking at the right place on my thumb drive... And while it does mention an infant Storm being carried from doomed Myth Drannor, that's also a bit of timing that doesn't match the date of birth given in The Seven Sisters

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Aug 2013 02:02:04
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  17:53:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or the fact that The Wizard's Workbook contains the spell "Laeral's Dancing Dweomer". So what's the answer Wooly?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  19:28:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That the girls were 'hidden' in time.

They 'grew up' before they were even born.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Aug 2013 19:29:22
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2013 :  04:02:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At various times in their lives, the Seven Sisters have spent time in the past using Time Conduits for both their safety and to advance their progress in the Art. Myth Drannor has been the focus for this due to the presence of various elder Chosen of the goddess.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2013 :  05:55:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, interesting. I guess that's one of the deep secrets that no one had caught before... Thanks, friend Krash!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000