Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Knight (v3.5) revised
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  03:09:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I was looking at alternative classes that substitute for the Knight from the Player's Handbook 2 and I realized that it would just be better to re-work and polish up the knight they put out. Keep in mind I made this well over a year or two ago but since I'll probably never let v3.5 die, well here's my rendition.

P.S.- I looked to see if I had already posted it somewhere but I couldn't find it with the search engine. If I had already done so at some point, I apologize.

KNIGHT

Alignment: Any Lawful
Starting Gold: 6d4x10
Starting Age: Same as Paladin

LvL   BAB  Fort | Ref | Will                      Special
1st   +1    +0    +0    +2          Fighting Challenge +1, Knight's Challenge, knight's code
2nd   +2    +0    +0    +3          Knight's calling, shield block +1
3rd   +3    +1    +1    +3          Bulwark of defense
4th   +4    +1    +1    +4          Armor mastery (medium), test of mettle
5th   +5    +1    +1    +4          Bonus feat, fighting challenge +2, vigilant defender
6th   +6    +2    +2    +5          Shield ally
7th   +7    +2    +2    +5          Knight's calling feature
8th   +8    +2    +2    +6          Call to battle, shield block +2
9th   +9    +3    +3    +6          Armor mastery (heavy)
10th  +10   +3    +3    +7          Bonus feat, fighting challenge +3
11th  +11   +3    +3    +7          Knight's calling feature
12th  +12   +4    +4    +8          Daunting challenge
13th  +13   +4    +4    +8          Improved shield ally
14th  +14   +4    +4    +9          Shield block +3
15th  +15   +5    +5    +9          Bonus feat, fighting challenge +4
16th  +16   +5    +5    +10         Bond of loyalty
17th  +17   +5    +5    +10         Imedtuous endurance
18th  +18   +6    +6    +11         Strenght of the mighty
19th  +19   +6    +6    +11         Shield block +4
20th  +20   +6    +6    +12         Bonus feat, fighting challenge +5, loyal beyond death

d12 Hit Die

Class Skills: 2 + Int per level (x4 at 1st level) - Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Ride (Dex), Swim (Str).

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Knights are proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor and shields (including tower shields).

Knight's Challenge: A knight can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 1/2 his class level + his Charisma modifier. As a knight gains levels, he gains a number of options to use in conjunction with this ability:

• Fighting Challenge (Ex): As a swift action, a knight can issue a challenge against a single opponent. The target of this ability must have an Intelligence of 5 or higher. If the target meets the requirements, the knight receives a +1 bonus to attacks, damage, and Will saves against that opponent for a number of rounds equal to 5 + Charisma modifier. If you are capable of issuing a knight's challenge more than once per day, you can use this ability more than once in a single encounter. If your first chosen foe is defeated or flees the area, you can issue a new challenge to a different foe. You cannot switch foes if your original target is still active. At 5th level, the bonus you gain from this ability increases to +2. At 10th level, it rises to +3. At 15th level it rises to +4. At 20th level, it rises to +5.

• Test of Mettle (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a knight can shout a challenge to all enemies, calling out for the mightiest among them to face you in combat. Any target of this ability must have an Intelligence score of 5 or higher. You must have line of sight and line of effect to the targets of this ability. As a swift action, a knight can expend one use of his knight's challenge ability to cause all your enemies within 100 feet to make Will saves (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + Cha modifier). Creatures that fail this ability are forced to attack you with their melee, ranged, or spell attacks in preference over other available targets. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to 5 + Cha modifier.
    An opponent compelled to act in this manner is not thrown into a mindless rage and does not have to move to attack you in melee if doing so would provoke attacks of opportunity against him. In such a case, he can use ranged attacks against you or attack any opponent he threatens as normal. Creatures affected by test of mettle who do not attack the knight receive a -2 penalty to all attacks and damage rolls against other targets. A knight who is reduced to 0 hp or fewer from opponents affected by this ability receives one additional use of his Knight's challenge ability for the day.

• Call to Battle (Ex): Starting at 8th level, as an immediate action, a knight can expend one use of his knight's challenge ability to grant an ally another save against a fear effect. The target gains a bonus on this save equal to your Charisma bonus. This ability reflects your talent to inspire your allies in the face of a daunting foe.

• Daunting Challenge (Ex): Starting at 12th level, as a swift action, a knight can expend one of his knight's challenge ability to issue a daunting challenge. This ability affects all creatures within 100 feet of you that have an Intelligence of 5 or higher. All targets who meet the condition must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 you class level + Cha modifier) or become shaken for a number of round equal to 5 + Charisma modifier.

