Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Paladin in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  08:38:22  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,
I haven't found a lot of articles or sourcebooks about paladin in the Realms.

So here are my questions :
1. What sources do you have about this class in sourcebooks ? (I may have miss something).
2. I'd like to know how you DMs, deal with paladin PCs ? What's is daily life, do they have to be paladin of a good deity ?

I know we have a list of orders by Eric K. Rodriguez http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/knighthood.htm[HERE] (thanks Candlekeep and Eric).

I would like to hear much about paladins by Ed and THO, but Ed seems to have a spate of work, and your advices are quite accurate too
I maybe ask him later if the subject interest someone else than me.

Thanks,
Marco (french guy with scandalous english mistakes in his topics).

Edited by - Marco Volo on 04 May 2012 08:44:10

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  11:10:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Novel wise, not a whole lot. From the top of my head there are a few which feature Paladin's:
-Pool of Darkness
-Pool of Twilight
-Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
-The series where they explore Maztica

As for sourcebooks, the FRCS has a small list of Paladin orders which allow Multiclassing to other classes based on the deities ethos. Also, Champions of Valor has a few pages on various Paladin Orders and some other information including a new Prestige Class devoted to them.

As for paladin's praying to a Good deity, I've always been of the opinion that the term Paladin was someone who devoted their life to a greater cause, to a deities will. Be that good or bad. Thus we have evil, good, chaotic, etc. Paladin's becasue they're just as fierce in their belief as Lawful Good ones.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  14:28:36  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book in the link below mentions Paladins in a few sections:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Paladins-Handbook-Advanced-Supplement/dp/1560768452

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 04 May 2012 15:37:44
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  14:29:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a paladin character in the Double Diamond Triangle Saga, but he is VERY irritating....so just like every other paladin.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 04 May 2012 14:30:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  15:12:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a lot of paladin activity in Thornhold. Paladins are not depicted in the most flattering manner, in that book.

One of the characters in the Forgotten Realms comic was a paladin. He was one of those rare, non-stuffy and non-judgemental ones.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  17:59:04  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's a lot of paladin activity in Thornhold. Paladins are not depicted in the most flattering manner, in that book.

-One of the best novels that deals with them, I think, specifically because it presents them in a "new" kind of light that isn't seen very often.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  19:16:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think MUCH differently about Paladins than many I know.

I like to base my Paladins in the role more of enforcer of Law and Order, guided lightly by a Good Heart.

Priam (of the comic) was an awesome Paladin, but he wasn't the stern sort that I feel a Paladin should be.

As Holy Warriors for Law and Good (primarily Law in my thinking when I'm playing one), I don't see Paladins so much as defenders as I do as Crusading Inquisitors. A defender would not be prancing through mounds of the slain chaotic evil in the homes of the same!

The most gratifying gaming experience I ever had playing a Paladin wasn't actually in the Forgotten Realms, but in Birthright.

I played the Monarch of Talinie. His "Crusades" against the evils of Thurazor resulted in many converts to Haelyn's Church...as well as far more who had their souls "saved" by ritual execution! These weren't random executions, he almost ground his Kingdom into the ground ensuring the souls of the executed were laid to rest properly (costs a lot of coin to bury half a nation of goblins!).

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  01:50:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There is also Elaine's related short story in Best of the Realms III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham, which explains the origins of the Knights of Samular.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EltonJ
Learned Scribe

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  15:11:15  Show Profile  Visit EltonJ's Homepage Send EltonJ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see my paladins take on the demeanor of the Jedi Consular I'm playing on SWTOR (I changed my focus to the Smuggler since I got tired of the Boy Scout diplomat since I can't stand the Sith, but authors of Realms books writing paladins should watch Star Wars: the Phantom Menace and take a strong hard look at Qui-Gon Jin).

If I played my Paladin that way, people will still be annoyed because I'm playing a Jedi knight with a Boy Scout like personality. Always good, not evil, sometimes dipping into the Dark Side. Trying to find the best answer among a lot of problems and is honest to a fault. Real world personalities from History are few and far in-between and are only found in Mormon scripture (aka. Captain Moroni). :) Although, most boy scouts I know these days have their personality flaws, they work hard for everyone.

Not all paladins are annoying. I mean they should be as annoying as Clark Kent and Steve Rodgers; but base them off Jedi Knights, and you have some opportunities for personality flaws. Jedi Knights often fall, and their falls can be spectacular. Although Keldorn Firecam from Balder's Gate II was an awesome paladin. :)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  17:17:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EltonJ

Real world personalities from History are few and far in-between and are only found in Mormon scripture (aka. Captain Moroni). :) Although, most boy scouts I know these days have their personality flaws, they work hard for everyone.

"...only found in Mormon scriptures..."

Mate, let me tell you where you can find plenty:

The Twelve Peers of Charlemagne's court.
The Song of Roland.
Battle of Roncevaux Pass
Hruodland, Lord of the Breton March
The Romance story Fierabras, from around 1170
In general, the chansons de geste (Songs of Heroic Deeds)

That is a starting point for you.

I never considered Captain Moroni paladin like, though the 2,000 stripling warriors certainly could be considered an order of Paladins because of their virtue learned from their mothers.

Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  07:52:02  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all of you for your interesting replies !
I have some novels to buy
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  14:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main character of my recent Realms books--the Shadowbane series--is a thief turned paladin, who is constantly struggling to reconcile his goodly path and his dark past. Downshadow particularly focuses on what it means to be a paladin in a big/shady city like Waterdeep.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2012 :  08:10:09  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Erik ! I didn't know your book, but I will...
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  05:27:47  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had this issue come up in my campaign recently (set in 1371, using the Pathfinder rules set). I have a character who is a Neutral Good sorceress (and a very committed worshipper of Mystra) thinking of trying to take on the Paladins path in Mystra's affiliated order 'Knights of the Mystic Fire' (found in Champions of Valor). I noted that it was my general rule (based on my admittedly 2E informed view) that Paladins might serve different deities, but that they all had to follow shared codes of general chivalry and Paladinesque (yeah, it's not a word, so sue me) conduct (best outlined in the Complete Paladin as noted above) among which was the need to be Lawful Good. She has argued that that technically is not the case, but I am having a hard time envisioning all those Chaotic Good Paladins of Sune (her key counter-argument) running around the Realms.

Still pondering my ultimate ruling on this one. Lol.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  14:17:55  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my view of Paladins in the Forgotten Realms is one thing; but I have a different view of Paladins in Golarion.

In the Forgotten Realms, it wasn't until after the 2e version of the game setting that Paladins started being more "soft" on the law side.

I just think, in the Forgotten Realms, Paladins are a more lawful lot...not always so much on the "good" end of things.

On the other hand, in Golarion, they seem to be much more varied as written in the sourcebooks from the beginning...and why I play a Paladin of a Nature God there!

Paladins of Mystra, I think, would be more concerned with upholding Mystra's Laws of Magic...not so much "good" as "Devoted" to her tenants.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2012 :  15:10:54  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't see any reference to Dragonbait, who is a Paladin in the Finder's Stone series and a few other books. Although he's slightly different than a typical human paladin, he's a great character. Not irritating at all.
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2012 :  10:25:24  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gracias, amigos !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000