Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Was Kiaransalee's name erased from the tablets
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  02:20:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a literal event as far as the gods were concerned, but I felt it was meant to REFLECT what the mortals were doing in the Realms, not to DETERMINE what they did. In other words, the mortals were driving the game, not the gods. They were merely playing the game that their followers created with their actions, rather than driving those followers' actions with their moves.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  05:06:04  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Especially considering the pieces got away from them sometimes, and the two goddesses were surprised by the moves of their followers.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  07:41:26  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

It was a literal event as far as the gods were concerned, but I felt it was meant to REFLECT what the mortals were doing in the Realms, not to DETERMINE what they did. In other words, the mortals were driving the game, not the gods. They were merely playing the game that their followers created with their actions, rather than driving those followers' actions with their moves.

I disagree here. IMHO it was clear that the mortals were the unwitting pawns and their actions were determined by deities moving their game pieces. E.g. Kia was surprised when Lolth moved one of her pieces to take her our instead of moving it against Elli.

Otherwise that would violate the "no mortal can slay a deity without divine backing rule".

Also why high magic can be pretty drastic, the really powerful effects require huge effort. Not some high mages coming together without any preparing and just whipping out a deity-slaying spell on the fly.

E.g. there was the immensely powerful high magic the elves one used to bind, not slay, Moander. It was a long and complicated ritual that required special components (among them they had to subdue an avatar or Moander and use it during the ritual), a lot of rare and components and the sacrifice of the life of the high mages. Seems rather unnecessary if they could just easily used their deity-slaying ritual and be done with it.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  10:41:44  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Realms, Kiaransalee was still only a demipower after slaying Orcus. It was not until Lolth went into hibernation that there was sufficient worship for the Revenancer to ascend to lesser power status.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  12:36:36  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't Kiaransalee wax and wane in power alot? Her ascension by absorbing all life on Threnody must have made her quite powerful, even for a god. I thought I read her power in Fearun is lacking because of her interest for her clergy in the Underdark is nigh on absent.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2013 :  18:44:42  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

In the Realms, Kiaransalee was still only a demipower after slaying Orcus. It was not until Lolth went into hibernation that there was sufficient worship for the Revenancer to ascend to lesser power status.

And that was the point when she was slain. The latest realmsource about her, that web enhancement to some of the war of the spider queen adventures, had her as a lesser power.

Anyway, even a demipower would take some time to starve if you cut her from all followers, not vanish in an instant.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2013 :  15:26:25  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I assumed she became a demipower again once Lolth returned.

Her realms aspect disappearing does not mean she died. I do not think she has a corpse floating in the astral plane and she still exists in other worlds. That is what I get from the description of multi-spheric deities in Faiths and Pantheons.In the realms it seemed like she only had one major center of worship so it would be less difficult for magic to erase her from peoples' memories in the realms, especially if the spell was aided by other deities in some way. Ao was watching the Sava game thing so presumably he consented to it being a fight to the death, perhaps he bent the rules for their grudge match that would not match how things normally work. Kiaransalee is described as being short sighted in Dead Gods. It seems like she is self destructively careless and impulsive so she probably isn't as prepared for things like this as other Gods would be.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2013 :  02:16:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I disagree here. IMHO it was clear that the mortals were the unwitting pawns and their actions were determined by deities moving their game pieces. E.g. Kia was surprised when Lolth moved one of her pieces to take her our instead of moving it against Elli.

Otherwise that would violate the "no mortal can slay a deity without divine backing rule".

Also why high magic can be pretty drastic, the really powerful effects require huge effort. Not some high mages coming together without any preparing and just whipping out a deity-slaying spell on the fly.

E.g. there was the immensely powerful high magic the elves one used to bind, not slay, Moander. It was a long and complicated ritual that required special components (among them they had to subdue an avatar or Moander and use it during the ritual), a lot of rare and components and the sacrifice of the life of the high mages. Seems rather unnecessary if they could just easily used their deity-slaying ritual and be done with it.

And yet, as CD pointed out, there were several times where the mortal "pawns" made moves that their "controllers" never expected, thus changing the nature of the game itself. Those were FREE-WILLED followers, not mere automatons that the goddesses were using for their pieces. They might have been able to guide their actions indirectly, but certainly not force them. Thus, I believe the "pieces" were actually in control of the game, with the goddesses merely playing out their actions after the fact. The game was being played on two levels here, not just the game the deities were playing.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000