Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 D&D Groups
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  06:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe you mean "Cinematics."

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  07:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, it's Cynimatik. It's the magic where if something's cool, you get more Cynimatiks, and then get more powerful. You just have to be careful that it doesn't descend into Kliche.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  10:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point Bookwyrm, Kliches must be prevented at all costs... Well maybe not, a cliche is a recognized writing device, if it can be used in writing then why can't we use it in D&D.

God I hope my Creative Writing Teacher doesn't see this, he hates cliches, infact he onces said think of the most unlikey thing to happen and use that in place of a cliche! Hmm honestly I think he is a soap writer .

Cliches can be useful, but be very careful not to ver use them. If everyone does as the English-teacher-cum-soap-writer does then they will find their campaign becoming very unbelievable. Make it varied use Cliches but not all the time.

Oh sorry Bookwyrm,I forgot it is Kliches... Sorry

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  16:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That brings up a question: does switching Cs for Ks and Is for Ys make a word Cynimatik, or Kliche?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  01:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play in two different campaigns set in the Realms although they take place in the same time, 1373. And would sorta "meet up" because of the fate of the world resting over one little female girl. (I'll split up the groups into two different posts to not make it too long to read.... )

The epic group:

Del (shortened from her full Drow name): Femald Drow sorcerer/cleric/dragon disciple/mystic theurge (total levels around 31, not including ECL) She's the only surviving member of her House and has been traveling, searching for any other possible survivors. Her patron deity: Eilistraee

Ian: Male half-Drow ranger/rogue (total levels 33). He was raised by his human family after being abandoned by his Drow (sire?). Patron deity: Lurue

Raven: Male part human/part tiefling fighter/barbarian/shade (total levels 36, including ECLs). Hails from the country of Cormyr and has had many problems dealing with the innate evil of his tiefling blood trying to dictate his actions and has, hopefully, managed to overcome that and stay on the side of good.

Rozhena Ashford (my character): Female human cleric 29/Divine Champion 4. She's not exactly your "typical cleric", preferring to be either tossing spells or being in the middle of the fray. she has some aspirations of attaining paladinhood but it's a bit out of her reach. Considering she doesn't exactly want to follow "The Code" like they do. (especially considering it'd be an alignment shift from NG to LG to do so...). She also comes from Cormyr and traveled with Raven before meeting up with the two Drow and traveling with them ever since. Patron deity: Torm

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  01:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to add Raven's patron deity of Eilistraee....

Now for the "lower level" group:

Shandri: Female human fighter 9 (ECL +1 with having telepathic/psionic abilities) Former slave/harem girl who now dresses all in white and found out she's some sort of a princess. Patron deity: Tyr

Kensai: Male vampiel rogue 4 (ecl: +6) Newest member of the group who proved himself decent in a fight against alot of demons that invaded Sundabar in search of the small girl who travels with this group (who are unaware of her importance in the world's future). Patron deity: Helm

Seregor: Male human druid/ranger (total levels: 10) Has no real comprehension of how the world works as he's spent most, if not all, his life in the forests. He's learning some things, thanks to the mute yet telepathic Shandri. Patron deity: Meilikki

Valsherina Pendleton (my character): Female human Paladin 10. Hails from the country of Sembia and is the daughter of a wine merchant. Is used mostly to the trappings of a high class level of life. But that changed as she was "chosen" to be a paladin which, at first disappointed her father but he did later warm to the notion of having a paladin as a daughter. She's had problems with the mostly chaotic Igen which has irritated her but she hasn't complained vocally about it... Patron deity: Tyr

Igen: Female fey'ri Sorcerer/fighter/spellsword (total class levels: 8, I think... not including ECL). Quite the chaotic one in the bunch.

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  02:09:15  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Ahem* You're still playing 2nd Edition, aren't you? Just to let you know, when you say part human, part tiefling, do you mean one parent was human, and the other was a tiefling?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  03:03:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can you say that, Shadowlord? It seems like she couldn't be playing 2e. Look at the words she's using.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  17:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops. My mistake... I posted this at 11 pm anyways. I had a right to mess up.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  19:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am trying to set up a group, if I make it we will be four in the age of 14-15. I am not going to be a DM I think, but if it is teh only way I will have to be one.

