Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Pleasure to meet you guys.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auragongal
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  21:07:13  Show Profile Send Auragongal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My name is Auragongal, call me Aura if you want, I don't mind. I am new here, as you can see, and most of my gaming experience has come from Neverwinter Nights for the PC. I'll admit, I never read any of the novels, or looked through the source books for the setting, so my knowledge of the setting is most likely very limited compared to other members here.

My favorite classes are druids and rogues, my favorite races are elves and drow, I like to draw, think up stories, and have made up a handful of characters while playing NWN. An elven paladin of Corellon, the paladin's daughter who is a cleric of Mystras, 3 male drow who are brothers, the eldest being a wizard, the middle brother a fighter and the youngest a rogue who married the cleric, the cleric's half drow, blue skinned daughter who became a druid with a dire wolf as her partner, a halfling bard, and I think I'll move on from the examples now before I ramble about them here instead of in another section of this forum.

Anyway, I also like to draw, and I consider myself a decent artist. I also like to write stories, and I'm wondering which part of the forum is the best place to put them. Of course, in the past, when I posted a story on a forum, it didn't get much attention, so I won't guarantee if they'll be good or not, but, it wouldn't hurt to try anyway, right?

I hope I don't seem like a troll or an idiot to you guys, and that I get to have a fun time here!

The clouds have many stories to tell if you look at them close enough, some you already know, but some have yet to be written.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  21:12:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  21:20:23  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met and welcome to Candlekeep!
You will learn much from the lorekeepers here - they are vaults of indispensable knowledge. Many of the novel authors and game designers are active members on the forum as well.
~ From an occasional poster and fulltime lurker.

Edit: Was ninja-posted. Thought I was the first. =)

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106

Edited by - LastStand on 12 Aug 2012 21:26:21
Go to Top of Page

Auragongal
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  21:29:16  Show Profile Send Auragongal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I actually learned about this place while looking through the Forgotten Realms Wiki, so I know that the writers and designers behind the setting visit here.
I would really like to know where the best place to put my story ideas would be, mainly because I want to share them with other fans of FR, and get their thoughts on them. Even if the possibility of one of the novel authors and game designers looking at them and commenting is enough to make me nervous, but, like I said before, won't know until I try, right?

The clouds have many stories to tell if you look at them close enough, some you already know, but some have yet to be written.
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  21:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Welcome to Candlekeep!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!

Lol. Good old Space Hamster...you have had the same greeting for at least 5 years. and every time it makes me smile :)

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Auragongal
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  22:21:14  Show Profile Send Auragongal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
erm, hi Aravine.

So, about my question about where I can put my story ideas up? I'd really like to know that.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  22:35:52  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome! I still enjoy NWN myself, and I dabble in writing. You have me beat on the drawing though; I'm lucky to manage a decent stick-figure.

Regarding your stories... I'm still discovering new things on the site, so others are in a better position to address this than I am. There doesn't seem to be a section of the forum specifically for fiction, but the Adventuring section could do.

It's presumptuous to assume that anyone wants to hear advice, but writers are by definition presumptuous. If we weren't, we could never write because we'd have assumed that someone else's stories would always be better. So one bit of unasked-for advice I can offer, mostly cobbled together from others, is: if you don't get a lot of praise, either on your stories or anything else, never take it personally.

Never assume that lack of feedback from others means that there's anything lacking in your writing. That's giving silence too much power, and making it too ominous. Some folks will read your work, some won't, some will love it, some won't, some will offer constructive criticism, some won't. By sharing your writing, you're giving people the opportunity to see things through your eyes; not all will take it, and not all will understand your vision. Many who read your work will probably need a moment (an undefined period of time) to digest it. They may or may not ever get around to telling you in specifically directed words, but you will have affected them nonetheless.

Therein lies the quiet, wondrous power of storytellers... not in their words but in the quiet moments of rumination their visions can inspire in those who are willing to see. So write, and keep writing. By continually doing so, you will become, each day, a better storyteller than you were the day before, even if nobody ever says a word in reply.
Go to Top of Page

Auragongal
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  22:40:11  Show Profile Send Auragongal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Xae, for both answering, and the advice. I just needed to make sure and not accidentally post it in the wrong place, you know?

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  01:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Most sincerest apologies, Auraongal. as one who is returning I Welcome you heartilyto the wonderous place known as Candlekeep! hope to see you around!

