Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 War Wizards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  08:09:57  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lhornara Blacktower

Lhornara Blacktower is a thin, disheveled looking war wizard, with unruley brown hair, large eyes and just a hint of pointed ears. Lhornara is actually quite beautiful, owing to an elven ancestor, but is deliberately hiding her appearance until a time of her choosing.

Lhornara spies on nobles and merchants in Suzail, keeping tabs on several as yet unwed males, with the intent of finding a suitably rich, but biddable man to seduce and marry. She plans to start a rich family of wizards who will come to wield great influence in Cormyr and the surrounding lands.

Of late Lhornara has taken notice of several chartered adventuring groups who’ve come to Suzail to sell their treasure and boast of their accomplishments. At least one lucky young adventurer does not yet realize Lhornara has set her sights on him and will do almost anything to win his affections.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  08:12:21  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imcharla "Windyrobes" Darphon

Imcharla “Windyrobes” Darphon is a veteran war wizard of average height, with deep brown eyes and straight black hair cut to shoulder length.

Imcharla, like most war wizards, is keenly intelligent and accomplished at both ritual and individual spellwork. She has served at the Royal Palace in Suzail, fought on the battlements of Castle Nacacia and rode down brigands and mercenaries along Cormyr’s border with Sembia.

Imcharla’s peculiar nickname stems from the fact that she suffers from bouts of excessive flatulence.

No choice of food, use of magic or the drinking of herbal concoctions has cured her of her malady. Aside from unpleasant sounds, the scent (or bouquet, as one sputtering-over-his-words courtier put it) she leaves in her wake is of almonds.

The Royal Palace has its share of ghosts and apparitions. Save for the undead that occupy the Haunted Wing, most incorporeal undead in the palace are harmless. Some (such as the ghost of Alusair Obarskyr) even aid the Palace’s living occupants.

One such ghost, that of an unknown palace doorjack, appears from time to time carrying small items such as snacks, messages or parcels. Soon after manifesting, the apparition is set upon by unseen foes and run through. The swords the apparition is skewered with can be seen protruding from its body as it crawls along the floor to the spectral form of a bell rope, which the apparition pulls (to give warning, presumably) before collapsing in death and fading from view.

During her time at the Royal Palace, Imcharla was ordered to find Crown Prince Irvel and relay a message of some importance. This she did, interrupting the prince as he was about to take his evening feast. Irvel departed from his chambers after hearing the message, but not before kindly thanking the lady war wizard and offering her his untouched dinner, noting as he left that war wizards work far too hard and rarely seem to have the time for a good and proper meal.

Imcharla noted the accuracy of the prince’s words and the trust he showed her by allowing her to remain alone in his chambers. She ate with gusto and took no notice of the enchantment carefully laid over a small bowl of almonds, one that had slowly conjured a single, concentrated dose of poison into the bowl that would be absorbed by its contents, but only after the bowl had been touched by a blood Obarskyr.

Imcharla meant to return to her post, but she had not taken three steps before falling to the floor, groaning in agony at the pain in her gut. Try though she might, she lacked the strength to reach the bell pull that would summon aid. As she collapsed into unconsciousness, the ghost of the doorjack appeared next to her, reaching for the same bell pull. The ghost stopped, turned to look at Imcharla, then flowed over her, his form swirling like water down a drain, before disappearing into her and concentrating its form around the poisoned food in her gut.

Imcharla awoke to the sight of Purple Dragon soldiers and the Crown Prince standing over her, a look of concern on his face and an intense feeling of cold in her abdomen. She made to stand and the prince lent his hand to hoist her up. As she stood up a thunderous, almond scented fart erupted unbidden from her backside.

The poison magic in the bowl was crafted with devious care and designed to pass from bowl to food to stomach, there to unleash the full brunt of the poison while shielding it against spells and curatives, thereby causing certain death.

The ghost of the doorjack could not undo this magic, but it could slow the release of the poison considerably. This it continues to do, trading away its essence to save the life of the war wizard.

These days find Imcharla forever cold and seeking the warmth of a fire. She wears layered robes and her skin is cold to the touch. Her fellow Wizards of War do not shun her, though some (like Jassur Bralhost) avoid her as much as possible.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 17 Feb 2014 09:49:33
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  08:12:51  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Savander Kiriag

Savander Kiriag is tall and lanky, with gnarled hands, tanned arms and a tanned face, the later covered in a growth of facial hair just short of a beard but never less than stubble. His sapphire blue eyes could fairly be described as enchanting, but this spell is broken by his gap-toothed grin, unkempt wiry hair and simple, uncultured speech.

