Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Folk of Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  15:47:53  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made the spell name up for that particular entry, figuring a DM could flesh it out.

But since you asked I double checked using a Google search (just to make sure I wasn't using a spell name dredged up from a memory made twenty years ago) and I did not find anything. To my knowledge the spell does not exist in any sourcebook.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2014 :  15:58:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could not find a reference either. If it's not in the Encyclopedia Magica I doubt it's anywhere. Er, Spell Compendium which I can't find. rrrr

Had to hunt down my hardcopy, nope, not there either.

Thanks.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 23 Dec 2014 16:04:21
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2014 :  05:35:10  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added in December:

12/18/2014: Started an entry for Nararanralee of Manyghosts. Edits to Cymbrarra (added a footnote and fixed some wording). Fixed spelling for names and cleaned up some links in the OP.
12/19/2014: Added Dalatha of Wormtower.
12/20/2014: Added Nars Whitesail.
12/22/2014: Added Voruld. Got a little ways with X, but not quite there yet.
12/29/2014: Forgot to post a link to Voruld's writeup in the opening post. Fixed that. Also minor edits to X. (Fellfire, X--now the Hound and the Huntsman--is proving a hard one to write. Apologies for the delay.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2014 :  06:26:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Voruld. Sounds like he'd easily fit into a snug Purple Dragon-oriented campaign without too much hassle.

Inspiring as always, Jeremy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2014 :  09:20:19  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha. No worries. This isn't fast food, I can wait.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  07:47:46  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rasalra of the Many Daggers
(CN Half-Elf Fighter 3)

The blood of elves runs in Rasalra’s veins, but one would be hard pressed to notice at first glance. Rasalra stands six feel tall, her nose bent from the many times its been broken, the points of her ears long ago torn away and never fully healed. The sheen of old scars up and down her face reflect campfire light, and the few hairs above her eyelids are the last remnants of eyebrows burnt away by forge fire. Her shoulders are broad on a bony frame covered in tight cords of muscle.

Toil and violence are Rasalra’s lot in life, but not by misfortune or a poor allotment from the gods. She welcomes violence—accepts it like a merchant eager to accept a buyer’s coins—and holds no grudge against those seeking to do her harm. She does not work violence on the weak or undeserving, but she treats equally all who choose to visit it on her.

Turmoil lurks in Rasalra’s mind like a storm cloud. For years she's lived as a capable assistant to forgemasters in Arabel, hardly speaking as she hammers out her frustrations by day and retreats to a simple hovel by night, choosing to interact with others as little as possible. When her roiling thoughts turn into a dark tempest of contempt for the world at large, it manifests in the form of a barely concealed rage. Then does she go out into Arabel seeking conflict--something she rarely fails to find.[1]

One such conflict saw her knock cold the warrior Orm with a well-placed throw of a tankard, which so impressed the leaders of the Company of the Errant Gauntlet that they bypassed the usual order at the Dragon and approached her personally, offering her a share of coin and the promise of numerous battles if she would join them.[2]

In battle she wears battered head-to-foot leathers of a deep brown color, covered in dagger sheathes.[3] Those daggers visit death at a distance when hurled from her long arms (she’s equally proficient at throwing with either arm). Combat finds her wielding short sword and dagger or a longsword two-handed, as her mood takes her. Despite the many injuries she’s suffered down the years she is as nimble as a thief—a skill she utilizes when running at full speed in the dead of night, or when she leaps from a rooftop to come crashing through a window.

Her regular mood is taciturn, but her fellow adventurer Voruld has discovered she will readily talk about Arabel because she’s lived there for the last fifty years. As well that she will not speak of her life before she first walked through Arabel’s gates. Rasalra does not get along with her fellow adventurers, but the necessities of working with others to survive in battle with monstrous foes have curbed her temper and taught her the value of teamwork in the face of certain death.

[1] The Dancing Dragon tavern in Arabel is one of her favorite places to find a good fight. Tavern regulars with long memories avoid her and steer others her way, that they might enjoy the beating she delivers to newcomers and braggarts.

[2] At the Dancing Dragon it is customary to utilize runners to deliver messages to and from hirers to prospective hirees. See "Volo's Guide to Cormyr," page 62.