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  21:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Luck Ezindir! I hope you get the group together, I know just how hard it can be to get a group together, especially of teenagers. Mean while if you are DM what are your plans for a campaign. I don't know about any of the other DMs but i often have, what I think is a, great idea for a campaign, but I only ever get into the basic design stages before another even better campaign comes to mind... But I have planned to resurrect an old idea for a Ravenloft I had. But atlas I just couldn't help adding an extra few parts to it. Muhahahahahaha. Anyway, Ezindir if you need any help dont forget to ask! That reminds me I have a map to make for someone....

Hanx
Elrond

Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  01:16:32  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

*Ahem* You're still playing 2nd Edition, aren't you? Just to let you know, when you say part human, part tiefling, do you mean one parent was human, and the other was a tiefling?

Started 3rd ed, now 3.5 ed.

And he started as a human and then "morphed" for lack of a better term into a tiefling, with wings.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  01:30:51  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May I ask how such a thing is possible?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  05:26:58  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the first session in my campaign off the ground last night. A pretty successful night, and looks like a lof of solid role players in the group, with two newbies to keep things fresh:

Kaelin Drache Human Rogue, originally from Steppenhall in the Duchy of Soravia, he left home at the age of 7 to escape the deadly fate of becoming a shepherd. He found his way to Trailsend where he learned to earn a living on the street. His superior skills at influencing others allowed him to fit into various levels of society, and he gradually became known as a man who could get things done. With the recent shake-up in the rulership of the barony, Kaelin has decided to cast his lot with group of adventurers until things quiet down in the city and the political outcome becomes clearer.

Hiro of the Var, Half-Orc barbarian from Narfell, raised by the Var tribe, but cast out of that tribe after a change in leadership. The new tribal chief is not tolerant of orcish blood, and Hiro was "Sent Into the West", a term meaning that he was dismissed in shame. Hiro found his way to Trailsend in hopes of finding an honorable group to join.

Fallon uth Pendemyr Half-Elf ranger, as a girl she fled from the Duchy of Goliad when Zhengyi's forces overran her father's holdings. She was raised by rangers in the Rawlinswood. Recently her mentor and step-father was slain by an orc raid in Soravia, and Fallon found herself wintering in Trailsend, pondering her goals for the future.

Corian Tanner Human Sorceror. Having completed her tutelage in Heliogabalus, Corian returns to her home in Trailsend to recruit a group of adventurers to explore the keep of a long-dead mage...

Ashe, Druid of the Rawlinswood Coven, human druid. Having the most normal background, Ashe was sent into the wider world to gain an understanding of how it works, and in the process to gain a better understanding of the delicate balance of nature.

Jonrek Silverune, half-elf cleric of Tyr, hails from the Gray Forest, but travelled to Trailsend to follow in his father's footsteps and learn the ways of Grimjaws. After studying with his father's mentor, Jonrek is ready to hunt down injustice wherever it may hide, and to set the Barony of Polten back of the true path of righteousness.

All characters are starting out at 1st level, and there are already some interesting group dynamics forming. I think this will turn out to be a great group

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2004 :  11:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

Good Luck Ezindir! I hope you get the group together, I know just how hard it can be to get a group together, especially of teenagers. Mean while if you are DM what are your plans for a campaign. I don't know about any of the other DMs but i often have, what I think is a, great idea for a campaign, but I only ever get into the basic design stages before another even better campaign comes to mind... But I have planned to resurrect an old idea for a Ravenloft I had. But atlas I just couldn't help adding an extra few parts to it. Muhahahahahaha. Anyway, Ezindir if you need any help dont forget to ask! That reminds me I have a map to make for someone....

Hanx
Elrond

I quess I will take a champain that are made for beginners. I want start with making it myself, but hopefully I will not be the DM.

But thanks for the offer.

