Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 D&D v3.5 or v4?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Branimir
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  08:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Branimir's Homepage Send Branimir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What are the Pros and Cons?
So, I recently got the v3.5 Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide and I've been learning how to make a character. I've never actually played D&D, but I've been playing the FR video games since forever and played through all of them and researched a lot of the world on the forgottenrealms.wikia. I've played (and hosted) other PnP RPGs (started a couple years ago), but I haven't found any groups who do D&D so I decided to learn it all myself and try to host one. Now, I know there's a v4, but it doesn't have Lathander which happens to be the only deity I use. My research indicates that the games take place (in order) Icewind Dale was in 1281DR, Icewind Dale 2 is 29 years later in 1310DR, and 47 years later D&D v1 Campaign takes place in 1357DR, D&D v2 Campaign is 10 years later in 1367DR, Baldur's Gate was placed a year later in 1368DR and BG2 in 1369DR, and v3/v3.5 Campaign in 1372DR along with NWN, NWN2 being in 1374. However v4 Campaign takes place a whole 107 years later in 1479DR. So my plan was to play v3.5 with my Lathander worshipping NWN2 quarter-orc barbarian (played as half-orc in NWN2 and v3.5) but when I realized that v4 gets rid of the -2 to Intelligence, it made me reconsider... I mean sure I can just take out the reduction to Int as a house rule, and I'm already considering a house rule for quarter-orcs to be +1 Str and -1 Cha, but v4 might have other important improvements. For example; NWN2 has Aasimar's and Tiefling's but D&D v3.5 does not. Does v4 have them? I'm the type of person who is generally insistent on using only the newest version of things I only refused this time because of the lack of Lathander. I would only play v4 D&D if it were possible to play the V3 Campaign. Is that possible? If so, could I play v1 and v2 Campaigns? Are there other campaigns or can I make up my own set at different points in time? I'm not sure whether campaigns need a specific set of rules or can be played on different rule sets. What do you think I should do? Get v4 and forget about v3.5? Stick with it? Or do you think an earlier version is better?

P.S.
For the record the only PnP game I'm very familiar with is Bureau 13, where the GM invented all the missions unless he had a mission book which I don't (they're not really necessary in B13). But I've played a few others, like Fringeworthy, and I don't remember the names of the rest.
So, I just asked my dad what he knew about D&D campaigns so I'd have more information before I sent this. He use to play it 20-30 years ago or so, and was the one who got me interested in Baldur's Gate when I was a kid. I just realized that D&D is not simply a game based in Toril, but rather Forgotten Realms is a single campaign of many made for D&D. But that doesn't really change anything, as I'm only interested in FR. So now I know that other campaigns and custom campaigns can be played on D&D which means I can place my characters anywhere in the timeline, but I'm still unclear whether I can play the older FR campaigns in v4 or not. Still since I'm a person who likes to play the newest version of things, now that I know I can play games using Lathander by making my own campaigns during time periods where he is around I'd prefer v4, but my dad also said that the rumor amongst his D&D friends is that v4 D&D sucks. What is bad about v4? What is the best rule set and why?

-Branimir Draek

Please check out The Church of Lathander and consider converting today. http://www.facebook.com/TheMorninglord
Contact the church to have your sins absolved today. I can perform legal weddings in the name of Lathander.

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  13:09:34  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 4th edition, Lathander was revealed to have been the ancient Netherese deity Amaunator, so he's still around. Don't let that stop you!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  13:41:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cronje

In 4th edition, Lathander was revealed to have been the ancient Netherese deity Amaunator, so he's still around. Don't let that stop you!

Lathander and Amaunator are not the same beast. The two are very different. And the 4E Amaunator is supposedly the one described in 2E, and yet doesn't fully match that lore!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  13:42:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And please, folks, let's keep this civil. We can discuss dislikes of certain editions without being disrespectful to that edition or to those who support it.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  13:59:13  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say stick with the 3e and pre-3e lore (based on your stated preferences above), and play with whatever ruleset you prefer. Many people love the simplicity of 4e. I personally, loved 3.x (3e and 3.5) and have moved on to Pathfinder (a revision of the 3.5 ruleset by Paizo, the company that used to create the Dungeon and Dragon magazines).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  14:03:02  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could ramble about rulesets and the state of the Realms in each edition, but I think I'll refrain from doing that, except to say that I favor D&D 3.5 (and Pathfinder) as a ruleset and just about anything from 1st to 3.5 edition as far as the Realms are concerned.

