Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Five Shires of the Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  07:27:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...but Turmish is IN the Vilhon...so perhaps on the Dragon Coast or modern Chessenta? Near enough to Unther; but I would like to tie it closer...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  15:35:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually thinking Sespech, but I asked Ed in his thread, so we will see what we will see.

Its really not necessary to tie it in, unless he was in Turmish. I consider The Gulthmere more of a 'Dragoncoast' thing then a 'Vilhon' thing.

Corrected Cormyr, found a lighthouse, and placed the necrognome (so you can run the adventure in Dungeon #80 if you want). I had to create one town over between Cormyr and Sembia to get the map (from that adventure) to work - I'm still awaiting Ed to give me an official name (for over a year now). In other words, the town is canon, the name is not (which doesn't matter since it burned).

Edit: Also, you mentioned in an earlier post about the size of the Five Shires - I had matched the size as perfectly as I could to the canon Five Shires in Mystara, so that size is canon (just not in The Realms).

I only just thought of this now because as I fill Cormyr with locales, I wish I had more room, and I am so glad we didn't opt to shrink-up the Shires (you can see how crowded the map looks as-is).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jun 2012 16:24:57
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  18:09:51  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I was actually thinking Sespech, but I asked Ed in his thread, so we will see what we will see.

Its really not necessary to tie it in, unless he was in Turmish. I consider The Gulthmere more of a 'Dragoncoast' thing then a 'Vilhon' thing.

Corrected Cormyr, found a lighthouse, and placed the necrognome (so you can run the adventure in Dungeon #80 if you want). I had to create one town over between Cormyr and Sembia to get the map (from that adventure) to work - I'm still awaiting Ed to give me an official name (for over a year now). In other words, the town is canon, the name is not (which doesn't matter since it burned).

Edit: Also, you mentioned in an earlier post about the size of the Five Shires - I had matched the size as perfectly as I could to the canon Five Shires in Mystara, so that size is canon (just not in The Realms).

I only just thought of this now because as I fill Cormyr with locales, I wish I had more room, and I am so glad we didn't opt to shrink-up the Shires (you can see how crowded the map looks as-is).

I LIKE how big it is in Faerun...I wasn't aware of how big it was in comparison though.

Everything is starting to come together...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  03:30:28  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<bump>

@MT: are your perfectionist ways holding back a completed map sir?

As soon as I have it, I can put it all together!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  03:24:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry - with Summer vacation started I get my boys all the time now, and I haven't got much computer time.

Its nearly complete - I'm just tweaking a few things and laying river names now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  13:51:23  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry - with Summer vacation started I get my boys all the time now, and I haven't got much computer time.

Its nearly complete - I'm just tweaking a few things and laying river names now.

Ah yes...the shared family time. I have seven children in my home full time now...I can relate!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  19:07:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Latest WIp.

Its getting real close now.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  21:40:32  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Latest WIp.

I think you forgot to label Marsember.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  00:05:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Latest WIp.

Looking pretty sweet!

Got myself all worked up now! I had no idea there were so many locations on that small part of Cormyr! Makes Sembia look like a desolate wasteland! lol

I like the addition of the Achelos woods by the way.

The last thing I need from ya MT is what "your take" on the lay of the land is. Just a brief overview, and then I'll hammer out about 5k words a day til I'm done!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2012 :  14:12:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every time I place anything, I think about it, so I will have plenty for you this time out. I'm going to do a Gazeteer-style thing for the surrounding region (just small things not covered in official sources, or things that need modifying for this conversion).

I changed Mar to Marl - we already had a 'Mar' down around the Lake of Steam. Hope you like 'Backwash' - it was a choice between that or 'Backwater', and smaller names are easier for me (Mouth O' Gargoyles? WTH!!!)

I decided to modify all the names that I 'lifted' from elsewhere - even the ones from the lands surrounding Five Shires (like 'Blight' became 'Blighted'). I had a little problem with Collinwood - which became canon - and I don't want that to happen again. In other words, I don't want some future official cartographer to use my maps and then accidentally use someone else's Intellectual Property. Thus, we now have Phlorin and Gilldur instead.