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Knightcrawler
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  01:02:21  Show Profile  Visit Knightcrawler's Homepage Send Knightcrawler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava
Kensai: Male vampiel rogue 4 (ecl: +6) Newest member of the group who proved himself decent in a fight against alot of demons that invaded Sundabar in search of the small girl who travels with this group (who are unaware of her importance in the world's future). Patron deity: Helm

Vampire Hunter D anyone. Where did you find the half-vampire template? Are you using the one from Dragon Mag 313?

Knightcrawler

I Am Become Death, Destroyer Of Worlds

Edited by - Knightcrawler on 24 Feb 2004 01:04:09
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  08:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the 'Dhampir' template from the Ravenloft settings books more appropriately fits the character 'D' from those anime series of movies.

And, if you use the grafted symbionts from the BoVD, you can graft a nice mouth to the creatures right hand (is was his right hand wasn't it?)

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  02:46:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knightcrawler

quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

Vampire Hunter D anyone. Where did you find the half-vampire template? Are you using the one from Dragon Mag 313?

I believe that's mostly likely the case, although I think it was called a Katane. The issue also details a number of half-undead templates.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sorn
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  06:43:10  Show Profile  Visit Sorn's Homepage Send Sorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoping to get a D&D group going in Faerun very shortly. Playing out of the gaming store close to where I live.

Either the Realms, or a Ravenloft game. Maybe both if I have enough time for 2 groups :)

I prefer groups of about 6-7

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2004 :  13:17:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd probably stick with the Realms first, mainly because there's less for you (as a player) to know at the start of the game. With all due respect to the Realms and it's highly diverse cultures and cities, the Ravenloft setting requires a great deal more of pre-game knowledge for both the players and the DM. Plus there's a total of three setting sourcebooks to read on the basis of the RL setting, while the Realms has the basic FRCS.

Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  22:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn

Hoping to get a D&D group going in Faerun very shortly. Playing out of the gaming store close to where I live.

Either the Realms, or a Ravenloft game. Maybe both if I have enough time for 2 groups :)

I prefer groups of about 6-7

Actually I'd have to agree with The Sage on this one, but perhaps for different reasons. I feel that Ravenloft is a different sort of game from the Forgotten Realms- its based alot more on Roleplaying, and the group making educated decisions to stay alive. At the same time you can roleplay in the Realms, but what i mean is in Ravenloft not everything is as it seems, and players require experience if they want to live, especially in the lower stages of the game. In addition to this Ravenloft is a very low magic setting.

However I'm not trying to say that you are inexperienced if your not, and even if you are its not a reason to not play Ravenloft. People also have misconceptions of Ravenloft, this IMHO is from 'Killer DMs' who get carried away with the power over the setting that they have! Put it this way some of the players in a group of mine (Who some have been playing for over 25 years...) Have a very strong misconception of Ravenloft because of that famous module... Seemingly the DM was a bit of a Killer....

Anyway I love the Realms, but I also love Ravenloft! So it would be a hard decision for me! Anyway none of the players in the above group bar two have played ravenloft, so they might get a surprise soon. After all it is my turn to run a campaign....

Sorry For the Ramblings

Hanx
Elrond

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  13:14:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no need to apologise Elrond .

What you've written is probably one of the best, and easiest to comprehend perspectives on understanding the Ravenloft setting that I've ever read.

You are certainly right about the 'Killer DMs', and their feelings for the game. I think this was one of the contributing factors that lead to it's eventual discontinued status in 2e, as more and more gamers opted to take their campaigns elsewhere because of these perceptions on the game.

The tighter restraints on rules usage (especially when it comes to the Dark Powers) and improved format of 3e RL though, has really brought the setting into an area all its own.

Now here's a question that will bring my post back onto topic - Who among us had actually started their D&D career as a spectator: someone who'd joined up with a group of more experienced players and simply watched a game session from the sidelines...?

Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  15:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage. While I never started my career as a spectator, I have however joined a gaming group as a spectator. This was only for about 3-4 sessions, and the campaign was one the group had been running for a while, I primarily joined as a spectator to gain an understanding of the house rules that they used. But perhaps more importantly,as they where just finishing that campaign, I didnt want to get involved at this late stage.

Ok so its not exactly what you asked but there you go... What about anyone else?

Hanx
Elrond

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000