That said, I'll answer one of your queries. It's perfectly possible to run a 4th edition game in any period of FR's timeline. I'm currently co-DMing a 4th edition campaign set in 1375 DR, using no 4th edition Realms material. I think 4th edition carries a particular feel with it, but it's not incompatible with any incarnation of the Realms, especially if you know how to spin things to suit you better. For example, there's nothing in 4th edition that precludes someone from using Lathander in their game, and WotC's decision to remove him from the newer installment probably had nothing to do with the game rules.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 05 Jun 2012 14:06:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  14:42:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Lathander and Amaunator are not the same beast. The two are very different. And the 4E Amaunator is supposedly the one described in 2E, and yet doesn't fully match that lore!

And the 3e Risen Sun Heresy in Power of Faerūn adds a little lore-depth to this whole scenario as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Branimir
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  17:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Branimir's Homepage Send Branimir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was just in a 3 year discussion thread on this (I tagged in this year) and it is definitely debatable. It is believed by the Risen Sun heretics but I am not of the persuasion, I think Lathander is sitting back somewhere perfectly fine waiting for the Spellplague (and aftermath of perhaps) to end so he can come back. Secondly I would never worship Amaunator, he's totally different and unrelated to my beliefs in Lathander.

I thought that this part of history was already predetermined somewhere else before v4 came out? I don't blame them for it being this way because its just part of Fearunian history, not everything in history is desirable, I would however have preferred a campaign set at a different point of time. But now that I know that the FR Campaign is separate from D&D, can't they just make another campaign for v4 set at some point after the Spellplague when Lathander is back?

So I heard Pathfinder mentioned a lot, is it the general consensus that that is the best? Should I learn that instead of v3.5 or v4? Could someone tell me the race differences if any between the 3?

-Branimir Draek

Please check out The Church of Lathander and consider converting today. http://www.facebook.com/TheMorninglord
Contact the church to have your sins absolved today. I can perform legal weddings in the name of Lathander.

Edited by - Branimir on 05 Jun 2012 17:40:22
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  17:59:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go for the LORE...editions come and go...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Branimir
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  18:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Branimir's Homepage Send Branimir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

What? Do you mean Lore as in the name of something or lore as in lore? I need to know at least one edition to play it I think, but the question is which to learn.

-Branimir Draek

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  18:42:47  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Branimir

quote:

What? Do you mean Lore as in the name of something or lore as in lore? I need to know at least one edition to play it I think, but the question is which to learn.

Lore as in information for the setting.

If you want a system to learn, then get the one that is easiest for you and your gamers to have access to.

Go to Top of Page

Branimir
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  18:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Branimir's Homepage Send Branimir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you want a system to learn, then get the one that is easiest for you and your gamers to have access to.

I think its about the same amount, I can get any edition just as easily and I plan on writing a simplified character creation guide like I did with B13 for my friends to play.

-Branimir Draek

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  20:39:14  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would add another option to consider: Pathfinder. With pdfs of all books, many very reasonably priced, and an open ruleset it is probably the most economically friendly option. Even if you don't buy a single book Paizo has released all their mechanics for free under the OGL, so players won't have to buy every supplement to be able to use one or two interesting things.

The rules set is also very similar to 3.5e and the majority seem to find Pathfinder's changes from 3.5e to be, on the balance, better for the system. Of course, it's not perfect, but I would recommend giving it a try if only because it will cost you nothing to do so.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  21:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

I would add another option to consider: Pathfinder. With pdfs of all books, many very reasonably priced, and an open ruleset it is probably the most economically friendly option. Even if you don't buy a single book Paizo has released all their mechanics for free under the OGL, so players won't have to buy every supplement to be able to use one or two interesting things.

The rules set is also very similar to 3.5e and the majority seem to find Pathfinder's changes from 3.5e to be, on the balance, better for the system. Of course, it's not perfect, but I would recommend giving it a try if only because it will cost you nothing to do so.

As far as rules sets go, I second this. If you familiar with 3.5, Pathfinder takes very little time to learn. Here is a link to all of their material that they provide for free on their site. The mobile phone version of the site is very easy to use as well. And if you want to use 3.5 monsters/villains, it is really quite easy. You just treat the challenge rating (CR) of the 3.5 monster as one less when going up against Pathfinder PCs.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  21:34:30  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Honestly, I think it might be more prudent to go with 3e. The reason being, because of the OGL, the Open Gaming License, there is so many sources that use the d20 system. There's Pathfinder (the two of which I have are very, very nice) the biggest one, but there's a mind-boggling amount of other third-party books. I don't fully remember what the third-party agreements WotC had regarding 4e, but there aren't as many third-party books on the market. With 5e in development and it's release on the theoretical horizon, WotC will presumably stop developing 4e content, so outside of making up homebrew rules, or using other peoples' stuff, you'd be on your own there. Third-party sourcebooks that use the 3e rules (or a close approximation, such as Pathfinder, which is technically it's own ruleset, but so close to 3e that it's virtually the same thing) are still being published.

