Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Collection of Orc Clan names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  16:00:37  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Heya folks, been a while. In this thread I, with a little help from my friendly scribes, will try and compile all orc clan names found in FR lore. If anyone has suggestions how to organize them after we collect the many names of orc clans in different regions. For now I'll organize them by mountain ranges and clan strength...

Let's get at it!

Clan name - region - biggest historic influence - source - clan size around 1374

The Sword Coast and the North

Clan Howltusk around the Sword Mountains north of Waterdeep, partially responcable for the destruction of Ilefarn and a great nuisance for early Waterdeep settlement. GHotR pg 90
clan strength: weakened around 300 able bodies

Clan Many-Arrows around the Spine of the World north of Mirabar, (I believe) settled the town of Ilusk (Luskan), lost Citadel of Many-Arrows in 1367 DR; and founded Kingdom of Many-Arrows & signed Treaty of Garumn's Gorge in 1372 DR - The Lone Drow, Pre.; & The Orc King, P4:C28 - ?
GHotR pg 151
clan* strength: peak strength around 70 000 able bodies
*(actually a conglomeration of clan Many Arrows, Snarrl, Red Slash, Karuhk, Wolf Jaw, Yellow Fang, Grimm and Bignance)

Tribe of Many Teeth - "" - patrol got whacked by Drizzt as the Hunter - TLD, P1:C1 & C3 - ?

Tribe Snarrl - "" - bore the shaman Arganth Snarrl, once loyal advisor to Obould - TLD, P1:C4 -?

Tribe Red Slash - "" - rose from TSOTW to join Obould, but were repelled by Drizzt, Tarathiel, & Innovindil - TLD, P3:C19 - ?

Clan Karuck - "" - clan of ogre-orcs rose from TSOTW ostensibly to join Obould, but then its leader Grguch challenged Obould (the Second Orc War?) and lost - TOK - ?; likely destroyed by Obould after the rebellion.

Tribe of the Wolf Jaw / Clan Wolf Jaw - "" - bore the chieftain Dnark, an instigator of the would-be rebellion against Obould - TOK, P1:C2 & P3:C17 - ?; likely destroyed by Obould after the rebellion

Tribe Yellow Fang - "" - bore the shaman Toogwik Tuk, another instigator of the would-be rebellion against Obould - TOK, P1:C2 & P3:C16 - almost all had been killed in the mountain ridge explosion N of Keeper's Dale.

Clan Yellowtusk - "" - attacked the Moonwood in order to provoke the elves, leading to a slaughter, including the deaths of Innovindil & Sunset - TOK, P2:C10 - likely sacrificed in the battle for the greater glory of Clan Karuck.

Clan Grimm - "" - bore Chieftain Grimsmal, loyal but belligerent advisor to King Obould; bought off with land - TOK, P1:C2 & C5 - "populous".

Tornskulls - lay claim to Dead Orc Pass - harassed adventurers in the Pass in summer, 1372 DR - Silver Marches, "Adventures in the North": p129: "Dead Orc Pass" - ?

Clan Bignance - near MH - bore Taugmaelle, female orc to be wed to a human ~1472 DR - TOK, Pre. - ?

Clan Blackclaw from the Uruth Ukrypt in the Sword Mountains north of Waterdeep, mainly a great nuisance for late Waterdeep developement. GHotR pg 115
clan strength: moderate around 800 able bodies

Clan Broken Bone from the Uruth Ukrypt in the Sword Mountains north of Waterdeep - a great nuisance for late Waterdeep developement. GHotR pg 115
clan strength: moderate around 500 able bodies

Slasher Orcs - Spine of the World, near the pass to Icewind Dale - assembly point for the first monstrous troops of Akar Kessell The Crystal Shard, P2:C10
clan strength: moderate around 500 able bodies(?)

Orcs of the Severed Tongue - "" - "" - TCSh, P2:C10.

