Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What Realms product(s) do you return to...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  22:36:58  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
...because it makes you happy?

That is, what sourcebook, novel, adventure, computer game or (other) do you find yourself thinking about or wanting to look at repeatedly, even after you’ve read or made use of the item several times already, because you want to re-read something in it, because it excites your mind or because it fuels your imagination?

Sourcebook-wise, for me it’s Volo’s Guide to Cormyr. I’ve read it back to front I don’t know how many times, but it’s so good it’s like a cookie jar that never runs out because each time I look at it I get new ideas for NPCs and unique locations, plus it’s very good at conjuring up images in my head of what Cormyr is. That book is total brain fuel.

Novel-wise, it’s the Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy (specifically the Ranger’s Three) and Cormyr. The former is just cool because you have heroes that aren’t superpowered who are winning out against some very powerful foes and a lot hangs on what they do. The later helps me get my Cormyr buzz but it also frustrates me because I don’t want to see the historical portions stop at one chapter apiece, so I re-read what's in it to see if I can tease out something I've missed.

So...what does it for you?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2012 :  22:50:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For sourcebooks, it's Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. This is the book that made me fall in love with the Realms.

When I was trying to replace my copy, it took a few tries to get one in good shape. I took the one in the second-best shape, and it now permanently resides in my car -- I read it when in line at a drive-thru, or waiting for my wife to come out of a store, or situations like that.

I also have the pdf of the book, and among other places, it's on a thumb drive that's always on my person when I'm out and about.

For novels, it's either the Finder's Stone trilogy or the Songs & Swords books.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  02:15:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of sourcebooks, I'd have to say it would be either Sea of Fallen Stars [for just the remarkable amount of Schend-lore that still, to this day, inspires so many of my greatest campaign-hooks and NPC-concepts] or Lost Empires of Faerûn [simply because I've always been a sucker for the history of the Realms and the significant impact it has had on the modern-day setting].

For novels, I'll offer Elfsong. It's probably the Realms novels I've re-read the most often because it always reminds me just how much I love both Elaine's writing, and what I jokingly refer to as my Realms alter-ego... Danilo.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  04:32:08  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, this is tough on the book/sourcebook side, but for the video game side it is indubitably the Baldur's Gate trilogy, specifically Baldur's Gate 2, which was the first Realms material I consumed that I understood came from the Realms and led me down the rabbit hole after ever more lore of this rich world.

Lost Empires of Faerun is my favorite 3.5e era sourcebook, and touches on the history of the setting which is one of it's biggest draws to me, though I also like all the Volo's Guides for making the current world feel real, and Faiths and Avatars for giving such excellent detail on the priests and activities of the deities' faithful, which helps make portraying the faithful easier for a DM or cleric player.

I can't pick a specific novel I come back to again and again, since I re-read Realms novels pretty regularly. I enjoyed City of Splendors and Cormyr immensely, like any Ed Greenwood novel for all the scenes from the viewpoint of minor or ordinary characters and people, and it's fun to re-read the more "small focus" adventure novels like Azure Bonds, or the first Drizzt books as a change from the more world changing novels.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  06:56:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, this is a hard one (OK I will drop that bad joke).

Purely Realms here, so I will stay away from Al Quadim. The grey box. Again and again. And the 2nd. ed set. These are the ones that give the starting ideas, the basis for a game. The Forgotten Realms Adventures book, Fonstad and Elminsters Ecologies usually follow. These are the only Realms books I have needed to buy duplicates of as the old ones have been worn out.

Adventures? I never really thought the Realms adventures where that good. The Time Of Trouple Trilogy has some great encounters within the railroad and there is the Night Parade adventure in Dungeon (60,61?), but thats about it.

As for novels, the only ones I have read more than twice (and would read again) are the Moonshae books, Elaines first two books, Spellfire, Crown of Fire and The Night Parade.

I think I would have had a completely different list ten years ago, but with time I have grown to prefer the more lore-light books over later developments. I still like works by writers like Schend and Boyd, but it feels like their Realms, not mine, so I get less enjoyment out of them than I used to.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  11:44:17  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always seem to default to the original grey boxed-set. I find it helps to get the original text of the setting as a starting point. That and the Grand History of the Realms seem to get thorough use. I love the Volo guides, too!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  15:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sea of Fallen Swords, for me. So many great new ideas, places to play in, added dimensions to places you thought you already knew, plus new races and magical jedi. What's not to love?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  15:59:34  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy of Sea of Fallen Stars, what with how everybody keeps mentioning it.

Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  16:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For source books, either the OGB or FR2 Moonshae (I loved how it was set pre-OGB and thus provided great background detail without a timeline advance).

For novels, it is the Moonshae Trilogy hands down. I have probably read that trilogy 6 times and will likely read it again sometime this year.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  18:58:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy of Sea of Fallen Stars, what with how everybody keeps mentioning it.

It's a personal fave, and it was one of the first ones I bought on pdf.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  20:59:50  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sourcebooks: Forgotten Realms Atlas by Fonstad and Adventures. I love the detailed drawings in the the atlas and love the city descriptions in the later.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  21:12:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SoFS: The art was awesome - I wish we had more like that. Art just for art's sake. I really have very little interest in underwater adventures, but I do love pirate story-lines (making it partially useful), and that book was definitely one of the better put-together sources. Steven's work always reminds me of Ed's so closely I often have to remind myself its not Ed's (and thats a HUGE compliment) - his attention-to-detail is inspiring.

Thats not my fav though - that would be the OGB, followed closely by The North, both of which I still seem to dig-up undiscovered kernels from every time I read them.

Novels: Evermeet: Island of Elves, hands down. I've read it four times, and will buy it again just so I can read it some more. Another book where you walk away with new things every time you read it.

Most of the 2e sources were amazing; sadly, the modules were usually pretty bad. IMHO (and where the most mistakes crept in).

3e it would be Lost Empires of Faerûn (same reasons Sage gives).

4e? ummmm... I really loved my signed copy of Swordmage, and it was a great read. Sadly, even if I get another copy, it will never be the same (I won mine in a WotC drawing). Anyhow, you know how I self-judge a good book? When the main villain has me clenching my hands when I read his parts of the story (honestly - people have caught me gritting my teeth and making a 'snarling' face as I read certain parts). When I can get that subconsciously emotional about a villain, then I know the author has done his job. Gawd, I hated that elf from Swordmage! I wanted to ring his neck myself!

Heroes are fairly easy to write, but a great villain? Not so much.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Apr 2012 22:52:55
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  21:30:38  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FR triad of religion books always inspire me. Love the detailing of each deity, priests and lore of each faith. Grand History of the Realms for when I want to read about past events. Aurora's Catalogue for the unusual things. And best for last, the FRIA, for all its wonderful richness and myriad of maps from which to expand.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  22:20:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I could see how the title suggests a somewhat limited perspective for use in one's campaign -- the Sea of Fallen Stars and it's immediate surroundings. But that's the magic of Steven's writing. He includes so much more than just the Sea of Fallen Stars. We're presented with creatively applicable info about the regions above its shores, below the waves, around the shores, and practically every little hidey-hole and curious location in-between.

In fact, as I've said before, while the Western Heartlands may be the true *heart* of the Realms, the Inner Sea is the source from where the *blood* of the Realms really starts flowing out.

At least, that's the way Steven Schend makes me feel every time I open this book.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2012 :  03:15:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, re. Villains:
Don't miss the next anthology co-edited by Ed and Gabrielle Harbowy, due this summer from Dragon Moon Press: WHEN THE VILLAIN COMES HOME.
It has stories in it by Erik Scott de Bie, Rosemary Jones, and Ed, just to give a few familiar names, and Ed tells me it has all sorts of different takes on villains - - including "two fantasy tales that made me shiver." I'm looking forward to this one!

And to stay on-topic for Jeremy: ALL of the Volo's Guides, first and foremost. Then Cormyr: A Novel. Then Forgotten Realms Adventures, and then the Fonstad FR Atlas.
Then Cloak and Dagger, then FR1 Waterdeep and the North . . .and then I fall to wishing that Lost Empires of Faerun had be lead-written by Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2012 :  04:00:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grey Box...all I can say.

Novel: I can't pick one...I like too many.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2012 :  11:03:34  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Novels: Any book by either Elaine Cunningham, Ed Greenwood, or Steven Schend.

Sourcebooks: Lands of Intrigue (2e), City of Splendors - Waterdeep (3e/3.5), and Lost Empires of Faerun (3e/3.5). There is just too much info in those sourcebooks that keep me awake with plots to work into my campaings.

Computer Game: Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 for the Playstation 2. Too many hours of game time and I still play it.