[3] The gift of a lover now deceased, her armor is magical. Treat as leather armor +2 with the property of turning any non-magical melee or ranged weapon Rasalra wields into a +1 weapon—including improvised weapons. Note: Rasalra has had a hand in forging the many weapons she wields, and spends much time on their sharpening and upkeep.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 07 Jan 2015 07:01:52
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  07:38:50  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randelio
(Fighter 2)

A hard drinking ex-Purple Dragon, Randelio is easily recognized by his bald head, pockmarked face, small eyes and deep voice. He is blunt with those he does not know, but warms in the company of others he shares drinks with (lots of drinks over several nights, that he might take the full measure of someone).

Randelio remembers every slight and rarely forgives anyone; his manner cold and efficient with anyone he dislikes. His selfish way is balanced by an impish humor that catches others off guard.

Once earned, Randelio’s loyalty is genuine--but that loyalty follows the shortest path to readily accessible drink. When he came to work at the House of the Lynx, he quickly befriended Voruld and soon found his position elevated. As a result he oft left at the close of business with one or more bottles of strong drink that were not paid for.

Randelio and Voruld are close comrades who hold court around campfires and steal the attention of their fellow Gauntlets in the long hours between adventures. Their humor is infectious—the sort that spawns new jokes and plays on their listeners, even when the same old stories are being told.

In combat Randelio holds back, guarding Voruld’s flank until the later elects to join the fray. Whereas Voruld claims a need to assess the enemy, Randelio states that he is built for stability, not speed, and running full out into combat is more likely to injure him than any foe he might face.

Randelio sleeps with a hand flask of eye-watering whiskey in one hand.[1] If surprised while resting, he will spit a mouthful in the eyes of the nearest foe and use the moment of blindness to hurl his enemy headfirst into the campfire. A similar tactic has served him well in dark dungeons and lightless caverns, as he wields a torch in his other hand and expectorate liquid fire at anything dangerous that gets too close.[2]

[1] The handflask is Randelio’s most prized possession. Made of steel, with a threaded mithril cap joined to the spout by a fine chain, the flask sits in a sturdy leather sleeve with a flat strap that fits snugly over the hand. Randelio’s is one of a matched set found at the House of the Lynx, the flasks given to the highest paying and most well regarded customers for their personal use while in attendance. Each flask is linked by magic to a barrel filled with the strongest and most expensive of drink, the barrel sequestered behind locked doors in the cellars below. Whenever liquid is imbibed from the flask and the cap replaced, liquid is drawn from the barrel and magically transported to the flask, refilling it. Only the reputation of the Gauntlets has kept the owner of the Lynx from hiring bullyblades to take it and the hand that carries it back.

[2] Leading Vorold to thank him later for shedding light on the situation.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 09 Jan 2015 05:25:18
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2015 :  09:07:11  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loved Rasalra's armor. Hearkens back to the good ol' days of magical items.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2015 :  09:17:16  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diggin' Randelio's Drunken Master dirty tricks too. Nice little wordplay in the final footnote too. Props.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Jan 2015 10:19:38
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2015 :  09:19:58  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
X, a.k.a. Hound still giving you a hard time? Particularly interested in his lycanthropic nature or are you intentionally leaving that mysteriously vague? That would be typical of the OG(B) style you claim (and succeed at, huzzah!) to be emulating. Still, I crave more backstory.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Jan 2015 16:01:57
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2015 :  05:32:51  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

X, a.k.a. Hound still giving you a hard time?
Yeah. I think I'm trying to do too much with this one. Every time I get started I go on a roll, look back on what I've written and can't bring myself to cut anything.

I definitely want to highlight the Huntsman's lycanthropy, but I am having difficulty keeping it simple and cool.

quote:

Loved Rasalra's armor. Hearkens back to the good ol' days of magical items.
Diggin' Randelio's Drunken Master dirty tricks too. Nice little wordplay in the final footnote too. Props.

Thank you sir! Rasalra's armor came to me right at the end of the writeup. I hope a DM somewhere reads her entry and decides to fill in the details on who her lover was and what other magic items he (or she, or it) made before dying.

Randelio and Voruld are based loosely on a couple of people I know in real life. I have not seen the 'drunken master' in action, but I've heard enough stories to be glad he counted me a friend. I would not ever want to tangle with that guy. Ever.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  13:09:42  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep up the good work. This has become one of my favorite scrolls to peruse these days.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  03:03:18  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where've you been, Jeremy? I hope your working on something awesome.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  07:51:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By that standard, I am working on something awesome: a second child. A son, to be precise.