The Dalelands

Shattered Stone Orcs - The Border Forest (Daggerdale) - allied with the Zhentarim who were making a last ditch effort to retain contol of Dagger Falls - The Return of Randal Morn pgs 24-26; A Detail of the Shattered Stone Orcs - clan strength: weakened around 50 able bodies

Anauroch

Clan Ripped Gut claim the Baraskur fortress North of the Moonpass in the Nether Mountains - as of 1371 in truce with Thousand Fists Silver Marches pg 12
clan strength: moderate around 600 able bodies

Tribe of Thousand Fists live in the cavern system South of the Moonpass in the Nether Mountains - as of 1371 in truce with Ripped Gut clan Silver Marches pg 12
clan strength: moderate around 700 able bodies

Clan Greenhaven lived in the Far Horn forest in the Ancient Netheril - as of 371 DR(?) wiped out by a troll clan
clan strength: puny or extinct perhaps about 20 descendants can trace their lineage to them

The Moonseas and Thar

Bloody Skulls(former Black Spears) - hold Bloodskull Keep in northwest Thar - caught in a 'Gruumshites vs warchief Werta' interclan conflict - Orc Tribes of Thar - clan strength: (devided and) strong 8 000 able bodies

Burning Daggers- deep caverns 20 miles south from Glister - Kossuth zealots - Orc Tribes of Thar - clan strength: moderately strong 3 000 able bodies

Shining South

Clan Candlekairn in the vulcanic Orsraun Mountains (Turmish). - . GHotR pg 90
clan strength: puny around 90 able bodies (mount Ardus' vulcanic eruption destroyed them in 517)

Onusclan are in the Osraun Chain now (as of the 1e/2e/3e era), are powerful, and led by King Highstead Vilhon Reach, pg.41. clan strength: (very) strong 5 000 to 15 000 able bodies

Orcs of the White Hand - located in the Winterwood live in the village of Shen, four miles north of the Wintercloak River. Vilhon Reach, pg.54. clan strength: moderate 250 able bodies

The Old Empires

Flaming Spike tribe in the dwarven mines of the Akanapeaks(Chessenta). FRCS pg 183
clan strength: very strong around 30 000 able bodies

Some clan names I haven't been able to place: Arauthrar, Bale Eye, Braeskull, Cold Bone, Dummik, Folgorr, Gathatchkh, Haulaeve, Horthor, Jolruth, Norglor, Lammar, Oldaggar, Red Talon, Sorok, Sormuzhik, Tailbold, Turnskull (this one's probably the same as the Tornskull clan), Ulkrunnar, Wurruva, Yultch and Zorgar FRCS page 12 and 16

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 13 Feb 2013 14:19:24

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  17:39:51  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the 2E The North Boxed set. There should be a good few orc clans in there. The 3E Silver Marches book has a bunch too.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  17:47:48  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy" and The Orc King.

Many-Arrows Tribe / Clan Many-Arrows - near Mithral Hall - lost Citadel of Many-Arrows in 1367 DR; founded Kingdom of Many-Arrows & signed Treaty of Garumn's Gorge in 1372 DR - The Lone Drow, Pre.; & The Orc King, P4:C28 - ?

Tribe of Many Teeth - "" - patrol got whacked by Drizzt as the Hunter - TLD, P1:C1 & C3 - ?

Tribe Snarrl - "" - bore the shaman Arganth Snarrl, once loyal advisor to Obould - TLD, P1:C4 -?

Tribe Red Slash - "" - rose from TSOTW to join Obould, but were repelled by Drizzt, Tarathiel, & Innovindil - TLD, P3:C19 - ?

Clan Karuck - "" - clan of ogre-orcs rose from TSOTW ostensibly to join Obould, but then its leader Grguch challenged Obould (the Second Orc War?) and lost - TOK - ?; likely destroyed by Obould after the rebellion.

Tribe of the Wolf Jaw / Clan Wolf Jaw - "" - bore the chieftain Dnark, an instigator of the would-be rebellion against Obould - TOK, P1:C2 & P3:C17 - ?; likely destroyed by Obould after the rebellion

Tribe Yellow Fang - "" - bore the shaman Toogwik Tuk, another instigator of the would-be rebellion against Obould - TOK, P1:C2 & P3:C16 - almost all had been killed in the mountain ridge explosion N of Keeper's Dale.

Clan Yellowtusk - "" - attacked the Moonwood in order to provoke the elves, leading to a slaughter, including the deaths of Innovindil & Sunset - TOK, P2:C10 - likely sacrificed in the battle for the greater glory of Clan Karuck.

Clan Grimm - "" - bore Chieftain Grimsmal, loyal but belligerent advisor to King Obould; bought off with land - TOK, P1:C2 & C5 - "populous".

Tornskulls - lay claim to Dead Orc Pass - harassed adventurers in the Pass in summer, 1372 DR - Silver Marches, "Adventures in the North": p129: "Dead Orc Pass" - ?

Clan Bignance - near MH - bore Taugmaelle, female orc to be wed to a human ~1472 DR - TOK, Pre. - ?

