Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ed and the next FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  05:22:22  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This article is quite intriguing. I thought i'd share it here.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/bookwyrms/20120605

It seems Ed will be very involved in the next version of the realms.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  05:32:28  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed at the helm of the ship? Totally stoked if that's gonna be the case!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  10:49:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds very promising...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  11:59:54  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be great is Ed was heading up the development of the next version of FR. My Fingers are crossed.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  12:11:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"...in some ways the Realms has veered away from Ed's original vision."

-And they realized that just now? Oh well, better late than never.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  13:03:25  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

"...in some ways the Realms has veered away from Ed's original vision."

-And they realized that just now? Oh well, better late than never.

That's not really fair, Dennis . They are acknowledging the issue and are taking steps to correct it. This didn't happen today, or this week.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  13:20:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess now I can mention that Ed himself told me that he's very pleased with how Wizards is approaching the Realms now. He couldn't offer any further info (and I'd not share without his OK, anyway), but him saying that was enough to give me hope.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  14:09:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if Ed is in charge than things will be better.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  14:10:01  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is best for Wizbro to let the creator of Forgotten Realms all alone to decide the future of Faerun .....

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  14:33:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Ed Greenwood is the Realms."

'Nuff said!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  14:37:38  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I guess now I can mention that Ed himself told me that he's very pleased with how Wizards is approaching the Realms now. He couldn't offer any further info (and I'd not share without his OK, anyway), but him saying that was enough to give me hope.

With that quote from a very wise hamster, I'm willing to say I'm 90% sure I'll switch to DnDNext. Provided, of course, the boat doesn't veer too far off its present course. I liked the playtest so far, so the rules don't bother me. From a guy who is so horrible at learning gaming systems he swore he'd never change from 3E even if something better came along simply due to the headache of learning a new system, that means a lot.
I was leary of the lore... but with this, even if they keep things and move on, I'm sure Ed will give me something I'll enjoy.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  15:08:54  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. It does sound like they are listening to us (this, along with comments from the Brothers James and Erik stating that the current Realms design team is much more Realms friendly, gives me a good feeling about the Realms to come ). That does not mean that I will be switching rules sets again, but I will most likely start purchasing Realms products again.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 05 Jun 2012 15:10:51
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  15:21:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The recognition of the published setting's drift from its own nature and the move to rectify it is very welcome. The front-and-centre placement of Elminster in the news -- part of that same drift -- seems an unforced misstep.
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  15:52:57  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

"Ed Greenwood is the Realms."

'Nuff said!

You forgot the rest of the line... :)

"The pantheon of other authors writing in the Realms are also the Realms. And hey, you're the Realms as well."

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  16:57:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Ed is at the helm of the boat, I hope they assemble a grood crew to run the ship. There are parts of the Realms that are awesome because other designers have written and expanded those parts, so give him the best team possible I say.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  17:21:39  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just lost my bladder...

Seriously though, I'm so interested in knowing what will be offered now!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  18:33:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is some damn sexy news.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  18:50:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's really good news. Maybe Wizards will bring on board some of the great loremasters of the 2E era too. Definitely stoked about this. If Ed is driving the ship, he needs a pirate hat!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  20:14:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh... you mean like Erik Boyd? {smirk}

Perhaps his recent re-participation isn't so 'innocent' after all. One can only hope.

All we need now is Steven Schend, and I can honestly say I think the new Realms (I won't say "the 5e Realms" - that associates it with the rules too much, me thinks, and its supposed to be edition-neutral from what we understand) will be very much like the old realms, and thats pure win IMHO.

So there shouldn't be an 'old realms', or a '4e realms', and certainly NOT a 5e realms...

There should ONLY be The Forgotten Realms, in all its glory.

And now THAT sounds suspiciously like Eric's thread...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jun 2012 20:16:00
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  20:48:08  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, Boyd, Schend, I'm sure there's a few others I can't think of at the moment, but lot of good loremasters from the 2E days. :)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  20:52:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-A Forgotten Realms with Ed Greenwood as one of the primary active designers, with the staff and resources that WotC has to offer is a good thing.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  21:15:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lets not forget GK and 'the James Gang'.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  21:50:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And Gray Richardson.

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  23:29:50  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they've certainly got my attention now. :D

Color me interested!

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 05 Jun 2012 23:30:08
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  00:36:53  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For 5E Realms design? Just Ed, please.

He doesn't need a team adding their individual "creative" input. Too many cooks will spoil the soup.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  00:43:35  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the Next Realms :)

quote:

Oh... you mean like Erik Boyd? {smirk}

Perhaps his recent re-participation isn't so 'innocent' after all. One can only hope.

All we need now is Steven Schend, and I can honestly say I think the new Realms (I won't say "the 5e Realms" - that associates it with the rules too much, me thinks, and its supposed to be edition-neutral from what we understand) will be very much like the old realms, and thats pure win IMHO.

So there shouldn't be an 'old realms', or a '4e realms', and certainly NOT a 5e realms...

There should ONLY be The Forgotten Realms, in all its glory.

And now THAT sounds suspiciously like Eric's thread...

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  00:50:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great news.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  01:25:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Yep, Boyd, Schend, I'm sure there's a few others I can't think of at the moment, but lot of good loremasters from the 2E days. :)

Jeff Grubb, mainly.

In fact, bringing most of the old Lorelords of the 2e-era would be nice. Nothing long-term, since they're mostly all likely engaged with other projects these days. But it would be neat to have a kind of FORGOTTEN REALMS-lore reunion whereupon those who have so shaped the setting in the past, come together again for this product.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  01:26:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd like to see Erik Scott de Bie included as well. His skill at weaving game-supportive lore is largely integral to the style and scope of the setting these days.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  01:32:44  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could it be that the CK gathering at the GenCon will unveil something about this?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  03:11:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I have to go, even if I gotta walk the whole way.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000