Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Rise of the Blade (Hapers #17) unpublished novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2014 :  13:16:42  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The Harpers series contains the following books. I've tried to include the links to other series:

1) Parched Sea (self-contained; one character reappears in #12)
2) Elfshadow (start of Arilyn and Danilo books, followed by #8, #13)
3) Red Magic (completely self-contained)
4) Night Parade (completely self-contained)
5) Ring of Winter (completely self-contained)
6) Crypt of the Shadowking (followed by #11)
7) Soldiers of Ice (completely self-contained)
8) Elfsong (sequel to #2)
9) Crown of Fire (sequel to non-Harper novel Spellfire)
10) Masquerade (sequel to Finder's Stone/Alias trilogy)
11) Curse of the Shadowking (sequel to #6)
12) The Veiled Dragon (sequel, more or less, to Parched Sea, though it takes place in a completely different place)
13) Silver Shadows (sequel to Elfshadow and Elfsong; takes place concurrently with Elfsong)
14) Stormlight (completely self-contained)
15) Finder's Bane (sequel, of a sorts, to Finder's Stone/Alias trilogy but with different characters than Masquerade. Followed by non-Harpers novel Tymora's Luck)
16) Thornhold (essentially self-contained, though some characters from the Elfshadow series make appearences)

Overall, the series was one of the better ones from 2e, and there are a number of books in it that I continue to return to (9,10,14,15, all of the Elaine Cunningham books). There are also a few that I haven't read since (1, 7, 11) and a couple I'm indifferent on. Hope all this helps

Thanks for sharing this list. Alas I have yet to start on the Harper series but that is only because the series is not available in my country. Hopefully that will change soon.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2014 :  20:55:44  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my quick review of the Harper books I've read:

1) Parched Sea - quite a good read actually, great sense of atmosphere in the desert.
2) Elfshadow - classic, probably best in the list.
3) Red Magic - good read especially if you like Thay.
4) Night Parade - can't comment, I've not read it yet but I hear it is very dark and not Realmslike.
5) Ring of Winter - wonderful book. Good characters and fun jungle adventure.
6) Crypt of the Shadowking - I enjoyed this one too.
7) Soldiers of Ice - haven't read yet.
8) Elfsong - Elaine is a great writer and her second book is nearly as good as the first, I just missed Arilyn.
9) Crown of Fire - my favorite of Ed's novels. Mirt is great fun here.
10) Masquerade - imho the weakest of Grubb/Novak's Realms novels, and I love their writing, but I think its their weakest.
11) Curse of the Shadowking - haven't read yet.
12) The Veiled Dragon - this is a terrible book, I'm sad to say. And I loved Parched Sea and Ruha.
13) Silver Shadows - I didn't enjoy this as much as the first 2 Elaine books, it was a bit random to me.
14) Stormlight - a pretty terrible book.
15) Finder's Bane - I enjoyed this. Not as much as the Finder's Stone trilogy but better than Masquerades.
16) Thornhold - haven't read yet.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2014 :  12:39:45  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The Harpers series contains the following books. I've tried to include the links to other series:

1) Parched Sea (self-contained; one character reappears in #12)
2) Elfshadow (start of Arilyn and Danilo books, followed by #8, #13)
3) Red Magic (completely self-contained)
4) Night Parade (completely self-contained)
5) Ring of Winter (completely self-contained)
6) Crypt of the Shadowking (followed by #11)
7) Soldiers of Ice (completely self-contained)
8) Elfsong (sequel to #2)
9) Crown of Fire (sequel to non-Harper novel Spellfire)
10) Masquerade (sequel to Finder's Stone/Alias trilogy)
11) Curse of the Shadowking (sequel to #6)
12) The Veiled Dragon (sequel, more or less, to Parched Sea, though it takes place in a completely different place)
13) Silver Shadows (sequel to Elfshadow and Elfsong; takes place concurrently with Elfsong)
14) Stormlight (completely self-contained)
15) Finder's Bane (sequel, of a sorts, to Finder's Stone/Alias trilogy but with different characters than Masquerade. Followed by non-Harpers novel Tymora's Luck)
16) Thornhold (essentially self-contained, though some characters from the Elfshadow series make appearences)

Overall, the series was one of the better ones from 2e, and there are a number of books in it that I continue to return to (9,10,14,15, all of the Elaine Cunningham books). There are also a few that I haven't read since (1, 7, 11) and a couple I'm indifferent on. Hope all this helps

Thanks for sharing this list. Alas I have yet to start on the Harper series but that is only because the series is not available in my country. Hopefully that will change soon.

International Order via ebay or anywhere ?

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2014 :  12:46:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Here's my quick review of the Harper books I've read:

1) Parched Sea - quite a good read actually, great sense of atmosphere in the desert.
2) Elfshadow - classic, probably best in the list.
3) Red Magic - good read especially if you like Thay.
4) Night Parade - can't comment, I've not read it yet but I hear it is very dark and not Realmslike.
5) Ring of Winter - wonderful book. Good characters and fun jungle adventure.
6) Crypt of the Shadowking - I enjoyed this one too.
7) Soldiers of Ice - haven't read yet.
8) Elfsong - Elaine is a great writer and her second book is nearly as good as the first, I just missed Arilyn.
9) Crown of Fire - my favorite of Ed's novels. Mirt is great fun here.
10) Masquerade - imho the weakest of Grubb/Novak's Realms novels, and I love their writing, but I think its their weakest.
11) Curse of the Shadowking - haven't read yet.
12) The Veiled Dragon - this is a terrible book, I'm sad to say. And I loved Parched Sea and Ruha.
13) Silver Shadows - I didn't enjoy this as much as the first 2 Elaine books, it was a bit random to me.
14) Stormlight - a pretty terrible book.
15) Finder's Bane - I enjoyed this. Not as much as the Finder's Stone trilogy but better than Masquerades.
16) Thornhold - haven't read yet.

I really disliked Soldiers of Ice and the Shadowking books, myself. Most of the others were more or less enjoyable, with Elaine's books and the Novak and Grubb ones being the standouts of the series.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000