Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vampires of Note and Age
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  03:36:35  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While I love the Realms very much I admit I prefer a different role-playing setting, World of Darkness. And a big part of World of Darkness is vampires. In WOD there are many vampires well over 1,000....and some even over 6,000 years old. So jumping between the two worlds (Realms and WOD) can feel a little strange. Now I understand that the realms is a fantasy campaign and not a vampire one so don't misunderstand me but in all my time of reading the realms (and I confess that it doesn't amount to that much really) I have only come across a few vampires. Manshoon, and....well I can't remember the others. Anyway I got the feeling that they weren't very old. Probably 200 tops.

So....

1. Are there any notable vampires in the realms?
2. From these how old are they said or suggested to be? 100? 200? 500?
3. How do you see vampires in the realms? Are there any ancient vampires old enough to have seen Netheril's glory, even if they are now just sleeping away the centuries undergound?

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)

Edited by - Light on 08 Apr 2012 03:38:18

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  04:27:57  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The plethora of vampires that practically run Westgate for one. They're statted out in detail in a Lords of Darkness supplement (I believe) and most of them are probably over a few hundred years old.

There is the Manshoon clone, which you mentioned.

Aside from some sourcebooks which might detail a vamp or two, they're not really that common in the Realms, well enough to make a strong presence known in sourcebooks and novels.

I'm sure there are a few Vampires running around Daggerdale (aptly named because of a vampire infestation that occured quite a while ago).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  04:32:41  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ulgar the Undying in the Pirate Isles is over two thousand years old as of 1370 according to the Forgotten Realms wiki.
I remember a Vampiric Dragon named Brimstone from the Year of Rogue Dragons series. Dragons of Faerūn lists him as an advanced smoke drake.
There's also Bhodi and Mordoc from the Baldur's Gate games. I don't recall how old they are.

As for your last question... personally, I see Toril as a place full of enough magical beasts and other predators that vampires aren't as big a threat as they are in my (very limited) understanding of World of Darkness. They can make for a good villan, if played right, but most would probably wind up on the business end of a Paladin's sword.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  05:24:19  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

As for your last question... personally, I see Toril as a place full of enough magical beasts and other predators that vampires aren't as big a threat as they are in my (very limited) understanding of World of Darkness. They can make for a good villan, if played right, but most would probably wind up on the business end of a Paladin's sword.

A vampire lord, on the other hand, would be a whole different story.

(Vampire Lord is a template you can add to a vampire. It makes them much nastier, and even allows them to walk in the sun.)

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  15:46:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally think the whole 'Rise of the Underdark' is a bid to cash-in on the 'Twilight Crowd' (C'mon - Rise of the Lycans, AND Underworld?)

Powerful, evil creatures that can't stand daylight and revel in blood-letting? Its a zombie apocalypse mixed with aberrations (Resident Evil) and a 'hidden horror revealed/returned' scenario (Thirty Days of Night.)

Could be why they've been lightening them up again to make them more like the Dark Elves from Hellboy 2, which looked more like vampires (more then the vamps from recent movies, anyway). They are releasing their own 'Golden Army'.

Anyhow, Drow are the closest lore we got to appeal to the current 'vamp craze', so its a no-brainer. Funny you created this thread, when in the Rise of the Underdark thread I mentioned how it reminded me of WoD.

EDIT: And I am not saying its a bad thing - I like the WoD vibe, and FR could have gotten shackled to something far worse, and based less upon past lore (you know... like telepathic catfish). At least this new storyline sounds interesting.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Apr 2012 15:54:03
Go to Top of Page

Eladrinstar
Learned Scribe

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  17:42:05  Show Profile Send Eladrinstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vampires have enough weaknesses, and enough desire to get themselves into situations with the living where they would be susceptible to attacks and retaliation, that truly ancient vampires are probably much more rare than, say, truly ancient liches.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  18:05:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say it was about even. In fact, at a certain point of power, all the lines blur (vamps, liches, ghosts, ncient dead/mummies, etc).

I think a creature becomes undead as a certain 'thing' (almost like a character class for the living), but then, as they become more powerful they gain generic undead (shadow?) abilities, like becoming non-corporeal (mist), possession, energy/life-draining, fear aura, paralysis, etc, etc...

