Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Wild Surge Table
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  04:35:06  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There was a recent thread concerning wild magic, and some of the 'Keep's might be interested in this alternative wild surge table I created my home campaign

Wild Surge Table

The following table can be used by DMs to determine the effects of wild surges. The DM should consider this table no more than a source of ideas, and be no way bound by the results of their die roll. The effects suggested below are so situational that a DM will not go far without having to mediate for unforeseen circumstances. References to the spell’s duration refer to the original spell attempted by the caster.

D100 Roll Result

1 All evocation spells used by the caster are considered shadow evocations for the next 1d20 days
2 Caster is affected by noisome and noisy flatulence for the duration of the spell
3 The caster’s fingers transform into fat, writhing worms for 1d3 rounds. The caster cannot grasp anything or cast spells with somatic components for the duration.
4 The caster observes the world in slow motion for the duration of the spell. He gains a +4 initiative bonus and a +1 bonus to attack rolls and AC.
5 The caster’s eyes take on a strange, mournful appearance for the duration of the spell. Anyone meeting his gaze must make a DC20 Will save or be fatigued.
6 The clothes and armour the caster is wearing turn into withered leaves that fall to the ground about him. Magical items are not affected.
7 The spell effect, whatever it may be, lasts for only 1 round.
8 The caster can only speak the truth for the next hour.
9 There is a loud pop, and the caster is knocked prone.
10 All the caster’s hair (both on head and body) falls out immediately.
11 The caster adopts a strong magical aura equivalent to the school of the spell he tried to cast. The aura persists for 3d6 days. During this time, any chargeable magical items carried on the caster’s person automatically recharge at the rate of one charge per day.
12 One of the caster’s legs swells to three times its normal size, his move speed is reduced by 75% and all related skill checks (such as Climb, Swim etc.) suffer a -10 penalty. After a day, the leg returns to its normal size.
13 The caster bursts into tears whenever anyone says his name for the next tenday.
14 The nearest creature to the caster is randomly polymorphed into a tiny animal.
15 Gold pieces appear in the caster’s hands (1d10 go per level of the spell that caused the wild surge).
16 The target of the spell suffers the effects of the spell again at exactly the same time of day for the next 2d6 days.
17 A 20-ft, deep pit appears beneath the caster’s feet.
18 All water within a 60-ft. radius of the caster immediately evaporates.
19 The caster and all his gear turns into a gibbering mouther for 2d8 rounds before returning to his original form.
20 The caster gains darkvision 120-ft. for the duration of the spell.
21 The caster gains the benefits of an arcane sight spell for the next 1d3 days.
22 The caster is involuntarily the subject of gaseous form for the next 2d4 hours.
23 The caster’s voice permanently changes to resemble that of a speaker of the opposite sex.
24 The caster’s skin becomes translucent for the next tenday, revealing his bones and organs within.
25 The caster ages backwards, becoming 1d6 years younger.
26 The caster spontaneously grows a 12 inch moustache (irrespective of gender).
27 The caster is subject to antipathy targeting all sentient creatures for the next hour.
28 A quiet lullaby sung in a child’s voice is constantly heard in the caster’s presence for the next 1d10 days. All Stealth checks suffer a -2 penalty.
29 The spell’s target is subject to displacement for 1d20 rounds.
30 One of the caster’s eyes changes colour permanently.
31 The spell affects the target 2d8 rounds after it was cast.
32 Clouds form over the caster’s head. A light rain begins 1 minute later.
33 Spell becomes a living spell (see Eberron Campaign Setting)
34 The caster’s familiar falls into a catatonic state for 1d4 hours. If the caster has no familiar, the caster is paralyzed for 1d4 minutes
35 The target of the spell turns into a tree for 1d20 rounds.
36 Any nonmagical, metal weapons carried by the target gain the corrosive (see Pathfinder Advanced Player’s Guide) ability for 3d4 rounds, after which they dissolve and are completely destroyed.
37 The spell effects target and the nearest 2d4 creatures to the target.
