Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Aasimar Assassin
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  08:52:25  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of the players in one of my early attempts to begin an online game came up with this great backstory in which the church of Pelor was secretly breeding an elite force of half-celestial/aasimar to combat the undead menace. I thought this idea had such potential, that I've kept in mind for years. Which churches in the Realms can you see employing similar tactics? Not necessarily to fight undead, but a covert force of holy-warriors bred for church purpouses.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  12:03:47  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could work for any church, even some really odd matches like Torm. The DM can weave the story around an individual cult of holy warrior / assassins that might be a little off mark in their interpretation of the deity's teaching.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  12:41:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All churches, from my understanding, would employ at least a few such people to get into places or fight opponents with such tactics instead of the shiney plate-mailed warrior. The Grey Guard are a good example of holy warriors who might use underhanded tactics to fight evil, as for them the end justifies the means.

Also, going by the v3.5 mechanics, there was a class called the Avenger that was the Assassin class but not evil. Same thing with 4E too.
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  21:43:33  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well they aren't 'bred' for it, but the pact of the new moon "consists solely of lycanthropes sworn to Selūne, carrying out the most secretive and violent aspects of Selūne's work."

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  01:47:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about Torm or Selune. Lathander, maybe. But not quite the right vibe. NG deities open to shifty practices and mating their followers with angelic (Celestial) bloodlines? Any other suggestions?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 02 Aug 2012 01:48:35
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  01:51:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Diffan. I know the Avenger well. It was an April Fool's article, IIRC. I'm pushing my DM for a Harper poisoner. More suited to the Moonstars, perhaps.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 02 Aug 2012 01:55:18
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:12:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And yes, I'm aware of the Shadowbane Inquisitor/Stalker. Props ESdB. Aasimar Stalker. There may be something there.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 02 Aug 2012 02:13:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000