Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Reccomendations
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buzzcutter
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  04:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Buzzcutter's Homepage Send Buzzcutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was hoping I could get some recommendations for new reading. I like reading about racially diverse groups/companions with strong priest/cleric characters. I've read the cleric quintet, and some of the priest series. Was wondering if the haunted lands trilogy is worthy. Doesnt even have to be a FR novel, any setting will be appreciated. Thanks!

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  04:48:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well. You could hunt up the old priest series.

Lady of Poison

Mistress of the Night

Maiden of Pain

Queen of the Depths

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  06:52:49  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haunted Lands is good, though I don't know how racially diverse it is.

The Year of Rogue Dragons has a strong cleric and is fairly diverse.

Starlight and Shadows is a drow and a human, one of them a cleric, who is sought by competing deities.

Twilight War has very strong priests, but is not so diverse.

War of the Spider Queen and Lady Penitent are all drow but have a lot of strong priestesses. In WotSQ, the clerics do a lot of fighting, without being able to cast memorized spells.

Hmm, it seems most of the noteworthy priests in the realms are drow.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  11:06:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Brotherhood of the Griffon series has some strong, notable priests, too. One of the main protagonists is a priest of Kossuth, and another one, of Amaunator.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Buzzcutter
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  12:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Buzzcutter's Homepage Send Buzzcutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanx, much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Clad In Shadows
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  19:43:10  Show Profile Send Clad In Shadows a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not Realms, but check out The Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman. Technically, it's sci-fi, as it takes place in the future on another planet, but it's essentially fantasy.

It contains a priest as well as the founder of said church who has made a pact with demons(?) and has fallen from grace. Sort of a fallen priest/paladin type character.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  20:20:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Agreed. There are many elements in that series which are essentially D&D.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  20:30:58  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Erevis Cale trilogy boasts a main cast of:
A Halfling Thief/Rogue/Priest of Brandobaris
A Human Chosen of Mask who is a combination Rogue/Priest and becomes a shade.
Another Human chosen of mask Assasin who over the course of the trilogy becomes a Divine Champion(Kind of a Dark Paladin)
A Tiefling Psioniscist/Ranger who passes for human.

The antagonists consist of a Human Shadow adept and 4 Slaadi(Who wear various forms, most notably the half Drow Azrrim) and a 10000+ year Old Githvyrik (Who is a god awfully epic powerful wizard/Psioniscist)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2012 :  14:46:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's a priestess of Mystra named Anorrweyn Evensong in Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor by Carrie Bebris. She's not a part of the adventuring party, but she played an important role in their mission.

The Empyrean Odyssey by Thomas Reid also features some priests. [Just don't ask me what I think about that series, or rather, about the second book, The Fractured Sky.]

Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  18:07:26  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm never sure if I ought to be banging on about my own books. But Brimstone Angels features a party of two humans, two tieflings, and a dragonborn--including a priest of Selune and an wayward acolyte of Torm (and various devils and things in the periphery). The priest(s) are also important characters in the sequel, Lesser Evils (which is out in December).

Realms of the Dead also had a fair number of stories featuring priests. I especially liked Jaleigh Johnson's story, The Bone Bird, which has a priest of Chauntea as a main character. (Plus, there's a short story that ties into The Haunted Lands by RLB)

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2012 :  20:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll gladly pimp Erin's work. It's good stuff.

I'm not sure if it's what you're after, but my Shadowbane series (the third of which is coming out in a week or so) is all about faith, particularly that of the dead god Helm. My hero is basically Helm's last/only paladin.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000