Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What term do you prefer for someone who...?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  02:15:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:

...uses magic?

The scope is the entire genre of fantasy, not just FR. And I mean the ‘common’ practitioners of magic only, not their lowly counterpart like hedge wizard, nor the more powerful one like Archmage/Archwizard/High Wizard, and not priests, either---though theurge is acceptable.

Choices:

Wizard
Witch
Sorcerer/Sorceress
Magician
Mage
Spellcaster
Magic-user
Arcanist
Spellsinger
Enchanter
Artificer
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

Every beginning has an end.

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:08:23  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizard...it just feels fantasy.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:11:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yes. Though I would have voted for Magician, if not for the fact that it's been often used to refer to RW tricksters/illusionists; and I can hardly shake off the association from my mind.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:15:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mage

but arcanist, witch, spell hurler, sorcerer, sorceress and witch work.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like there being multiple words to refer to methods of use and different traditions. Anyone who casts spells is a 'spellcaster' and anyone who uses magic is a 'magic-user' and 'magician', but more tradition-specific terms are desirable, as it is the details that help make a world come alive.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:26:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Methods of use hardly matter, I suppose. It all boils down to the author's preference. Take Tanya Huff's Wizard of the Grove duology for example. If you'd stick to FR mechanics, her wizard should be called a druid instead.

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Mage

Things are partly a matter of getting used to. Years ago, I thought of 'mage' as too uninspiring a term to attach to a practitioner of magic (the class which I've always been biased on). Lately, I got used to it. Specially that it's used alternately with wizard/sorcerer.

Edited by - Dennis on 26 Apr 2012 03:33:03
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, but (knowing Tanya) I'd LOVE to see you try to tell her that.
Better have an escape route mapped out ahead of time.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:32:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nope. Other than she and I are not close, I don't particularly like the term druid myself. (Isn't it obvious? It's not even on the list!)

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your likes or dislikes don't matter in what I was speaking of, Dennis. I was speaking of how she'd take it.
You'd be lucky to escape alive.
BB
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:43:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizard mostly, but it depends on the feel of the story, background, etc
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:49:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Wizard mostly, but it depends on the feel of the story, background, etc

I think this is a good point. For instance, in stories where females are on the spotlight, it's more appropriate to refer to them as sorceresses or witches, than the gender-neutral wizard/mage.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:49:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to use "mage" when describing arcane caseters, at least in a more serious context. More casually, I call them spellslingers.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:52:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

'Spellslinger' sounds too rudimentary...As if all spells are supposed to be 'slung.'

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:56:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

'Spellslinger' sounds too rudimentary...As if all spells are supposed to be 'slung.'

But it represents the common image held of power hungry wizards in the Forgotten Realms to me.

A "Spellslinger" is someone who works magic quite often in the pursuit of what they desire to me...and at times the term is an insult in my Forgotten Realms games where a commoner may call a Zhent or Red Wizard a Spellslinger instead of wizard; because they think of wizards as a helpful lot and don't want to give credit to the evil sobs they dislike.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:09:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

scererar's point applies here. Remember, not all wizards are power-hungry. So if you'd use a general term for users of magic, 'spellslingers' or 'spellhurlers' is hardly...appropriate, IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:14:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adept, Initiate, Disciple, and Magus are fine terms. Nethermancer is also cool.

I long preferred Sorcerer and Warlock - until D&D applied bad definitions to them.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:29:07  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finger wiggler or dress wearer.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:33:07  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Adept, Initiate, Disciple, and Magus are fine terms. Nethermancer is also cool.

I long preferred Sorcerer and Warlock - until D&D applied bad definitions to them.

Nethermancer sounds like necromancer, and warlocks are often villains, or anti-heroes. Though, I agree, they're cool names.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:53:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In my case, at least, it's not meant as a serious term -- like me referring to Szass Tam as Szassy, for example.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:57:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, of the list I went with magic user, after all Priests do cast magic as well.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  05:10:03  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well, of the list I went with magic user, after all Priests do cast magic as well.

I intentionally did not include priests. I'm only referring to users of magic coming from various sources other than gods.

Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  06:05:32  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizard just reminds me of an old man with a pointy hat and a wand. So I voted for mage.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  06:15:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I tend to use "mage" when describing arcane caseters, at least in a more serious context. More casually, I call them spellslingers.

I usually adopt individual naming practice that reflect either the individual campaign or the setting, in particular.

Generically, I'll work with mage. But, more specifically, I'll often interchange between arcanist, magister, maeger [a setting-specific {non-Realms} term], and wizard.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  06:16:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In my case, at least, it's not meant as a serious term -- like me referring to Szass Tam as Szassy, for example.

I tend to use Spellslinger as a slang and/or derogatory term for those care little for the ways of mages. It's meant to reflect their "careless disregard" for slinging and hurling magic spells in the vicinity of innocent bystanders.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  07:50:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Your likes or dislikes don't matter in what I was speaking of, Dennis. I was speaking of how she'd take it.
You'd be lucky to escape alive.
BB

If you knew what I do for a living, you'd likely say she'd be lucky to escape alive.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  09:14:13  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

I tend to use Spellslinger as a slang and/or derogatory term for those care little for the ways of mages. It's meant to reflect their "careless disregard" for slinging and hurling magic spells in the vicinity of innocent bystanders.

That is what I was trying to say...but my thoughts are cluttered currently.

Well, usually my thoughts are always cluttered...but more so than normal currently!

Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  09:52:50  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weakling.

[url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series uk version[/url] [url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2009-bmw-3-series-touring-uk-version/]2009 bmw 3 series touring uk version[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  14:38:12  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nope. Other than she and I are not close, I don't particularly like the term druid myself. (Isn't it obvious? It's not even on the list!)

Terry Brooks' Druids were always more wizardly/sagely to me, even though they to technically look after the land.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  14:41:32  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Imp

Weakling.

So by this "reasoning" all warriors are morons.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  15:22:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arcanomancer.

quote:
Originally posted by Imp

Weakling.
NICE

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  16:50:03  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mage. Mostly Audible Glamers and Explosions.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000