• Bond of Loyalty (Ex): Starting at 16th level, you can expend one use of your knight's challenge ability to make an additional saving throw against a mind-affecting spell or ability. You can use this ability once per round as a free action and can continue to use it even if an opponent is controlling your actions with a mind-affecting spell or ability.

• Loyal Beyond Death (Ex): At 20th level, if you are reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by an effect that otherwise leaves your body intact, you can expend one use of your Knight's challenge ability to remain conscious and continue to act for 1 more round before dying. You can use this ability even if your hit point total is -10 or lower. if you body is somehow destroyed before your next action (such as by disintegrate) then you cannot act. You can keep using Knight's challenge to stay alive and if you receive healing that bring you above -10, you survive or fall unconscious as appropriate.

Knight's Code: A Knight does not gain bonuses when flanking, never strikes a flat-footed opponent, and never deals lethal damage to a helpless foe. If he violates this code, he looses one of his knight’s challenges for the day, (if he has none, then he takes a -2 on attack rolls and saves for the rest of the day). For more information on the Code, refer to page 27 of the Player's Handbook II.

Knight's Calling: At 2nd level, you can chose between two callings that lead you further down the path of knighthood:

• Cavalier- This path grants you the Mounted Combat feat at 2nd level. At 5th level and every 5 levels afterward you can choose another feat taken from the following list: Animal Affinity, Mounted Archery, Ride-by-Attack, Short Haft, Spirited Charge, Trample, and Weapon Focus (lance or one-handed melee weapon). At 7th level, your determination and drive for mounted warfare has given you insights to better controlling your mount. From now on, you reduce any Ride check DC by 5 and ignore any armor check penalty while mounted. At 11th level, you gain the services of a powerful warhorse (or warpony for small knights). This ability functions just like the Druid's animal companion ability, except that the knight's effective druid level is one-half his knight's level. The knight cannot select from a list of alternative animal companions like the Druid can.

• Vigilant Protector- This path grants you the Endurance feat at 2nd level. At 5th level and every 5 levels afterward you can choose another feat taken from the following list: Agile Shield Fighter, Diehard, Greater Fortitude, Improved Shield Bash, Shield Slam, Shield Sling, Shield Specialization, and Shield Ward. You must still meet any requirements for the feat you select. At 7th level, your stalwart defense has taught you to use your shield more effectively. From now on, you no longer receive an armor check penalty from shields you wield and any ally you are adjacent to may receive a +1 shield bonus to his AC (this bonus stacks with any other shield bonus allies might have). At 11th level, the bonus adjacent allies receive to AC increases to +2 and you gain DR 2/-.

Shield Block (Ex): At 2nd level, during a knight's action he can designate a single opponent as the target of this ability. A knight's shield bonus to AC against that foe increases by 1.This shield bonus increases to +2 at 8th, +3 at 14th level, and +4 at 19th level.

Bulwark of Defense (Ex): At 3rd level, an opponent that begins its turn in your threatened area treats all the squares that you threaten as difficult terrain.

Armor Mastery (Ex): At 4th level, a knight is able to wear his armor like a second skin and ignore the standard speed reduction of medium armor and reduce the armor check penalty for medium armor by 1. At 9th level, you ignore the speed reduction for heavy armor and reduce the armor check penalty for medium and heavy armor by 2.

Vigilant Defender (Ex): Starting at 5th level, if an opponent attempts to use the Tumble skill to move through your threatened area or your space without provoking attacks of opportunity, the Tumble check DC to avoid your attack of opportunity increases by an amount equal to your class level.

Shield Ally (Ex): Starting at 6th level, as an immediate action a knight can opt to absorb part of the damage dealt to an adjacent ally. Each time this ally takes damage from a physical attack before your next turn, you can take half this damage on yourself. The target takes the other half as normal. A knight can only absorb damage from physical melee and ranged attacks.

Improved Shield Ally (Ex): At 13th level, your ability to absorb damage increases. Once per round you can absorb all the damage from a single attack directed against an adjacent ally. In addition, you continue to absorb half the damage from other physical attacks on an adjacent ally, if you so choose. You must decide whether to use this ability after the attacker determines that an attack has succeeded but before it rolls damage.

Impetuous Endurance (Ex): Starting at 17th level, a knight's fighting spirit enables you to push your body beyond the normal limits of endurance. You no longer automatically fail a saving throw on a roll of 1. You might still fail the save if your result fails to equal or beat the DC.

Strength of the Mighty (Su): At 18th level once per encounter, a knight can throw everything he has into one attack. This attack receives a sacred (or profane if he is evil) bonus equal to his Charisma modifier and deals an additional 50 damage if the attack is successful. In addition, the target must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw (DC = 10 + 1/2 the knight's level + Strength modifier) or become dazed for 1d4 + 1 rounds. The knight must declare that he is using this ability before he makes an attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). This ability is a full-round action and cannot be used in conjunction with a charge or martial maneuvers.