38 The caster sprouts weak, rudimentary wings. The wings cannot be used to fly, but can be used to arrest a fall (the caster only suffers 1d6 damage from a fall, regardless of the distance fallen). After 1d10 days, the wings drop off.
39 The target is the recipient of a water breathing spell for the next 1d4 days.
40 All the caster’s weapons gain a +1 enhancement bonus (which stacks with existing bonuses) for one day.
41 The target’s race changes (use the reincarnate table) for the duration of the spell.
42 The target’s hair turns white.
43 All magic items carried by the target cease to function for 1d6 hours.
44 Everyone within a 90-ft. radius is affected by a slow spell.
45 Chain lightning centred on the target.
46 All non-magical metal items carried by the target turn to gold (worth 10 gp per lb in weight).
47 The caster loses 2d4 hit points which are transferred to the target.
48 The target loses 3d6 hit points which are transferred to the caster.
49 Gravity affects the caster strangely; every time he tries to move he leaps in 3d6 squares (5-ft. increments) in the direction he had intended to move. This effect lasts for the duration of the spell.
50 Mirror image spells affect both caster and target simultaneously for the duration of the spell.
51 The target’s skin becomes poisonous, coated with dragon bile contact poison for 1 hour.
52 An earthquake occurs, centred on the target and affecting all in a 40-ft. radius.
53 All missile weapons whose flight passes within a 50-ft. radius of the target redirect towards the target (+5 attack roll to determine if they strike). This effect lasts for 2d8 rounds.
54 Everything within a 100-ft. radius of the caster is affected by a grease spell for the next 1d12 rounds.
55 The next time the caster speaks he involuntarily belches fire in the direction he is facing; as per the fire breath spell (see Pathfinder Advanced Player’s Guide)
56 A nishruu (see Lost Empires of Faerun) appears in a square adjacent to the spell’s target and attacks the most powerful spellcaster in the immediate area.
57 The spell cast affects the next living creature the caster touches.
58 All the caster’s spell components explode into harmless puffs of pink smoke. They are completely destroyed.
59 Both caster and target suffer from the effects of a feeblemind spell for the next 1d3 days.
60 A harmless rain of tiny frogs falls from the sky to pelt the target.
61 Colourful fireworks streak from the caster’s hands. They travel for 100-ft. in the direction of the target and then explode with a loud bang, causing everyone in a 30-ft. radius 1d4 fire damage. If they strike an obstacle before travelling 100-ft. they do not explode but cause 2d6 fire damage to the obstructing object or creature.
62 The caster hears occasional, whispering voices in his head for the next 1d6 days. Most of the time it’s impossible to make out what the voices are saying beyond the occasional mention of the caster’s name, but the DM may choose to impart useful or misleading information via these voices.
63 Blood runs from the caster’s nose and ears (no damage caused), but the spell works normally.
64 The target is affected by blur for the next 3d6 rounds.
65 All plants within a 120-ft. radius suddenly burst into flower, even if the affected plants wouldn’t normally have flowers!
66 A shield other spell takes effect, with the target as the beneficiary. The effect lasts for 1d4 hours.
67 An ice storm occurs, centred on the caster and lasting 2d6 rounds.
68 The target of the spell is immediately transported to the Ethereal plane for the duration of the spell.
69 The caster develops an abiding, irrational hatred of the target that can only be cured by remove curse or stronger magic.
70 The spell functions as if affected by the Maximise Spell metamagic feat, but the intensity of the Weave overwhelms the caster, leaving him paralyzed for 1d4 rounds.
71 Blood-red snow falls for one round in a 60-ft. radius centred on the caster.
72 The target turns to a randomly determined ornamental stone (use the table in 2nd edition Forgotten Realms Adventures if possible) statue. Depending on its nature, the target can be broken up into gemstones worth 1o gp each. A fine target yields but a single gemstone, a diminutive target 1d10 stones, a tiny target 2d10 and so forth; adding 1d10 per increasing size category.
73 A surge of arcane energy restores 1d8 charges to charged magical items and bestows 2d6 temporary hit points (duration 1 day) to any magical beasts within a 30-ft. radius of the caster.
74 The caster involuntarily detects thoughts of all sentient creatures within a 15-ft. radius continually and simultaneously for 2d20 hours.