There was a brief list in one of the "THBT" books that mentioned something like "Severed Tongue", IIRC, but I can't find it right now. The little list above will simply have to do, for now.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 25 Jun 2012 19:34:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  03:58:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekairn are also mentioned in Vilhon Reach, pg.9, and in several other places in that timeline. They weren't always so weak.

Onusclan are in the Osraun Chain now (as of the 1e/2e/3e era), are powerful, and led by King Highstead (Vilhon Reach, pg.41).

Orcs of the White Hand - located in the Winterwood, 250 strong, live in the village of Shen, four miles north of the Wintercloak River. Vilhon Reach, pg.54.

@Bladewind - you should update your OP with all new info, to keep it current. I think this project is a great idea.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  05:29:11  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to save some time for Bladewind, in case he doesn't have a copy of Silver Marches or it isn't accessible at this time, here are the aforementioned orc clans/tribes from that book:

- The Tornskulls (as previously mentioned by BEAST)

- The Ripped Gut (pg 12)

More to come tomorrow.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  14:01:54  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clan Blackclaw from the Uruth Ukrypt in the Sword Mountains north of Waterdeep, mainly a great nuisance for late Waterdeep developement. GHotR pg 115
clan strength: moderate around 800 able bodies

Clan Broken Bone from the Uruth Ukrypt in the Sword Mountains north of Waterdeep, a great nuisance for late Waterdeep developement. GHotR pg 115
clan strength: moderate around 500 able bodies

Anyone have a clue what this Uruth crypt thingy is? A name for a holy mountain peak?

These two are orc clans that have had a recent orc horde. How many orcs would you think are left alive after the horde is defeated? And 350 years later?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Edited by - Bladewind on 27 Jun 2012 14:06:51
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  06:32:13  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orc Tribes of Thar
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drrl/20071217a

Black Spears
Bloody Skulls
Burning Daggers

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  14:53:55  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Included the Greenhaven, Black Spears, Bloody Skulls, Burning Daggers, Ripped Gut and Thousand Fists tribes.

Does the (confederation of) clan(s) from the kingdom of Vastar in the Earthspur Mountains have any name(s)? The orc king Ulbror lead his army from the vast to invade Impiltur in 512 DR.

Do the Katakoro (the humongous mountian range seperating Karatur from Faerun) house any orc clans? Would be cool to see their culture adapt aspects of both east and west, while preying upon any caravan trade along the golden way.

Another clan name is needed for the orcs in the Marching Mountains (near Calimshan) and the Rauvin Mountains (near Silver Marches).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Cyril Lokner
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  03:54:36  Show Profile Send Cyril Lokner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shattered Stone Orcs - The Border Forest (Daggerdale) - allied with the Zhentarim who were making a last ditch effort to retain contol of Dagger Falls - The Return of Randal Morn pgs 24-26 - ""

I've written quite a bit about this orc tribe, none of it cannon of course, but you shouldn't find anything that contradicts cannon though either. See the links in my signature.

A Detail of Hadreth's Glen: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11314
A Detail of the Shattered Stone Orcs: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12873
A Detail of White Chalk Hollow: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13348
A Detail of Tachepp: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13336
A Detail of the Aer Ascaltia: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17559
Cougarum: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13341
A Detail of Irythkeep http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18290

Edited by - Cyril Lokner on 12 Feb 2013 12:58:39
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2013 :  05:44:37  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally found the other clan names that I had vaguely remembered, a while back:

Slasher Orcs - Spine of the World, near the pass to Icewind Dale - assembly point for the first monstrous troops of Akar Kessell - The Crystal Shard, P2:C10.

Orcs of the Severed Tongue - "" - "" - TCSh, P2:C10.

*Phew!* I knew I had read that somewhere. It feels good to finally find it, again.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  14:20:08  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. This seems to be coming along quite fine!

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  22:42:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about all the clan/tribe names in the sidebar in the FRCS (3E) on about p.11-ish ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2013 :  00:08:44  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They haven't been located on the map as far as I know.

If I make a guess by the phonetics of the names I'd order them so:
Spine of the World
Bale Eye, Braeskull, Cold Bone, Tailbold, Wurruva and Ulkrunnar

Sword Mountains
Horthor, Jolruth, Norglor, Lammar, Yultch and Zorgar

Nether Mountains
Red Talon, Turnskull (this one's probably the same as the Tornskull clan), Oldaggar and Sormuzhik

Osraun Chains
Arauthrar, Dummik, Folgorr, Gathatchkh, Haulaeve and Sorok

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page