EDIT:

• Added in the coded progression table.

• Alternated the blue in for easier referencing.

• The BAB table just lists the full BAB, not the iterative attacks that follow for ease of coding.

• Added the Hit Die, which is d12.

• Put the table at the top.

Edited by - Diffan on 16 Mar 2012 20:25:44

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  04:22:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I like Armor Mastery. The Fighting Challenge ability, I made up something similar for my Samurai class. I added a temporary negative morale modifier if a challenge is made and is lost, reflecting being dishonored and having egg on your face. I like the Test of Mettle ability. I like the concept of some of the 4e class powers that 'control' the enemies, but I don't like that a lot are automatic. As a PC, I shouldn't be able to 'control' what enemies do using a mundane non-magical ability. The saving throw part basically makes it all good.

-I like the concept of Knight Challenges. In general, I think all classes should have 'pools', with 'Knight Challenges', or 'Ki', or whatever else for other classes- especially melee classes. It gives them more versatility outside of generic attack.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  05:03:22  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I like Armor Mastery. The Fighting Challenge ability, I made up something similar for my Samurai class. I added a temporary negative morale modifier if a challenge is made and is lost, reflecting being dishonored and having egg on your face. I like the Test of Mettle ability. I like the concept of some of the 4e class powers that 'control' the enemies, but I don't like that a lot are automatic. As a PC, I shouldn't be able to 'control' what enemies do using a mundane non-magical ability. The saving throw part basically makes it all good.

I hear what your saying about the 'Controlling' your enemies bit, but as you noted there is a Save for it AND they're not magially compelled to attack if more pressing matters are at hand. As such, they're not required to attack you IF they're already engaged or if the attack puts them at a serious and/or immediate disadvantage. But if they're say....shooting from afar, then they're more likely to target you. If they're about to enter melee and they fail the save, they'll attack you instead. Originally I had a much more 4E version that just punished the heck out of them if they didn't attack you and were within an aura (like the 4E Knight's ability). But I tried to stay as close to the original class as possible.

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I like the concept of Knight Challenges. In general, I think all classes should have 'pools', with 'Knight Challenges', or 'Ki', or whatever else for other classes- especially melee classes. It gives them more versatility outside of generic attack.

Agreed, but what I find a bit humorous is that there are a lot of people who didn't like the "daily power" concept of martial/non-spellcasting classes. I understand why, but then why isn't there more vocal dissent for things such as the Knight's Challenge? I mean, why can't the guy do it all the time? Sure, we can come up with easy 'in-game' solutions as to why, but so could you for Daily powers. Just something I thought was interesting as they're both practically the same thing.

As for the Knight's Challenge in general, I took out some of the requirments from the Player's Handbook 2, namely the CR restriction and the Language restriction. The first is just plain ol' silly. Mainly because I doubt it ever comes up as your more likley to be facing creatures of CR equal to your level -2 or +3 (give or take) and the restriction was a balancing measure for no reason. The second, well that directly ties into intelligence. If a creature is going to have an Int of 5 or more, most likely he'll have a Language. If not, there's a good chance he/she/it knows that your squaring off to fight openly.

I think, by far, my favorite feature I put in was the Knight's Calling ability. For one, it provides more options. I understand the whole mounted war-fare aspect but not all knights were horseman bred for mounted war. Sometimes they were temple guards, body guards, and placed in strategic areas for protection. That leads to a more Fortified Warrior than a mounted one. So the options were put there to give a character some lee-way in which calling he'd prefer.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  06:23:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I hear what your saying about the 'Controlling' your enemies bit, but as you noted there is a Save for it AND they're not magially compelled to attack if more pressing matters are at hand. As such, they're not required to attack you IF they're already engaged or if the attack puts them at a serious and/or immediate disadvantage. But if they're say....shooting from afar, then they're more likely to target you. If they're about to enter melee and they fail the save, they'll attack you instead.

-With the 4e powers as well, that's how it should all be, IMO. Looking at it in real life, I can goad you to do something, make you lose your control, whatever, and you come at me, but at the end of the day, the impetus is still on you. If you lose your cool, if you lose your composure. If you want to knock my lights out, it doesn't mean that you're going to run through traffic to do so; you'll wait until the line of cars is gone. If you want to knock my lights out, it doesn't mean that you're going to completely ignore the person who is already in the process of punching you; you'll deal with him first. The feature is basically the class pissing off the enemy, not affecting them with a Rage spell.

quote:

Agreed, but what I find a bit humorous is that there are a lot of people who didn't like the "daily power" concept of martial/non-spellcasting classes. I understand why, but then why isn't there more vocal dissent for things such as the Knight's Challenge? I mean, why can't the guy do it all the time? Sure, we can come up with easy 'in-game' solutions as to why, but so could you for Daily powers. Just something I thought was interesting as they're both practically the same thing.