My wife is of course doing all the heavy lifting, but it falls to me to assist her however I can, and to wrangle the house into something approaching orderly and clean, and to keep an eye out for our one year old, who is growing by leaps and bounds and daily tests her physical ability to do the same.

I don't have the option to write as much as I have been--that is, keep to a nightly schedule of a couple hours in which to satisfy my desire to read and to sit down and write. I hope to do what I can, when I can, until my son makes his first appearance into the world. Should be a little over a month from now.

My...that was a longish answer, wasn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2015 :  19:29:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cogratultions.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  05:30:33  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you!

I purchased a book called "Werewolf Cop" by Andrew Klavan, from which I hope to draw inspiration for The Huntsman.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2015 :  23:00:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4/20/2015: Doing minor edits to entries as I cross-post them to the WotC forums.

10/13/2015: Changed Cymbrarra's hair from red to black. Added a link to an Instagram image showing what she looks like.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 14 Oct 2015 06:14:58
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  08:49:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drunn Arngoblet
(Fighter 3)

Drunn is a reputable merchant that deals in all manner of tomes, broadsheets and chapbooks. He keeps a stable of wagons on his route, and owns the buildings whose ground floor is given over to the wagon’s storage. As he travels the Heartlands, Drunn collects the rents from the tenants that occupy the floors above his wagons, and gives a discount if the wagons are found in good shape and untouched upon his arrival. He is fond of every wagon in his fleet, and treats them much like a warrior might treat a good horse that’s seen him through many battles, because he’s had to fight for his life from atop his wagons in the past.

Drunn’s route takes him through Cormyr twice a year. He’s a welcome sight in the smaller communities of the Forest Kingdom, and he rarely fails to deliver on promises made to acquire something of interest for the people he befriends. The long overcoat he wears has many pockets inside and out, from which he produces chapbooks and other readables, to the delight of customers who’ve been waiting months for the latest installment of this or that series.

Once a hard-drinking mercenary prone to sullen moods and stormy outbursts of anger, Drunn found little in the way of happiness during the long waits between battles save for when he was reading. This happiness was doubled when he gave a rundown chapbook to a little girl in a nameless village torn apart by conflict, and saw her tear-streaked face turn into a smile. Nowadays the smiles of children, and of happy customers, are nourishment to Drunn’s soul.

He enjoys reading aloud, and reads stories to children and adults that gather around his wagon. His taste for drink hasn’t gone away, but it has refined into a preference for strong whiskey or brandy, of the kind that makes one’s lips and tongue tingle, the scent of which never fails to give a shiver after the bottle is opened. Drunn shares “the good drink” with his favorite customers, never charging for it.

The road carries Drunn as far west as Scornubel. He’s not welcome in Elturel, and won’t speak of why to anyone who bothers to ask. In the other direction he used to travel deep into Sembia, but now goes no farther than Urmlaspyr, where he drops off his wagon and finds passage on any of the small caravels headed south to Westgate. His life in Westgate is one of gambling, a fight or two, warm beds and much dealing. It’s here that he spends his winter months.

Once the ice has thawed and the waterways are clear, Drunn returns to Urmlaspyr with a supply of new readables.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 Nov 2015 20:30:55
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  09:31:44  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and well met again sir! I like this Drunn.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

The road carries Drunn as far east as Scornubel.

Did you mean west, here? And do Scornubel, Urmlaspyr, and Westgate form the limits of his regular travel?

And I'm afraid I'm already speculating about what he got himself into, in Elturel.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  15:06:44  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I meant 'west'.

I made myself stay up late last night to write this NPC. Was ready to fall asleep at the keyboard when I stopped writing.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  15:29:25  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might be a Realmsfan if...
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2015 :  03:48:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've given me plenty of good reading after my hiatus. Thanks. Still hoping you will polish up Hound the Huntsman, particularly his lycanthropy and relationship with Selune.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2015 :  06:00:42  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You've given me plenty of good reading after my hiatus. Thanks.

You're welcome, Fellfire.

quote:

Still hoping you will polish up Hound the Huntsman, particularly his lycanthropy and relationship with Selune.

Me too. It'll happen one of these days.

Arabel is loaded with so much potential; you gotta dip your foot in and get back out before it swallows you whole.

EDIT: I'm playing around with the opening quotes for the Huntsman's entry. Hopefully this gives a hint as to the state of the Huntsman's lycanthropism, and suggests there may have been others like him in the past. Let me know what you think.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 03 Dec 2015 08:11:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000