Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 FR or DL reading order. Does one exist?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bfollowell
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  15:54:22  Show Profile Send bfollowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This may've been asked before and, if so, I apologize. Please bear with me.

I read a lot of Star Trek and Star Wars novels and, since I'm getting ready to start reading Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance novels again after many, many years, I'm wondering how closely the books tie together, if at all. Star Wars has their expanded universe with a certain reading order depending on which era you're reading through. TrekLit also has a large, convoluted reading order that bounces back and forth across the various, inter-related series. I was wondering if there was something similar in WotC novels.

I realize the most of the Drizzt novels are all tied together and are meant to be read in order. The same naturally goes for any trilogies or series. But, do any of these tie into any sort of overall storyline or are they pretty much stand-alone?

Thanks for any info.

- Byron Followell

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  16:05:52  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opinion is the realms is fairly uniqur in that you can jumo in anywhere. With any of the stand alone novels or starting out any series.

There is no "right" way to read them, but you will get alot of opinions where to start. They are all conected in that they share the same "world".

They are all connected in that they share the same "world' but I can reacall of none the require the reading of any others to enjoy(outside of obvious reading order with in a triolgy( Many series that contain multiple trilogies can bed joined at ant of the first books of their parts.

The ever popular Ervevis Cale novels Have at least 3 valid starting points if not more!

I was luckiy enough to start back in the day with Darkwalker on Moonshae, the first Realms novel and have basicly read them in publication order, so I have jumped through several differing series at the same time and found it enjoyable. While I have talked with people who have read them in order of the year in the realms the novel is set, not reading trilogies and series until the "last" book in it is available and that worked great for them too.

My best advice would be to tell us a bit about what you liked in the realms or why you have decided to re-visit them and we can suggest books that fit where your at now.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Aug 2012 19:25:10
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  16:17:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And check out this website its has reading list by publication date, sample chapters, realms timeline pointing out novel placement, etc.:

http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_books_date.html

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  16:34:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

My best advice would be to tell us a bit about what you liked in the realms or why you have decided to re-visit them and we can suggest boks that fit where your at now.

Agreed.

Bfollowell, you'll find a lot of helpful recommendations from this thread.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  16:37:23  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

And check out this website its has reading list by publication date, sample chapters, realms timeline pointing out novel placement, etc.:

http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_books_date.html

+1, great site

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  16:43:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each series is pretty much standalone, though there may be the occasional reference to something that happened in another series -- mostly with the major events, like the Time of Troubles.

I don't know if there's a reading order for the Dragonlance books, or not. I'd imagine there is, but since this is an FR forum, we may not be able to produce that information as readily as we can with FR. For me, the reading order of DL books begins and ends with Weis & Hickman.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  17:43:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might help with Dragonlance:

http://www.dlnexus.com/products/reading.aspx

Go to Top of Page

bfollowell
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  19:00:32  Show Profile Send bfollowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. All the info and the links are most helpful. I really appreciate all of your advice.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  01:58:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't know if there's a reading order for the Dragonlance books, or not. I'd imagine there is, but since this is an FR forum, we may not be able to produce that information as readily as we can with FR. For me, the reading order of DL books begins and ends with Weis & Hickman.
The Weis and Hickman novels remain the core reading of the DRAGONLANCE Saga. But at the same time, the site Red Walker references above, provides suitable instruction for readers interested in supplementing the reading of the core novels with the other trilogies and series that comprise the entire publishing backlog of novels for DL.

I can provide you with a basic listing, bfollowell, if you so wish, which I've composed from my own reading over the last 25+ years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000