Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Godless Elminster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  21:19:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious about that as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  05:23:10  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was actually somebody on here that mentioned it to me. It's from War in Tethyr, and I've typed out the small section below.

Shield of Innocence took the bloodstained amulet from about his neck and laid it on Stillhawk's unmoving breast. "O Torm," he prayed, "O True and Brave, please listen! Your dog begs you, do not let this soul slip out of the world. No one is truer and braver than he, and we have-" He coughed up blood. "We have not enough hands to fight the evil that waits below. I know... I have not served you long enough to earn the power to bring him back. And I won't ever, for this day I die, Lord. But please... please give him back his life, for his sake, for those poor brave women down there, for this whole world." Tears streamed down his cheeks. "Good Torm, I beg you!"

A shimmer in the stinking air before him. A tiny point of radiance, intolerably bright, expanding to a miniature sun. The brilliance dazzled his light-sensitive eyes, threatened to burn them out, yet it filled his soul with warmth and peace such as he had never known.

Shield of Innocence, a voice said in his mind, who well have justified your name. You alone of mortals on this world have I addressed through all the ages, and you alone shall I so address. Torm hears you, and through Him, I hear. My name has been taken in vain. You have chosen to redress this evil, knowing what the cost would be. So be it: your wish is granted.

The light flared, expanded, enveloped Shield so that it seemed he would be consumed by it, as by the heart of a sun. Then it went out. The ranger opened his eyes.

"O Torm!" the orog wept. "O Ao All-Father, I thank you!"

So yeah. Ao stepped in to answer a prayer and speak to a mortal.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Alefian
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2015 :  19:35:04  Show Profile Send Alefian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I have no doubts that Elminster's history has grown just at the campaign world has. I'm betting his original history had nothing to do with him being a prince, etc... It'd be just like if someone had asked me if Sleyvas had always been written up with a history of having been on the earth around the civil war (in the Mask of the Red Death world). I'd honestly have to say that no he wasn't, it came out of interacting with another gamer who had an NPC he created named Alefian, and mutually we had agreed that his character was the long lost son (as in my character knew nothing of him) of my character. I can say though that Sleyvas did originally start out in Raveloft as an NPC red wizard, and he did have pistols from the start (based on the FR rules for firearms of that time.... it was only after he returned to Toril from the MotRD campaign that he actually had six shooters). Did I always have him as an anti-hero because his wife was killed by a paladin? yes. Did I always have his wife named and have a history that he'd confessed before an altar of Shar the sin that when she was murdered he was off with another woman? No. Stuff happens as character's build.

The one thing I'll say is that I'll never run a campaign strictly about what was in the OGB... it was too vague. Now, I COULD base a campaign strictly off what was done in 2nd edition. I could base a campaign off the changes in 3rd edition. I wouldn't want to base one off what was done in 4th edition, BUT I could pass up that time and base one on a new realms... if the story elements and realmslore are there. I could even run a "time" campaign with players traversing between the 2e, 3e, and possibly 5e timelines (using the general time rules as presented in 2e chronomancer product, given that in it, time will fight to correct itself).

Hmm, looking at the above and thinking about the rules in chronomancer... during the spellplague we're looking at the intersection of two planes. In chronomancer each plane had its own timeline... so it would be interesting that someone following the timeline from 5E to 3E/2E might actually find themselves at the right time but in the wrong world. Not looking to bring up any arguments about a reset, etc... just found the idea of this particular aspect of time travel fascinating.

Agreed. I can't tell you how many times I've tweaked backstory throughout the past few decades for the Malnagrane and Thelanthra family. I'm sure Ed's version of Elminster may even differ significantly than current published works on the Sage of Shadowdale. I typically made backstory tweaks for my characters for a few reasons.

1) I considered their original stories to be subpar, or not quite where I wanted them. And frankly, the stories needed to be more interesting or better written. Some of my earlier writing was not the best, especially when I look back to 1997 when I started posting them on the internet. My character backgrounds are slowly getting better over time. At least I like telling myself this...:)

2) Newer editions of the D&D game influenced me creatively, and I wanted to incorporate them. A lot of Bruce Cordell's work was a huge influence on some of my character back stories. I'm especially fond of his work on the Far Realm

3) I'm with Sleyvas here where the only impact 4th edition had for me was that I quit playing entirely. I've recently started playing again in 5th edition, and I'm looking forward to new Realms lore as it starts trickling in for the new edition

4) Interacting with other gamers, such as Sleyvas, and other players in my immediate campaign has tremendously helped shape my characters' stories and destinies. That level of creative collaboration is priceless to me, and I'm eternally grateful that I've had the pleasure of sharing this creative experience with Sleyvas for over 18 years (off and on).

