Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Simbul 3.5 Stats
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dranian
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  22:14:26  Show Profile  Visit dranian's Homepage Send dranian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,

I was wondering if I could humbly inquire as to if anyone has a legitimately powerful version of the Simbul in 3.5 (I've seen other forums discussing versions of her with the Ultimate Magus PrC; I also couldn't find one courtesy of Green_Giant_02 over on the WOtC forums). I know this particular request must be rather trite; however, I would very much appreciate a link in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch!

Until swords part,

"To thine own self be true..."

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  22:38:08  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I the only published version I know of is on page 296 of the Epic Level Handbook.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2012 :  03:15:20  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

I the only published version I know of is on page 296 of the Epic Level Handbook.

quote:Originally posted by Hawkins

Is that the version capable of dropping a mountain top on hundreds of Pitfiends in Hell and thereby squashing them in one fell swoop?

Edited by - jordanz on 22 May 2012 06:11:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2012 :  04:53:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:

Is that the version capable of dropping a mountain top of hundreds of Pitfiends in Hell and Squashing them in one fell swoop?

Indeed! Demonic Mountain Splatter is one of her feats. And she gets to take 20 when doing it, too!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

dranian
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2012 :  04:54:00  Show Profile  Visit dranian's Homepage Send dranian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Is that the version capable of dropping a mountain top of hundreds of Pitfiends in Hell and Squashing them in one fell swoop?

Unfortunately not, I'm afraid, and therein lies the rub. I feel that the stats in the ELH grossly atrophy her power to a point far below what fans would expect of the most iconic sorceress of the realms. Applying the "Magic Rating" variant helps bring up her canon stat power a bit (as it does with many of the Seven Sisters).

Anyhow, I'd love to see another brew if there's one out there.

Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2012 :  06:08:25  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dranian

quote:

quote:

Unfortunately not, I'm afraid, and therein lies the rub. I feel that the stats in the ELH grossly atrophy her power to a point far below what fans would expect of the most iconic sorceress of the realms. Applying the "Magic Rating" variant helps bring up her canon stat power a bit (as it does with many of the Seven Sisters).

Anyhow, I'd love to see another brew if there's one out there.

Well all jests aside, I think Mystra juiced her up for that. I mean that was a "godly" feat if you ask me.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2012 :  14:22:36  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too got the idea while reading ElmInHell that the Simbul's sojourn to rescue Elminster was aided by Mystra directly and boosted her power considerably for the task (as well as Halastar's sanity for his fight). Good question for Ed tho?
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2012 :  21:04:24  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well maybe you like this one
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/96983-alassra-silverhand-simbul.html
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  00:43:39  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a 32-level version that came out a lot better than her representation in the ELH (which is criminally underpowered, even if it does have Epic Spellcasting). It mostly used existing rules, too, while Jaerom's version (from the ENWorld link above) adds in some houserule-related material.

I'll dig around and see if I can find it.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  01:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Epic Spellcasting feat and her +31 Spellcraft alone allow scope for most of the feats we've seen of her, without accounting for cricumstatial boons(such as Mystra/chosen bonuses) that may have been in place. It is certainly possible to construct Epic spells that fall within her Spellcraft range to acheive such acts.

It is hard to distinguish the subtle increments of skill and power from Ed's depictions but having DM'd a few epic wizard adventures...I'd say her powers portrayed are definately within the range I expect given her stats. The difference between an epic-level character like The Simbul and even a wizard in their teens (level-wise) can appear as a god-like gulf often.

That said, the designers (as is often the case) like to stick fairly close to the core rules systems...rarely pulling on the full wealth of feats/spells/powers that are spread across the sourcebooks. So although level-wise someone like The Simbul may be appropiate there is often many more fitting abilities/builds that can and should be used.

Though it is quite a task to wade through the many disparate books and lore to construct an accurate enough combination that I can see why the designers normaly play it safe.

Erik Scott de Bie and Tom Costa's Fox-at-Twilight build is perhaps one of the best examples of how complex and developed these characters would be if designed with the deepest care and resources available. Something a lot of us would love but probably very unhelpful for most players and definately very time-consuming/labour-intensive for the designer.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10646

Great effort though.

Edit: The stats, along with others, are also hosted here http://www.candlekeep.com/library/lore.htm at Candlekeep under The Fox and the Dispossessed, Part 1 (The Fox-at-Twilight).