(Aasimar and Tieflings exist in 3e, by the way.)

-Regarding the setting, you can start anywhere and use whatever. So, that much is negligible.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 05 Jun 2012 21:36:09
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  21:57:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

I don't fully remember what the third-party agreements WotC had regarding 4e, but there aren't as many third-party books on the market.

The GSL was not nearly as friendly as the OGL, so there's a lot less 3rd party stuff for 4E. I wonder what the plan is for this, with 5E?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  22:58:40  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah, I vaguely recall that in order to get permission to make products that support the 4e ruleset, third-party companies had to sign an agreement stating that they wouldn't produce products that used the 3e ruleset, among other things.

-Who knows what they'll do, but I hope that the 5e plan is closer to the 3e model than the 4e model. Though many disagree, I think the depth of third-party products that got pumped out because of the OGL strengthened the rule system as a whole- I consider the robust amount of books for basically any and every aspect of the game a good thing, not a bad thing.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  00:32:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Yeah, I vaguely recall that in order to get permission to make products that support the 4e ruleset, third-party companies had to sign an agreement stating that they wouldn't produce products that used the 3e ruleset, among other things.

It was pretty harsh, at least in its original format -- to the point that most companies simply didn't think it was worth signing up for.

quote:

-Who knows what they'll do, but I hope that the 5e plan is closer to the 3e model than the 4e model. Though many disagree, I think the depth of third-party products that got pumped out because of the OGL strengthened the rule system as a whole- I consider the robust amount of books for basically any and every aspect of the game a good thing, not a bad thing.

I think the OGL was a brilliant manuever on WotC's part, and that it did much to strengthen RPGs as a whole.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  01:45:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I don't fully remember what the third-party agreements WotC had regarding 4e, but there aren't as many third-party books on the market.

The GSL was not nearly as friendly as the OGL, so there's a lot less 3rd party stuff for 4E. I wonder what the plan is for this, with 5E?

Perhaps Wizards will adopt something similar to the policies third-party companies have been relying on in order to develop supplementary game material for the PATHFINDER setting.

I know that's largely an expansion of the original OGL, but I'm growing confident that Wizards are now making efforts to enact a more user-friendly policy with both their consumer base and third-part companies. So maybe we'll see an entirely revised OGL come into play, rather than the more vague dictates of the GSL.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  01:47:21  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can use any ruleset with any setting or period of the Realms, though some combinations would require a little conversion work, or have arguably better or worse synergy.

4E isn't a newer version of 3E, it's a different system designed by different people, with different design philosophies, and plays differently. Much bigger differences than racial ability modifiers. For the Realms' native 'roleplaying over rules' style, Ed Greenwood uses 2E and I probably would in a new campaign. None of these is 'better' in any universal sense.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  03:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer the OP, you should really just use whichever rule set most appeals to you. Try out both 3.5 and 4e and see which one is easier, more fun, and more what you want to play. It's really that simple.

Me, I play both 3.5e and 4e, though I honestly prefer 4e for most of the games I DM. It's easier, for one thing, and much more conducive to my free-form campaigns (in terms of crafting monsters and RP/social challenges). My players have consistently been much more pleased playing 4e than 3e.

There's far less math involved, particularly if you use the character builder, and it's much more economical if you're content to use the online stuff. If you subscribe to DDI, you basically get every mechanic WotC has released for 4e, though you'll have to buy the hard copy books separately.

Don't take this to mean I have anything but affection for Pathfinder. It's a fun game with great art and LOTS of sweet lore available for it. You should really just make your own choice about what game works better for what you want at the table.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 06 Jun 2012 03:31:59
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  04:35:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want simple, consider your basic needs for the game you want to play:

4e
Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monstrous Tome

Pathfinder
One book: Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual

AD&D Second
Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monstrous Compendium

AD&D
Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual

All are about the same in terms of books (with Pathfinder the sole exception) and so it really comes down to how easy it is for you to get the books you want.

If you want to play 4e or Pathfinder, just about any store has them.

If you want to play 3.5, AD&D2 or AD&D you will either have to buy them from someone who owns them, from online like Ebay, or wait until the AD&D books are released in July.

