Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Gulthmere Queries: More Unknown Locales
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2012 :  19:39:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
On the FRIA maps, I see a town of Gurnth near a smallish mountain called Machran Spire - anyone have any idea where this is from? I would assume a novel - maybe the Harpers?

Another (related?) place within the Gulthmere is Krigala Gate - what the heck is that? (YES, I know its a gate... I get THAT part...)

I also note Karsus' Keep - I am assuming here that is the place that is touched-upon in the Elminster trilogy/omnibus? I no longer have The Annotated Elminster - perhaps those other locales are also associated with that story?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated - mapping without all my sources has become extremely difficult. HERE is a screenshot of what I am looking at in the FRIA.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 31 May 2012 19:57:31

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2012 :  20:07:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe I stuck it in there, but I don't recall why. (I had a huge list of obscure lore I kept feeding to the developer of the 3rd patch.)

My best guess is that it's buried in Prayers for the Faithful, but that's just a guess. Ed stuck a lot of new places in that fantastic tome.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

On the FRIA maps, I see a town of Gurnth near a smallish mountain called Machran Spire - anyone have any idea where this is from? I would assume a novel - maybe the Harpers?

Another (related?) place within the Gulthmere is Krigala Gate - what the heck is that? (YES, I know its a gate... I get THAT part...)

I also note Karsus' Keep - I am assuming here that is the place that is touched-upon in the Elminster trilogy/omnibus? I no longer have The Annotated Elminster - perhaps those other locales are also associated with that story?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated - mapping without all my sources has become extremely difficult. HERE is a screenshot of what I am looking at in the FRIA.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 30 May 2012 20:18:49
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2012 :  20:30:09  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Another (related?) place within the Gulthmere is Krigala Gate - what the heck is that? (YES, I know its a gate... I get THAT part...

Well, do you know that Krigala is one of the planes of the Beastlands, right? Planescape stuff, it is the eternal day plane, IIRC (the plane with diurnal animals).

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2012 :  21:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The village of Gurnth is from Vilhon Reach (DM's book p. 16, player's book p. 8).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2012 :  23:24:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys - I think that about covers it.

@Eric - Their are hidden chunks of lore-gold in everything everything written by Ed.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 May 2012 23:24:36
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  02:18:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have I mentioned Nobanion's dominion in 2e was located in Krigala?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  18:21:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assumed as much.

NEW Question: Is Westgate actually at the mouth of the River Thunn?

Nevermind. Although I couldn't find it in any text description, a map of the city clearly show the river running THROUGH it.

Edited by - Markustay on 31 May 2012 23:59:29
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  04:39:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I assumed as much.

NEW Question: Is Westgate actually at the mouth of the River Thunn?

Nevermind. Although I couldn't find it in any text description, a map of the city clearly show the river running THROUGH it.

It seems like a rather TINY river eh?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000