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms

Edited by - Eli the Tanner on 23 May 2012 01:54:01
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  03:05:47  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Simbul, Chosen of Mystra CR 36
Female Human Sorcerer 13/Wizard 7/Ultimate Magus 10/Archmage 2
CN Medium Humanoid (human)
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft., detect magic, see invisibility; Listen +4, Spot +14
Languages Aglarondan, Common, Damaran, Draconic, Elven, Mulhorandi, Sylvan
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 27, touch 17, flat-footed 23 (+4 Dex, +10 armor, +3 deflection)
hp 369 (32 HD)
Immune magic missile, misdirection, fireball, ice storm, feeblemind, circle of death, finger of death, maze, meteor swarm; ageless; Chosen immunities
Fort +20, Ref +16, Will +25; +5 sacred bonus against spells, spell-like effects, and supernatural abilities; +8 resistance against spells and spell-like abilities
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee +5 dagger +20/+15 (1d4+7/19-20)
Base Atk +15; Grp +17
Atk Options mastery of elements
Special Actions augmented casting 8/day, silver fire
Combat Gear potion of cure serious wounds (10th) x4, major ring of spell storing (clairaudience/clairvoyance, identify, true seeing), ring of shooting stars, staff of passage (50 charges), wand of lightning bolt (10th) (20 charges), wand of magic missile (9th) (20 charges)
Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 27th):
9th (8/day)–the Simbul’s spell trigger, the Simbul’s synostodweomer, time stop, wish
8th (6/day)–mass charm monster (DC 32), mind blank, polymorph any object (DC 33), sunburst (DC 33)
7th (7/day)–limited wish, prismatic spray (DC 32), the Simbul’s spell sequencer
6th (8/day)–chain lightning (DC 31), control weather, disintegrate (+19 ranged touch, DC 31)
5th (7/day)–feeblemind (DC 29), telekinesis (DC 30), teleport, wall of force
4th (8/day)–backlash (DC 29), charm monster (DC 28), fire shield, shout (DC 29)
3rd (8/day)–dispel magic, fireball (DC 28), fly, wind wall
2nd (9/day)–alter self, cat’s grace, daylight, shatter (DC 27), web (DC 26)
1st (9/day)–burning hands (DC 26), comprehend languages, enlarge person (DC 26), feather fall, magic missile
0 (6/day)–arcane mark, dancing lights, detect magic, flare (DC 25), light, mage hand, mending, open/close, read magic
Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 22nd):
9th–meteor swarm (DC 30)
8th–polar ray (+19 ranged touch), temporal stasis (+17 touch, DC 29)
7th–banishment (DC 27), control undead (DC 27), spell turning
6th–flesh to stone (DC 27), greater dispel magic, Mordenkainen’s lucubration, repulsion (DC 26)
5th–break enchantment, hold monster (DC 25), magic jar (DC 25), passwall, summon monster V
4th–confusion (DC 24), greater invisibility, lesser globe of invulnerability, Rary’s mnemonic enhancer, stoneskin
3rd–deep slumber (DC 23), displacement, haste, lightning bolt (DC 24), suggestion (DC 23)
2nd–detect thoughts (DC 22), glitterdust (DC 22), knock, mirror image, protection from arrows
1st–charm person (DC 21), color spray (DC 21), expeditious retreat, ray of enfeeblement (+19 ranged touch), shield, true strike
0–disrupt undead, ghost sound, message, prestidigitation
Epic Spells Known (CL 27th):
2/day–epic mage armor, greater ruin (DC 35), greater spell resistance, ruin (DC 35)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 32nd):
At will–detect magic
1/day–feather fall, web (DC 21), fly, mass reduce person (DC 23), hold monster (DC 24), antimagic field, delayed blast fireball (DC 27), prismatic wall (DC 28), the Simbul’s spell trigger
Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 26, Int 21, Wis 18, Cha 28
SQ arcane spell power +4, expanded spell knowledge, mantle of mysteries, name and song attunement, spell power +1, summon familiar (none), supernatural abilities, sustenance, weave focus
Feats Craft Wand, Delay Spell, Epic Reputation, Epic Spellcasting, Forge Ring, Heighten Spell, Improved Counterspell, Improved Iniative, Initiate of Mystra {B}, Leadership (35), Maximize Spell, Scribe Scroll {B}, Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus (evocation), Spell Focus (transmutation), Spell Penetration, Spellcasting Prodigy (sorcerer) {B}, Twin Spell
Skills Bluff +26, Concentration +43, Craft (alchemy) +25, Diplomacy +17, Gather Information +15, Heal +12, Intimidate +20, Knowledge (arcana) +30, Knowledge (history) +24, Knowledge (local-Aglarond) +15, Knowledge (religion) +15, Listen +4, Profession (herbalist) +14, Search +15, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +57, Spot +14, Swim +7
Possessions combat gear as well as +5 dagger, bracers of armor +10, chaos diamond. As a powerful spellcaster and ruler of a nation, the Simbul has access to incredible resources and can acquire or make almost any nonartifact item she might need, given time.
Note The Simbul has the bonuses associated with venerable age but none of the penalties.
Ageless (Ex) The Chosen of Mystra ceases to age, is immune to aging effects, and cannot die as a result of old age. Upon gaining this template, a Chosen may revert to any age category he or she has previously attained.
Chosen Immunities (Ex) A Chosen of Mystra is immune to blindness, deafness, disease, disintegration, fatigue, exhaustion, poison, and sleep effects.
Mantle of Mysteries (Su) A Chosen is immune to all scrying and divination effects, and all effects that discern her thoughts or alignment. Likewise, a Chosen cannot be controlled or compelled by any magical, supernatural, or psionic abilities or effects, although a clever Chosen may play along and pretend to be acting under an enemy’s charm or compulsion. In addition, a Chosen's Truename cannot be discovered or discerned by any being unless the Chosen willingly chooses to reveal it to them.
Name and Song Attunement (Su) Whenever a Chosen’s name or the Rune of the Chosen is spoken, the Chosen hears it and the next nine words uttered by the being that spoke her name or recited the song. This ability does not inhibit or interfere with concentration, and can be suppressed or resumed as a free action.
Silver Fire (Su) All Chosen of Mystra can wield the Silver Fire (see template).
Skills A Chosen of Mystra gains a +10 insight bonus on Spellcraft checks
Supernatural Abilities the Simbul has the following supernatural abilities – detect magic (always active as the 1st-round effect of the spell), protection from evil, protection from spells, see invisibility, shapechange. She is also protected as if wearing a ring of protection +3 and an amulet of proof against detection and location. She may transform herself into a chain lightning effect that ends as a meteor streak traveling at speed 70 ft.; she cannot re-form for 1d4+2 hours, taking 10 minutes to do so.
Sustenance (Su) A Chosen of Mystra does not need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep, although she must rest normally to regain spells.
Weave Focus (Su) Upon gaining this template, a Chosen of Mystra is forever barred from ever taking the Shadow Weave Magic feat. In addition, all spells cast through the Weave by a Chosen of Mystra have a +5 bonus to their saving throw DC's and +5 to their effective caster level (for purposes of determining level dependent spell variables, Dispel Checks, Spell Resistance checks, and opposed caster level checks).