Savander has spent the better part of his life as a manual laborer and fixer of things, working in and around Arabel for as long as he can remember. What little family he has is scattered throughout Cormyr as far south as Teziir, most of them earning a living by making or mending a variety of things, whether tools, wagon wheels, doors or sails.

Savander enjoys the company of his extended family when they winter in Arabel, but he does not miss them when they leave.

The breadth of Savander’s experience is such that he can fix or mend anything capable of being repaired. He has neither the coin nor the wherewithal to make objects from scratch, preferring instead to fix things already made and sometimes make them better in the process.

Savander is not the sort of person one might expect to find in the ranks of the Wizards of War, but he is a member in good standing, if infrequently utilized.

Unlike most War Wizards, Savander is not garrisoned with other mages or sent out on Purple Dragon patrols. Instead he can be found working in his small home/shop near Calantar’s Gate or at the sight of any major construction work in the city.

This is deliberate, as Savander is forbidden to assist his fellow Wizards of War unless raw magical power is required.

The particulars of how Savander’s ability was discovered are a secret that no war wizard or courtier has yet learned. Neither Ganrahast or Vainrence will discuss the matter and most war wizards prefer to avoid the topic as much as they prefer to avoid Savander himself.

Savander is not so tight lipped, as he responds to most requests for information with a wide “see how many teeth I’m missing?” grin.

In emergencies where a war wizard of great power is needed to address a problem but is not available, or when the might of several war wizards are required to complete a ritual casting but only one or two mages are present (or there is no time to cast a ritual spell), Savander is called upon to assist.

This is because when a mage casts a spell while in skin-to-skin contact with Savander (usually with Savander standing behind the mage he is assisting, his hand on the nape of his fellow war wizard’s neck), all dice effects of that spell are maximized and the spell’s range, area of effect (if any) and duration are all enhanced (roll 1d6+1 for each spell trait and multiply the result by the normal maximum for each; instantaneous effects thus lasting for 2-7 rounds with the mage allowed to pick new targets and effectively move the effect each round).

Savander’s ability debilitates the mind of the mage he assists, leaving that mage anywhere from dazed to unconscious or (rarely) feebleminded after a single assisted casting.

Only the most experienced war wizards can withstand this effect long enough to cast a handful of spells before feinting into mind-numbed unconsciousness, but there has yet to be a time where such effort was insufficient to allow a single war wizard to quell a rampaging fire in Arabel, move the entirety of a collapsed tower to uncover survivors, or hurl away a flock of foraging wyverns.

Savander cannot cast or memorize spells in the normal manner. What few spells he knows are drawn from the minds of the mages he assists; the pattern for a given spell appearing in his mind as the mage he’s touching casts a spell. These spells Savander can unleash with an act of will, regardless of the spell’s normal casting time and its requirements for spell components or somatic gestures. All such spells have minimal effect and disappear from his mind when cast.

Savander’s ability to gather spells in this manner has outlasted the few attempts Ganrahast has made to test the extent of his power: the war wizards participating in these tests all feinting before Savander failed to retain a just cast spell.

For his part Savander does not consider himself much of a wizard, preferring to work with his hands and tools to repair anything given to him for fixing. When not busy working he finds his way well beyond Arabel's walls, there to safely unleash the spells in his mind.

This can be difficult for him in the winter months. Thus he is most likely to be holding spells in his mind at this time.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 17 Feb 2014 09:27:09
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  08:13:25  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welvore Hammerfist

Standing over seven feet tall, Welvore Hammerfist has little trouble looking over the heads of his fellow Wizards of War, Purple Dragons or courtiers occupying the Royal Palace in Suzail.

Welvore is the great-great-grandson of Chalasse of Immersea, herself a rich clothing merchant who made her fortune over a century ago selling her wares and aiding adventuring bands—the later invested in her business and bequeathed her much wealth and not a small amount of magic in return for her timely aid in keeping their hidden treasure safe from thieves.

Chalasse’ only daughter, Saerendra, married Landreld Hammerfist, a cook who worked long hours at the Immer Inn and was responsible for the exotic (and usually disastrous) combinations of items that appeared on the menu. Saerendra purchased the Inn when it fell on hard times and gifted it to its hapless cook, but only after he promised to turn the cooking over to another and raise a family with her instead.