Go to Top of Page

Auragongal
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  03:30:10  Show Profile Send Auragongal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's alright, And I'll be sure to check in as often as I can, so far everyone here seems pretty nice.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  04:16:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aravine

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Welcome to Candlekeep!

Lol. Good old Space Hamster...you have had the same greeting for at least 5 years. and every time it makes me smile :)

Longer than that, I think.

It's a good, effective greeting, and it's one of many things I have pre-formatted and ready to copy/paste whenever appropriate. I've been doing that since before my banning from WotC, though I've gone from using a simple text file to a (still simple!) HTML page I always have open.

I do the same thing at work, actually -- I've got roughly 80 or so pre-formatted emails I can use to deal with a variety of requests. Most are along the lines of "to request software, go here. To request access to this, go there," but I've got a lot of other ones there, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  04:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  04:39:01  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Aura- and it seems I've found a kindred spirit! I am one of the resident drow-fan-girls here, and if you have questions on them, other elves, or anything bard-y I'm your go-to girl. Sage is also a fount of information on anything regarding bards and/or music in general. Anywhos, it's okay if your FR experience is limited- we were all like that at one time or another. I'll add that I've been and avid gamer for many years, and have read a number of the novels, so I can recommend a few of the really good ones to you, if you like.

As for stories, I also dabble in writing (okay, it's actually an obsession of mine- see my siggy for proof) and sadly there's no real forum for that here *AHEM! Wooly, Sage, that's your hint!!* However, there is a forum section for role-play story-telling, or adventures, and of course, you can always include links to your work in your siggy.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  15:37:24  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Keep!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2012 :  19:07:15  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met and welcome to the forums!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  02:47:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Howdy, Aura. An artist, ey? I'm always looking for a resident Scribe to doodle (what's in) my noodle. Welcome.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 14 Aug 2012 02:48:43
Go to Top of Page

Auragongal
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  18:26:35  Show Profile Send Auragongal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To Alystra: Thanks! I'm glad to see other drow fans here, heck, in the thread I stared on Adventurers, the drow wizard I mentioned earlier makes an appearance! Okay, so he isn't acting like a normal drow, but, I did kind of made the house he's a member of a bit mad due to openly hating Lolth, eating giant spider legs, having an allergic reaction to Rosemary that results in fever, purple spots on the skin, vomiting, and halved CON for two days, and in general being like crazy, chaotic good filled cockroaches in a drow shaped container thanks to Erevan Illesere being bored and figuring "why not." Yeah... my mind can get pretty weird some days...

To entreri3478 and Jeremy Grenemyer: Thanks for the warm welcome!

To Fellfire: Yeah, I'm not sure if there's anywhere for me to put up my art, but I'd be happy to take requests and show a few examples of my art style in a PM if you're interested.However, due to lack of scanner, I have to take a picture of the completed drawing with my phone, and then upload that to my computer, resize in paint.net, and then upload it to an image hosting site before I can show it to you, and coloring it will most likely be a longer wait.

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  19:58:03  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Aura! Glad to see another Tel'Quessir fan here! If you need any help learning about the Elves' history, culture, etc, I'm sure I could help as well as the wondrous scribes here as well. :)
Go to Top of Page

Auragongal
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  20:39:46  Show Profile Send Auragongal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I'm ashamed to admit I know more about drow than elves, and I'd be happy to learn more, and maybe get the chance to find an online elven to english translator, mainly so I'll know what anything I find in elven means when I play NWN... and so I can implement the language in my writing when I get around to writing a story with an elf in it.

Go to Top of Page

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  23:17:15  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I don't believe I've ever found an FR Elvish translator. I've seen Drowish ones, but no Elvish ones. If you want to create some REALLY cool Elvish names that are FR canon, then you should get The Everchanging Book of Names. It really helps me with creating characters.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2012 :  00:09:30  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have artwork you would like to share, their is fan artwork here at Candlekeep.

You need to most likely contact Alaundo or The Sage, you cam Private message Alaundo from here

http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=8

Or the sage from here

http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=74

You will submit your art and they will post it. You should ask about your stories as well.

And welcome to the ' keep! Feel free to ask anything I'd most anyone....or PM if you don't want it in a scroll.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Auragongal
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2012 :  00:24:30  Show Profile Send Auragongal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Red!I'll keep it in mind.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000