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Latest WIp.

Actually, I just forgot to turn that layer on.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to label the rivers in Cormyr... busy place.

'Griff' is a placeholder name, until Ed gives me one - I had asked him about that Dragon #80 adventure sometime ago. The map is an amalgam of various editions, so things don't always fall out correctly - that town probably should have been Nolin (which is canon), but either way I was a town short from the Dragon #80 adventure, so it was easier to just fudge things there. Regardless, it is a ruin after that adventure takes place (if you wanted to run it, its still a town when your campaign starts). The other towns were rebuilt (I will have notes on everything).

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jun 2012 14:13:45
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  00:52:39  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a beautiful map.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Actually, I just forgot to turn that layer on.

Should have figured.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  02:32:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He just plain kicks ass doesn't he!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  17:29:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Latest WIp.

Mt Andrus, not Mt Anorus.

I was also a fan of Ironfang Keep being Ironfang Deep to differentiate it from the Moonsea version ...

Looks awesome though. Great stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  17:48:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and to be a further pain ... from Polyhedron #96:

The Scarbarlatine

Of old, a realm of pirates and fisherfolk flourished in the northerly coastal regions of what is now Turmish. This land of Scabarla turned its attention to the sea and so expanded west and south into the dense forests of the day only slowly.

When expansion did occur it provoked raids from the satyrs and other woodland denizens. And then a war began that ultimately destroyed both sides.

Scabarla's piracy earned it no friends and many enemies, and in the end the Scarbarlatine found themselves attacked from the sea by men, harried by monstrous creatures inland, and worn down by a decade of severe winters.

One spring more than 500 years ago, the last survivors fled, leaving behind only stone walls and buildings. Today, a few of these ruins survive in the northerly coastal reaches of Turmish: a port whose harbour is almost entirely silted up, several walled towns, and two villages.

These ruins (plus the occasional isolated tower or mound of collapsed stone) are collectively known as "the Scarbarlatine" for the folk who built them. During the past 400 or so years, they've been rebuilt and inhabited by successive waves of visitors, restless Turmishan experimenters, and folk who dream of things being more as in Sembia, Cormyr, or wherever else they fancy.

Enjoy!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  18:09:58  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a really awesome map.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  18:13:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks George!

Its kinda funny that MT added that swamp there! Also, I think I can work around your found lore and make it a nice addition to The Five Shires history!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  17:06:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the praise guys - it really does help keep me motivated.

George - that is SO bizarre, because I was going to say their are various ruins in that swamp!

I was going to include them as part of the 'original Hin settlements' in the NE corner of the Shires (mostly abandoned - its a harsh, windswept semi-moor that has especially bitter winters), but Scabarla works better! We could still say their are old Hin settlements in that region, right up to (and partially into) the swamp, but the swamp itself has swallowed-up Scabarla proper.

Also, we need to do a little sumthin-sumthin with Prespur - it doesn't really really work with the teeny bit of FR canon we have. I'm thinking about resurrecting a small enclave of the 'ancient giant kingdom' that once ruled the region of the SoFS. They'd be Spacesea Giants (an offshoot of Stone Giants from SJ, but this group doesn't Spelljam). If you've ever read the Thomas Covenent series, I'd be going for a Seareach Giants vibe. Denning (and others) have spun Stone Giants that way - as the deep-thinkers of giantkind - and it would be kinda cool to have giantish sailors as a counter-point to the tiny Hin (Halfling pirates DO NOT attack Prespur Runeships, and the giants have an odd fondness for the small folk).

I was thinking of calling them Farsea Giants, but I'm not sure if I want to use the same name as the swamp (although that would add another level of mystery). Perhaps 'Starsea Giants' might be better, and call their port something like Titansreach (originally Titan's Reach). I'd also have to make everything jibe with what little lore we have, like the Prespur Portal.

