Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do the realms need an "Avengers"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  15:40:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Cyric as Loki (another obvious choice). Asmodeus of course would be Mephisto (being smarter and out-classing Cyric/Loki).

Great list, Erik! Pwent as the Hulk is an odd, but apt choice. I can't really think of any other 'meat-shield' style charaters (known NPCs) in the Realms.

Jarlaxle as the wise-cracking Spiderman? (who also just happens to be thought of as a villain by most folks).

Tavis Burden (Firbolg) as Giantman, and maybe Olive Ruskettle as the wasp (not a perfect fit, but we have no faires).

Xanathar as Modoc, Larloch as magneto?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 May 2012 15:41:17
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  19:17:41  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know where I fall on a Realms Avengers, but your doomsday scenario is very cool Markustay. If I get a hankering for a high level game I would totally start it out exactly like that, with the PCs and all those crazy strong NPCs arriving in a strange location after a teleport, learning the fate that will befall the world if they don't stop it, and being sent out as a group to do what they can while other powerful NPCs split off to do what they can. That could be interesting, especially trying to come up with something so horrible that all those varied NPC powers and egos would choose to work together.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  19:52:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG the Xanathar as Modok.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2012 :  19:53:37  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Forgotten Realms Avengers totally needs to happen.

Here's my team:

Drizzt Do'Urden as Captain America: Super soldier from another time and place, noble but often an outsider.

Elminster Aumar as Iron Man: Brash but undeniably powerful blaster with more riches than he knows what to do with, noted lover of the ladies.

Arilyn Moonblade as Spider-Woman: Skilled lone-wolf operative with some deep covert contacts, goes her own way.

Wulfgar as Thor: Strong man and heir to the power of an ancient people, prone to rages.

Alias as Ms. Marvel: Powerful woman warrior with some serious power, persistent identity crisis.

Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun as Nick Fury: Pragmatic mastermind and all-around badass, has some serious history.

Kyriana Agrivar as the Scarlet Witch: Sorceress powerhouse, conflicted aspects of her heritage.

Fox-at-Twilight as Black Widow: Alluring lady spy, of dubious loyalties and motives.

Drasek Riven as Hawkeye: Morally shady assassin, able to take that extra step when necessary.

Thibbledorf Pwent as The Incredible Hulk: 'Nuff said.

Cheers

P.S. And Szass Tam is totally the Red Skull and Manshoon is totally Dr. Doom. It's obvious, isn't it?

I second this......

but isn't wolverine an avenger now???? yep him a spidey.... so who would they be in the realms.

Bruenor as wolverine???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  04:14:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mirt needs to be in there somewhere...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  06:15:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Mirt needs to be in there somewhere...

The male equivalent of Big Bertha from the Great Lakes Avengers?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  14:36:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good version of the kingpin is as close as I think we can get (there's also The Blob, but thats another bady, and his IQ doesn't fit Mirt at all).

I figured Magneto for Larloch because of the power-level, and also because they are both the "I have my OWN agenda" kind of guys - not precisely evil, but certainly not good, either.

Wolverine's tough - the only Lycanthrope good guy I know of is Kelemvor, but that doesn't really fit. Driizt, perhaps, when he goes into 'the Hunter' mode. Still don't have the enhanced senses or healing factor, though. A typical troll is closer to Wolvie then Kelemvor.

Jander Sunstar as Morbius.

Kane as Shang-Chi (dating myself with that one).
The Unseen are the Skrulls.

Other Avengers:
The Black Knight? (The Red Knight?)
I suppose Gilgamessh and Hercules could actually BE Gilgamesh and Hercules, but that isn't very Realmsian.
Danilo Thann as Wonderman (the whole 'Joe Hollywood' thing). Maybe as Starfox would be a better choice....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 May 2012 14:48:14
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  14:47:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually often thought of Thor when reading about Wulfgar...I mean, it is not even a longshot! Throwing/returning hammer!!!!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  21:18:46  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm who would be Spidey then? Jaraxle i think comes closet.
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2012 :  21:32:29  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im going to mix and match class roles and heros here.

The Srinshee- DPS (obviously)
Elminster- Tank (just look at those rippling biceps, also as of 4e, you wouldn't like him when he's angry)
The Simbul - Healer (because of her warm friendly demeanor)- Wanda Maximoff
Larloch- (as The Vision or alternatively, Jarvis the Butler)
Szass Tam- (The eye candy)- The Black Widow
Drizzt - Thor

Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  04:06:33  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a secret Arcane organization in my home campaign, made up of Seventeen different mages from different parts of Faerun, even though they'd otherwise be at each other's throats. Including a Red Wizard, a Rashemi witch, a Zhentarim mage, a Harper, etc.

Edited by - Eladrinstar on 08 May 2012 04:07:51
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  01:24:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I like your list, Erik.

Larloch as Magneto. Could work, given some similarities of their background and present state.

Though I'd choose Alassra as Wanda. Both are known to be unpredictable, powerful, and quick to anger.

I'd have Fyodor as Wolverine. Don't they look alike?!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  02:41:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... Manshoon is totally Dr. Doom. It's obvious, isn't it?

Good call. And with all his clones... they can double as Doombots.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 May 2012 08:02:32
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  07:44:18  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-God no.

Well said.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  03:44:06  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Thanos will be the villian in Avengers 2...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  03:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't want to tap one of the seven sisters (ahem!) for the team, because they're more of their own team, plus Kyri needed to be on there, I think. If only for Wooly's benefit.

But yes, the Simbul makes great sense as the Scarlet Witch.

quote:

You mean Larloch, right?

'Cuz Larloch = Thanos.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  04:08:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You mean Larloch, right?

'Cuz Larloch = Thanos.

Cheers

Actually, I'm thinking Karsus would be a more accurate Realms translation for Thanos. After all, which other Realms character -- other than Karsus -- has tasted of the divine "godlike power of infinity"... only to lose it again so quickly for realising that he wasn't worthy of such ultimate power?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  06:28:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention killing millions of people.

Jergal smiles upon them both.

Not really feeling Larloch as Thanos, but if he is, does that make Halaster Drax the Destroyer?

Then again, maybe it should be the other way around.

Szass Tam I think makes a good Thanos - they are both very overt (unlike Larloch, who is a mystery wrapped in an enigma... or some such poppycock). Especially if you consider what he attempted with the Dread Rings (has 'Infinity Gauntlet' written all over it).

Who was that rogue that befriended Wulfagar in Luskan? Make him Paste-Pot Pete.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 May 2012 06:29:04
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2012 :  05:03:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Szass Tam I think makes a good Thanos - they are both very overt (unlike Larloch, who is a mystery wrapped in an enigma... or some such poppycock). Especially if you consider what he attempted with the Dread Rings (has 'Infinity Gauntlet' written all over it).

The Infinity Gauntlet is hardly the only fictional device ever created that could alter the very fabric of reality, and it's hardly the first, either. Read the mythologies and folklore of different countries, you'd find them in droves. I wouldn't immediately conclude that Richard based his Dread Rings on the IG.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000