Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Gypsy-like people/culture?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  18:07:12  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there a region or people in the Realms that have a gypsy-like culture? Was it the Gurs? Much appreciated for any info!

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  19:26:20  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rashemen send out their youth on a wanderlust type ordeal...

My idea for a "gypsy" type people in Faerun would that perhaps there isn't a culture that was misplaced and travels about similar to the gypsy-type.

I've used groups of elves for a similar situation though.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  19:43:09  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Officially, the Gurs, yes.

Said to be refugees from the Raumathar-Narfell war and probably related, linguistically if not otherwise, to the Taangan tribe of a similar name.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  20:24:40  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

Officially, the Gurs, yes.

Said to be refugees from the Raumathar-Narfell war and probably related, linguistically if not otherwise, to the Taangan tribe of a similar name.

Cool, I had a feeling but wasn't sure. So little was written on them but from
what I learned, they have a culture similar to gypsies.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  03:53:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much. They're the Roma/gypsies of the Realms, as I recall Tom Costa once suggesting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  08:56:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actual refer to the entire proto-culture as Raumvari, which was used in The Horde article that appeared toward the end of 3e in Dragon magazine. It works better, because 'Raumathari' was the old term, and it can get confused with the people of the nation of Raumathar.

Thus, Rashemi, Raumathari, Sossalites, Gur, and probably a couple more I forgot, are all sub-groups of the Raumvari people, who are reminiscent of the Earth Slavic peoples. A sizable portion of that cultural group are wagon-using 'nomads'. Considering the migratory behavior of the other groups in the Taan region, I would say many of them originate around the Lake of Mists area (but can be found most anywhere in the Realms)

In the novel Darkvision, Ususi was able to purchase a wagon that was described to be just like a gypsy wagon, which she was able to get in Rashemen (where such 'mobile home' type wagons are readily available).

I also just came across the word 'gypsy' in an FR novel this past week, but darned if I can remember where. I can't recall the context it was used in, but I'm thinking it was in either Crypt of the Shadowking or Elfsong. Even if the word was used as a description ("like a gypsy"), it was used in-setting, and therefor the concept itself must exist (and thus, we have gypsies... somewhere).

EDIT: IMG, I just port-in the Vistani from Ravenloft. The whole she-bang, made to order. Its the simplest solution.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Sep 2012 09:03:41
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  12:12:35  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or the Varisians from Pathfinder
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  12:52:31  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vistani can travel to Realmspace from Ravenloft and have made an appearance. Kevrick, detailed somewhat in the Airspur article I wrote, was a wandering Vistani elder that now resides within the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  14:26:59  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But there's no need since we have the Gurs, I prefer to use what is in the Realms first before porting.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  15:03:07  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Valantra.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  16:39:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Vistani can travel to Realmspace from Ravenloft and have made an appearance. Kevrick, detailed somewhat in the Airspur article I wrote, was a wandering Vistani elder that now resides within the Realms.

Speaking of...

Some years back, just after the release of your "Airspur" article, you said that it served as an introduction of sorts for Kevrick, and that there would be much more to tell, especially about Vistani in the Realms.

Any chance you can share those tidbits here, or will they possibly be included in a future DDI article?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  02:38:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

But there's no need since we have the Gurs, I prefer to use what is in the Realms first before porting.
Everyone in Ravenloft came from somewhere else originally.

Who's to say the Visatani weren't Raumvari (Gur)?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  03:24:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Who's to say the Visatani weren't Raumvari (Gur)?

Van Richten's Guide to the Vistani says that the Vistani "have been severed from their roots for some crime committed against the gods or some other superior being."

Could this crime possibly involve the cataclysmic battle between Raumathar and Narfell that was hinted as the reason for the Gur "fleeing" their homeworld in their write-up from Races of Faerūn?

Perhaps the fallout from that conflict saw groups of Gur exiled/lost to the Mists? [Maybe the Mists were drawn to that tragic cataclysm and sought to take away some of those responsible? In other words, these proto-Gur may have been involved.]

VRGttV also says that "Almost as important is the corollary idea which postulates that those who exiled the Vistani were flawed themselves, if not evil altogether." Perhaps, as a result of their exiling, Savras ferried them away to a pocket dimension [where they, unfortunately, eventually found their way to the Dread Domains], in an effort to protect them from being infected by the rampant evil of the Raumviran and Narfelli.

So many cool ideas here.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2012 :  05:47:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When they cast their final magic, they not only destroyed their enemies, they turned their enemies own fiendish servants against them.

I find certain similarities between the Crown Wars and the Narfell/Raumathar War. Narfell was a wholly evil culture, bent on conquest, using and controlling fiends. Raumathar started out as a druidic-type culture, but the evil of their enemies made them respond in kind. Eventually. In their moment of victory, the suffered their greatest loss - that of their souls.

What many folk of Faerūn took to be endless clouds of smoke rising from the 'great conflagration', was actually the Mists of Dread coming to claim their own.

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Sep 2012 05:48:24
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  13:25:34  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Therin in the Nobles novel King Pinch is a swarthy gypsy-gur. Wears a scarf that conceals a scar from the hangman's noose, and a blackjack.

quote:

Thus, Rashemi, Raumathari, Sossalites, Gur, and probably a couple more I forgot, are all sub-groups of the Raumvari people, who are reminiscent of the Earth Slavic peoples. A sizable portion of that cultural group are wagon-using 'nomads'. In the novel Darkvision, Ususi was able to purchase a wagon that was described to be just like a gypsy wagon, which she was able to get in Rashemen (where such 'mobile home' type wagons are readily available).

I also just came across the word 'gypsy' in an FR novel this past week, but darned if I can remember where. I can't recall the context it was used in, but I'm thinking it was in either Crypt of the Shadowking or Elfsong. Even if the word was used as a description ("like a gypsy"), it was used in-setting, and therefor the concept itself must exist (and thus, we have gypsies... somewhere).

Gypsies aren't Slavic. Americans ...

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  15:52:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gypsies aren't slavic? What then?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  15:56:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Europeans'. {shakes head}

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  15:59:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Romani (or "Gypsies") may have come from India originally; but their constant interaction with the Slavic people of Eastern and Central Europe is what confuses a lot of people I guess.

The modern Romani have LOTS of slavic genes.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  21:20:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Narfell was a wholly evil culture, bent on conquest, using and controlling fiends.

Nah, the Narfellians were just misunderstood people who learned that they could make bad creatures do things for them. Yeah, occasionally they had sex with those bad creatures and gave birth to demon spawn. Yeah, maybe sometimes they would offer the still-beating hearts of other beings to these creatures... but then those other beings WERE just meat and all. Sheesh.... you make it like summoning demons is a bad thing or something

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2012 :  19:02:46  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Speaking of...

Some years back, just after the release of your "Airspur" article, you said that it served as an introduction of sorts for Kevrick, and that there would be much more to tell, especially about Vistani in the Realms.

Any chance you can share those tidbits here, or will they possibly be included in a future DDI article?

Those projects fell through. I hope to follow up with more great stories about Kevrick and his exploits. And yes, he is a wandering gypsy of the Realms.

There is some very fun stuff that is under NDA regarding Kevrick that has already been unofficially approved by Ed. I can't wait to jump on it.
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2015 :  23:54:09  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Valantra.

What about them aside wizards and rogue of the realms?
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  00:25:41  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan to have a significant amount of fan-fic completed on the topic. Bumping this thread was a great reminder.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2015 :  03:46:47  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I plan to have a significant amount of fan-fic completed on the topic. Bumping this thread was a great reminder.

Looking forward to it, Matt.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000