Since you ALREADY HAVE the 3.5 books...I think your search is over. By the by, 3.5 DOES have Aasimar and Tiefling characters...and you can get the 3.5 Forgotten Realms Campaign book EASILY.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  15:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

4e
Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monstrous Tome

Pathfinder
One book: Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual

AD&D Second
Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monstrous Compendium

AD&D
Player's Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual

All are about the same in terms of books (with Pathfinder the sole exception) and so it really comes down to how easy it is for you to get the books you want.

If you want to play 3.5, AD&D2 or AD&D you will either have to buy them from someone who owns them, from online like Ebay, or wait until the AD&D books are released in July.

Since you ALREADY HAVE the 3.5 books...I think your search is over. By the by, 3.5 DOES have Aasimar and Tiefling characters...and you can get the 3.5 Forgotten Realms Campaign book EASILY.

I would amend your list to include the Pathfinder Bestiary, but yes, all of the GM and Player rules you truly need are in the Core Rulebook.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  16:06:27  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also add that Pathfinder is the only option of the various sources that releases their main mechanical books(Core book, Ultimate Combat and Magic, Bestiaries 1-3) as $9.99 pdfs if you are unable to afford the full book. Also, if even that breaks your bank, you can use the online resources of Pathfinder and get all the mechanics from their various books for free.

Most awesome to me, as DM, is the fact that all NPCs, both generic and specific, from their books are listed in CR order at d20pfsrd.com. So as a DM, if I don't have the time to make a few enemies from scratch, I can just grab a couple already made NPCs and make some minor changes to fit my needs. Also, though I have bought most of the books(on pdf if not in hardcover) my players don't feel obligated to buy each book just to use one or two cool ideas from it, they can just use the free pathfinder srd.
Go to Top of Page

Branimir
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  20:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Branimir's Homepage Send Branimir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, heard a lot of pros and cons on things, but I feel like I need to go through them all myself still... which makes this thread less productive than I hoped.

quote:

-Truncated-

I figured the mass would be about the same, I'm looking for the rule set I'll enjoy the most before I bother learning any, I don't care how many books I need. My dad has everything previous to v3, along with a lot of other gaming stuff that fills up that entire books shelf in his living room, so I could check those out if I thought it would be worthwhile. I only have the pdf of the v3.5 Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, not the Monster Manual or anything else. As for Aasimar's and Tiefling's existing in 3.5, I do not see them in the Player's Handbook... Where can I get the v3.5 Campaign?

-Branimir Draek

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  20:40:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

I would amend your list to include the Pathfinder Bestiary, but yes, all of the GM and Player rules you truly need are in the Core Rulebook.

TRUE! That is what I get for making the list quickly and with little sleep yesterday...seven kids, two dogs, and a wife are wearing me out!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 06 Jun 2012 20:44:07
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  20:43:28  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Branimir

I figured the mass would be about the same, I'm looking for the rule set I'll enjoy the most before I bother learning any, I don't care how many books I need. My dad has everything previous to v3, along with a lot of other gaming stuff that fills up that entire books shelf in his living room, so I could check those out if I thought it would be worthwhile. I only have the pdf of the v3.5 Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, not the Monster Manual or anything else. As for Aasimar's and Tiefling's existing in 3.5, I do not see them in the Player's Handbook... Where can I get the v3.5 Campaign?

For the Forgotten Realms, you can find both Tieflings and Aasimar in the 3rd Edition D&D "Races of Faerun" along with many other races!

Specifically, Aasimar are on page 112 and Tieflings are on page 125.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  21:24:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My advice, hit your local hobby shop or comic book store, network, and play a game or three. You will quickly discover the aspects you enjoy most. It's not a matter of having the "latest" version, it's about what's fun for you. Everything else is finesseable.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 06 Jun 2012 21:26:05
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  21:45:29  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5 ...of course!!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  22:07:25  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally agree with you, BAR... but it's not a matter of promoting our favorite system, it's a personal choice based on play-style. What some enjoy, others will not. And don't for a moment think that TSR/WotC is the only system out there, Branimir. Ask around you'll find many who prefer other rule-sets. Who's to say, you might too.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  22:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. Fellfire has the right of it.

We don't want to steer you wrong. Ultimately, you should play the one that seems most comfortable to you.

D&D runs the Encounters series at local gaming stores--you might do a google search to see if a nearby store runs it. You can check out 4e pretty easily that way.

Paizo runs lots of Pathfinder events, so that would be a way to check out 3.5/PFRPG.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000