Adventure: I only have 1 3e/3.5 adventure for the Forgotten Realms that I've played, and it's set far from my favorite corner of Faerun (I prefer the Sword Coast, for some strange reason). But the stuff it has for items and monsters, I looted them for my own use. I have some 2e adventures, but I'm AFB (except for the PDFs I have, and not enough time at the moment to look through them--too much to do)

Other: A Grand History of the Realms. The part of me that loves going through history (be it real or fantasy) demands that I never leave home without it, including taking it to where I work so I can get into long discussions with one of my closest work buddies and then point out "this is what happened and when" when we get to the point of "yes/no it didn't". Love those moments.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  08:48:26  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xnella Moonblade-Thann

Other: A Grand History of the Realms. The part of me that loves going through history (be it real or fantasy) demands that I never leave home without it, including taking it to where I work so I can get into long discussions with one of my closest work buddies and then point out "this is what happened and when" when we get to the point of "yes/no it didn't". Love those moments.
Hey that's pretty awesome.

I wish my work situation included one or more Realms experts I could talk with on the job.

Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  12:17:28  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I had to pick one, it would be the great Faiths and Avatars - I love clerics, and the Gods of the Realms are maybe my favourite aspect of the setting.

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Adventures? I never really thought the Realms adventures where that good. The Time Of Trouple Trilogy has some great encounters within the railroad and there is the Night Parade adventure in Dungeon (60,61?), but thats about it.

Dungeon 61 - "Storm Season".

Edited by - Thieran on 08 Apr 2012 12:18:47
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  04:09:47  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say Volo's Guides. I love just wandering the realms that way...so many personal touches (a 2 page Turkey Pie recipe for instance). It has all the detail and deeply connected character that I love about the realms (and all of Ed's work). Every time I pick one up there will be some new connection or tidbit revelation that I find.

I had the same experience with Silver Marches and Lost Empires of Faerun in 3.ed

-Eli

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  07:21:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

If I had to pick one, it would be the great Faiths and Avatars - I love clerics, and the Gods of the Realms are maybe my favourite aspect of the setting.

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Dungeon 61 - "Storm Season".

That's it, thanks. That's probably the most fun I have ever had running an established adventure. And a fitting end to our last Monty Haul campaign (damn you Encyclopaedia Magica) with a lot of magical weapons being wasted without a single protest or bad feeling. Maybe I should take a look at the adventure again.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  15:38:45  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to Anything.

The 2nd edition sourcebook on The Moonsea (I get giddy goosebumps just pulling it out and seeing the cover).

The Old Grey Box Set.

The 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover.
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  07:36:02  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've re-read Servant of the Shard a few times. There are some other things I would probably add to the list if I didn't force myself to not re-read stuff when I have so much stuff to read a first time. But that novel does make me quite happy.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  03:32:46  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my hey-day I loved the North, the 2E Grey Box, FR Adventures, and Faiths and Avatars.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  03:35:09  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I don't know about you, but there are actually certain passages that I liked reading time and time again just because I loved them.

The one that stands out the best to me is in one of the books from the 2E Grey Box, Ed relates a story about a young woman at a Con shedding a tear because she's about to sacrifice herself for her party.

Something about that whole paragraph just made me fall in love with the Forgotten Realms and role-playing all over again whenever I started to forget.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 11 Apr 2012 03:35:38
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  17:20:56  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to the Dales .... for it reminds of so many parts of New England and the Northeast U.S. that I frequent.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  18:37:16  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires led by Ed.....mmmmmmmmm.....that sound like
the most fun you can have with your clothes on (and sometimes off).
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  20:59:58  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hey that's pretty awesome.

I wish my work situation included one or more Realms experts I could talk with on the job.

Alas, he was fired for what was really an very minor incident. There are a few others who are into the Realms, but I only see them for a few moments because they are coming in to work when I'm leaving.

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  18:16:41  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alas, he was fired for what was really an very minor incident. There are a few others who are into the Realms, but I only see them for a few moments because they are coming in to work when I'm leaving.

Bummer.

But at least you get a few moments a day. That's still something, right?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  01:10:39  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal faves? Easy!

For sourcebooks, it's got to be Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves, and also the Menzo and DDGttU books. I love all of these for the lore on elves and drow (yes, I know everyone knows my fascination with pointed ears...)

Novels, Evermeet, and The Starlight and Shadows trilogy, for much the same reasons, as well as Homeland and Exile.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  12:41:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I read some 1E and 2E novels after 3E, which was my introduction to the Realms.

I'd choose The Simbul's Gift, Arcane Age (Netheril) Trilogy, and Daughter of the Drow.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000