Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New PATHFINDER comic -- brief synopsis and preview
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  03:05:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Bleeding Cool has some updated info on the new PATHFINDER comic series coming from Dynamite Entertainment in August.

Some cool stuff there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 May 2012 03:06:34

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  03:59:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I like the artwork style. Looks like the same stuff that's in their rulebook(s), which is doubly cool because (a) it's some nice looking artwork and (b) that's a cool way to maintain continuity that isn't necessarily needed.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  04:19:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tell ya - I'm gettin' really excited by PF lately - its heading in so many good directions.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  04:57:13  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man...sometimes I catch myself saying "I wish Paizo owned Dungeons and Dragons"...

Not that I don't like WotC, but there is an inkling of wishing in there for me.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  04:57:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you should see their tieflings.......

you could almost make cat calls at the beast brood tiefling.......

(rakshasa spawned)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  05:03:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

you should see their tieflings.......

you could almost make cat calls at the beast brood tiefling.......

(rakshasa spawned)

Yeah, that one caught my attention, too.

Most of the Pathfinder artwork is simply wonderful. It certainly is better than anything WotC's done since letting go of Elmore, Easley, and Caldwell.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  05:08:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I like the artwork style. Looks like the same stuff that's in their rulebook(s), which is doubly cool because (a) it's some nice looking artwork and (b) that's a cool way to maintain continuity that isn't necessarily needed.

I'm sorry to say... but judging from what I've seen here, it's a massive step up -- visually -- from what I've just been exposed to in the first issue of the new FORGOTTEN REALMS comic from IDW.

Aside from Ed's writing, and Sal's inks, there was very little I could take from this new book that I actually enjoyed.

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  11:41:51  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Most of the Pathfinder artwork is simply wonderful. It certainly is better than anything WotC's done since letting go of Elmore, Easley, and Caldwell.

I found some of the early Pathfinder artwork to be a bit 'off' (or at least not my style), but there's one image of Seoni sitting down on a rock with what is I think her lizard familiar, and I really like that image and art style.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  16:32:55  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm sorry to say... but judging from what I've seen here, it's a massive step up -- visually -- from what I've just been exposed to in the first issue of the new FORGOTTEN REALMS comic from IDW.

Aside from Ed's writing, and Sal's inks, there was very little I could take from this new book that I actually enjoyed.

The artwork in the FR comic is far superior to the Drizzt comic but it is a step back from the Eberron annual. (which was very good one shot)
I did noticed in the May issue of Previews you can't even order the FR comic. I was hoping for an ongoing series.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  17:06:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC/D&D should have partnered with Todd McFarlane, both for a comic and a toy line.

Now that they are owned by Hasbro, that could never happened.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  18:01:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

WotC/D&D should have partnered with Todd McFarlane, both for a comic and a toy line.

I dunno... McFarlane made some really nice looking figures... But I had issues with trying to pose some of them. What's the point of making a figure super-articulated if that very articulation means it won't hold a pose?

I had one figure that was so bad I had to super-glue its knee into position, to keep it from bending!

Most were solid and held their pose quite well, but there were a handful that I had serious issues with. Of course, now I've only got a couple of those figures...

I've also had that issue with a few Revoltech figures; most recently War Machine and the Alien. The Danboard figure, on the other hand, stands up quite readily and holds its pose without issue.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 May 2012 18:04:14
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  20:04:06  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

speaking to the choir

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  20:07:21  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I dunno... McFarlane made some really nice looking figures... But I had issues with trying to pose some of them. What's the point of making a figure super-articulated if that very articulation means it won't hold a pose?

I had one figure that was so bad I had to super-glue its knee into position, to keep it from bending!

Most were solid and held their pose quite well, but there were a handful that I had serious issues with. Of course, now I've only got a couple of those figures...

I've also had that issue with a few Revoltech figures; most recently War Machine and the Alien. The Danboard figure, on the other hand, stands up quite readily and holds its pose without issue.

-Being a collector (used to be, anyway), I think a lot of the problems that super articulated toys have with holding poses is due to manufacturing. I've had before literally two of the same things, one that would hold and one that would flop around and not.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  20:15:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nowhy would someone want a fully posable and heavy articuladed action figure of storm silverhand unless the figure was only wearing a pair of boots amnd wielding a sword??????

just chuckle and move along and dont answer that.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  01:57:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

The artwork in the FR comic is far superior to the Drizzt comic but it is a step back from the Eberron annual. (which was very good one shot)
I did noticed in the May issue of Previews you can't even order the FR comic. I was hoping for an ongoing series.

Aye. The solicitations from IDW are often left vague, I think, because some books have problems meeting the shipping deadline.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  02:00:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could see an FR comic in the classic 90's style of McFarlane's art on Amazing Spider-Man.

I'd buy it!

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2017 :  22:16:57  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else followed Pathfinder's comics? if so, what did you think of the Tarzan/JohnCarter/RedSonja/Golarion crossover?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2017 :  02:28:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isaw it i the bookstore,sadly it is on the wait list.....

though you can find sonja's sword devil ranger archtype online.....mmmm nasty

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000