There'd also be a very loose connection between them and the Smeegull lighthouse. Most folks think the ancient (and still operating!) lighthouse is of Halfling origin, but the few people who have bothered to investigate (its not easy to reach) have found the place built to huge proportions (21' high doorways and 2' high steps). The light itself is a colossal gem that glows with a brilliant radiance (its actually a portal to the plane of radiance... just like the gems in the Crystal sphere). Even the strange, goblin-like hermit of the island seems to avoid the place (the architecture is very similar to that of Ironfang Keep - the Moonsea one).

And thank you for bringing up that 'coincidental' name... I have plans for that as well.

There are other things in the Malfekki swamp, and both swamps are very different from one-another. I have more ruins planned as well.

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jun 2012 19:01:16
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  17:33:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a heads up all:

I've taken a foul turn...had a bad siezure last night. I'll be back, but I'm taking a few days away to rest and regather my strength.

Keep trucking along MT...doing a great job! Map is frickin' awesome to say the least considering you have enabled me to have exactly what I wanted, as well as show everyone that you can spin the Forgotten Realms almost any way you like if you take the time and effort to mesh it all together right!

For now, I'll talk to you guys later.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  20:29:32  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure that Perilous Portals article is consistent with the extant Realmslore on Prespur of the Covenant. In Ed's campaign was the island named for the latter? (George, do you recall?)

There's also lore on the Isle of Prespur in Sea of Fallen Stars, in Pirates of the Fallen Stars, and (I think) in one of Paul Kemp's novels. (I could be completely wrong on that last one.)

quote:

I was thinking of calling them Farsea Giants, but I'm not sure if I want to use the same name as the swamp (although that would add another level of mystery). Perhaps 'Starsea Giants' might be better, and call their port something like Titansreach (originally Titan's Reach). I'd also have to make everything jibe with what little lore we have, like the Prespur Portal.

--
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  20:57:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dalor, sorry to hear about your health. Just take care of yourself and worry about the Realms when you feel better.

@Eric - Paul Kemp's first Everis Cale series ended on the Wayrock - you may be thinking of that.

I'm trying to get names for as many locales as possible... how 'canon' is The Great Khan Game? Not much lore on the Whamites, and what little we have doesn't make a lot of sense (the islands had a Khan?!)

Also, I have been going through the Sea of Fallen Stars sources all day (both of them) - just learned there is a community of halflings on Kelthann, which is a good tie-in for this project.

I think I can spin ALL of the Prespur lore together into something decent and coherent, along with the giants I'd like to add. You see, Prespur (the Netherese mage) didn't create the portal... he found it. This is why he was there - to study it. Its an ancient Portal dating back to the time of the "Great Ones of the Inner Sea" (the fallen giant kingdom). I've even managed to fold the Unseelie Nymph into things by 'layering' the lore into the editions it appears in (in other words, things change over time). Not that I like that lore much (even an Unseelie wood nymph wouldn't obliterate her home!), but it is what it is, and I try to work with what we got.

The fact that the Luruth portal actually dates back to that time (the draconic empires overlapped with those of the giants) is just pure win. There's a whole 'follow the clues' mystery/story-arc in there for anyone who wants to use it.

Anyone else notice how many references to stars there are in Turmish?

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jun 2012 21:10:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2012 :  22:31:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm trying to get names for as many locales as possible... how 'canon' is The Great Khan Game? Not much lore on the Whamites, and what little we have doesn't make a lot of sense (the islands had a Khan?!)

There's at least one reference in the printed Grand History, and several mentions in Sea of Fallen Stars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Jun 2012 22:32:05
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  02:04:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

There's at least one reference in the printed Grand History, and several mentions in Sea of Fallen Stars.

And it's a briefly featured locale in Mel Odom's Sea Devil's Eye novel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  04:41:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of those series I read and barely remember. {sigh}

Didn't get much done, but I had a lot of fun with research. Reading old realmslore is always a hoot.