75 Both target and caster are affected by repulsion spells with 50-ft. radiuses for the duration of the spell. If target and caster are within the areas of effect of their respective repulsions are hurled 3d100 feet directly away from each other, suffer 3d6 damage and end up prone.
76 All magic items carried by the target are rendered inactive for 1d6 days. During this period, the dormant magic items feed their magic as healing energy into the target, bestowing regeneration 3 as long as none of the items are removed from the target’s body and no new magical items are acquired.
77 The target turns into an ochre jelly for the duration of the spell.
78 Any normal animals in a 20-ft. radius of the caster turn permanently into darkenbeasts (see Monsters of Faerun). The caster has no control of the darkenbeasts, which attack any nearby creatures.
79 A swirling aura of different coloured arcane energies surrounds the target, entrancing all sentient humanoids in a 30-ft. radius who fail a DC 15 Will save. Entranced creatures move toward the target, cooing and stroking him gently for the duration of the spell. Creatures entering the area of effect are also affected, whilst the entrancement is broken for any creature removed from the area.
80 A unicorn’s horn grows from the target’s head and remains there for the duration of the spell. The target can create a magic circle against evil (CL 9th) at will by concentrating as a full round action.
81 The next tenday the target is afflicted by a darkness spell that lasts 2d20 minutes. The spell comes into effect at highsun each day.
82 An arcane bolt strikes the target, inflicting 8d4 damage (no save).
83 Any corpses within a 50-ft. radius are raised as skeletons or zombies (depending on state of decay) under the caster’s control.
84 The caster is rendered invisible and mute for a day. He is unable to end either effect without a remove curse spell, and does not become visible if he attacks something.
85 The spell fails and the caster loses hit points equal to the spell’s level.
86 An anarchic storm (see 3.5 Spell Compendium) comes into effect, centred on the square where the target is standing and lasting for the duration of the spell.
87 There is a bright flash of magical discharge, leaving all creatures within 50-ft. of the caster dazzled for two rounds.
88 A transfix (see 3.5 Spell Compendium) spell takes hold, affecting all creatures within a 60-ft. radius of the caster for the next 1d4+1 rounds.
89 The caster’s spell scatters into rays of enfeeblement, exhaustion and frost. A separate ray automatically strikes the three creatures closest to the caster.
90 All protective magical auras within a 100-ft. radius of the caster are reversed. Thus mage armour now causes a -4 AC penalty, resist energy now causes energy vulnerability etc. The effect lasts for 2d6 rounds.
91 The weight of all items carried by the caster triple (although their size is unaltered) for the duration of the spell.
92 A web spell takes effect, centred on the target and lasting for 4d6 rounds.
93 All bodies of water within 100-ft. of the target turn to blood.
94 The spell fails, as do all the spells the caster attempts for the next 2d10 rounds.
95 Four tentacles grow around the caster’s mouth. The effect is permanent (the DM should impose penalties for most skill checks involving social interaction), but the tentacles can be used to manipulate small objects (such as grasping daggers or wands, or wearing rings).
96 Any object held by the caster and then released floats in the air for 1d4+1 rounds before falling gently to the ground. This effect lasts for a tenday.
97 Any divination spells cast by the caster over the next month will produce wildly inaccurate results, although the caster will be convinced by their veracity.
98 The spell works normally. The next tenday, all words spoken by the caster are also heard as whispers by the target and anyone within the target’s immediate vicinity.
99 All spells still available to the caster are cast simultaneously in a great explosion of magical power. The spells affect random targets, as determined by the DM, but 90% of spell’s cast should have effects beneficial to the caster. Rules for range can be ignored, thus spell’s with a range of ‘touch’ or ‘personal’ can effect nearby creatures normally out of range.
100 The caster involuntarily plane shifts to a randomly determined Outer Plane.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  04:36:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can definitely use this for something I have been working on.

