Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Prince of Ravens
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  03:40:13  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone read this yet?

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  04:01:52  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Anyone read this yet?

Got it and started reading, but only into the first few pages.
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  14:13:01  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished it a few weeks ago.
It's exactly what I'd expect from a Jack Ravenwild book and makes me eager for more.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  14:42:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm skipping this one. Not just because of the ebook format, or the fact that I've avoided most post-Spellplague fiction, but also because I find it rather unlikely that the main character and his worst enemy both somehow manage to survive the timejump.

I wasn't hugely fond of the original book, either.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  15:05:18  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
but also because I find it rather unlikely that the main character and his worst enemy both somehow manage to survive the timejump.

The explanation works good enough. I was very skeptical as well.

quote:

Blasphemy ;)

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  15:13:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm skipping this one. Not just because of the ebook format, or the fact that I've avoided most post-Spellplague fiction, but also because I find it rather unlikely that the main character and his worst enemy both somehow manage to survive the timejump.

Same here. It really bothers me how the powers that be decided to let certain characters survive the time-jump just to write about them more. If you wanted to write more then just have it set in an appropriate time frame.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  16:29:41  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Same here. It really bothers me how the powers that be decided to let certain characters survive the time-jump just to write about them more. If you wanted to write more then just have it set in an appropriate time frame

Any examples? Other than the Haunted Lands trilogy which was the first time Baeris and Aoth appeared and they kind of had to survive the time frame of the series for the trilogy to actually work.

I would have been annoyed if Cattie Bri survived even though it was completely feasible for her to in the same manor as Aoth. I'm glad RAS thinned out the Companions of the Hall.

Edited by - phranctoast on 01 Aug 2012 17:08:09
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  17:19:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The effects of the Spellplague were random. It nuked some realms, while leaving others virtually unscathed. It killed some people (insignificant and powerful alike), left them insane or maimed (like the Simbul), or granted them extra power boost (spellscarred, like Aoth Fezim and Raidon Kane).

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  17:30:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The effects of the Spellplague were random. It nuked some realms, while leaving others virtually unscathed. It killed some people (insignificant and powerful alike), left them insane or maimed (like the Simbul), or granted them extra power boost (spellscarred, like Aoth Fezim and Raidon Kane).

Yeah, but in this case, we're talking about two non-spellcasting humans who both manage to be alive and well more than 100 years after we last saw them. And if that's not bad enough, it just happens to be one dude and his enemy, that both conveniently survived.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  17:40:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Maybe the Spellplague granted them longevity?

To phranctoast and everyone who's read the novel, what explanation was given in the book regarding this?

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  18:13:41  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe the Spellplague granted them longevity?

To phranctoast and everyone who's read the novel, what explanation was given in the book regarding this?

spoilers....
Complications from sealing Mrykryssa (sp,) in the Mythal stone with the stone ring at the end of City of Raven, bound her there until the Dark Elves started tinkering with it again. I forgot the exact details as to why he gets sealed back with her even though he wasn't drawn in at the exact same time. I think it has to do with Mystra making him the guardian of the Mythal Stone.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  18:26:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I see. I have no problem with that explanation. That's similar to Raidon Kane's fate when the Spellplague hit him. [Raidon Kane is no wizard, but he carries a magical sword.]

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  18:39:05  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was Raidon Kane in any other novels other than the Abolethic Sovereignty?

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  18:41:54  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm ready for Liriel to make a comeback. Please make it possible EC!!! Elaith will be coming back... I'd like to see how Liriel fared post SP.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  18:43:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phranctoast

Maybe in Stardeep. I haven't read that book, so I'm not certain.

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  18:55:48  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You're right. Stardeep according to description does have Raidon Kane. I'll likely check that out.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:10:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm ready for Liriel to make a comeback. Please make it possible EC!!! Elaith will be coming back... I'd like to see how Liriel fared post SP.

That's up to WotC, not Elaine.

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:17:08  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok.. Lets go Wizards of the Coast.. Make it possible ;)

Given what they're doing right now with the Rise of the Underdark, she instead of Elaith makes a batter case for coming back at this time.

Edited by - phranctoast on 01 Aug 2012 19:18:54
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  19:44:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I hope so. Though I have a feeling we'll instead see Drizzt all over the place.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  20:15:17  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

You're right. Stardeep according to description does have Raidon Kane. I'll likely check that out.

It does indeed have Kane. Its like a prequel and its quite a decent read.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  02:06:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

You might also want to look into Darkvision, written is by Bruce Cordell as well. It's kind of spiritual-thematic precursor to the entire Abolethic Sovereignty saga.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  03:53:32  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stardeep isn't so much a prequel as it came out before the Abolethic Sovereignty. Darkvison also introduces the sword that Kane uses in that series.

As for Prince of Ravens...I thought it was entertaining, however it didn't quite live up to the hype that I have been giving it for the past ten years. I found that while Baker did a decent job of making sense of how Jack was able to survive the hundred year lapse, the book became bogged down in the explainations of the events of the last book and the spellplague and so on and so forth. I also thought the plot and characters other than Jack were a little lazy. Much rehash and revisting. His old theiving partner was too old now, but his son looked/acted just like him. I couldn't help wondering if Richard finishing this book after his position at Wizards was terminated had anything to do with it.

I really like Richard Baker as an author, I loved the Blades of the Moonsea and the original Jack Ravenwild novel is one of my all time favs. Now that Jacks storyline has moved into the new century and the old loose ends are tied up I would love to see his character placed in a new plot with new intrigues. I really hope Richard keeps writing realms fiction.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  14:23:55  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Stardeep isn't so much a prequel as it came out before the Abolethic Sovereignty. Darkvison also introduces the sword that Kane uses in that series.

Yes well i meant it gives you some background info and stuff.
Anyway i read it after the Sovereignty trilogy . I don't often bother with reading novels in the proper order
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  02:19:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I don't often bother with reading novels in the proper order

Neither do I. Whatever is available at the moment is what I read. So I end up reading in random at times; though I often re-read them in proper order when I get all the books in the series.

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  13:47:57  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also don't read anything other than trilogies in the proper order. Not really by conscience choice, but by release date with newer books, and the certainty that older books are out of my chronological order.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  19:32:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah i just read whatever i get my hands on. After all its a bit difficult to get fantasy books in India so I got into the habit of reading whatever was at hand..
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  14:39:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm curious why you would say "Elaith is coming back." Is someone else writing a book about him?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  18:15:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I'm curious why you would say "Elaith is coming back." Is someone else writing a book about him?

My guess is that he's referring to the long-awaited The Serpent's Daughter, which will, assumably, feature Elaith.

Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  18:25:09  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct. As I was wishing for a new Liriel Novel or trilogy :)

Was I wrong to speculate?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  23:39:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Correct. As I was wishing for a new Liriel Novel or trilogy :)

Was I wrong to speculate?

Not wrong at all. Without speculation, what would any of us do on the internet?

The wording of your post made me wonder if Elaith had broken into some other writer's novel. It would be like him.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  03:05:50  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't help but notice you didn't address any possible returns of either of the aforementioned characters to print.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus

Edited by - Aulduron on 09 Aug 2012 03:07:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000