So after a time, even a Ghoul Lord could give a powerful vamp or lich a run for its money - they draw their abilities from the same pool of power, and after a time, the differences between their original forms matters little. Would folks even know the difference after a certain point? An ancient ghoul, mummy, wight, or vampire might all be mistaken for -and called - a lich after a thousand years or so.

What these creatures do is get smarter - the stupid ones get killed off, but the ancient ones are both brilliant and incredibly dangerous. The reason why you don't hear about very ancient vampires is because when you do, you don't live long.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  00:11:35  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were lots of vampires in the catacombs beneath the Edificant Library in RAS's The Chaos Curse. And there's another on the loose in his "The Neverwinter Saga", who, after having his body destroyed, may be toying with the idea of moving on toward lichdom.

But I can't say that any of those vamps were particularly noteworthy.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  02:06:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artor Morlin, the "Baron of Bood" - see Eric Boyd's Waterdeep series of adventures in Dungeon magazine (back when it was a real magazine).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  04:13:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer the #3 question of the initial post;

I've always felt that there would be several amazingly powerful vampires in the Forgotten Realms...they are simply so powerful they aren't seen in the spotlight because they choose not to be.

I imagined that during the godless times of the Imaskari, an early wizard may have found Vampirism a way to extend his life...and when the Gods came, he moved on and out of the way of someone like Seker. He would still exist today as a vampire of incredible power capable of walking among the cattle he feeds on; but having long ago stopped caring for the mundane attractions of the world. Such a Vampire would have moved on to much greater heights of understanding. With most of his "weaknesses" being shed long ago, he would be frightful in the extreme; but most likely to care little about mortals.

Other vampires, I think would be the result of falling prey to vampirism just like others fall victim to being werewolves and such. I did think that such evil powers as Gargauth or Set might "reward" someone with vampirism as a gift of "Immortality" or such.

I think vampires would fit well in the Moonsea area, the Dales...almost anywhere really. A lonely castle is very entrenched in Vampire stories...but too easy to see through. I like vampires that are not looked for. A filthy hermit in the woods, a night fisherman on the riverbank catching catfish, a street thief or catburglar (who probably broke into the wrong home), or a nightwatch captain...anything really. The simpler the more of a surprise is my motto.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  04:34:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I personally think the whole 'Rise of the Underdark' is a bid to cash-in on the 'Twilight Crowd' (C'mon - Rise of the Lycans, AND Underworld?)

Except Underworld came out in 2003. Kinda late to jump on that bandwagon, which really isn't the same as the Twilight bandwagon, anyway.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  15:33:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Jander Sunstar, a personal favorite. In all of the Forgotten Realms, he is probably the vampire to have the most written about him and his situation.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  06:01:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Tammith Iltazyarra, a prominent innocent-maid-turned-slave-turned-vampire character in Richard Lee Byers' The Haunted Lands Trilogy. Relatively young, but quite cunning, strong (though not as much as a blood fiend), and could transform into bats.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 14 Apr 2012 06:10:55
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  14:59:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kierkan Rufo a former cleric of Deneir turned into an extremely powerful vampire after drinking from the chalice that contained the Chaos curse and slaughtered practically every priest in the Edificant library. Though he was eventually destroyed by Cadderly and his friends.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  20:51:34  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shyressa, a mage in the Twisted Rune.
Makal el Wisynn, a high-ranked guard in Calimport and one of pasha's favourites.
A pair of drow:
Shyntlara Auvryndar, priestess and matron of the House Auvryndar in Ched Nasad.
Tsabrak of the Blood, the Master of Necromancy (i.e. representative in Conclave) of Sshamath.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  16:05:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the country of Veldorn, the vampire lord Saed rules

Saestra Karanok (of the royal family of Luthcheq) was also a vampire

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  18:08:20  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Tsigone, a prominent innocent-maid-turned-slave-turned-vampire character in Richard Lee Byers' The Haunted Lands Trilogy. Relatively young, but quite cunning, strong (though not as much as a blood fiend), and could transform into bats.

