Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Quick question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  12:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Couldn't find an answer on Goog figured id check here. Stand alone books are usually in some kind of series like the fighters, even 4e books like waterdeep and the Wilds. A few books recently like Sandstorm, Unbroken chain and brimstone angels have come out that are just stand alone and are not a part of a series. I was wondering if this was going to be a thing or if they will go back, not bothered by it, the 3 look nice together.

Edited by - Archimedes of Syracuse on 06 Mar 2012 12:40:30

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  14:08:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Unbroken Chain is part of a kind of series, since there's also a follow-up, Unbroken Chain: The Darker Road. So it's a duology, of sorts.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  19:23:07  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many of the 1E- and 2E-era FR novels were written in such a way that the books could be read (or not) in no particular order; they were "standalone" yet contained references which readers of other "standalone" novels would recognize as interlinked. Of course, the most successful/popular of these eventually evolved into trilogies and sagas.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2012 :  20:44:20  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya,

Those three titles were originally part of a series of four (rounded out by Dawnbringer) called The Planetouched, but were broken out instead to start their own series.

So Unbroken Chain begins a series (also called Unbroken Chain) which currently has two books in it. The sequel to Brimstone Angels, Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils will come out this winter. I don't know about the other two.

I'm also not sure if they're planning to keep it up or go back to the four-book series or try something new. But I can say if you like these ongoing series, their continuation is likely going to rest on how well they sell.

So as a reader let me strongly recommend Unbroken Chain. Because I demand more Cree and Skagi.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  01:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome thank you very much just the answer I was looking for. Really excited to see if sandstorm gets another book I'm enjoying it a lot, brimstone or unbroken chain are next, thinking ill go brimstone since you so kindly answered my question. :) oh and that's 3 books any idea what the 4th will be called?
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  06:34:42  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome!

The four books formerly known as The Planetouched are Unbroken Chain, Sandstorm, Dawnbringer[i] and Brimstone Angels[i]

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  12:54:02  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

Hiya,

The sequel to Brimstone Angels, Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils will come out this winter.

Just finished Brimstone Angels this morning. Awesome book.
Great hearing about a sequel.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  16:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Further complicating the question is my Shadowbane series, which began with Downshadow (book 3 of the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep 6-book collective), then Shadowbane (part of the Abyssal Plague crossover event of books), and then the forthcoming Eye of Justice (all on its own). And I think my odds of continuing in that vein are fairly good. So I've written a trilogy across two different series, and am now branching out on my own, with (hopefully, he said) more books to come.

The bottom line is, WotC continues printing the stories that people buy, wherever those stories originate.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 07 Mar 2012 16:32:50
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  17:02:40  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans
Those three titles were originally part of a series of four (rounded out by Dawnbringer) called The Planetouched, but were broken out instead to start their own series.

A little levity today:

Define Irony. Unbroken Chain was originally part of a chain of titles [a series] that got broken.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help smiling when I read the wording. I don't know if you chose that particular wording on purpose in hopes that someone would catch it but, whether intended or not, it was a masterful choice!

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  17:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Further complicating the question is my Shadowbane series, which began with Downshadow (book 3 of the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep 6-book collective), then Shadowbane (part of the Abyssal Plague crossover event of books), and then the forthcoming Eye of Justice (all on its own). And I think my odds of continuing in that vein are fairly good.
I take it that the eBook only test of Shadowbane was successful then. Though I wonder how many more copies they would have sold if the had released it in PB as well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

phranctoast
Learned Scribe

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2012 :  17:12:06  Show Profile Send phranctoast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Further complicating the question is my Shadowbane series, which began with Downshadow (book 3 of the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep 6-book collective), then Shadowbane (part of the Abyssal Plague crossover event of books), and then the forthcoming Eye of Justice (all on its own). And I think my odds of continuing in that vein are fairly good. So I've written a trilogy across two different series, and am now branching out on my own, with (hopefully, he said) more books to come.

The bottom line is, WotC continues printing the stories that people buy, wherever those stories originate.

Cheers

Looks like they'll be doing it again with this, as Sword of the Gods was an Abyssal Plague book, and now, whatever this Rise of the Underdark event will lead to. Any word on that if you know? Maybe it's tied to Demon Weave.....

quote:
Spinner of Lies is a sequel to Sword of the Gods, and is also tied to the Rise of the Underdark, an event that will have bold, sweeping ramifications across (and under) the Forgotten Realms.

Currently reading: Spider and Stone by Jaleigh Johnson: Sequel to Mistshore
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  21:42:35  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75
[br
A little levity today:

Define Irony. Unbroken Chain was originally part of a chain of titles [a series] that got broken.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help smiling when I read the wording. I don't know if you chose that particular wording on purpose in hopes that someone would catch it but, whether intended or not, it was a masterful choice!

Ha! Good catch! Um, let's call it...instinctive.

phranctoast, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to WotC announcing more about it so I can share details.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000