Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms blogs?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  00:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anybody know of blogs out there that focus mostly on Forgotten Realms games/lore/products/whatever?

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  04:05:53  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nope....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  04:47:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-This is the closest you'll get, since plenty of reviews, etc.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  05:57:58  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not necessarily blog related, but some of the links found on the Forgotten Realms Community Wiki might be of use or interest to you. See the fanwork pages towards the bottom.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2012 :  02:43:08  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just saw this Realms blog: http://my-realms.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  17:44:54  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if you're into podcasts, but here's a Realms-related podcast from the Roll For Initiative guys on D20 Radio.

Realms talk starts about 1/4 of the way in.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  18:03:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR Wiki is indeed a fine resource. Especially after adding *.meebo.com to your browser's list of Restricted Sites so those awful animated spam bannerbars never take over half your screen.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  20:41:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The FR Wiki is indeed a fine resource.

-I would disagree, as a lot of what is there is incomplete and/or inaccurate. As a general "what is this" kind of catch-all to glean sources, I guess it would be sufficient, but Candlekeep's own index is superior, with the exception that it doesn't offer basic descriptions as the Forgotten Realms Wiki does.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  10:41:10  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-I would disagree, as a lot of what is there is incomplete and/or inaccurate. As a general "what is this" kind of catch-all to glean sources, I guess it would be sufficient, but Candlekeep's own index is superior, with the exception that it doesn't offer basic descriptions as the Forgotten Realms Wiki does.

Um, it's superior but it isn't?

The FR Wiki is a tremendous resource. I use it all the time. The footnotes can be really helpful for finding out more and reminding you of sources you may have forgotten.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  11:42:16  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes but there is a lot of inaccurate information there so if you go there to check something you should remember that not everything there is canon.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  14:35:11  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

Yes but there is a lot of inaccurate information there so if you go there to check something you should remember that not everything there is canon.

Yup. It never hurts to double check the information found on the FR Wiki. 'This source has a footnote therefore it must be accurate' isn't always true. The information could have been scribed incorrectly or deliberately misleading. This could lead to future problems with future FR articles. For example, the FR Wiki Roll of Years is incorrect for some dates. And this has lead to the wrong title being used for a DDI article.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  15:26:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything is inaccurate unless it can be confirmed with raw data, cited references, or other empirical sources. Even then, arguments in canon usually derive from subjective interpretation of ambiguous wording. Perhaps the FR Wiki ain't so great and often inaccurate, but I find it handy to have all the data readily presented in an organized and convenient manner ... faster than searching through all the junk on the shelves.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  18:22:53  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too have been led down the wrong path by the FR Wiki.

However the sum of the work is pretty impressive and I agree with Ayrik in that it's more efficient to look it up online.

I find the FR Wiki is good for telling me where the tidbit of Realmslore I'm trying to remember is found. That way I can look it up in the actual source.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  18:26:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I find the FR Wiki is good for telling me where the tidbit of Realmslore I'm trying to remember is found. That way I can look it up in the actual source.

I did this exact thing just the other day -- someone asked a question I knew the answer to, but I wanted to confirm my answer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  21:15:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

Um, it's superior but it isn't?

-Offering information and/or pictures of whatever it is that I am looking is nice, but is meaningless when I need the reference to whatever it is I am looking for, because I need to confirm that the information is indeed correct. While Candlekeep's index lacks graphics or basic information about whatever it is I am looking up, since I am looking for the source, it doesn't matter that there are no graphics or basic information. Especially when, regarding the Forgotten Realms wiki, the basic information is often incorrect for whatever reason.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2012 :  03:20:22  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might I suggest (as a frequent editor over at the FR Wiki and someone who likes having complete, accurate/cited information) that some of you knowledgeable sages come join the wiki? If even three or four people intent on building the wiki into a more credible resource (not that it isn't already) dedicated a few hours each week to insert missing citations ([1][2]) or adding some of the wanted pages, it would be extremely helpful.

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra
For example, the FR Wiki Roll of Years is incorrect for some dates. And this has lead to the wrong title being used for a DDI article.

I would be extremely interested in which specific years you are referring to, so that the appropriate changes can be made.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  02:19:49  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

That's what I use it for. If you can't find it in the original resources (novels, sourcebooks, etc.,) cited as footnotes, then it's inaccurate.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000