- Alefian

Edited by - Alefian on 28 Sep 2015 19:37:36
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11704 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2015 :  13:54:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alefian

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I have no doubts that Elminster's history has grown just at the campaign world has. I'm betting his original history had nothing to do with him being a prince, etc... It'd be just like if someone had asked me if Sleyvas had always been written up with a history of having been on the earth around the civil war (in the Mask of the Red Death world). I'd honestly have to say that no he wasn't, it came out of interacting with another gamer who had an NPC he created named Alefian, and mutually we had agreed that his character was the long lost son (as in my character knew nothing of him) of my character. I can say though that Sleyvas did originally start out in Raveloft as an NPC red wizard, and he did have pistols from the start (based on the FR rules for firearms of that time.... it was only after he returned to Toril from the MotRD campaign that he actually had six shooters). Did I always have him as an anti-hero because his wife was killed by a paladin? yes. Did I always have his wife named and have a history that he'd confessed before an altar of Shar the sin that when she was murdered he was off with another woman? No. Stuff happens as character's build.

The one thing I'll say is that I'll never run a campaign strictly about what was in the OGB... it was too vague. Now, I COULD base a campaign strictly off what was done in 2nd edition. I could base a campaign off the changes in 3rd edition. I wouldn't want to base one off what was done in 4th edition, BUT I could pass up that time and base one on a new realms... if the story elements and realmslore are there. I could even run a "time" campaign with players traversing between the 2e, 3e, and possibly 5e timelines (using the general time rules as presented in 2e chronomancer product, given that in it, time will fight to correct itself).

Hmm, looking at the above and thinking about the rules in chronomancer... during the spellplague we're looking at the intersection of two planes. In chronomancer each plane had its own timeline... so it would be interesting that someone following the timeline from 5E to 3E/2E might actually find themselves at the right time but in the wrong world. Not looking to bring up any arguments about a reset, etc... just found the idea of this particular aspect of time travel fascinating.

Agreed. I can't tell you how many times I've tweaked backstory throughout the past few decades for the Malnagrane and Thelanthra family. I'm sure Ed's version of Elminster may even differ significantly than current published works on the Sage of Shadowdale. I typically made backstory tweaks for my characters for a few reasons.

1) I considered their original stories to be subpar, or not quite where I wanted them. And frankly, the stories needed to be more interesting or better written. Some of my earlier writing was not the best, especially when I look back to 1997 when I started posting them on the internet. My character backgrounds are slowly getting better over time. At least I like telling myself this...:)

2) Newer editions of the D&D game influenced me creatively, and I wanted to incorporate them. A lot of Bruce Cordell's work was a huge influence on some of my character back stories. I'm especially fond of his work on the Far Realm

3) I'm with Sleyvas here where the only impact 4th edition had for me was that I quit playing entirely. I've recently started playing again in 5th edition, and I'm looking forward to new Realms lore as it starts trickling in for the new edition

4) Interacting with other gamers, such as Sleyvas, and other players in my immediate campaign has tremendously helped shape my characters' stories and destinies. That level of creative collaboration is priceless to me, and I'm eternally grateful that I've had the pleasure of sharing this creative experience with Sleyvas for over 18 years (off and on).

- Alefian

Alefian,

Son, good to see ye here lad. I think you'll find a lot of folks here with the same fire for the realms that we've held over time.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2015 :  17:13:10  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster and apotheosis

Maybe he has no patron because he's attempting to become a god in his own right?
He fears that Mystra will try to prevent this, unless he agrees to become her minion.
But he is CG and Mystra is LN, so there is a significant alignment clash between the two of them.

This version of Elminster spends most of his time and effort seeking godhood. That is why he is not more active in worldly affairs.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2015 :  04:20:04  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Dark

Going by just the OGB, I would have Elminster as more of an unreliable narrator than an objective one. Interestingly enough, I have considered basing the next phase of my campaign out of the Greybox and first few supplements and leave everything else out.

That sounds good to me.

I know I am not the first person to suggest it, but I like the idea that Elminster lied about how powerful he was. Level 26+?
Naw, son, try 13. Heck, maybe even as low as level 6 or 7.

And his other level estimates for people are just that, estimates. Guesswork.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000