Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gametechnical question...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  23:45:13  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Guys. Branching out from another thread about what's wrong with the Realms, I have a question (sorry if it's been debated to death before).

As someone pointed out, one of the problems in D&D3.5 was the Saves at high levels, as some characters basically couldn't fail their good saves, and had no chance in hell to successfully make their bad saves.

In a game like D&D, where we have character levels and continous improvement of the characters. Have anyone come up with a good way to solve this problem?

Simplest solution is of course to simply change the rate the saves improve at, or screw around with the save DC's. But have anyone come up with anything more interesting or elegant that that?

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  00:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have time to get into the thick of it right now, but Trailblazer breaks down a lot of the math in 3.5. I am actually trying to adapt it for some low-magical item Pathfinder rules.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  01:57:13  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the math was ever fixed for Save progression in D&D. The DC doesn't scale the same as the Saving Throws do, hence the disparity between them. The question is, should it vary greatly and by how much? Is a range of 40% to 55% acceptable overall?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  03:11:55  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I truly think that magic items were supposed to counter the defect in saving throws at high level.

I played an 18th level Wizard in a short game (started at 18th level) and all my saves were 50+ easily.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  04:17:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I truly think that magic items were supposed to counter the defect in saving throws at high level.

I played an 18th level Wizard in a short game (started at 18th level) and all my saves were 50+ easily.

Unless you had some un-godly high Ability score, how is this possible? Also, what edition? In 3E, DC is calculated as 10 + spell level + Ability Modifier + Feats + spell-modification (like Spell Enhancer, Spell Compendium). So lets say you had an Intelligence modifier of 40 and you had Spell Focus (necromancy), and Greater Spell Focus (necromancy) followed by Shadow Weave Magic (+1 to DC for Necro spells) and spell enchancer casted just prior to a 9th level spell.....that'd be a DC 38, which is pretty ridiculous. DCs in the 50's is pretty hard to accomplish Rules-As-Written.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  05:37:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Unless you had some un-godly high Ability score, how is this possible? Also, what edition? In 3E, DC is calculated as 10 + spell level + Ability Modifier + Feats + spell-modification (like Spell Enhancer, Spell Compendium). So lets say you had an Intelligence modifier of 40 and you had Spell Focus (necromancy), and Greater Spell Focus (necromancy) followed by Shadow Weave Magic (+1 to DC for Necro spells) and spell enchancer casted just prior to a 9th level spell.....that'd be a DC 38, which is pretty ridiculous. DCs in the 50's is pretty hard to accomplish Rules-As-Written.

I am talking 3.5...and I said my saves (fort, ref, will) were 50+...not my spell DCs.

There were so many items that could give stackable bonuses to saving throws: Infernal Bonus, Luck Bonus, blah, blah, blah...it wasn't hard at all to have Fort, Ref & Will at 50+ each at level 18.

HOWEVER, having said that...it wasn't impossible with the Magic Factory mechanics of 3.5 to generate godlike spell DCs also...as you so ably pointed out.

EDIT:

As an example, you could have an item that added a +5 Infernal modifier to spells you cast...stacked with another item that adds a +5 modifier from another source. The problem with 3.5 was that once a character reached a certain level...and was capable of creating magic items (such as a Wizard); there wasn't much that could stop him except the gods...and even they weren't truly safe unless the DM was on top of making sure munchkins PLAYED the game Munchkin instead of his game!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 28 Jun 2012 05:41:38
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  07:24:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most effective way of getting rid of the high save problem from level based progression of saves is to remove the level based progression of saves completely.
Any attempt at rebalancing the progression merely delays the effect.

In removing the level based progression however you have to then redesign large portions of the game which depending on your commitment may or may not be feasible.

I had to remove BAB and all save based progressions meaning that attack and saves were based largely on the characters attributes (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution etc). After changing the multiple attack rules, using a house rule from Unearthed Arcana to reduce AC bonuses from armour and natural armour, changing the skill system just because its as broken as the save problem, then changing all the monsters and the character classes, and after relculating all the DCs of monster attacks i found a few interesting side effects.

Firstly there will no longer be a need for epic rules since the game now works at high levels. Also a 1st level monster is now quite likely to hit a high level PC since the PCs AC is based on his Dex stat plus about 4 from platemail (and im pretty mean with magic items). So i no longer see my PCs charging headlong into thousands of orcs and emerging unscathed. They can still kill them by the hundreds but they receive damage as well so they play a lot more intelligently.

Lastly buff spells now become a lot more prominent as even a +2 bonus to anything is now vastly more important and my PCs always have a prayer spell or bulls strength spell on standby just in case.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  15:53:03  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My party is currently level 17/18, and I do not have that problem. Then again, no character is truly optimized (though all of them are multiclassed), all of them have at least a +3 resistance bonus and theres a cleric spell that grant a +4 morale bonus for a long period of time. With all that, the average low save will be around 18-ish and the average high save will be 28-ish. The average spell DC is 30, so yes, 1 of the save (or 2) will be hard to miss, but the other will have a good 50% chance to succeed, which is more than what I had during my 2nd edition days.

Multiclassing with 2 different* base classes + 1 prestige class with 2 good saves usually solve that problem I think, and it is common enough to be fun without being weird or min-maxed. I am not familiar with Infernal bonuses and luck bonuses are extremely rare in my campaigns (and never above +2).

Other option; everyone plays a monk!

*different like fighter/wizard, and not fighter/barbarian
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  20:15:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This seems like an easy area to tweak for those who are concerned with balancing disparity between classes. The quadratic wizard could lose a lot of his advantage if his linear fighter opponent becomes effectively immune to anything magical thrown at him.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  22:10:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

This seems like an easy area to tweak for those who are concerned with balancing disparity between classes. The quadratic wizard could lose a lot of his advantage if his linear fighter opponent becomes effectively immune to anything magical thrown at him.

Yes...many fighters can arrange to nearly always make their saving throws. There are still spells that give no save or deal damage without save...but they aren't enough to outright destroy.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000