Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Lifespand of Half-Fiends / dragons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  11:32:11  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everybody,

i was wondering what the lifespan of the above mentioned creatures is compared to the base creature i.e. human

I usually handle it that fiends do not really age at all, but grow more powerful, and dragons age similar to the type of dragons they are "part"of, but also do not die of old age really, but get more draconic features with age.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Edit: 3,0-3,5 as general ruleset

Edited by - Jakuta Khan on 19 Jul 2012 11:33:13

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  13:26:36  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A great Wyrm is at least 1200 years old, and there have been mentions of some of them reaching even higher/older states. I imagine that a fiend is in effect immortal, but very few will actually live very long before being detroyed, probably by another fiend.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  14:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on what edition you're playing in.

In 2e, "half-fiends" are actually cambions and alu-fiends; full-fledged lesser tanar'ri and therefore immortal until slain.

In 3e, I don't think the lifespan of the half-fiend template was ever addressed, so it would probably be exactly the same as the base creature, or possibly increased by 50-100%. For reference, in 2e the tiefling had a max age of 100+1d100 years.

As for half-dragons, in 3e it was never explicitly stated, though in Races of Dragon there's notes in the flavor text that they mature more slowly and have longer lifespans. It says that a half-elf, half-dragon can have the lifespan equalling some true dragons, so I'd say a human or halfling base would get a lifespan of 500-700 years, an elf would be 1500, and a dwarf or gnome would be somewhere in between. Those numbers are just my conjecture.

In 2e, half-dragons had a max lifespan of 250-350 years, depending on whether they were half bronze, silver, or gold.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2012 :  16:24:12  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thx again hoondatha and Kilvan.

btw. info pending to be in your box tonight on rpol.

did you have a check on my question regarding the humanoid relam in the giant's plain? i put in some stats for your question
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  15:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of when I was trying to work out the lifespan for an elven shade...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000