Saerendra opted to keep her wealth hidden around Immersea, using it to purchase property and maintain a balance of sorts against the growing-year-by-year ambitions of the Stormswords, Wyvernspurs and Cormaerils as each noble family sought (and still seeks) to outdo the others in matters of wealth and influence in the Immersea region where their powerbase lies.

Saerendra’s descendants continue the family tradition of carefully checking and balancing the interests of noble powers against one another and were quiet supporters of the Suzail Writ. The family looks to the prosperity of the common Cormyrean first and maintains a fearless attitude of disdain towards nobles who fail in this regard. This tradition of quiet service has not gone unnoticed by the Crown, whose spies watch the family carefully and with an eye towards elevating the family to the nobility when the time is right.

Welvore is the first of his generation of Hammerfists to leave Immersea. His younger siblings and numerous cousins operate the rooming houses, taverns, inns and various other shops (such as the original Chalasse’s Fine Clothing) owned and managed by the family elders. His older sister Talantha is also gifted with skill at Art and has assumed the role of house wizard for the family.

Careful to remain neutral in matters professional and ever mindful of the politicking amongst war wizards and the numerous courtiers who run affairs at the Royal Palace, Welvore attends his duties with diligence and care while learning all he can about politics at court. He collects friends and allies and has earned the respect of his fellow war wizards.

His size and stature draw much attention his way and he welcomes each opportunity to serve. He is not afraid to use his deep voice and looming presence to challenge anyone while enforcing the lawful commands of the Royal family and the Mage Royal.

NOTE: Information on Chalase, the Immer Inn and the nobles living in and around Immersea can be found in Volo’s Guide to Cormyr, starting on page 152 of that fine tome. If you'd like to learn more about the Wyvernspurs, see "The Wyvern's Spur" by Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb. (Really good book too! Giogioni Wyverspur is a fop with a heart of gold.)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 17 Feb 2014 09:54:38
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  10:25:12  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

The following are several War Wizard NPCs I've created for use in my Realms games and for my own enjoyment.

I haven't got further than the names yet and am already enjoying this series of posts!

Looking forward to reading through them all

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  22:18:10  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

I haven't got further than the names yet and am already enjoying this series of posts!
I'm really glad to hear that, Damian.

Thanks also for the link in the Looking for all info about Cormyr scroll. I really do appreciate that.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29636 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  19:11:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is some really good stuff in here... If I ever get to run a Realms campaign, I will happily grab some of these NPCs and backport them for use in the 1370's timeframe.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  01:51:16  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impressive stuff, Jeremy. I'm hoping there's more to come.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  19:58:49  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you both.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2012 :  08:51:31  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working on trying to get some of these linked to their corresponding names at the start of the thread.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  10:22:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just posted the writeup for Savander Kiriag.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 25 Sep 2013 10:22:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29636 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  13:13:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just posted the writeup for Savander Kiriag.

I like this. That's a unique and creative ability.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  14:04:15  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the description for Feldran "Doraunk" Durvorkar. Hilarious.

Edited by - Thauranil on 26 Sep 2013 14:05:34
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  14:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome...all of this is now stolen/shared in my game!

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

portose_sharpe
Seeker

Ireland
51 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2013 :  13:10:21  Show Profile Send portose_sharpe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
love the posts, i am doing a cormyr game atm, and this is going to be very handy. get details. not only about the wizards but also about cormyr.

side note, maybe sticky this thread ? :)

Edited by - portose_sharpe on 30 Sep 2013 13:11:41
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  05:30:09  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by portose_sharpe

That's very nice of you to say.

If you should need more information about Cormyr, well I've been working on collecting Realmslore about Cormyr and posting it to a thread over at Loremaster.org's Realmslore section.

The thread is called Cormyr: Facts and Factoids.

There are also the Folk of Cormyr and Unique Sites & Sights: Cormyr scrolls on this forum space.

</shameless self promotion>

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 01 Oct 2013 08:53:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  05:33:06  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well considered, and done!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2013 :  07:51:56  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Well considered, and done!

Heh. Guess this means I better get to work.

(Puts The Tommyknockers down and starts writing.)

EDIT: just edited in links to all the war wizard names.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 02 Oct 2013 07:13:41
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  10:18:54  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a writeup for Tanthil Oakfist .

I totally pictured Jeff Bridges' character from the upcoming Seventh Son movie when writing up Tanthil.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 08 Oct 2013 10:21:22
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2013 :  07:23:42  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added a writeup for Taltar Battlestorm.