-As long as they aren't somehow magical in nature, I'm fully for martial classes getting "powers" that scale as they go up in level. Tome of Battle turned generic melee fighters into interesting (and dare I say, fun) characters. In 3e, martial arts always seemed to me to be really disjointed. They were basically feat chains, as I remember, and for the most part, they were pretty underwhelming- I'm not wasting another feat after having to take one or two others to qualify to be able to make an extra kick attack. Powers in this vein seem totally made for martial arts- different moves, flexibility in using them, scaling power...

quote:

As for the Knight's Challenge in general, I took out some of the requirments from the Player's Handbook 2, namely the CR restriction and the Language restriction. The first is just plain ol' silly. Mainly because I doubt it ever comes up as your more likley to be facing creatures of CR equal to your level -2 or +3 (give or take) and the restriction was a balancing measure for no reason. The second, well that directly ties into intelligence. If a creature is going to have an Int of 5 or more, most likely he'll have a Language. If not, there's a good chance he/she/it knows that your squaring off to fight openly.

-Hey, it doesn't matter if the person is a twelve-year-old pre-adolescent punk, a grizzled Army Ranger veteran, or anything in between: if someone mouths off to the point that you are seeing red and seriously are considering popping them in the jaw, you don't sit back and think to yourself, "Hmm, this person might hand me my ass" or "Eh, this little puke isn't even worth my time". I can understand the language barrier, but challenging someone to a duel is more than just language. Body language in combat situations is pretty universal.

quote:

I think, by far, my favorite feature I put in was the Knight's Calling ability. For one, it provides more options. I understand the whole mounted war-fare aspect but not all knights were horseman bred for mounted war. Sometimes they were temple guards, body guards, and placed in strategic areas for protection. That leads to a more Fortified Warrior than a mounted one. So the options were put there to give a character some lee-way in which calling he'd prefer.

-Things like Paragon/Epic Paths are 4e concepts that I've warmed up to, that if I ever started developing deep homebrew rules that diverged a lot from 3e, I'd incorporate. Base classes should 'automatically' transition into things like this, in addition to PrCs if the player qualifies and wants them. I don't know what SNES game(s) it was (I want to same the Fire Emblem games, but I'm don't fully remember) that when you qualified to level up and get a class promotion, you'd pick one of two different off-shoots from the base class that made the character proficient in different things. Like your class, a Knight would get to choose between Mounted Combat or Armored Protection. A Ranger would choose between Bow and Sword proficiency and abilities. A Rogue might choose between being an Assassin and a Jack-of-all-Trades, maybe.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2012 :  23:47:35  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan, I'm very impressed with this PHB2 Knight re-write. Like all base classes deserve, every level should bring the character a new or improved (and compelling) class feature outside of BAB & Save evolutions. Plus, it's good to give players a difficult decision on whether to stay single-classed or go the PrC-Out or Cherry-Picking Buildcraft option. And I can see a good reason to stick with your Knight rewrite for a sizable number of levels.

That all said, I would not have a problem seeing some of your Knight's unique numerical class features get even more amped-up in the latter levels of this 20 level progression. I still see some linear power-level progression in your Knight ... instead of the power-level progression mechanics to that of the martial classes of the ToB. A good example of a CF that could use such an amp is your cool late-level "Strength of the Mighty" CF.

My own re-write of the class saw a switch of the good save over to FORT from WILL ... and then having CF's that bolstered aspects of the WILL save vs. Fear and Compulsion/Mind-Affecting type attacks. You are doing similar things like that with Bond of Loyalty and Call to Battle. Reflex saves obviously are not this class' bailywick. :-) Granted, I kinda saw what the designers were intending to do by giving the Knight a strong WILL save. I actually don't see too much of a problem giving the Knight *2* good saves, either.

Finally, regarding skills .... INT is likely to be a dump stat for this type of character. Which is unfortunate, because historical Knights often had far superior education and higher intellect than their surrounding demographic. Ergo, I gave my Knight 4 skills/level assuming that a dumped stat of 8 into INT would still net him 3 skills per level. That's definitely not an overpowering boost. And it helps the Knight's ability to be valuable outside of combat (where they should normally have a good "party face" role with their high CHA helping out there Diplomacy and Intimidate roles. I also added Martial Lore to the Knights skill list. And it could be argued via historical comparison, that Knowledge: Architecture/Engineering could be added to the list to reflect their knowledge and experience in siege warfare. Plus, that Knowledge skill is rarely seen in optimized play since it doesn't benefit a party's monster ID'ing or things like the Knowledge Devotion feat.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000