Any relation to Tzigone of Halruaa, daughter of King Zalathorm?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  19:06:02  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume he means Tammith Iltazyarra

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  03:01:01  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Jander Sunstar, a personal favorite. In all of the Forgotten Realms, he is probably the vampire to have the most written about him and his situation.

+1 that is the name I was trying to remember
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  06:10:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Tsigone, a prominent innocent-maid-turned-slave-turned-vampire character in Richard Lee Byers' The Haunted Lands Trilogy. Relatively young, but quite cunning, strong (though not as much as a blood fiend), and could transform into bats.

Any relation to Tzigone of Halruaa, daughter of King Zalathorm?

Oops. I can't believe I mixed the names up! No, not Tsigone. It's TAMMITH Iltazyarra.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  07:01:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I've always felt that there would be several amazingly powerful vampires in the Forgotten Realms...they are simply so powerful they aren't seen in the spotlight because they choose not to be.

Only when necessary that is; and when their masters choose to, given that many of them have undead masters (liches). Szass Tam, for one, have several.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  01:12:47  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Lord Karsus

[/quote

isn't he the "good" vampire

if so yep i like him

good vamp is much more believable than a "good" drow

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  01:39:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach

[/quote

if so yep i like him

I wouldn't label Jander as "good," strictly, in terms of D&D alignment. Neutral, certainly, with some good tendencies. But like most vampires, he must indulge in the intake of fresh blood from victims, though he's particularly "discriminatory" in whom he selects for this bloodletting.

At most, I'd say he's the Realms-equivalent of Morbius the Living Vampire of Marvel Comics. He's not really good, or evil, really, but something in-between.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  04:45:35  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by coach

[/quote

if so yep i like him

I wouldn't label Jander as "good," strictly, in terms of D&D alignment. Neutral, certainly, with some good tendencies. But like most vampires, he must indulge in the intake of fresh blood from victims, though he's particularly "discriminatory" in whom he selects for this bloodletting.

At most, I'd say he's the Realms-equivalent of Morbius the Living Vampire of Marvel Comics. He's not really good, or evil, really, but something in-between.

Is Jander still "alive"?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  05:04:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what we know... Jander wanted to die in rays of the sun at the end of Vampire of the Mists. However, the Mists of Ravenloft snatched him away before he could be burned, determined to keep him alive in his tortured existence. If you're looking for more about Sunstar, I suggest you pick up Children of the Night: Vampires for his latest mention. Jander also received some updated treatment in the 3e RL Champions of Darkness resource.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  15:58:46  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thibbledorf Pwent is now a vampire on the side of good, after being a Gutbuster for so long. Interesting twist on a great character.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  00:17:01  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When did this happen, Seravin? Is the new RAS out already?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  11:42:26  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Thibbledorf Pwent is now a vampire on the side of good, after being a Gutbuster for so long. Interesting twist on a great character.

When did that happen?
Its certainly a surprise thats for sure though in hindsight he did get his throat ripped out by a vampire so maybe i shouldn't be so shocked.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  18:19:21  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

When did this happen, Seravin? Is the new RAS out already?

(spoiler)Korvin Dor'crae killed Pwent at the end of Gauntlgrym.

In the comic mini-series "Neverwinter Tales", Pwent is back, but he's changed into a vampire. (I haven't read it yet--just online excerpts.)

I now call him Vamp-Pwent.
(/spoiler)

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 04 Jun 2012 20:11:17
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  20:38:29  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

From what we know... Jander wanted to die in rays of the sun at the end of Vampire of the Mists. However, the Mists of Ravenloft snatched him away before he could be burned, determined to keep him alive in his tortured existence. If you're looking for more about Sunstar, I suggest you pick up Children of the Night: Vampires for his latest mention. Jander also received some updated treatment in the 3e RL Champions of Darkness resource.

-Though I doubt he'll be mentioned/referenced ever again, I hope Eldath takes him away somewhere where he can finally find peace.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2012 :  01:42:12  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I didn't mean to spoil anyone. He was "killed" by a vampire in Guantlgrym so it shouldn't be too suprising that he may have risen as an undead. But yes, in the latest comics he Pwent is a vampire and he's feeding on goblins and orcs rather than good folk. It's a great twist!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000