I'd like to spring this guy on a group of unsuspecting PCs in the middle of an inn brawl. When's the last time a war wizard ever tried to knock out a veteran fighter, eh?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29636 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2013 :  17:02:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What was updated? I'm looking for another new character to read about!

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  08:09:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies Wooly.

I try to only do edits to prior posts at the same time I plan to post a new character, but recently I found some grammar and spelling errors that just had to be fixed.

If I do this in the future, I'll post a note.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29636 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  14:24:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Apologies Wooly.

I try to only do edits to prior posts at the same time I plan to post a new character, but recently I found some grammar and spelling errors that just had to be fixed.

If I do this in the future, I'll post a note.

No worries. I just saw the thread pop back up, and I was looking forward to reading about another character.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  09:35:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ammandra Jhansibur

The middle of five spell-gifted sisters, Ammandra is believed to be dead and gone by her family. A burial plot was set aside for her at the family holdings in Thunderstone, but no remains were ever delivered by the Crown.

The truth of her fate is a secret of the realm kept by a handful of loyal Cormyreans, each working day and night to preserve Ammandra's body, if not exactly her mind, in the depths below the Royal Palace of the Purple Dragon.

If wishes and prayers could render a body dead, Ammandra’s keepers would have failed in their appointed task years ago, and the arcanists of Shade would have been freed of the Dreamdoom that is Ammandra, for her consciousness wanders in and out of the dreams of Shade’s wizards. She rides their dreams and is exposed to their fears, their hopes and their nightmares as she plies their minds for secrets.

Sometimes she falls prey to the nightmare-spawned monstrosities let loose by the mind she occupies, but her consciousness always repairs itself. No spell or psionic power has yet been able to completely banish her, capture her or keep her out for long; only the will of the dreamer has any chance to stop her.

She has no control over which mind she occupies, but she has learned to control the dreams of the young and weak minded. The intensity of a dream draws her inexorably to the mind that created it—in some cases pulling her mid-dream from one mind into another.

Before her fall Ammandra led a cadre of spell and item crafters. These war wizards improved the process by which magic items were made, striving to create a standard process that could be taught to other mages. They also worked to recreate the very best one-off magic items crafted by prior generations of war wizards.

Among these were the team rings[1], which allowed the minds of several ring-wearing war wizards to be linked, such that they could communicate with each other, monitor the health of each wizard in the team, and (rarely) share spells.

One of the first sets of new rings were being tested by Ammandra’s team when a Netherese arcanist attempted to overtake Ammandra’s mind via the ring she wore, and through it grasp and control the minds of the war wizards under her command.

Ammandra commanded her war wizards to remove their rings even as she drove the arcanist from her mind. But the arcanist’s spell—anchored by Ammandra’s team ring—overtook her consciousness and she was pulled into the mind of her foe. There a battle raged for control of the arcanist’s body. Again Ammandra drove off her foe, but not before the arcanist drew a dagger across her own throat.[2]

Desperate to free herself, Ammandra attempted to rest control of the fleeting magic left in the team rings. She succeeded in freeing her consciousness, but as the arcanist’s body expired she was drawn through the veil between worlds. Soon she found herself in one nightmare landscape after another, believing herself dead and forsaken until the night her team members—now her keepers—materialized around her and helped her fight off the dream horrors conjured by the mind she occupied.

In time her condition was understood and a plan of action undertaken to learn the secrets of Shade. Despite the efforts of her keepers, Ammandra has been unable to return to her body—her team ring still on her finger—and she will never be able to until the consciousness of the arcanist that fled its native body and arrived in Ammandra’s chooses to relinquish it.

For now the arcanist waits patiently, slowly gaining control of Ammandra’s body one muscle and nerve at a time, as she observes Ammandra’s keepers and awaits the right moment to strike.

[1] Team rings are mentioned partway through the novel “Elminster Enraged.”

[2] The arcanist was found by her husband, and to this day he preserves her body as best he can via a rudimentary stasis spell that he must renew every tenday. He has not disturbed her body; she still wears the same clothes and items, including a ring he’d never seen before the day he found her body (a ring stolen from one of Ammandra’s students).

Unbeknownst to the devoted shadovar, his actions are mirrored by Ammandra’s keepers, each of whom has a ring that they must never lose, but can never wear unless commanded to do so by Ganrahast.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 06 Jul 2014 09:21:44
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4709 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  00:22:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Ammandra Jhansibur. This entry had a real Ed-like quality to it. Very nice indeed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000