Found a village in Featherdale - not that it effects this map - but it goes on my (new) list of 'lost locales'. Also two ruined 'cities' (I use that term loosely, as did 2e sources) in Turmish. Three, technically, but one was rebuilt (Dauntshield). Like I said, always something new to discover in the Realms.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jun 2012 04:43:33
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  18:34:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know anything about Felthaeran - a ruin on the southern coast of the Vilhon Reach? (near Samra)

It doesn't come-up in any of my searches.

Just added the Whamites... ugh

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2012 :  03:10:06  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has given input on this...its very nice to see so much go into this tribute game. I've decided to run it first instead of my Greyhawk game...such is my admiration for not only Ed Greenwood; but all you folks too!

Quick stop by...see you all soon.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  00:22:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking for the info on Nobanion, I went back through the thread, and realized I missed this post -
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The capital city of Shaerdon (The Five Shires):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10166328/City%20of%20Shireton.bmp

As you can see...I did a LOT of work on that one!

@MT: I think on the main map, if you decide to give it a name; it should be something akin to "Realm of Shaerdon" instead of "The Five Shires"...it makes it feel more Realmsy...what do you think?

EDIT: the map will be going through some more modifications of course...people in the Realms might wonder "Where in the hell is Thyatis?"
Maybe 'Thyatis' is the Hin name for Thay?

I had been considering changing the name of the Five Shires to Shaerdon on the map - consider it done!

Oh.. and one more THING...

Not sure if Photobucket shrunk that - I'll E-Mail you the file (once you decide if you want to add more numbers to the city, that is).

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jun 2012 00:23:41
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  00:52:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that man! I've actually decided NOT to add anything else to the city key. It will allow individuals that want to use this to add what they want instead of forcing something on them.

Always wonderful working with ya MT!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  23:52:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I plan the same treatment for all the 5S maps, to avoid confusion. You gonna do a conversion, you might as well do it right.

That took me just over a 1/2 hr - I would have gotten it done sooner (there is a super-simple way of doing that using layers), but 'Barbican' was a REAL PitA (its the only word that falls out on two different colors). I had to take that apart one pixel at a time.

I've decided that the Five Shires is staying there in my own Realms - I'm ditching Luiren in favor of it (might make Luiren a very minor Halfling realms somewhere... we'll see...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  00:38:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I plan the same treatment for all the 5S maps, to avoid confusion. You gonna do a conversion, you might as well do it right.

That took me just over a 1/2 hr - I would have gotten it done sooner (there is a super-simple way of doing that using layers), but 'Barbican' was a REAL PitA (its the only word that falls out on two different colors). I had to take that apart one pixel at a time.

I've decided that the Five Shires is staying there in my own Realms - I'm ditching Luiren in favor of it (might make Luiren a very minor Halfling realms somewhere... we'll see...

SWEET! I'm doing the same. Luiren is a "fantasy" land of Halflings in my own Forgotten Realms now. Sort of like a Halfling "Evermeet"...but it isn't really there!

I'm excited to see this finished product chief. Been a rough week for me, can't wait to get back into this project. In the midst of all this, we are moving across the river to the "good side" of the Radford VA area this week...so I may be another week on the mend and before getting back here full time.

Maybe you can tease me with your "Forgotten Realms Monster Map" eh?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  00:48:34  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its real raw now (Not RAW, just raw... I haven't bothered to 'feather the edges' of all the mixed terrain yet) and its still amazing, if I do say so myself.

Lets put it this way - I looked at it when all I did was paste the Swordcoast in as the right side of the eastern reach (just for S&G), and started erasing the terrain I didn't want there (my usual method for this sort of thing). I was less then halfway through and I was like, "oh....... WOW".

Thats what prompted me to then move the (now covered) eastern Eastern Reach to the Swordcoast. After that, I was in love. I may have to marry this map. If the rest works out anything like what I have already done, then I think my purpose in life will finally be fulfilled (other then making my kids).

This thing just makes people want to start playing FR all over again. But hey... that's always my intent, eh?

I think the designers/authors can forgive my Frankenstein version if it helps double their sales.

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jul 2012 20:43:08
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000