Thanks

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Aug 2012 04:37:24
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  06:14:44  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the note of the roll of an 100, does anyone know if there was an official random plane destination table in 3.5? I remember seeing one once, but have not been able to locate it since.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  07:02:00  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a Random Planar Destinations table on page 37 of the Manual of the Planes that could work for you, though it's possible that is a 3e rather than 3.5e reference book

Edit: Love the table by the way. If I use it I think I will trade out the 1d20 days of evocations being shadow evocations for something else though. That could potentially be a lot of sessions to try and keep track of that result.

Edited by - idilippy on 08 Aug 2012 07:04:45
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  14:21:41  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a table like this is the Tome of Magic for 2E?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  14:47:28  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

On the note of the roll of an 100, does anyone know if there was an official random plane destination table in 3.5? I remember seeing one once, but have not been able to locate it since.

There's one in the Spell Compendium, page 169.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  18:22:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Wasn't there a table like this is the Tome of Magic for 2E?

Indeed. And I'm wanting to say that the surge table from there was posted on the WotC site, for a long time, until they took down/lost the downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  21:46:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought there was table in FR Adventures as well.

Just checked; there is, on page 10, but it isn't as comprehensive as this. I too remember seeing a much bigger one somewhere (probably in one of those books you guys already mentioned).

EDIT: Ack! Nevermind... I just realized you guys were talking about a random-plane table. I think there was one for an artifact in the 1e/2e DMG (I cant recall which artifact, though).

EDIT2: I would also imagine there has to be one somewhere amongst all the PS material.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Aug 2012 21:48:55
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  21:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

There is a Random Planar Destinations table on page 37 of the Manual of the Planes that could work for you, though it's possible that is a 3e rather than 3.5e reference book
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  06:24:51  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Awesome, glad I could help!
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  15:16:00  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to look through my files when I get home because I also distinctly remember seeing a rather huge table outside the Tome of Magic. It was insanely huge, just what we need when a wild surge happens.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  10:04:39  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try your list when I'm the DM again, wonderful work. There's a similar book, recently released, called Your Whispering Homunculus. It has a bunch of useful lists.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2012 :  17:51:34  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all,

I based this table on the 1d100 from the 2e Tome of Magic. An important NPC in a future adventure will be a wild mage, and with this in mind I decided you could never have too many options concerning the random effects of wild surges.

I didn't come across any other 1d100 tables in my researches, but there are wild surge tables in the various campaign setting books, as well as the Avatar series of modules and the Ruins of Myth Drannor.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  02:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I'm now playing a 2e wild mage in a pbp game, I figured I'd resurrect this thread and see if anyone has found those alternate 2e wild surge tables. The one in Tome of Magic is great, but I'm always keen to expanding the wildness. Especially since this guy's favorite spell is turning out to be Nahal's Reckless Dweomer...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  04:37:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe Sean K Reynolds has a wild magic surge table on his website... And the wonderful Bastion Press book Faeries has a table on the effects of using magic sand when spellcasting; the table could be very easily tweaked to be a wild magic surge table.

I was once working on a grand set of wild magic surge tables, myself... I had created 6 different tables to determine if a wild surge happened (roll a d6 to see which table to roll on!), and I had found 4 different sets of surge effects (one being from SKR's site; one from the table that used to be on the WotC site, that was also in the 2E Tome of Magic; one from the magic sand table in Faeries, and one that I'm not sure of, but may have come from a netbook I found). I think I had further plans for the tables, but I was working on them mostly at work, lost that job, and never got back to them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  09:58:28  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have on my hard drive a table with close to 800 wild magic effects. As I am certain I cannot have come up with thatone myself, it must also be floating around in the interweb somewhere...

Talk about unpredicatable...
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  10:39:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I simply have the intended spell/effect replace the existing entry in the table for the next time around. I've never really seen any need for multiple complex Wild Surge tables and indices unless Wild Magic is itself a dominant theme, ie: a prominent character is a Wild Mage. Well, that's a lie ... I was greatly enthused about it, until in actual practice it just became lots of slowdown with little variance in results.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000