Go to Top of Page

dranian
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  03:17:59  Show Profile  Visit dranian's Homepage Send dranian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all of the responses! There are quite of few variations out there that are definitely worth a read. I welcome more responses and builds as I enjoy seeing others' interpretations.

Indeed, I definitely understand how the game designers would want to stick with the core materials. I must confess, though, that I prefer when folks delve into the FR specific material to craft very particular versions of iconic Realms characters.

Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  04:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another beautiful build Green Giant...I will make use of that in my campaign quite nicely.

I'm curious about your Chosen of Mystra template and why you made the changes you did compared to the official one. Love to hear more about how you go about creating all your characters.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  04:38:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, the Green Giant returns! Welcome back!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  04:40:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't recall at the moment, but from which source does the 'Ultimate Magus' class originate?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  11:56:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Complete Mage

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2012 :  12:19:43  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once did a version of the Simbul that was Sorcerer 1, Wizard 3, Warlock 3 (Complete Arcane), Ultimate Magus 10 (Complete Mage), Eldritch Theurge 10 (Complete Mage), Archmage 5. Because why have all those basically-dead sorcerer and wizard levels when you can advance their only significant benefit -- spellcating -- with Eldritch Theurge and Archmage in their place?

The result had, in the same 32 levels as the ELH version, 19 levels of sorcerer casting progression, 17 levels of wizard casting progression, and 13 levels of warlock invocation progression.

Caster level was boosted relative to spell progression level by a pair of Practiced Spellcaster feats (Complete Divine) plus the Ulitmate Magus "Arcane Spell Power" class feature, so her casting level was 27th-level sorcerer / 25th-level wizard (either of which may have been pumped further by taking the Archmage "spell power" arcana, but I don't recall).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000